Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

I hope one day someone will make an abridged version of GT, because the actual show is unwatchable.

The only thing I remember about GT really from the few episodes I saw is that the tone just felt weird. It wasn't just that it was odd to have a sequel to DBZ, but it felt like a sequel to DBZ from some other universe where everything is dark and bleak for no reason.

Maybe it was the lack of Toriyama, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Raxivace posted:

The only thing I remember about GT really from the few episodes I saw is that the tone just felt weird. It wasn't just that it was odd to have a sequel to DBZ, but it felt like a sequel to DBZ from some other universe where everything is dark and bleak for no reason.

Maybe it was the lack of Toriyama, I don't know.

From what I remember they tried super hard to start with the tone of the original Dragon Ball but that tanked hard in the ratings, forcing a retool into a more DBZ direction that ended in the lovely mess that is GT. The lack of Toriyama certainly didn't help their chances.

It's especially telling that where Dragon Ball had 153 episodes and Dragon Ball Z had 291, Dragon Ball GT only had 64.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 15, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

All you have to know about GT is that if the characters not named Goku, then that character is basically useless.

I was bored and watching some clips of it regularly. SS4 goku gets his poo poo wrecked by omega Shenron and he goes back to normal goku. Goku then makes a spirit bomb and just tanks shots (while in a weaker form no less) from the guy who moments ago, just bodied him.

Gotta love how they copied the ending of Buu, without any of the stuff that made the ending to Buu fun.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Monaghan posted:

Gotta love how they copied the ending of Buu, without any of the stuff that made the ending to Buu fun.
It also has him fuse with Vegeta, but that isn't the ending? So exactly like the end to Buu, I guess?

I've never watched it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

It also has him fuse with Vegeta, but that isn't the ending? So exactly like the end to Buu, I guess?

I've never watched it.

I could've sworn SS4 Gogeta wrecked his poo poo, but that might be me misremembering what I did in Budokai 3 over what actually happens because 100x Big Bang Kamehameha is a cool way to kill things :colbert:.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Xad posted:

I could've sworn SS4 Gogeta wrecked his poo poo, but that might be me misremembering what I did in Budokai 3 over what actually happens because 100x Big Bang Kamehameha is a cool way to kill things :colbert:.

It was the same as Buu. SS4 Gogeta was too cocky for his own good and ended up loving around the entire time, used up all his time and unfused right before he was gonna obliterate Omega Shenron. Stuff happend after that yadda yadda. Then Spirit Bomb, the end.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
GT is odd, because if you would only describe the premise of the first arc to a Dragonball fan who has never seen it, it sounds awesome. That the Dragonballs are scattered around the Galaxy is an awesome call back to the original arc, while still keeping the larger scope of Z. And it actually makes the characters proactive again, which they haven't been since Namek, which is great way to create a bigger universe. Having your heroes travel around makes it easy to introduce all kinds of enemies, without having to establish connection first. It opens up all kinds of possibilities. And by setting it a few years later, they actually have a chance to introduce a couple of new characters, like Pan or Teenage Gotens and Trunks. Or Hell, even Maron or Bra. Having them travel through space while their parents ares tuck on earth for some reason would have been hilarious.

And then you actually watch the series and it is just a loving mess.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I forget, did they give a reason why, in situations like that, Goku and Vegeta couldn't just do the dance again?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I forget, did they give a reason why, in situations like that, Goku and Vegeta couldn't just do the dance again?

In Gt? I think they tried but they didn't have enough energy to do it again or something.

Also it is not like Buu, Vegetto played around for a specific purpose, to bait Buu into absorbing him.

Though I think Gogeta did too, something about negative energy or something, I don't really get it or care.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

CharlestheHammer posted:

In Gt? I think they tried but they didn't have enough energy to do it again or something.

Also it is not like Buu, Vegetto played around for a specific purpose, to bait Buu into absorbing him.

Though I think Gogeta did too, something about negative energy or something, I don't really get it or care.

Gogeta did it to get Omega Shenron to use his 'Negative Energy Power Ball', which was gotten by using the negativity in the Dragonballs. He then purified it by kicking it like a giant soccer ball. The reason for that apparently was because if he didn't do that then the Dragonballs would just stay corrupted. He immediately decided after that it was time to end it and prepared to explode Shenron, but the Fusion only lasted half as long as usual because they were so strong (15 instead of 30 minutes), and they broke apart. So it wasn't even Gogeta screwing around, he was just how long his fusion would last off of wrong information.

The reason they couldn't refuse afterwards was both running out of power and Omega Shenron not being braindead. He let them fuse in the first place because he was boastful, but after getting trashed he refused to let them do it again, it took everyone else to hold him off long enough for them to try again, and when they did Goku reverted to Kid Mode because he had no energy left.

According to the Dub, anyway.

It honestly made some kind of sense, all things considered. Goku had been constantly fighting the 'Evil Dragons' at this point and had just finished fishing three individual dragons at once; Nova Shenron, Ice Shenron, and Syn Shenron (Omega before he transformed), one after the other, so him being completely exhausted and unable to fuse again at that point makes some sense.

I don't know why I remember it that clearly.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

e X posted:

GT is odd, because if you would only describe the premise of the first arc to a Dragonball fan who has never seen it, it sounds awesome. That the Dragonballs are scattered around the Galaxy is an awesome call back to the original arc, while still keeping the larger scope of Z. And it actually makes the characters proactive again, which they haven't been since Namek, which is great way to create a bigger universe. Having your heroes travel around makes it easy to introduce all kinds of enemies, without having to establish connection first. It opens up all kinds of possibilities. And by setting it a few years later, they actually have a chance to introduce a couple of new characters, like Pan or Teenage Gotens and Trunks. Or Hell, even Maron or Bra. Having them travel through space while their parents ares tuck on earth for some reason would have been hilarious.

It also would have been hilarious and completely fitting to have Pilaf and friends chase them through space on a ship of their own, occasionally interfering with stuff and trying to steal the Dragonballs like an even more ineffectual Team Rocket. I mean if they are going to bring them back at the beginning of GT then they may as well make more appearances if we're trying to make this feel like Dragon Ball.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Doesn't the dance have a required downtime/cooldown as well? I remember this coming up for Gotenks in DBZ.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zedd posted:

Doesn't the dance have a required downtime/cooldown as well? I remember this coming up for Gotenks in DBZ.

Yeah, it does. It takes like an hour or so before you can fuse again. It's why Gohan had to save Goten and Trunks from Super Buu.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Covok posted:

Yeah, it does. It takes like an hour or so before you can fuse again. It's why Gohan had to save Goten and Trunks from Super Buu.

Although this wasn't the case in the fusion reborn movie, but then non-canon etc.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Bushmaori posted:

Although this wasn't the case in the fusion reborn movie, but then non-canon etc.

Is that where they gently caress it up the first time? I think that negates the cooldown since messing up the fusion probably doesn't use up nearly as much energy or something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xad posted:

Is that where they gently caress it up the first time? I think that negates the cooldown since messing up the fusion probably doesn't use up nearly as much energy or something.

Goten and Trunks messed up twice and they had to go through the cooldown. Goku and Vegeta aren't exempt because just because it's a movie. :colbert:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Some Numbers posted:

Goten and Trunks messed up twice and they had to go through the cooldown. Goku and Vegeta aren't exempt because just because it's a movie. :colbert:

I think the evidence, as in what happened in the movie, points to a different answer. The 180 degree answer. Mirror image. Opposite. :colbert:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The real thing to keep in mind about GT is that it had actual good ideas, just extremely terrible execution.

SSJ4 Goku has some of the best lines though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
get hype for playable gil in Xenoverse

no seriously he was datamined, it's actually in it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

get hype for playable gil in Xenoverse

no seriously he was datamined, it's actually in it

The...lovely R2D2 bot from GT?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bingo

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You call him that but he was actually more like JarJar.
I think Pan uses him to fire missiles in games.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

HGH posted:

I remember that she uses him in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HGH posted:

Unlike Jarjar, Gil does actually do things, including saving both Pan and Goku from dying. Somehow.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JarJar becomes a Senator

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

JarJar becomes a Senator

And he vetoes the emperor into power, essentially killing all the Jedis. His path is a really dark one.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man, dragonball has been the king of aborting character arcs and invalidating character development. Let's go through a whole big unlocked potential arc with Gohan and have him show up to trash Buu like a big he- haha jk Goku needs to save the day again. Or like, 2/3s of the GT cast. Uub fuses with Buu and proceeds to do nothing relevant!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glagha posted:

Man, dragonball has been the king of aborting character arcs and invalidating character development. Let's go through a whole big unlocked potential arc with Gohan and have him show up to trash Buu like a big he- haha jk Goku needs to save the day again. Or like, 2/3s of the GT cast. Uub fuses with Buu and proceeds to do nothing relevant!

Goku rules

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Actually, Goku drools...because he's just so hungry all the time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

Uub fuses with Buu and proceeds to do nothing relevant!

That sure wasn't confusing as all hell, when you saw GT before Z.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I actually watched GT all the way through thanks to Nicktoons reruns, and overall I found it fairly acceptable. The biggest thing to me was that the nickname "Goku Time" is extremely accurate, which ties into all the missing potential aka non-Goku people are pretty much useless. Overall though, I'm easily entertained, and GT kept me entertained; it's still Dragonball, which makes it watchable by default. (No, DBE is not Dragonball.)

One change I would have liked would be to have SSJ4 Vegeta show up sometime during the Super 17 fight. It makes sense (Vegeta would have Bulma working 24/7 on how to help him achieve SSJ4), it would give a non-Goku person some fighting time, and it would make it the fusion less of an rear end pull.

Stallion Cabana posted:

It honestly made some kind of sense, all things considered. Goku had been constantly fighting the 'Evil Dragons' at this point and had just finished fishing three individual dragons at once; Nova Shenron, Ice Shenron, and Syn Shenron (Omega before he transformed), one after the other, so him being completely exhausted and unable to fuse again at that point makes some sense.
It definitely makes sense, but even so I honestly would have preferred Goku and Vegeta re-fusing and just blasting Omega Shenron out of existence in one hit.:black101: But, that's GT in a nutshell, lots of wasted potential.

On a side note, changing the names of the Shadow Dragons was one of the dub changes I really liked. In Japanese they're literally just "One-Star Dragon, Two-Star Dragon, etc", but the dub gives them pun-based names related to their powers: Nuova controls fire, Ice Eis controls ice, Haze controls pollution, etc. The best part of this is when you line them up in order of the number of Dragonball stars:

Syn Shenron
Haze Shenron
Eis Shenron
Nuova Shenron
Rage Shenron
Oceanus Shenron
Naturon Shenron

In almost any other dub I'd groan at changing names to add puns like that, but it's Dragonball, and Toryama loving loves his naming puns (Vegetable Saiyans, Freeza's cold clan, Bulma's family of undergarments, etc) so instead it feels rather appropriate.:v:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I watched GT a few years ago before Battle of Gods came out and thought it sucked, I wouldn't have made it through if I wasn't watching it on background while doing other things. The only part of it I thought was good was the Baby Saga, mostly because it was closest to Z in its story arc and tone. Things actually happened in that fight even if it still couldn't match the very worst of Z. But I almost stopped watching when somewhere in the early episodes Goku and crew are on a random planet and run into some guy who is "stronger than Majin Buu!!!" who gets chumped in an episode or two. And the ending is some of the laziest animating I've ever seen; I still have a vivid memory of the Shenron flying closer sequence because they used the same clip four times for it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So Team Four Star keeps talking about an anime some of them had some work in, and it just came out today. "The Ambition of Oda Nobuna"? Does anybody know if it's actually any good?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So Team Four Star keeps talking about an anime some of them had some work in, and it just came out today. "The Ambition of Oda Nobuna"? Does anybody know if it's actually any good?

It's about this dude that gets transported to Feudal Japan where Oda Nobunaga and his generals are all cute girls.

so no

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So my first and only real exposure to GT was catching an episode where Goku was being forced to dance to death by some song or some crapand the narrator or someone mentioned that is was the most danger they had ever been in. I cut my losses there and have decided that all 60+ episodes of GT are just Goku dancing endlessly.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Did anyone ever explain why SSJ4 isn't yellow/golden? You have to become a giant golden ape first to turn into it, it's another level of something that is consistently yellow in aura and hair, and it would honestly look a ton better in yellow. Seriously, SSJ3 was already moving towards ape-like/caveman-like with the massive forehead and poo poo, why not just have SSJ4 be taking it the full way?

Also, I think DBGT could have been a lot more fun if, instead of Kid Goku, we got end of DB/start of DBZ age Goku. Depower him to that level, make him the weakest one, and then show him as still the best just because he's that good.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never seen DBGT but from the sound of it, I like some of the ideas that it introduced. I like the idea of a Golden Ozaru and an evil Shenron created by bad karma. I like Pilaf making an appearance again. He and his gang just sort of disappeared after the King Piccolo Arc. I'm surprised Toei never gave them cameos in one or two filler episodes of DBZ. They bothered to bring back Mercenary Tao for two episodes in the Cell Arc, after all.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's about this dude that gets transported to Feudal Japan where Oda Nobunaga and his generals are all cute girls.

so no

This is basically what I expected reading it, but sometimes what sounds terrible on paper works in execution.

It's basically the opposite of what I think we can all agree on with DBGT, which sounded pretty great on paper but was terrible in execution.

Covok
May 27, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This is basically what I expected reading it, but sometimes what sounds terrible on paper works in execution.

It's basically the opposite of what I think we can all agree on with DBGT, which sounded pretty great on paper but was terrible in execution.

I don't know about that last statement: this sounds bad in concept and execution. Then again, I have a deadly allergic reaction to moe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Covok posted:

I don't know about that last statement: this sounds bad in concept and execution. Then again, I have a deadly allergic reaction to moe.

Sorry, to clarify I was asking because sometimes things sound bad in concept but work in execution. This doesn't seem to be one of those things.

I should have known when Wikipedia described girl-Nobunaga as tsundere.

• Locked thread