Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone dredged this poo poo up to parade it around again.

i didnt know its a controversial point to bring up! i think its legit cool to have a protagonist working with such a bizarre character motivation, at least compared to the parade of winsome feckless orphans that square enix usually reserves for their rpg leads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Phantasium posted:

Far Cry in Jurassic Park would be pretty loving sweet. You could make nests the capture points.

Imagine rampaging around on the back of a tamed T-Rex that you can use to murder everything in your path.

Well, Blood Dragon pretty much already did it but it shot lasers aswell. Instead we got a bunch of random animals thrown around like an underfunded conservation project that all behave roughly the same and a reskinned car. Whoop-de-doo.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ddraig posted:

OK, great, but why exactly is Ubisoft presumably hiring guys to make cool as poo poo stuff and yet not punishing them profusely when they make something that isn't cool as poo poo, i.e. virtually all of the plot and story of Far Cry 4 that isn't "Blow these people up"

They WASTED MONEY making a game that has a civil war thread running through it that reads like a C grade teenager's understanding of civil war (these two people are bad, maybe they're as bad as each other, maybe they're even as bad as the bad bad man?) when they could have paid them less money and had it be Jurassic Park with Honey Badgers or spent a little more money on a guy to read over this stuff and make sure it wasn't a complete pile of poo poo. Maybe if they're that hard up for cash they could get some intern to go over it with a red pen.

on the other hand, i liked it, and i'm not a huge queerbag bitch boy

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The credits for any given Ubisoft game can take upwards of 20 minutes to finish since they're seemingly a government scheme to reduce unemployment in Canada and France, yet not one of them can be bothered to spend a day reading a few books or even watching some of the better action films.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Pisses me off that Ubi said no Blood Dragon sequel. It was a fun five hours.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

James Woods Fan posted:

What? gently caress that poo poo. That was the only Ubisoft game I've bought since Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DolphinCop posted:

i didnt know its a controversial point to bring up! i think its legit cool to have a protagonist working with such a bizarre character motivation, at least compared to the parade of winsome feckless orphans that square enix usually reserves for their rpg leads

People have gotten really salty over the "Marche is a douche!" interpretation. For what it's worth, I think it'd be neat to get more protagonists with less squeaky clean motivations, but I don't think that it was intentional in FFTA. Also, it's actually his brother that he winds up putting back in a wheelchair. Because that's... better?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

James Woods Fan posted:

quote:

"That's was what was cool about [Blood Dragon], it was surprising. It was a great use of the Far Cry 3 base, and had an awesome soundtrack. But no, you won't get another one of those. But hopefully we'll be able to surprise you with something just as much."

From here. Honestly I kinda like that better. Instead of beating the joke into the ground they want to try other stuff and try to make it just as good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phantasium posted:

Far Cry in Jurassic Park would be pretty loving sweet. You could make nests the capture points.

So Turok, then?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
God I wish there was a modern Turok game that didn't blow. The Cerebral Bore was one of the greatest weapons ever created.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hm perhaps you would like to look into Turok, released on the xbox 360 and playstation 3 consoles in the year 2008

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

THE PENETRATOR posted:

hm perhaps you would like to look into Turok, released on the xbox 360 and playstation 3 consoles in the year 2008

Notice I used the qualifier 'didn't blow'

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zombie Samurai posted:

From here. Honestly I kinda like that better. Instead of beating the joke into the ground they want to try other stuff and try to make it just as good.

Yeah if they mean "No to Blood Dragon 2, yes to Untitled Short Open-world Shooter In The Far Cry Engine With A Humorous Tone."

Speaking of which, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was pretty great.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you like fighting games play Guilty Gear Xrd on your PS3 or PS4. If you don't like fighting games don't though.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Ddraig posted:

It was mediocre at worst. The franchise hasn't been relevant in 16 years though. Turok 3 was mostly ignored on release because of the PS2 and Dreamcast.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What the next new rpg coming out?. I feel like playing skyrim but I can't play skyrim anymore.

I guess I could try dragon age.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ddraig posted:

i read your post you dumb mother fucker

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Amazon has Assassin's Creed: Unity on sale for 50% off today. Apart from the fact that the game is only a month old what's interesting is if you go to the listing there is a "product update" on the page advertising the fact that there are patches available to improve the game's performance. I don't think I've ever noticed anything like that on the site before. The bad press around Unity must have hurt that game pretty bad if they feel the need to pretty much tell people that it's not as bad as it was when all those one star review were added.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What was wrong with Unity?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

euphronius posted:

What was wrong with Unity?

You might say it lacked a certain amount of polish on release.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Grump posted:

I played Duck Tales over Thanksgiving break, go to the last level, but couldn't beat it before I went back to school.

Now I just finished finals and am back home to complete the game.

I just beat Ducktales and have started Dark Souls.

I am also playing Battlefield 3 pretty often b/c it is still fun, and I don't see a reason to buy the new one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Assassin's Creed is just an inferior Arkham Asylum, discuss.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

What the next new rpg coming out?. I feel like playing skyrim but I can't play skyrim anymore.

I guess I could try dragon age.

bloodborne

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

StashAugustine posted:

Assassin's Creed is just an inferior Arkham Asylum, discuss.

I really liked Assassin's Creed 2, mainly because of Ezio, and because it didn't go completely up its own arse like in the later ones. It had some of that, but it was mostly "Here's italy during the renaissance, go climb some tall buildings"

Arkham Asylum was loving amazing and they really did some neat things. Exploring the asylum was great, as there was an actual progression and it is an interesting place to explore. Arkham City was garbage by comparison and suffered from much the same problems later Assassin's Creed games do: It tried to be 'bigger and better' but ultimately didn't realize that in general the size of gameworld is inversely proportional to quality of what is in it. Larger is not better if what you get is a bunch of generic prefab buildings and a completely uninteresting world to explore.

Haven't played too much of Origins but I suspect it's probably in the Arkham City rather than Arkham Asylum school of design.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ddraig posted:

Arkham Asylum was loving amazing and they really did some neat things. Exploring the asylum was great, as there was an actual progression and it is an interesting place to explore. Arkham City was garbage by comparison and suffered from much the same problems later Assassin's Creed games do: It tried to be 'bigger and better' but ultimately didn't realize that in general the size of gameworld is inversely proportional to quality of what is in it. Larger is not better if what you get is a bunch of generic prefab buildings and a completely uninteresting world to explore.

same feels

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

I really liked Assassin's Creed 2, mainly because of Ezio, and because it didn't go completely up its own arse like in the later ones. It had some of that, but it was mostly "Here's italy during the renaissance, go climb some tall buildings"

Haven't played too much of Origins but I suspect it's probably in the Arkham City rather than Arkham Asylum school of design.

that's kind of balanced out by the fact you can get around so quickly as batman. after those games assassins creed just feels like playing in molasses

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The new Arkham game will let you drive the Batmobile so you'll be able to explore a lot faster as well.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

so is batman going to be running over pedestrians or is the city just going to be completely deserted

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hog Inspector posted:

so is batman going to be running over pedestrians or is the city just going to be completely deserted

I expect they will dive out of the way or similar

like you can't hit people without concentrated effort in la noire

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Arkham Asylum is a pretty iconic place. I couldn't really tell you anything about Gotham City other than "Wayne Tower is there somewhere" because it's really not focused on as an actual city but a plot device that shifts to fulfill Batman's needs.

Maybe I haven't read enough Batman comics but I always got the impression it was just a backdrop with no real character other than "Batman lives here, and it's corrupt".

I think setting a game in it is a bit of a double edged sword because it's not really well defined so you can do whatever you want with it, so you have to actually have some good ideas to create within it. I don't think Arkham City pulled it off.

^^^ Driver was the first game to pull that off, and it was pretty drat fun.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

superhero comics are really bad, youre better off not reading them

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hog Inspector posted:

I believe one of the first things they did was explain that there were going to be no pedestrians because of [plot reason] because if they didn't there would have been a small army of nerds pounding on their doors wondering about that.

Though that begs the question if there are going to be thugs to run over or if they're all going to be in areas you can't drive to.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I quite liked The Punisher (that was an actually good video game based on comics, by the way) and most of Alan Moore's superhero stuff.

I think the last time I read anything superhero related was during that Infinite Crisis thing DC had going on and it was terrible.

^^ I would assume there would be no thugs to run over either, as Batman's entire thing is He Does Not Kill, and I can't imagine running over someone in the Batmobile would be great for their general mortality.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bloodborne looks ok but ps4 only gently caress that

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So in short you're going to be driving the Batmobile in empty city streets. Makes me wonder what the point is, really.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

Bloodborne looks ok but ps4 only gently caress that

sorry for your lots

Ddraig posted:

I quite liked The Punisher (that was an actually good video game based on comics, by the way) and most of Alan Moore's superhero stuff.

I think the last time I read anything superhero related was during that Infinite Crisis thing DC had going on and it was terrible.

^^ I would assume there would be no thugs to run over either, as Batman's entire thing is He Does Not Kill, and I can't imagine running over someone in the Batmobile would be great for their general mortality.

they showed the bat mobile shooting and blowing up a tank so god knows what they'll do

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ddraig posted:

So in short you're going to be driving the Batmobile in empty city streets. Makes me wonder what the point is, really.

You can still cause massive property destruction because you're Batman.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They should get Frank Miller in to write the plot because he's gone completely off the rails and it would be fun.

Then again even Miller realized that Batman doesn't kill so it would still result in you driving around empty city streets plowing into buildings because that's the only vicarious thrill you're going to get.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theres going to be an army of drone tanks in the streets to blast. the bigger question is why you want to drive when you can fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

theres going to be an army of drone tanks in the streets to blast. the bigger question is why you want to drive when you can fly

To properly follow all traffic laws an regulations and thus maintain the moral high ground over criminals.

• Locked thread