Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAA!

Max, you bastard! I need to study, dammit!

(I love you.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

6pm here and I'm on vacation for the next three weeks. :jeb:

Pity it'll take that long for all my mods to update. Hopefully v90 is API compatible.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Maxmaps posted:

I have a schedule to deliver on. :colbert:

.27 when?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

revdrkevind posted:

Been done before but counterpoints in my opinion:

The majority of people arguing for delta-vee and such are advanced players. Which is fine. But these people often fail to understand what the game looks like to us poor peasants. Kerbal is a game I can readily hand to a small child, and we can have fun putting green men on the Mun and blowing stuff up and learning what "orbit" means. A bunch of extra numbers are potentially a turn-off, when the base game works without them.

To reiterate: I think for the vast majority of people, Kerbal Space Program really is drat near feature-complete. It's totally worth a purchase as-is, and with only the announced features of Beta Than Ever, I'm like 98.9% satisfied with this game as a complete product.

If Squad had unlimited manpower and time, sure it would be nice to have Alarm Clock and Engineer and whatever else added. But it's taken them years to get here, the things they have all make sense and work well, and interplanetary tools would make a really great idea for add-on expansion after release, like the ARM pack. But for now, I have no complaints about the bits Squad are working on, and mods are available if you want to go beyond the base game. It's a non-issue.

Things I think stock KSP needs to be complete:
-An "ending" to the campaign, like you get a little movie when you beat the Krussians, or whatever.

Things I'd like to see made stock in KSP that I think would perfectly suit stock play:
-Ferram
-Interplanetary navigation aids (Engineer, Alarm Clock...)
-Karbonite
-Station building (Just more excuses to build stations. Maybe have unique modules pop up, orbiting them gives you a big bonus? )
-Base building (What's the one that lets you build launch pads in space? That one.)

And to me, that's the only reason I'd advocate against delta-vee and related bits. Are they nice? Sure, but so is Karbonite. And Ferram. And Station Science. And Interplanetary. And...

I really don't see how you can argue that the game needs to remain easy for new players, then unironically suggest implementing FAR.

Honestly though, a delta-v display is such a pathetically obvious addition, one that has been requested at least since I started playing in .16, that I can't help but imagine there is some guy at CCP who actively hates the idea for ~reasons~ and shouts it down every time it gets brought up. There is no excuse for it not being present at this point other than sheer stupidity.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
104,000 to upgrade the launch pad in hard mode!

Looks like I have some contracts to do.

e: implementing TWR and dV displays in-game, in a meaningful way, without just covering the screen with a spreadsheet, making the new player feel like they are walking into this may not be as trivial as some of you think. But I am not a game designer.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 16, 2014

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I tried the update without knowing about the new game mechanics and made this :haw: move:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, I need to be up tomorow morning for work, so I'm choosing to interpret this as a guarantee that I will be awake at 7.30.

That I may not have been to sleep in the intervening hours is of minimal importance.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
You can choose to load VAB ships in the SPH now and vice-versa! :eyepop:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

OwlFancier posted:

Well, I need to be up tomorow morning for work, so I'm choosing to interpret this as a guarantee that I will be awake at 7.30.

That I may not have been to sleep in the intervening hours is of minimal importance.

You will find yourself thinking about orbital mechanics for the entirety of your workday.

I hope you are ok with that :confuoot:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Have the contracts been re-balanced in this release? I really liked the direction the career mode was going in the previous patch but the stupidly narrow windows for altitude and velocity made almost all of the parts testing contracts incredibly frustrating.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You can choose to load VAB ships in the SPH now and vice-versa! :eyepop:

Hell yeah that is AWESOME! :dance:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jamsque posted:

Have the contracts been re-balanced in this release? I really liked the direction the career mode was going in the previous patch but the stupidly narrow windows for altitude and velocity made almost all of the parts testing contracts incredibly frustrating.

Did you know: you don't have to accept those contracts.

e: Maybe those contract's windows could scale with a difficulty slider? (which they may now; anyone tested?)

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 16, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GodDAMN the cost to upgrade buildings on hard :jebstare:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Cubey posted:

GodDAMN the cost to upgrade buildings on hard :jebstare:

We think Hard is NES Hard, not Wii Hard. :colbert:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Jamsque posted:

Windows for surveys were removed. Now there is a threshold altitude, and I just ask you to be above or below it (or on the ground). It's still technically a window, but it's a really big one. The high altitude ones can even be done in orbit, if you pass over the waypoint.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Which parts of Fine Print were integrated into stock? Is FinePrint being discontinued as a separate thing? I rather like the ISRU contracts and I can't imagine those have been integrated into the stock game.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Ruzihm posted:

You will find yourself thinking about orbital mechanics for the entirety of your workday.

I hope you are ok with that :confuoot:

For me, this is every day.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Arsonide posted:

Windows for surveys were removed. Now there is a threshold altitude, and I just ask you to be above or below it (or on the ground). It's still technically a window, but it's a really big one. The high altitude ones can even be done in orbit, if you pass over the waypoint.

Surveys are a new thing from this Fine Print mod, right? I've never played with that before. I was referring to the 'Text part x in flight over Kerbin" type, which made up the majority of the contracts in the previous patch version. And yes I am aware that none of the contracts are mandatory, but in the career mode they are the main avenue for generating income so when a large chunk of them are frustrating and don't encourage you along an interesting progression in rocket design I think it's an issue.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Mister Bates posted:

Which parts of Fine Print were integrated into stock? Is FinePrint being discontinued as a separate thing? I rather like the ISRU contracts and I can't imagine those have been integrated into the stock game.

All of the parts...and more. ISRU contracts are still there, I thought removing them would be redundant, but as usual, they are disabled by default. You just have to crack open your configuration file to enable them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Okay, what the hell am I doing wrong. Trying to launch a plane! Except every one I make immediately noses up hard once it's off the pad winds up completely uncontrollable. Everything's symmetrical, plenty of lift and control surfaces and all that, weight and thrust and lift all lined up... but it doesn't matter if the center of lift is ahead of the CoM, vice versa, big planes, small planes, whatever. And it's not a control calibration thing, I don't have (or have ever had) joysticks or anything like that hooked up and the flaps remain neutral unless I'm hitting something. I'm pretty sure it's not a new patch thing since I remember having this issue last patch too, but I recall craft like the ones I'm making working fine a while back... there's obviously something basic I'm missing. :psyduck:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This is much, much harder & I am actually working to get out of the lower tech tiers.

I like it, fantastic work on the devs' behalf.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

No matter what I do I cannot get steam to download the update. Tried verifying the game cache, removing and reinstalling the game, restarting steam, and a few other things and each time it just downloads a zero-byte "update" but still launches .25.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Huh, this release is especially slow and a little buggy for me. :(

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

Asimo posted:

Okay, what the hell am I doing wrong. Trying to launch a plane! Except every one I make immediately noses up hard once it's off the pad winds up completely uncontrollable. Everything's symmetrical, plenty of lift and control surfaces and all that, weight and thrust and lift all lined up... but it doesn't matter if the center of lift is ahead of the CoM, vice versa, big planes, small planes, whatever. And it's not a control calibration thing, I don't have (or have ever had) joysticks or anything like that hooked up and the flaps remain neutral unless I'm hitting something. I'm pretty sure it's not a new patch thing since I remember having this issue last patch too, but I recall craft like the ones I'm making working fine a while back... there's obviously something basic I'm missing. :psyduck:

Your CoL should be behind the CoM, not in front of it. But not too far behind it, if that makes any sense.

edit: I made this SSTO earlier today, and while I'm not that great at planes it works pretty well. You'll note that the CoM is only slightly ahead of the CoL - it's actually not an ideal placement, since as the plane burns fuel the CoM moves further back, which can throw the balance completely out of whack. But it does work - the canards tend to help a lot.

Kinger fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 16, 2014

Dekko
May 23, 2007
A million bucks to upgrade the Science building!!

Looks like my days of spunking all my money on elaborate space stations that I don't really need is over.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

And think, just yesterday I was assembling huge orbital stations, now I'm picking up scraps and trying to make a buck on the the side :cryingjeb:

Seems like a great job so far from the Squad guys, this is legitimately difficult. Poor Jeb already bit the dust in a noble effort to preserve parts.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kinger posted:

Your CoL should be behind the CoM, not in front of it. But not too far behind it, if that makes any sense.
That's what I mean though, it doesn't matter. Close behind, far behind, on top of, in front of, the planes invariably noses up.

Unless I slap a shitload of reaction wheels on it anyway.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Does reputation do anything yet?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Asimo, some screenshots may help to diagnose the problem.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TheKnife posted:

Does reputation do anything yet?

I thought it got you better contracts.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
And now the long wait between game launch and mod updates so I can start a new career.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't suppose 0.90 includes a 64-bit Mac build?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Maxmaps posted:

We think Hard is NES Hard, not Wii Hard. :colbert:

Oh it's awesome, I just wasn't expecting it is all. More difficulty is sure as hell not something I'ma complain about though.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I must be missing something because when I start a new game all the buildings are already fully upgraded. What am I doing wrong?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Are you sure you're not in sandbox mode?

Career is what you need.

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
Oh, baby. :love:

Squad really did good with those new Mk 3 space plane pieces, although it does show how laughably tiny those old landing gears are in comparison.

Wooten posted:

I must be missing something because when I start a new game all the buildings are already fully upgraded. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you're starting in Sandbox mode, possibly?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

No, its happening in career mode. It might be a bug with the 64 bit version.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My winglets aren't rotating like they should. Is this some sort of new skill I need to have, to have adjustable aerodynamic surfaces/flaps?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
So wait, when a probe contract requires power, does that mean it needs a solar panel? 'Cause I don't have those unlocked. The requirements for "polar orbit within reasonable deviation" and "stable for 10 secs" are both checked off, but the contract won't complete.

e: and yes, it does have power in the batteries, on the order of ~10 units. If that's the problem (not *enough* power), I'm hosed. I don't have the cash to upgrade the VAB, and the launch rocket is already 30 parts.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Not to distract from release chat too much, but end-game transfer window display should just copy mechjeb's porkchop mechanism, click to create manuever node.

• Locked thread