Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I'm having serious doubts about my ability as a photographer. I've been doing this for like 18 months and have taken maybe 10 photographs which I consider to be very good. Furthermore, I don't know how to improve. Can anybody relate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Beige posted:

I'm having serious doubts about my ability as a photographer. I've been doing this for like 18 months and have taken maybe 10 photographs which I consider to be very good. Furthermore, I don't know how to improve. Can anybody relate?

Well it's good that you aren't delusional. If you know that you suck then you're doing better than most other internet photographers. Just keep doing it and see where it takes you... just make sure you keep looking at photos and art and thinking about what you like about them to help you shape your own identity. FWIW I think some of your photos are fine.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Beige posted:

This is pretty standard for all of us. We all doubt what we make and go through periods where nothing inspires us to create more work. It doesn't even matter how long you've been doing it, either. You say that you've been doing this for 18 months (which is far too early to give up on it yet, btw) and you've only made 10 images that you consider very good. Well, a thirty-year veteran may say the exact same thing. You're always going to be your harshest critic so no matter how much you learn or how good your work gets, you are probably going to always feel that you can do better. And that's a (mostly) good thing. It's good in that it pushes you to improve and do better, but it's bad in that it can toss you into uninspired, doubting ruts like you're in now. The trick to weathering this stuff is to just keep going forward. Keep making photographs. As far as improving, look at the work you consider to be bad and really think about why you consider them to be so, then go out shooting. Or try a different genre and expand your horizons. If you like shooting landscapes but feel like you've hit a wall, try shooting portraits for a while. You may find you like that better, or you may find you miss shooting landscapes and then, if you go back to landscapes, it will be with new eyes and a new perspective.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Beige posted:

Is this some sort of studio or a kind of exotic prison?

Close, it's two different galleries.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I don't remember those levels from Portal.

I love the first one

Did you beat the final boss?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

That 70s Shirt posted:

You're always going to be your harshest critic

...and if you aren't, start.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been shooting for about the same amount of time. Six months in I really felt like I'd taken 4-5 good pictures. A year, same thing. Now, same thing. Going back through my flickr I can point to maybe a half dozen I would call actually good.

Plenty of well-exposed pictures. Plenty of interesting takes. Plenty of cute kids. But shots that, if I was pressed to pick out for actual critique, I would feel comfortable putting them up? Half dozen.

Are you not happy with the pictures you are taking? Or are you not taking pictures you want to take? Do you want to please yourself, get a lot of empty quotes on here, or stars on flickr? Shots you would like to print and hang in your home? Put together a gallery show? Make a coffee table book of your own work documenting your travels? Capture some technical ideal of the zone system?

"Good pictures" is a kind of non-commital goal.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 15, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Beige posted:

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." - Ansel Adams

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is it weird that the photos of mine that I really like and think are great (like four or five) receive a lukewarm reception, yet some of my shots that I think of as throwaway nothings seem to be really well liked?

Guess which category these ones are in!

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
First, let me say, what a wonderful set of responses.

Huxley posted:

Are you not happy with the pictures you are taking? Or are you not taking pictures you want to take? Do you want to please yourself, get a lot of empty quotes on here, or stars on flickr? Shots you would like to print and hang in your home? Put together a gallery show? Make a coffee table book of your own work documenting your travels? Capture some technical ideal of the zone system?

I feel I cannot express myself in my photographs because I can't begin to explain (even to myself) why I like some images and dislike others. I'm artistically unrefined, so to speak.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Slavvy posted:

Is it weird that the photos of mine that I really like and think are great (like four or five) receive a lukewarm reception, yet some of my shots that I think of as throwaway nothings seem to be really well liked?

Guess which category these ones are in!

A lot of Dorkroomers also have very particular tastes that are vastly different from your typical flickr/500px crowd. Whereas the community on those sites seem to value a very conventional "pretty" kind of aesthetic, and you could probably score like 100 favs off of a picture of a flower with some ~sweet bokeh~; here, interesting ideas for composition and not cranking vibrance to a million is more valuable. I'm oversimplifying, obviously, but when I first started I fell into the former camp, but as I spent more time here I see the value of the latter much more.

Just as an example, when I first started out, I thought this picture I took was the motherfucking bee's knees:

Five Fingers by Geektox, on Flickr

It checked all the boxes I had read about - nature, cranked vibrance, bokeh, rule of thirds, a totally artsy title, I even used a Leica for dat glow. But now I see how goddamn boring that picture is, If I was to take that picture today I would've had some very different ideas for the composition and I may not have even decided to take that photo at all.

Beige posted:

FWIW, I think your photos are very pretty, but maybe it could help you get out of your rut if you try something different from what you usually do. Switch up genres, use your phone instead of your DSLR, pick up a Olympus XA and shoot a roll of Portra, thinking with different constraints really helped me with burnout.

Beige posted:

I feel I cannot express myself in my photographs because I can't begin to explain (even to myself) why I like some images and dislike others. I'm artistically unrefined, so to speak.

Pick up a copy of The Nature of Photographs. I only started reading myself but it's a book discussing what makes pictures "good" and language to discuss those elements.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 15, 2014

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

A lot of Dorkroomers also have very particular tastes that are vastly different from your typical flickr/500px crowd. Whereas the community on those sites seem to value a very conventional "pretty" kind of aesthetic, and you could probably score like 100 favs off of a picture of a flower with some ~sweet bokeh~; here, interesting ideas for composition and not cranking vibrance to a million is more valuable. I'm oversimplifying, obviously, but when I first started I fell into the former camp, but as I spent more time here I see the value of the latter much more.

I've done kind of the same thing, in that I've come to appreciate that kind of photo while accepting it's not what I'm ever going to be into shooting. I get the pictures of concrete walls and pipes that are all textured and such, but I'm never going to take that picture.

On the other hand, if I could end up 10-15 years from now with a large coffee table book of full-page horizontal pictures split perfectly 50/50, I think I would be pleased artistically. Something about that just scratches my itches. But I know people around here don't care abut that, so I don't post them much.

Case in point, the signs are probably more interesting technically, but I like that boat. Sort of asks a question the photo doesn't answer, where the street signs are answering a question I'm not bothering to ask.

Beige posted:

I agree. Get ugly, and take some bad pictures. I don't see a ton of self-expression running through your flickr. It's beautiful stuff, but it has a stock-like distance to it. Figure out what you want to shoot and why, then worry about how you're going to shoot it. Chances are once you find it, you're going to be able to make it look exactly how you want, because you take a nice picture.

And out of fairness, here's something I took this week. It's not good, but I like it so whatever.

Saturn and Titan by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 15, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Beige posted:

I've read a lot of the goon recommended photography books and I still have a hard time trying to ~do art~ in the ways that the books suggest. I still primarily take photos because "hey that looks cool", and the result is a lot of duds. I rarely, if ever, think about expressing myself. In the past few years, I've found myself more attracted to geometry, reflections and interesting shadows more than anything else, which has helped me become a bit more choosy in what I photograph. To me, it's all about searching for things that catch your eye, and even a basic answer like "I really like the lines" is a perfectly valid explanation as to why you like a certain photo. Maybe that will change with 5 or 10 more years of experience, who knows.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

_DSC0008.jpg by ninetysevena, on Flickr

_DSC0011.jpg by ninetysevena, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Those colors. :drat:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Finally got a Flickr account. I'll slowly be going throug my hard drives and uploading stuff to it, in the mean time it's pretty barren.

IMG_8794
by kingdugga, on Flickr

IMG_8793 by kingdugga, on Flickr

IMG_8723 by kingdugga, on Flickr

These three are from the same trip, unfortunately all I had to take photos with was a Canon SX50, which does a fair job of being a portable telescope, but otherwise leaves a lot to be desired. Still, for being about a kilometer away, the cow turned out ok.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Foggy Yard by torgeaux, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Salton Sea by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

salton sea

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

These are both great, nice work.

Untitled by scottch, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Nice

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Buenos Aires
by Hernando Rosa, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Love the colours.

Shed by rstop bstop, on Flickr

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Linedance posted:

Finally got a Flickr account. I'll slowly be going throug my hard drives and uploading stuff to it, in the mean time it's pretty barren.

IMG_8794
by kingdugga, on Flickr

this is pretty cool but man there's some crazy artifacts in the corner, could probably do to lay off the jpeg compression or something.

e. could just be my screen and lack of coffee though, I dunno.

PC160180.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

PC160188.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to finish working on the photos I took last christmas before I leave for this christmas.
Exploring Waterton 8 by Execudork, on Flickr
Exploring Waterton 19 by Execudork, on Flickr
Snowshoeing 18 by Execudork, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jalan Kota I, Melaka, Malaysia by alkanphel, on Flickr

Jalan Kota II, Melaka, Malaysia by alkanphel, on Flickr

Jalan Kota III, Melaka, Malaysia by alkanphel, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

this is pretty cool but man there's some crazy artifacts in the corner, could probably do to lay off the jpeg compression or something.

e. could just be my screen and lack of coffee though, I dunno.

Top left corner? It was shot as a jpeg, but there was some vignetting / sky stuff going on up there that I cleared up in lightroom, but the artifacts might still be there. I'll have another look when I get home.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Year end retrospective thread made me reconsider this one that I hadn't really bothered with before

Main St. by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

MooseNoose
Aug 6, 2006
2-2112 by MooseNoose, on Flickr

2-2154 by MooseNoose, on Flickr

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
First time out with my nifty fifty. I chose not to go mental with the sautration this time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I come bearing gifts dicks.

Pillars in the Dollhouse by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Rönnåsstugan by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Noon... by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
2014-12-17 11.58.52 2 by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC01306.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So FACKIN JOLLY.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2014-802 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2014-803 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Beige posted:

First time out with my nifty fifty. I chose not to go mental with the sautration this time.

excellent choice! love that shot

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
rail by PC-P, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Very nice, I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005