Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

That's insane. It's actually down in paper under 9 bucks...

On MTGO Temple of Malady is literally the most expensive card in Standard. For reference, the closest I could find are Goblin Rabblemaster and Elspeth at ~19 tix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

On MTGO Temple of Malady is literally the most expensive card in Standard. For reference, the closest I could find are Goblin Rabblemaster and Elspeth at ~19 tix.

I guess it makes sense in that it's the most played card from a small, unpopular third set that no one has any interest in opening up any more packs from.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

Brimaz is also up there: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/index/THS_M15_KTK#online

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I really have no idea how the MTGO economy works, how can any of that be? Dark Confidant is <$20 on there?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really have no idea how the MTGO economy works, how can any of that be? Dark Confidant is <$20 on there?

Dark Confidant is only 18 tickets ($18 in cash, a ticket is one dollar). JTMS was 15 last I looked, etc.

But its not always that way - Liliana of the Veil is 65 tickets online and only like $55 in paper.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 15, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Brimaz is also a mythic that gets used in every format, so that's understandable.

Mtgo markets make no sense to me. Temple is 20 tix, meanwhile sword of F&I is like 8? Path to exile is still 5 tix somehow though? Griselbrand on paper can be had for $17, he's around 50 tix on modo though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Brimaz is also a mythic that gets used in every format, so that's understandable.

Mtgo markets make no sense to me. Temple is 20 tix, meanwhile sword of F&I is like 8? Path to exile is still 5 tix somehow though? Griselbrand on paper can be had for $17, he's around 50 tix on modo though.

Griselbrand is $50 on MTGO because MTGO players are far more likely to play formats where he is good because Underground Sea is $14 on MTGO vs. $350 in paper.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BizarroAzrael posted:

When most of the eternal meta is burn or burn+Delver, taking 8 from your own creature is pretty poor. Also Jund, the deck that is most likely to use him is unplayable online in legacy and pretty bad in modern. He was in the $30s before the whole UR thing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Digital reprints are the poo poo, son!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Temple of Malady: 20.76 Tix on MTGO.

Temple of Malady officially costs more than Dark Confidant.

Seriously? What.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Man I'm grumpy, yesterday I was 6-0 and 1 win from Top-8ing my second successive online PTQ and I lost the next two rounds in spectacular fashion, first to flood-then-screw g1 and g2, then the next set to simply getting my rear end kicked by a million tokens.

I know I should be happy with consistent results but I was SO loving CLOSE to lose like that and it's somehow worse knowing I didn't make a misplay or anything, I just lost because the cards fell the way they did. Ffffffffffffffffffffff I was so close this is like fighting games all over again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
MTGO prices are super weird just because of how certain staples were relatively over/under "printed" compared to paper. Like how there's been a ton of original duals opened on MTGO compared to in paper.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Are we still expecting cards to get the axe in February? It seemed pretty certain both Jeskai Ascendancy and Cruise were going down in Modern, but I'm following the format less and less these days due to U/R/x being god at everything (which is probably telling enough, I suppose).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really hope they try to solve the issue with Cruise, Dig and Acendency with unbannings and not with more bannings.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I really hope they try to solve the issue with Cruise, Dig and Acendency with unbannings and not with more bannings.

I don't know what you could unban to fix anything. If BBE gets unbanned (the most likely candidate to get an unbanning), does anything get fixed with U/R Delver?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know what you could unban to fix anything. If BBE gets unbanned (the most likely candidate to get an unbanning), does anything get fixed with U/R Delver?

No but Jitte and a stoneforge unban would.

E: Hell just a stoneforge unban would do good things

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

BBE and Deathrite would make other decks playable at least... Ancestral Visions too since it isn't as powerful as Cruise.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I dunno, what unbanning would do that? Really, Ascendancy just seems to do too much at once, which is the same problem as Jace and Jitte. Really it seems like a big own-goal in design, the interaction with mana-generating creatures in obvious even if the play with Retraction Helix/Springleaf Drum isn't so much. But it's buff your guys and sculpt your hand and untap them all too, it seems so unnecessary given it's already a new instance of Prowess on everyone.

Edit: We thing a Stoneforge unban is possible? I'd be quite willing to try her out, and was hoping to get one for the white commander deck anyway.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 15, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I dunno, what unbanning would do that? Really, Ascendancy just seems to do too much at once, which is the same problem as Jace and Jitte. Really it seems like a big own-goal in design, the interaction with mana-generating creatures in obvious even if the play with Retraction Helix/Springleaf Drum isn't so much. But it's buff your guys and sculpt your hand and untap them all too, it seems so unnecessary given it's already a new instance of Prowess on everyone.

Unban the dredge things.

Let dredge into modern. :getin:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unban the dredge things.

Won't that just do really scary things with the Delve cards?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Won't that just do really scary things with the Delve cards?

yes, exile your dredgers, narcomoebas, dread returns and graveyard targets to do ???

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Chill la Chill posted:

The people who like to travel to opens, PTQs, and other big events to try and make it big. Very results oriented, have a chip on their shoulder until they've proven themselves. Insufferable. Might stink due to "need to play test overriding rules of common decency." The gaming version of the trading card shark.

I dated a dude like this and started going to local small events and stuff at his urging while he was teaching me the game. That poo poo is miserable to play with as a new player who isn't totally comfortable with the rules yet because they try to slam you for every little thing and get really, really angry if they lose.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unban the dredge things.

:agreed:

Free dread return.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes of course. A grognard will be a grognard. Ari Lax seems like a douche. I know from my experience that Todd Anderson also fits the profile. Brad Nelson is alright but his story is more of a really sad one.

This does remind me: friends and I are gonna try to get a bunch of people together to take pics with us doing physical stuff with magic stuff involved. We're gonna call it #MuscleWizardry and it'll probably have stuff like flexing a bicep curl on one hand while holding a deck box with the other. Wearing a playmat on top of a lifting belt and doing squats. Using a playmat as a towel while running. Holding a couple cards with a pair of boxing gloves slung over the other shoulder. Stuff you'd expect to see as a gym ad. I hope this hasn't been done yet. :ohdear:

Get that image out there that we're not all insufferable basement autists. We're also gym rat autists.

Recreate the Kibler playmat but in a tanktop and gymshorts.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Unban Stoneforge Mystic, ban Batterskull. (I just got GW hatebears together and SFM colorswords would wreck everyone forever)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Unban Stoneforge Mystic, ban Batterskull. (I just got GW hatebears together and SFM colorswords would wreck everyone forever)

I'd be equally ok with this too, I just really, really want a format where the Swords are actually Good and Playable and Legacy isn't that anymore

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bringing back a broken deck to fight a couple of broken cards sounds really stupid to me.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Chamale posted:

Being the best player at an FNM is like being the best athlete on your beer league softball team. You're way better than most people who play the game for fun, but there's also a huge gap between you and the people who can play the game for a living.

Nobody can strictly play magic for a living, even the best of the best have at least a part time job to supplement. Looking at slinging magic cards as a prospect to make a living from is a wildly stupid idea even if you are insanely good. If youre gonna make a living through magic, it will be on the scg team where you will make a solid chunk of your cash through articles and sponsorship.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Isn't like "No JTMS, No Stoneforge, No Top" like the three pillars of modern?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Archenteron posted:

Recreate the Kibler playmat but in a tanktop and gymshorts.

Yeah probably. I'm tempted to see if we can get my well-hung friend to tower over one of us in a recreation of the stone forge mystic card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Bringing back a broken deck to fight a couple of broken cards sounds really stupid to me.

TheTofuShop posted:

Isn't like "No JTMS, No Stoneforge, No Top" like the three pillars of modern?

Modern's had broken cards it's whole lifetime so it's pretty arbitrary to say Stoneforge is too good when Tarmogoyf runs rampant and Lightning Bolt is a 4 of in over 30% of the decks in the format right now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Modern's had broken cards it's whole lifetime so it's pretty arbitrary to say Stoneforge is too good when Tarmogoyf runs rampant and Lightning Bolt is a 4 of in over 50% of the decks in the format right now.

Whilst this statement is basically true, it's also not a counterpoint.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lightning Bolt and Tarmogoyf are great, but they don't define what your deck will do in the same way that Stoneforge does, and they also don't warp future card development in the same way that SFM would. Maybe banning Batterskull would be enough to lock that deck out, but then you're limiting what equipments can appear in future just so this one stupid card can stay unbanned.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I Love You! posted:

Man I'm grumpy, yesterday I was 6-0 and 1 win from Top-8ing my second successive online PTQ and I lost the next two rounds in spectacular fashion, first to flood-then-screw g1 and g2, then the next set to simply getting my rear end kicked by a million tokens.

I know I should be happy with consistent results but I was SO loving CLOSE to lose like that and it's somehow worse knowing I didn't make a misplay or anything, I just lost because the cards fell the way they did. Ffffffffffffffffffffff I was so close this is like fighting games all over again.

Haven't you been reading the thread you're obvs just a tryhard grinder nerrrrrddd

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Banning Batterskull and unbanning Stoneforge would just make Stoneforge decks a Swordfest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Banning Batterskull and unbanning Stoneforge would just make Stoneforge decks a Swordfest.

At least then they'd be more than a fringe card in Modern and Legacy

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Lightning Bolt and Tarmogoyf are great, but they don't define what your deck will do in the same way that Stoneforge does, and they also don't warp future card development in the same way that SFM would. Maybe banning Batterskull would be enough to lock that deck out, but then you're limiting what equipments can appear in future just so this one stupid card can stay unbanned.

I would say Tarmogoyf does to a degree, or maybe it's more that it's made disproportionately good by the sort of environment modern is. In any case, the existence of cards that are practically mandatory for certain colours does seem like a problem to me, along with how jamming Goyf in existing non-green decks like Twin and even Affinity seems to make them better.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

GoutPatrol posted:

Haven't you been reading the thread you're obvs just a tryhard grinder nerrrrrddd

Yeah i bet he takes fnm too seriously and wins a lot, and therefore insufferable

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Batterskull does extremely good work in U Tron and I like my deck so I'd rather they didn't ban it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh my god are there people who seriously think Stoneforge Mystic is a good idea under any circumstances, how do I get as high as you are right now because daaaaaaaaaaamn.

Tonetta posted:

Yeah i bet he takes fnm too seriously and wins a lot, and therefore insufferable

I've never been to a FNM that would require leaving my filthy basement abode

• Locked thread