Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Sharmat posted:

I'd love to see A Very Hydra Christmas where Whitehall dresses up as Santa.

Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas! What's your name little boy?
Hydra Bob!
And what do you want for Christmas?
A new rapid fire plasma cannon!

Or the Asgard Christmas Special were we find out that Odin was Santa all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Because any Actor is going to say "No I don't want to appear in this show that is associated with the films I'm currently being paid a lot of money to star in."

Not saying he will never appear in the show, him saying he'd like to do it is about as strong an indicator of it happening as if he'd just kept silent.

He actually brought up AoS and his desire to be on it without prompting.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Slashrat posted:

Because any Actor is going to say "No I don't want to appear in this show that is associated with the films I'm currently being paid a lot of money to star in."

Not saying he will never appear in the show, him saying he'd like to do it is about as strong an indicator of it happening as if he'd just kept silent.

He wasn't asked "would you like to be on SHIELD?" He was asked "what TV show would you like to guest star on?" Is it somewhat leading, in context? Probably, but he volunteered SHIELD.

E:F,b

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Or the Asgard Christmas Special were we find out that Odin was Santa all along.

Well...its true

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Riven posted:

He wasn't asked "would you like to be on SHIELD?" He was asked "what TV show would you like to guest star on?" Is it somewhat leading, in context? Probably, but he volunteered SHIELD.

E:F,b

He actually said he wanted to be on it as an addendum to another unrelated question, before he answered that question. It definitely came off sincere.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

twistedmentat posted:

Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas! What's your name little boy?
Hydra Bob!
And what do you want for Christmas?
A new rapid fire plasma cannon!

You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Fred is on posted:

I'm hoping Whitehall comes back to life in a second, more powerful form, like a good final boss.

That didn't work out for Garrett :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Metropolis posted:

Re: Tripp's death, dramatically speaking, I don't think it was really a "this is a major plot event and so we want a semi-major character to die to make it dramatic and shocking" thing. I think they had Tripp die so Skye getting her powers wasn't just all upside for her, it was a trade-off, and she's not going to feel thankful toward Raina, Cal, and Ward for getting her to the city. So it will leave her feeling conflicted in the future instead of just being like, man, why did I argue against this anyway.

This is pretty much exactly what Jed and Maurissa have said in their interviews.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kheldarn posted:

This is pretty much exactly what Jed and Maurissa have said in their interviews.

I agree. I think what is confusing people is some of the language being used to describe his death. Describing him as a person who is very close to her kind of shifts the focus a bit. Personally, I hope they don't try to push whatever off screen friendship the two had when dealing with her grief. The trade off of losing a team mate in the process of gaining powers is strong enough to carry the story.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, exactly how useful will, uh, making mini earthquakes actually be on the show?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deakul posted:

So, exactly how useful will, uh, making mini earthquakes actually be on the show?

Eventually? Game breaking. In the short term while she's still trying to figure out how it works? Not at all. It'll be a liability, in fact.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder how many episodes she will spend being sad for the guy she didn't really interact all that much with.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Deakul posted:

Daisy Johnson's powers aren't necessarily creating earthquakes, but more along the lines of just generating powerful vibrations, whose effects CAN resemble an earthquake, but obviously, that's the most stupid, mundane use.

Whether it's less boring than that depends on how specific her power is going to be, according to the writers. Like many things, the most vague powers are the most powerful. Turning a knife into a high-frequency vibroblade that rips through much harder materials? Sonic waves? Collapsing bridges? Superheating things? (heat is vibration on an atomic level) It's limited only to her imagination. I imagine she'll use it to break out of mundane restraints at least once.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 16, 2014

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder how many episodes she will spend being sad for the guy she didn't really interact all that much with.

Well they did work and live together for close to a year and she's not an inhuman monster so it's understandable that she'd be a little upset over watching a man die.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

JT Smiley posted:

Well they did work and live together for close to a year and she's not an inhuman monster so it's understandable that she'd be a little upset over watching a man die.

Yeah. She straight up watched him disintegrate while this crazy poo poo happened to her. The only reason he was even in that room was because he thought he could save her.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

JT Smiley posted:

I feel like Simmons will be inwardly pissed at her and that'll make it worse.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mark my words, and mark them well:

We'll all look back to the days when none of the main characters were super powered.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Funhilde posted:

Yeah. She straight up watched him disintegrate while this crazy poo poo happened to her. The only reason he was even in that room was because he thought he could save her.

Didn't she make him disintegrate? Granted, he was already dead at that point.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Can you guys please shut up about how impossible it would be to have crossovers between this TV show and the movies? At this point you sound like middle school kids trying to make sure everybody knows that there's no Santa Claus. But this is mothafuckin Disney. They can shift paradigms if they feel like it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Daisy Johnson's powers aren't necessarily creating earthquakes, but more along the lines of just generating powerful vibrations, whose effects CAN resemble an earthquake, but obviously, that's the most stupid, mundane use.

Whether it's less boring than that depends on how specific her power is going to be, according to the writers. Like many things, the most vague powers are the most powerful. Turning a knife into a high-frequency vibroblade that rips through much harder materials? Sonic waves? Collapsing bridges? Superheating things? (heat is vibration on an atomic level) It's limited only to her imagination. I imagine she'll use it to break out of mundane restraints at least once.

AoS: Revengeance confirmed. I seriously hope she actually does this.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Halfway through her fight with Reina, Rules of Nature starts playing.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

SwissArmyDruid posted:

All of the crazy, game-breaking bullshit The Flash can do in the comics? About half of those things start with "All I need to do is vibrate the..." Daisy can potentially do most of those things.

And in a fight, she could trip you by shaking the ground, explode your heart from the inside (she did that to Wolverine once in the comics), rattle your weapons until you can't hold onto them, rattle machinery until it simply falls to pieces, vibrate random objects to create disorienting or painful levels of noise, cause bowel problems of varying and horrible levels, or ... well, have you ever seen the movie Orgazmo? That.

JT Smiley posted:

she's not an inhuman monster
Well, you're half right.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 16, 2014

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BreakAtmo posted:

To be fair, I'm not expecting Anime antics like Revengeance, but something more limited in scale. The mental image that I have that fits inside this universe is like the Highway fight in Cap 2, where the Winter Soldier uses his mechanical arm to rip through the side of a panel van with the knife: http://youtu.be/qXPOl6EjbWg?t=2m35s

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

To be fair, I'm not expecting Anime antics like Revengeance, but something more limited in scale. The mental image that I have that fits inside this universe is like the Highway fight in Cap 2, where the Winter Soldier uses his mechanical arm to rip through the side of a panel van with the knife: http://youtu.be/qXPOl6EjbWg?t=2m35s

Maybe Avengers 2 will give them access to a ton of robots cut in half cgi.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Vorgen posted:

Can you guys please shut up about how impossible it would be to have crossovers between this TV show and the movies? At this point you sound like middle school kids trying to make sure everybody knows that there's no Santa Claus. But this is mothafuckin Disney. They can shift paradigms if they feel like it.

Its been shut up about for a while. Thanks for bringing it back up :shrug:.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Vorgen posted:

Can you guys please shut up about how impossible it would be to have crossovers between this TV show and the movies? \

No one is saying this, not even me, but thanks for the straw man.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 16, 2014

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Barry Convex posted:

Didn't she make him disintegrate? Granted, he was already dead at that point.

Sort of but anything touching him would have made him disintegrate.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

redshirt posted:

Mark my words, and mark them well:

We'll all look back to the days when none of the main characters were super powered.

Yes, by definition we have to look back at every episode before the mid-season finale. Words marked.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

The first 11 episodes of this show seem SUPER BLAND compared to the last half of the second half of the first season and the first half of second season

I can't get myself to recommend anyone watch the show without explaining that "it's really loving boring in the start", even though AT THE TIME I found the first episodes really interesting, but not compared to the current happenings.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like the vast majority of modern drama shows that run for like 20+ episodes a season have a hump you need to get over. Reason they're making fewer of them I suppose.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Well, yes. But it's like they were told "your air slot begins on this time, make something up for X duration until this movie has aired and then you can begin exploring getting poo poo done... but wait for this movie before you really start doing things with the show".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

The first 11 episodes of this show seem SUPER BLAND compared to the last half of the second half of the first season and the first half of second season

I can't get myself to recommend anyone watch the show without explaining that "it's really loving boring in the start", even though AT THE TIME I found the first episodes really interesting, but not compared to the current happenings.

It seemed to start off as sci-fi/drama and then shift to sci-fi/action.

To be honest, I like both. The slow start last year gave us a chance to explore the characters and the team dynamics and added meaning to what came afterward. For example, Ward's betrayal wouldn't be as devastating if it weren't for the many heart-to-heart conversations he had with the rest of the team members earlier in the season. They took their time establishing him as a trusted, integral part of the team, and then BAM! He hit them like a ton of bricks.

For an illustration of why this was important, consider Trip. He was basically Ward's replacement. The problem is that season 2 has been a lot more action-packed, and the season plot has taken a precedence, so Trip didn't get much screen-time and a chance to properly establish himself. That's why his death wasn't anywhere as impactful as Ward's death would have been had he not turned out to be a bad guy.

That said, I understand the realities of television and I understand the reasoning behind the shift in direction. The show in its current state is much more of a "page-turner" than it was previously, and that's a good thing in an age where every show is competing for viewership. I'm just very cognizant of what was sacrificed: we have lot less character development now, and I think sooner or later this will catch up to us. For example, I don't find myself relating to Daisy's upcoming grieving of Trip's death: the two of them didn't share a lot of screen-time together, and we didn't get to see them form a bond like Skye and Ward did (e.g. when Ward was teaching her how to punch a sandbag). So there's a good chance that it will fall flat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

For an illustration of why this was important, consider Trip. He was basically Ward's replacement. The problem is that season 2 has been a lot more action-packed, and the season plot has taken a precedence, so Trip didn't get much screen-time and a chance to properly establish himself. That's why his death wasn't anywhere as impactful as Ward's death would have been had he not turned out to be a bad guy.

I don't know, I was really torn up when I thought Mac was dead/a drone and he's had less episodes than Tripp did. Binge watching the last four episodes without having read this thread first was great.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mack was this lovable dude that just bro'd the hell up with Fitz in his period of feeling out of the loop, while Tripp's character seemed more about throwing funny one liners. My defining moment for Tripp has to be the Hub scene where he gives Simmons his knife to gain he trust while poo poo's going down, and he's not been very interesting since then. While Mack just show up with an model car of Lola that he's gonna use to get Coulson to let him touch his baby car with? I'll take Mack anyday

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Soonmot posted:

I don't know, I was really torn up when I thought Mac was dead/a drone and he's had less episodes than Tripp did. Binge watching the last four episodes without having read this thread first was great.

Mack had less episodes but more substantial scenes. I honestly don't care about Tripp that much anymore. It's realistic that Daisy would given that she's lived on the same plane with him for awhile, but it would be more effective if we were actually shown this connection instead of merely told about it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
We did get some scenes of Tripp and Skye bro'ing it up this season. They mostly served as exposition dumps also, but there was definitely a strong friendship on display there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of Tripp character stuff happened last season. Its just this season that he didn't do much.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

A lot of Tripp character stuff happened last season. Its just this season that he didn't do much.

I get the feeling they've been writing around B.J. Britt's availability. He's a busy man. There's probably some happy medium between action and character development, but I can't really think of a genre show that's managed it well (that's not to say that they aren't good, just that they trade off one for the other).

enraged_camel posted:

It seemed to start off as sci-fi/drama and then shift to sci-fi/action.

To be honest, I like both. The slow start last year gave us a chance to explore the characters and the team dynamics and added meaning to what came afterward. For example, Ward's betrayal wouldn't be as devastating if it weren't for the many heart-to-heart conversations he had with the rest of the team members earlier in the season. They took their time establishing him as a trusted, integral part of the team, and then BAM! He hit them like a ton of bricks.

That said, I understand the realities of television and I understand the reasoning behind the shift in direction. The show in its current state is much more of a "page-turner" than it was previously, and that's a good thing in an age where every show is competing for viewership. I'm just very cognizant of what was sacrificed: we have lot less character development now, and I think sooner or later this will catch up to us. For example, I don't find myself relating to Daisy's upcoming grieving of Trip's death: the two of them didn't share a lot of screen-time together, and we didn't get to see them form a bond like Skye and Ward did (e.g. when Ward was teaching her how to punch a sandbag). So there's a good chance that it will fall flat.

There's a lot of bitching about the first half of Season One (and a lot of it has merit), but the moment Ward revealed himself worked very well because of all of that setup. Just go back and look at how many people couldn't believe it and made up all sorts of ridiculous scenarios as to why he was still one of the good guys. Hell, we still have people thinking he's going to get some kind of redemption and end up back on the team in spite of him brutally murdering most of his family. Tripp has had some good moments, but there was no way they could give him the kind of focus they gave Ward in Season 1. There's just too many moving pieces now and something else would have suffered in order to devote more screen time to it, Britt's availability not withstanding.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ilifinicus posted:

Well, yes. But it's like they were told "your air slot begins on this time, make something up for X duration until this movie has aired and then you can begin exploring getting poo poo done... but wait for this movie before you really start doing things with the show".

None of that excuses the pretty mediocre at best writing. Yes, they couldn't do anything with HYDRA, but they also were not forced to have 3 "ok now say it again in English" jokes and a "he's standing right behind me, isn't he?" joke. There was a lot of super lame writing in the first part of the first season. The best episode was probably the one with the Chitauri virus. They spent most of their time going no where with Centipede. Sure, it was HYDRA and they couldn't say anything, but better writing would have had them at least follow false leads. Hell, CyberTek was revealed to be involved, so why not go down that rabbit hole? The issue people had was that the show chose to go no where for half its season and resort to lazy writing on top of it all (writing that has been absent since the HYDRA reveal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

None of that excuses the pretty mediocre at best writing. Yes, they couldn't do anything with HYDRA, but they also were not forced to have 3 "ok now say it again in English" jokes and a "he's standing right behind me, isn't he?" joke. There was a lot of super lame writing in the first part of the first season. The best episode was probably the one with the Chitauri virus. They spent most of their time going no where with Centipede. Sure, it was HYDRA and they couldn't say anything, but better writing would have had them at least follow false leads. Hell, CyberTek was revealed to be involved, so why not go down that rabbit hole? The issue people had was that the show chose to go no where for half its season and resort to lazy writing on top of it all (writing that has been absent since the HYDRA reveal.)
I don't disagree at all, in hindsight the first 8 or so episodes were pretty awful. I stuck it through since I really like Coulson, though I did binge watch 10 episodes one each day if this past weekend so I guess it isn't that bad when you can just keep going and hope it gets better

• Locked thread