Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jackard posted:

I remembered that after my "zero foreshadowing" post but decided the giant mecha they built secretly in less than a month (?) was still stupid :colbert:
Humans in this world can bend metal. It probably took less than a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jackard posted:

I remembered that after my "zero foreshadowing" post but decided the giant mecha they built secretly in less than a month (?) was still stupid :colbert:

Why? It's no less stupid than the giant drill Azula pulled out of her rear end, and drove within 500 feet of Ba Sing Se's walls before anybody saw it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Also the amount of time it took to develop something from scratch around WW1 and WW2 in a military context was much faster than it is today for various reasons that it's not worth getting into in an Avatar thread. Not quite THAT crazy fast, obviously. But metalbenders.

I can't believe I'm defending the giant robot.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

That actually makes sense now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
IIRC there's also a number of scenes emphasizing Kuvira monopolizing mineral rights from provinces she's reintegrated into the Empire. So yeah, she's been building this for awhile.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Calling it now - not like anyone else hasn't already: the huge, lanky mech will be defeated by being toppled; perhaps not by a mere tripwire (com'on, everyone has seen Star Wars, they GOTTA have something to counter that), but by something suitably epic. You might say the mech will lose its...

...BALANCE

:haw:

god I'm gonna miss the stupid loving jokes

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFarotAqh9s&t=14s

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 15, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sydin posted:

Why? It's no less stupid than the giant drill Azula pulled out of her rear end, and drove within 500 feet of Ba Sing Se's walls before anybody saw it.

Oh come on, it's not like there was any need to keep a lookout for Fire Nation troops. It's not like there was a war on or anything.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Torquemadras posted:

Calling it now - not like anyone else hasn't already: the huge, lanky mech will be defeated by being toppled; perhaps not by a mere tripwire (com'on, everyone has seen Star Wars, they GOTTA have something to counter that), but by something suitably epic. You might say the mech will lose its...

...BALANCE

:haw:

god I'm gonna miss the stupid loving jokes

This is gonna be Pabu's time to shine.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I recall either Junior or Zhu Li pulling out a circuit board out of the spirit weapon so maybe this is Mako's time to shine and invent EMPbending

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

hiddenriverninja posted:

I recall either Junior or Zhu Li pulling out a circuit board out of the spirit weapon so maybe this is Mako's time to shine and invent EMPbending
Magnet-bending in general would actually be quite the counter to metalbending

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just realized

:aaaaa:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ufarn posted:

Just realized

:aaaaa:

Duh

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

JT Jag posted:

Magnet-bending in general would actually be quite the counter to metalbending

Well, They did have the magnet suit in season 3, so that might make a return as a giant Aang statue wearing a magnet suit.

I'm just making stuff up at the moment, but out of all these ideas in this thread, one might stick.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I know no one cares about these posts but I finally finished rewatching Avatar.

Strictly speaking you could probably skip of the third season without missing "plot" (it shows that the season was basically "make time pass" until the ending) but you'd be making a huge mistake. I think that the biggest reason people remember ATLA fondly is because of the amount of character growth and the third season is full of it.

The second season has the best individual episodes (Tales, Zuko Alone) but the third is the strongest as a whole. It takes everything from the past two seasons and makes it work for the ending, it gives us more reasons to care about the characters and the setting.

A lot of people dislike the Deus Ex Machina ending, with the rock hitting exactly the right spot in Aang's back but I think it fits. What I disliked when I watched it for the first time and this time I mostly skipped was the whole White Lotus order thing. Yeah, sure, all those old men knew each other and were actually in the same order. Suuuure. I feel it was a waste for the concept of the White Order, I expected more, especially after Sokka got a White Lotus piece from his master. Wasted idea.

I guess now I'm ready for Korra's finale and finally saying goodbye to this world, as I'm sadly convinced that it will be years before Nickelodeon takes a chance with the setting again.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Avatar in Space is the only logical follow-up.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Mike and Bryan also want to do other things than Avatar-verse stuff. I wouldn't mind Peanuts-meets-FLCL (as they mentioned on the Nerdist Writers' podcast).

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

ETB posted:

Hey, if Power Rangers and Saints Row can do it, why not?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Weakness discovered. As far as I remember, the domes aren't made of platinum, which means metalbenders can bend the gently caress out of that robot.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Why do goons always jump to episode count as if it were the sole determinant of quality or pacing? If a show is too bloated at 20 episodes or too brisk at 12, that isn't a problem with the episode count, but with the show's writing and plotting.

Yeah this is the big issue with Bryan and Mike, they're really not great at pacing. They complain that they didn't have enough time for the plot in 12 episodes with the first season. They were okay with 12 episodes because it let them tell a tight story with no filler and then they throw in pro bending crap and are somehow surprised when they come to the last five minutes of the season and they have hardly any time to wrap things up the way they want.

If an episode order gets cut (or, the budget gets cut as happened this season) it makes sense that there's some pacing issues caused by that and the show's creators can do what they can to patch it but it won't be as good as it would have otherwise. But Korra basically went:

Bryke: "Season 1 did not turn out super great because it was our first time making a shorter season. We really need a little bit more time, just another episode or two to give everything some more room to play out how we want with our vision for the show."

Nick: "Yeah whatever season 2 can be 14 episodes then."

Fans: "Thank you based Nick. Get hype."

Bryke: "Sweet perfect glorious artistic freedom makes everything so much easier. No excuses now. 14 episodes, no more, no less. Time for what kids want: a taut, morally ambiguous political fantasy thriller with a mega-evildark villain culminating in giant monsters fighting in a city. Wait, no--NEAR a city!" *makes worst season of the show*

Fans: "gently caress Nickelodeon."

And then season 3 was paced pretty well I thought. Third time's a charm.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

Why? It's no less stupid than the giant drill Azula pulled out of her rear end
I love getting to post this

Now that's foreshadowing!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, well, uh Avatar is now my favorite show. Ever.

That is my favorite type of foreshadowing, I love it when shows do that. :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

drat.

Okay, I legit never caught that. Well played, AtLA.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ETB posted:

Seems like I remember reading that early concepts of ATLA had Aang being asleep for a really long time and waking up to some kind of scifi universe.

Metropolis posted:

And then season 3 was paced pretty well I thought. Third time's a charm.
Water and the first half of Earth corresponds to Air and Spirits in being the first half of the series.

It's almost like the writers consistently don't find their stride till halfway through or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Sharmat posted:

Water and the first half of Earth corresponds to Air and Spirits in being the first half of the series.

It's almost like the writers consistently don't find their stride till halfway through or something.

I think with a slightly alternate ending people would remember Season 1 better, it's really not that bad.

Like, have Korra do something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lbxI9FRseI

and I think it would be thought of as better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Sharmat posted:

Seems like I remember reading that early concepts of ATLA had Aang being asleep for a really long time and waking up to some kind of scifi universe.

They did that show already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51hgWIsY4M

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
A lot of things in the Avatar franchise have been done already.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't know, this is the first time I've seen people piloting giant robots before. That's a new one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Nick's twitter saying the finale will almost definitely be uploaded at midnight on Friday.

Just over 36 hours to go.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I can't wait for the Avatar franchise to be over with forever.

Well, for five or ten years anyway, before they do the horrible focus-grouped reboot.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah I can't wait for the Avatar franchise to be over with forever.

Well, for five or ten years anyway, before they do the horrible focus-grouped reboot.

So... an animated version of the movie?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I'd just like to point out I told all of you the plot of the whole season before it even happened

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jimbot posted:

So... an animated version of the movie?

I think what was suggested before would be pretty accurate. An Avatar version of Teen Titans: Go!

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
So like the chibi shorts only not funny or witty or good in any way.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Exactly.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Chakram posted:

So like the chibi shorts

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Less than 24 hours till the finale. Crazy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You think there will be a Deus ex Machina in the finale?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

You think there will be a Deus ex Machina in the finale?

Considering that the only Avatar finales not to involve a Deus Ex Machina involved the Avatar being temporarily killed? Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I think the good guys are going to win

• Locked thread