Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah there is no affliction healing associated with phoenix pyre.

Oh, too bad. :(

At least liches still can regrow their heads by dying, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Dying might give you even more afflictions though. Id only do it if he was feeble minded or something horrible like that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Diabl0658 posted:

Dying might give you even more afflictions though. Id only do it if he was feeble minded or something horrible like that.

Yeah if it's anything but a pathloss affliction don't bother.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah if it's anything but a pathloss affliction don't bother.

I've always wondered, are there rules about what creature can get which afflictions, or is it theoretically possible for a common human to get a headloss-affliction?

Edit:

I mean we deal with a game here in which old age gives you chestwounds, so we're clearly deep in bat country already.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Libluini posted:

I've always wondered, are there rules about what creature can get which afflictions, or is it theoretically possible for a common human to get a headloss-affliction?

Edit:

I mean we deal with a game here in which old age gives you chestwounds, so we're clearly deep in bat country already.

you get head loss from taking more than 5 or 6 damage to the head and then your head falls off and that kills anything that doesnt hae a replacement head or isnt undead i think

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

The people of Xibalba take offense at your words.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Libluini posted:

Eh, you don't see too many old codgers running marathons. It's pretty easy to imagine an old person succumbing to a chronic lung illness that while not life-threatening the way the disease affliction is, diminishes their ability to exert themselves. Similar to how "lost an eye" doesn't necessarily mean that their eye fell out, but could represent a cataract.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Eh, you don't see too many old codgers running marathons. It's pretty easy to imagine an old person succumbing to a chronic lung illness that while not life-threatening the way the disease affliction is, diminishes their ability to exert themselves. Similar to how "lost an eye" doesn't necessarily mean that their eye fell out, but could represent a cataract.

What about 'Lost an Arm'?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

fool_of_sound posted:

maybe the arm didnt actually fall off and they jsut had a stroke and lost use of it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

fool_of_sound posted:

Arthritis. They can't do daily tasks anymore because their joints hurt too much.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

jsoh posted:

maybe the arm didnt actually fall off and they jsut had a stroke and lost use of it.

This. Or arthritis that makes fighting with the arm infeasible. Alternately, general muscle weakness/slowing to the point where the arm is all but useless for actual fighting (more acutely than normal old age penalties).

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

jsoh posted:

you get head loss from taking more than 5 or 6 damage to the head and then your head falls off and that kills anything that doesnt hae a replacement head or isnt undead i think

a second form works for this and lost a head only kills things as it is applied, so you can have whole armies of headless shapeshifters

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:wtc:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

Edit:

Have you never heard about heart attack and strokes?

:P

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
bats.jpg

Is there nobody the flying rats can't kill?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

death2zotz nerf dose fuks

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Verification post for the brainwrinkle GGS!

Looking forward to having some fun in a newbie game sometime soon

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh please, if we re-interprete everything the game tells us, I can claim "headloss" just means you're losing your head. Just a bit of confusion, not actually your head falling off.

Also a heartattack is not a loving chestwound. Like a malfunctioning pump is not a burst pump.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Oh, too bad. :(

At least liches still can regrow their heads by dying, I guess.
Immortals heal afflictions in friendly dom.

Sending them to die just adds more.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Jester Mcgee posted:

I just finished watching what you have up of your Patala game, and I love these. I am new to the game, and watching you make sense of the game and talk your way through your thoughts is really helpful. So, thanks!
That's cool, I'm glad.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Finishing up my Ulm test game... you know, AI could be [a bit] better if didn't use so much gold on the castle upgrades (and instead use it in mages and troops). If you give them time, they build them all, most of the castles I capture have 4-6 upgrades, while most human players don't bother.
Also while Magma Eruption and Iron Blizzard are good damaging spells, their range 25 makes you put your mages in a somewhat risky position, most ranged spells are range 30-40.

Pair of misc questions

-Is there a the spell that curse every unit in the battlefield? (unsure if only enemies or 100%). In the previous battle I saw a weird purple-pink flash, it may be that spell.
-Is there a penalty when firing over the wall in a siege? Maybe only applied to attackers?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

-Is there a the spell that curse every unit in the battlefield? (unsure if only enemies or 100%). In the previous battle I saw a weird purple-pink flash, it may be that spell.

Doom; Astral 4; Alt 7

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Doom; Astral 4; Alt 7

I suppose it's a "numbers game" that even the AI can cast a good spell on you from time to time. It was a sizable army.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder how feasible it would be to set up a "fighting a room full of kindergardeners" style game would be. 2-3 seasoned Dominions players fight 4-7 complete noobs. How much can skill and experience overcome hordes of ineffectual slaps?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

I wonder how feasible it would be to set up a "fighting a room full of kindergardeners" style game would be. 2-3 seasoned Dominions players fight 4-7 complete noobs. How much can skill and experience overcome hordes of ineffectual slaps?
Completely plausible using the disciples system, or just FFA But With Rules, also probably boring for Team Ungarbage, since they're probably just going to be expanding mostly unchecked into 20ish provinces in the first year and will then roll over The New Firm with their economic advantage and scripting experience.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Well, we did have MA Ermor Neruz versus newbies (newbies won).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Donkringel posted:

The hard part I think it would be determining who is the veteran and who the noobs. Dominions players tend to underestimate themselves, regular players with a pair of years of experience call themselves noobs and veteran players call themselves just "regular players". I suppose it's because the game is so big and complex is hard to have a complete grasp of everything, which makes people think they aren't experts or good players, even if in truth the same happens to everyone.
I've seen some people say they were noobs because they only played two mp games (and several more AI games I suppose). While a true noobs are new players who don't use boosters, don't know communions, they expand without any kind of efficiency just throwing armies at random, etc.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There was a pros versus schmoes game before with TheDemon as Rleyh and Lili as Ermor as Team Bad. Team Good was more concerned with letting someone else kill the badguys so they would be in a stronger position to kill their former allies afterward. They lost unsurprisingly.

I think there was also someone who took a Dom4 imprisoned pretender. They were domkilled. Unsurprisingly.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Decrepus posted:

There was a pros versus schmoes game before with TheDemon as Rleyh and Lili as Ermor as Team Bad. Team Good was more concerned with letting someone else kill the badguys so they would be in a stronger position to kill their former allies afterward. They lost unsurprisingly.

I think there was also someone who took a Dom4 imprisoned pretender. They were domkilled. Unsurprisingly.

Wasn't me on R'lyeh, someone else. Flavahbeast I think?

But there have been newbie teams vs veteran teams in the past, back in Dom3. Especially in other communities. There were three such games in a series on Shrapnel Forums / Dom3mods. I think the first was 4v8, the second 5v10, and the third 6v12 if I recall correctly. I played in two, newbies won two out of three. It pretty much depended on map placement (very easy to gently caress an entire team in a team game) and on how veteran the newbie team actually was. The game we won, we coordinated perfectly while the newbies flailed around uselessly, and there was a very favorable map and ruleset for fast expansion. The game we lost, the newbies coordinated very well under the direction of their slightly more senior members, and the map position sandwiched each vet team member very quickly. That's not to say it wasn't contested, though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Thats a debug unit, it appears something has gone wrong and it has accidentally assigned a debug unit to your pd at a 20/1 ratio or something similar.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure they'll all instantly drown at the start of battle so

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

I have no idea, try and get a battle on that province to see what happens.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Drowning is something that happens outside of battle though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Obviously someone needs to buckle up and invade my forts then in momie.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I found something interesting. Nation tier list & mini summary by TeamLiquid's KissBlade
http://pastebin.com/MNrJ3ZQh

Also a comparison of paths in all the Nations
http://i.imgur.com/i3Ppmq5.png

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Turin Turambar posted:

I found something interesting. Nation tier list & mini summary by TeamLiquid's KissBlade
http://pastebin.com/MNrJ3ZQh

Also a comparison of paths in all the Nations
http://i.imgur.com/i3Ppmq5.png

I don't know how accurate these things are, because I am brand new, but this is exactly the type of thing I have been looking for. Staring at the list of nations, or at the create a pretender screen, with absolutely no clue of how to proceed has been a large portion of my Dominions 4 experience so far. Even the tiny push of "Hey stupid, get conjurations and have a dragon," is super helpful.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am certainly not a noob by any possible measure, but I don't feel like I'm any good. The only time I do well is from circumstance and luck with maps. I have no idea how to hell to even begin to estimate stuff like where to put my stupid fuckers in their formations or how much to commit to each battle or anything. I also routinely do stupid poo poo like script 30 lizard shamans poorly because I forgot MR was a thing that existed and they all die and RIP probably all my chances. Or maybe not. I honestly have no loving idea.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

I am certainly not a noob by any possible measure, but I don't feel like I'm any good. The only time I do well is from circumstance and luck with maps. I have no idea how to hell to even begin to estimate stuff like where to put my stupid fuckers in their formations or how much to commit to each battle or anything. I also routinely do stupid poo poo like script 30 lizard shamans poorly because I forgot MR was a thing that existed and they all die and RIP probably all my chances. Or maybe not. I honestly have no loving idea.

You won losergame though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I've hosed up multiple battles in a single drat game I'm in because my mages are sneaky and my main forces aren't, so I send in my main forces while my mages hide in the trees and watch them get slaughtered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Do you get them in land forts? Just imagine 2000 debug infantry kitfox!

• Locked thread