Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
If I accidentally blew up my 999-coin donation machine like an idiot it's not actually going to relock my shop unlocks, is it? That would surely be too cruel even for this game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Glare Seethe posted:

If I accidentally blew up my 999-coin donation machine like an idiot it's not actually going to relock my shop unlocks, is it? That would surely be too cruel even for this game...

No, you just can't use it as an ATM for emergency cases until you store enough money again.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So when you click on Dark Bum in Platinumgod you still get this.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/dark-bum

But sometimes a red spider drops and this comes up.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/darkbum/not

:rip: Dark Bum

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

No, you just can't use it as an ATM for emergency cases until you store enough money again.

I can live with this. It kind of sucks seeing it back on 000, though, after all that work. Oh well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Did you know if you use Crack the Sky on a Horseman boss, you die instantly? :suicide: As if that item wasn't crappy enough.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Dr. Fetus posted:

Did you know if you use Crack the Sky on a Horseman boss, you die instantly? :suicide: As if that item wasn't crappy enough.

You must be the only person who ever used crack the sky on anything

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You must be the only person who ever used crack the sky on anything

I try to use it at least once every time I find it, thinking "maybe this is the one time it will really be useful." It never is.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That item would be much better if the light effect never stopped until you left the room. And less of a charge.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

IUG posted:

That item would be much better if the light effect never stopped until you left the room. And less of a charge.

Maybe if it had a candle-style charge.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Maybe if it had a candle-style charge.

Or a 6-room charge but it would blanket the entire screen much like Isaac's last form.

I guess that would make it slightly overpowered though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wugga posted:

Or a 6-room charge but it would blanket the entire screen much like Isaac's last form.

That's basically what Flush does, perfectly balanced.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Pro moves in gaming: starting as Eden with Ipecac, picking up Mom's Eye so I could hit myself with the shots every time I entered a new room, and then picking up Rubber Cement so that instead of exploding, the Mom's Eye backwards shot would rebound into the middle of the room and basically serve as an incredibly poor man's 20/20.

Then I beat Mega Satan with it

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So since I'm almost finished with my PC run, I thought I'd try to finish some challenges with my Vita. Decided to do the Purist.

First floor: Guppy's head in the cursed room
Second floor: Guppy and Guppy's hairball in Satan's room.

Yeah I pretty much dominated that challenge.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Crack the sky is literally worse than the poop. The poop can block an enemy's path, it can drop some money if you're lucky, you can use it to make a bridge across a pit and it has a 1 room recharge. Crack the sky does gently caress all. They should nerf Blue Baby by giving him crack the sky as his starting item instead of the poop.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Apparently this wasn't the case in the original game? Why the hell would they go and make it worse? What's even the logic for making it kill you vs. the horsemen? :psyduck:

Even if it killed the horsemen instantly it would still be a garbage item. There's literally no logic to its design.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Slime posted:

Crack the sky is literally worse than the poop. The poop can block an enemy's path, it can drop some money if you're lucky, you can use it to make a bridge across a pit and it has a 1 room recharge. Crack the sky does gently caress all. They should nerf Blue Baby by giving him crack the sky as his starting item instead of the poop.

Don't forget that it can permanently destroy red poop.

Crack the Sky won't kill you if you use it on Famine, but it's still a bad item. I don't even know why it got nerfed. It sucked in WOTL too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Migishu posted:

So since I'm almost finished with my PC run, I thought I'd try to finish some challenges with my Vita. Decided to do the Purist.

First floor: Guppy's head in the cursed room
Second floor: Guppy and Guppy's hairball in Satan's room.

Yeah I pretty much dominated that challenge.

Being last on the list and in big bold letters made me sure purist was going to be the hardest challenge but like, it isn't even anything. I assumed it was going to be "no upgrades ever", which seems a really hard but totally doable way to play the game.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Being last on the list and in big bold letters made me sure purist was going to be the hardest challenge but like, it isn't even anything. I assumed it was going to be "no upgrades ever", which seems a really hard but totally doable way to play the game.

Its easier than most every challenge that blindfolds you but harder than most every challenge where you start with goodies.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I remember one time someone posted about how the popped a hierophant card and it only gave them one soul heart,a dn it just happened to me. It's not a bog problem, luckily I wasn't relying on those tow soul hearts to get me through this run. I am curious as to why that happens though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wugga posted:

That'd still be a worse version of Flush or the Necronomicon though, those are instant and Isaac's light attack sweeps the screen and can miss anyway.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

It should just spawn ALL of the horsemen at once. No bonus loot.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Haha, Missing No. is an absolute riot. I thought Monstro's Lung + Death's Touch + max damage was crazy but then it gave me Anti-Gravity + Strange Attractor + Spoon Bender + Cricket's Body + Rubber Cement + max tears, which was legitimately insane. This was some of the best fun I've had playing this game. I wish I could've kept that combo for the rest of the run.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
These new patches suck. Now that there's no way to cheese the Lost runs I don't think I'm ever going to beat it. I managed to kill Isaac on hard mode and that alone took me like 10 hours. Have no idea how boss rush is even possible unless I luck into some insane combo of items, which I don't feel like restarting hundreds of times to get.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bug Bill Murray posted:

These new patches suck. Now that there's no way to cheese the Lost runs I don't think I'm ever going to beat it. I managed to kill Isaac on hard mode and that alone took me like 10 hours. Have no idea how boss rush is even possible unless I luck into some insane combo of items, which I don't feel like restarting hundreds of times to get.

If you are on PC you can always use cheatengine to give yourself items at the start or just straight up invincibility you don't want to bother with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Or just keep playing the game without the Lost's items live you've been doing up until now.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Or just keep playing the game without the Lost's items live you've been doing up until now.

Pretty much. Edmund is obviously salty about the quick unlocking and cheating to get around his lovely character's design anyway. gently caress it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I found that the best way to do the Lost boss rush is Gnawed Leaf and Daddy Longlegs, or any other companion that auto attacks, with BFFs. Then you just put the game down and wait.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I took the Cheat Engine route. I don't regret it.

It's also handy for playing around and creating absolutely insane item combos. Tammy+Brimstone is already great. Adding Mutant Spider, Spoon Bender and Tiny Planet lets you clear even 2x2 rooms in a single charge.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Andrast posted:

If you are on PC you can always use cheatengine to give yourself items at the start or just straight up invincibility you don't want to bother with it.

I suppose but i'd be cool if there was a medium between outright cheating and hours of waiting for the perfect items

Internet Kraken posted:

My OCD of not having 100 percented an isaac game will haunt me forever

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I used cheat engine in the original Isaac to make new challenges for myself, giving myself one or two items to start with and skipping all of the treasure rooms. I'l probably do the same with this game eventually, unless the first DLC adds a legit way to make your own challenges.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
200+ hours played and I never knew these things could spawn in the Basement.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ipecac + Lucky Rock + Magic Fingers + a whole bunch of damage ups is the most broken combo I've found so far. I cleared the entire Dark Room without getting hit simply by mashing the space bar.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bug Bill Murray posted:

If you don't get Brimstone by Caves 2, reset and try again. Take anything that would boost your chances at a Devil Room. I dunno if blowing up beggars still counts towards it, but do it anyway. I beat the boss rush with Brimstone and a Magician card. Park your rear end behind the right set of middle rocks and unload. Damage Ups obviously help speed things up. The only times you'll have to move are when Monstro 2/Gish show up and the Mask/Bloat round to keep from eating poo poo on the Bloat's side lasers.

I'm really glad I got The Lost completely done before the nerfs dropped. Hopefully the delay in console patches means I can do that before they hit on the PS4, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wugga posted:

200+ hours played and I never knew these things could spawn in the Basement.

That's like the only way they can that I've seen. I was surprised to see a miniboss in the Basement once, though it was just Blastocyst.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

If you don't get Brimstone by Caves 2, reset and try again. Take anything that would boost your chances at a Devil Room. I dunno if blowing up beggars still counts towards it, but do it anyway. I beat the boss rush with Brimstone and a Magician card. Park your rear end behind the right set of middle rocks and unload. Damage Ups obviously help speed things up. The only times you'll have to move are when Monstro 2/Gish show up and the Mask/Bloat round to keep from eating poo poo on the Bloat's side lasers.

I'm really glad I got The Lost completely done before the nerfs dropped. Hopefully the delay in console patches means I can do that before they hit on the PS4, too.

I think they mentioned that Sony's patch policy means that they can't ship out the next one until February, so you have until then.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Don't forget that it can permanently destroy red poop.

Crack the Sky won't kill you if you use it on Famine, but it's still a bad item. I don't even know why it got nerfed. It sucked in WOTL too.

what the gently caress, why is the poop so useful

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

If you have short range mega tears (forget the item), and lump of coal, the tiny tears at the end still do way more damage than the giant ones at the start. I guess the buff from Lump of coal is much stronger than the buff from short range mega.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hyphen-ated posted:

You can also try to get real mapping from a shop, but the pool of shop items is so big now that this is very inconsistent. Mapping is huge though so if you see a map or compass early, do whatever it takes to buy it, clearing the whole floor if necessary.

That's one thing I've noticed between watching WoTL and Rebirth racing. In WoTL it seemed like mapping was almost necessary to win. In many of the Rebirth races I've seen mapping seems to be much less important. Granted I haven't seen that many races, as you're one of the few still up during my time slot. And all the other big streamers are just doing deathless or breaking runs.

I will have to start going fast and seeing what I can do. It does seem like a lot of fun.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 16, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

LibbyM posted:

If you have short range mega tears (forget the item), and lump of coal, the tiny tears at the end still do way more damage than the giant ones at the start. I guess the buff from Lump of coal is much stronger than the buff from short range mega.

Proptosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ariong posted:

I remember one time someone posted about how the popped a hierophant card and it only gave them one soul heart,a dn it just happened to me. It's not a bog problem, luckily I wasn't relying on those tow soul hearts to get me through this run. I am curious as to why that happens though.

Did you have Daemon's Tail? It turns out that trinket does a ton of things that are not obvious. In particular,

All red/soul hearts are re-rolled into other consumables (POSSIBLY black hearts).
Mitre, Bible Tract, Mom's Pearl are useless.
Chad, Relic, Gimpy, Old Bandage, Blood Penny, Fortune Teller have greatly decreased heart drop rates
Lovers and Hierophant card will only drop 1 Red/Soul Heart instead of 2.
Rooms with hearts already on the ground will be changed into Black Hearts upon entrance
Hearts from killing champion enemies just disappear.

In short, if you're not the Lost, don't pick up the Daemon's Tail.