Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leyburn posted:

The Fume Knight is really getting to me now.

I can breeze through his first phase in about a minute, but for some reason I cannot get the timing down on his second form at all. I think I last on average about ten seconds each time he goes into his second form.

If he would stay in his first form I could beat this fight in two minutes, but there's no helmet for that. :(

I know how you feel, pal. The sudden adaptation you have to do to your muscle memory is poo poo, and it doesn't help that all his attacks have really weird timing and hit like a freight train. All I can recommend is cranking your elemental defense and agility as high as you can, and maybe get a more solid shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I made up a new game called Disco Souls. I unload as many prism stones in either Grave of Saints or Door of Pharos. When people come in, I dance in all of the glorious color. I never attack, just dance and dodge. Studio 54 don't have poo poo on my club.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Alabaster White posted:

I know how you feel, pal. The sudden adaptation you have to do to your muscle memory is poo poo, and it doesn't help that all his attacks have really weird timing and hit like a freight train. All I can recommend is cranking your elemental defence and agility as high as you can, and maybe get a more solid shield.

After looking at a few videos of folks beating the fight melee on YouTube, it seems my character might just be a bit underpowered in terms of defences. Since people seem to be able to play a lot more sloppily than I was and still beat him. Although it might just be that these people are massively overpowered.

One hit from his charged up greatsword takes me for at least 80% of health. One of the videos I watched the guy was able to tank a charged up greatsword and then take a fireball to the face straight after without dying. Although admittedly I think the guy was around level 160 or something, whereas my guy is about 40 levels below that.

Still it might be time to go visit the Giant Lord a few times and maybe start looking into an actually decent armour set (instead of the poorly thought out mismatch I'm working with at the moment).

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 15, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A lot depends on the NG cycle too, Leyburn. Bosses in the DLC scale more aggressively than they do in the main game, so NG+2 and above battles require a lot of precision.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm afraid I can't use that excuse as I'm still on NG with my DLC character.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How about the excuse that you're not exactly intended to play the DLC until taking out Nashandra? :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leyburn posted:

After looking at a few videos of folks beating the fight melee on YouTube, it seems my character might just be a bit underpowered in terms of defences. Since people seem to be able to play a lot more sloppily than I was and still beat him. Although it might just be that these people are massively overpowered.

One hit from his charged up greatsword takes me for at least 80% of health. One of the videos I watched the guy was able to tank a charged up greatsword and then take a fireball to the face straight after without dying. Although admittedly I think the guy was around level 160 or something, whereas my guy is about 40 levels below that.

Still it might be time to go visit the Giant Lord a few times and maybe start looking into an actually decent armour set (instead of the poorly thought out mismatch I'm working with at the moment).

Well, I beat him on NG+ Champion (his fireball pulse attack did well over 3000 damage) with a lightning spear, without using any Wedges, so it's definitely possible while underpowered. Although, if you don't feel like having to achieve combat zen via samsara to win, you should go beef up your armor and stats first.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 15, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How long did that take? Jeez.
I like my boss fights to not be long rear end slogs.
Which is why my vigor never goes over 10. Hit harder than what you get hit by is my startegy.

I miss the wolf ring.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Bogart posted:

How about the excuse that you're not exactly intended to play the DLC until taking out Nashandra? :v:

How are you not intended to play it before Nashandra?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Getting to and killing Nashandra is basically a formality for my character at this point anyway.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gortarius posted:

How are you not intended to play it before Nashandra?

The power curve of the game intends it, the ability to access it whenever does not.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How long did that take? Jeez.
I like my boss fights to not be long rear end slogs.
Which is why my vigor never goes over 10. Hit harder than what you get hit by is my startegy.

I miss the wolf ring.

About an hour over 40 tries. A Lightning Heide Spear +10 w/ Sunlight Blade operating off 50 FTH's 2h strong attack did about 200 damage. He has, what, 15000 HP? And if he ever went near a Warmth statue, he'd gain about 10% back immediately :v:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Alabaster White posted:

without using any Wedges

Why? Why?

Leyburn posted:

You never need better armor, not in dark souls. Armor can help in some small sense but it's a waste of your time, time better spent dying to the fume knight repeatedly. And if you want to make the fight easier, never summon.

I've defeated Fume Knight more than any other boss, I guess he's kinda my DS2 favorite. Straight up, he is a really hard boss and there's no special secret strategy that makes him easy. What helps is to understand what makes him hard: fluid combos. When the fume knight starts an attack combo it can go a number of different ways and you need to pay attention and react to each swing. There is no muscle-memory roll-timing that will work without thinking.

Also the fume knight can cancel combos, pay close attention to that. The fume knight is a genius at punishing estus use, it goes way beyond just using attack combos with timing that will catch a panicked player roll-spamming to escape. He got me so many times when he cancelled a combo while I rolled expecting a follow-up. It's human psychology from there, you think "okay I dodged his attacks now I can hit him or heal real quick" but no, his recovery period started when you rolled while he wasn't attacking. If you estus, he will be able to start another attack and finish you right there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you have problems adjusting to the phase shift against the Fume Knight you should try wearing a piece of Velstadt's armor. Fume will start the fight in his second phase.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you have problems adjusting to the phase shift against the Fume Knight you should try wearing a piece of Velstadt's armor. Fume will start the fight in his second phase.

That's probably a good idea in that it will help me properly learn the second phase. It's annoying though, given I'll have now wasted at least a few hours pointlessly mastering his first phase.

My biggest problem with his second phase is that my dodge timing always seems to be way too early. In some of his combos he has a wee delay between his first and second attacks and it catches me out all the time. His slow left to right sweep I also find very tricky to time correctly, I can only get it right about 50% of the time. Which is annoying since it obviously leaves the biggest opening to attack him.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
You're getting better at the game, it's not pointless. The boss run to Gwyn is what I'd call pointless, however :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It was a great place to farm titanite so it's not like it was worthless. Just annoying when you were fighting the boss.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What i do is I estus right next to the boss.
Standing right there. Ligerally hugging the boss.

A lot of them dont know what to do when youre that close chugging an estus. It works out quite consistently if you know which attacks give you enough breathing room.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still don't understand what the thought process was during the creation of the Demon of Song.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mans posted:

I still don't understand what the thought process was during the creation of the Demon of Song.

They just went through buttville, give them a cookie so they don't kill themselves.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Mans posted:

Yo frogs are cool, let's stick a witch demon in a frog's mouth :krad:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked the Demon of Song :downs:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Me too, brother. It's a super easy boss once you figure it out, but it never stops being a cool design.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The demon of Song is a boring fight that looks really, really cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Demon of Song isn't a great fight but it's one of the best boss designs in the game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Demon of Song isn't a great fight but it's one of the best boss designs in the game.

Playing through again, I realized how much easier most of the bosses were once I didn't bother locking on to them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Max posted:

Playing through again, I realized how much easier most of the bosses were once I didn't bother locking on to them.

It was a wonderful day when I realized that most bosses can't track you as fast as you can sprint, so you can easily get around to their backside if you just drop your lockon and run around their fat asses. :allears:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I guess now that the final DLC has been out for a while the player base is tapering off? I've played through a game and a half after picking this up again and I haven't been invaded once :( I spent a lot of time with the Delicate String too. OK this one dark spirit invaded me in Belfry Luna but that doesn't really count. I'm not hellbanned, there's plenty of red and white signs all over the place. Were most of the invaders cheaters or something? I guess I could understand that given what a loving grind it is to get Cracked Reds in NG.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
In NG there aren't that many invasions, even while the game was newer.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

when the game was new i didn't get invaded once in NG and it only happened a couple times outside of community-designated PvP areas in NG+

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished the game twice during the release of the game and got invaded once on my way to Nashandra.

I'm running as a Bell Keeper and while i've yet to be invaded i've seen plenty of people getting chased by red phantoms when i'm called to defend the bells.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Couple hundred hours, dozens of characters, NG and +, been invaded maybe 6 times. That includes on the bridge.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardboard Box posted:

when the game was new i didn't get invaded once in NG and it only happened a couple times outside of community-designated PvP areas in NG+

Mans posted:

I finished the game twice during the release of the game and got invaded once on my way to Nashandra.

I'm running as a Bell Keeper and while i've yet to be invaded i've seen plenty of people getting chased by red phantoms when i'm called to defend the bells.

Flytrap posted:

Couple hundred hours, dozens of characters, NG and +, been invaded maybe 6 times. That includes on the bridge.

Did you guys have cheatengine installed / running / did you edit your items? That sounds a lot like soft banning.

You could also have slow internet, bad connections, in the wrong region, or ports could be blocked.

For people who get invaded regularly is it better to play on NG+ or NG if I want to see a bunch of the multiplayer stuff.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i summon for co-op and pvp all the time. invasions just aren't common for some people.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've only had a random invasion one time in the Iron Keep, and that was ages ago when way more people were playing. Think I've been invaded at most five times, not including covenant areas.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I've been invaded 4 times today, 2 at extremely bad times.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Did you guys have cheatengine installed / running / did you edit your items? That sounds a lot like soft banning.

You could also have slow internet, bad connections, in the wrong region, or ports could be blocked.

For people who get invaded regularly is it better to play on NG+ or NG if I want to see a bunch of the multiplayer stuff.

I summon and get summoned with no problem and wearing the Bell keepers ring would always give me fights.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Random invasions aren't all that uncommon for me. And obviously at Iron Keep I get invaded constantly. This week I loaded the wrong character and started getting invaded before I could quit back to the menu. :gonk: I was trying to remember what weapons I had for PVP on him, but the invader was hacking so it ultimately didn't matter.

Mans posted:

I summon and get summoned with no problem and wearing the Bell keepers ring would always give me fights.
Really? That place is a ghost town for me, even in the 1-2mil SM range where you'd think people would want chunks.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Watrick posted:

I've been invaded 4 times today, 2 at extremely bad times.

one of the times i was invaded was in the middle of the Duke's Dear Freja encounter in NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

No I summon/get summoned/Bell Keep plenty, it's just Dickwraiths' that are nonexistent.