Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

quote:

Stuff about trading in RPGs.

To be honest I could see something like this being interesting if the game was actually properly built around it rather than just jamming it into a grogged up game of D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

All this talk about trading in RPGs reminds me of the Storm of Zehir NWN2 campaign, which I thought had a neat premise in the whole 'travel the continent, trade goods, establish outposts and caravans' mechanic. I'd enjoy playing a D&D campaign where we put our loot towards building a castle or town or trade empire or anything besides 'get loot to buy gear to get more loot'. It still had dungeons and you would go solving problems in the region just like a normal adventuring party, you just also were putting what you got towards long term stuff.

I think this is part of why I really want to like Exalted - it has a big focus on 'empire building' and building powerbases and stuff. I like that aspect of RPGs more than 'go kill things because problems due to those things'. Too bad Exalted never goes right.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Isn't building a giant-rear end castle basically the endgame for original D&D?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Birthright basically did this--that is, building/running a kingdom and worrying about trade and resources and the like.

It also had a :black101:GODDAMN VAMPIRE:black101: as a ruler of a kingdom, so you could totally get your not-Castlevania on.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

KittyEmpress posted:

All this talk about trading in RPGs reminds me of the Storm of Zehir NWN2 campaign, which I thought had a neat premise in the whole 'travel the continent, trade goods, establish outposts and caravans' mechanic. I'd enjoy playing a D&D campaign where we put our loot towards building a castle or town or trade empire or anything besides 'get loot to buy gear to get more loot'. It still had dungeons and you would go solving problems in the region just like a normal adventuring party, you just also were putting what you got towards long term stuff.

I think this is part of why I really want to like Exalted - it has a big focus on 'empire building' and building powerbases and stuff. I like that aspect of RPGs more than 'go kill things because problems due to those things'. Too bad Exalted never goes right.

If you haven't, you should give Reign a try.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I remember hearing people wax lyrical about how old school D&D was supposed to have the fighter graduate to being a landed lord with solders and stuff to balance out the wizard's crazy high level spells. Made me want a game where you start at that point, rather than running through nine levels of murderhobo dungeons to get there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Isn't building a giant-rear end castle basically the endgame for original D&D?

Yes, but it wasn't the endgame in the sense of that being the end of your character. There were like 20+ levels after that point to slog through.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WordMercenary posted:

I remember hearing people wax lyrical about how old school D&D was supposed to have the fighter graduate to being a landed lord with solders and stuff to balance out the wizard's crazy high level spells. Made me want a game where you start at that point, rather than running through nine levels of murderhobo dungeons to get there.

I've had people make this argument before, and it always seems to come from the same people who think that the fighter shouldn't be capable of leading anyone because he doesn't have high charisma. People who think that the Fighter should get to become a lord and have all the benefits of that to level the playing field inevitably want to be like 'well her ability scores don't support it so she can't actually', oh but look their sorcerer has 26 charisma so everyone will follow them so they have spells and minions obviously.

I'd never heard of Birthright or Reign before.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

I've had people make this argument before, and it always seems to come from the same people who think that the fighter shouldn't be capable of leading anyone because he doesn't have high charisma. People who think that the Fighter should get to become a lord and have all the benefits of that to level the playing field inevitably want to be like 'well her ability scores don't support it so she can't actually', oh but look their sorcerer has 26 charisma so everyone will follow them so they have spells and minions obviously.
In Basic, it wasn't based on your stats. When you hit level 9 (of 36), you had the option of just getting a parcel of land and building a stronghold/temple/wizard tower/hideout/whatever on it. Then XdY followers would just appear and boom, you're controlling an area.

quote:

I'd never heard of Birthright or Reign before.
Reign owns, buy it. Or at least check out all the free supplements to get an idea of what it's about.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Reign is kind of an automatic namedrop for "I want to do a fantasy game that's about building and running a guild/nation/whatever" but the sad fact is there just aren't that many other games out there which focus on that beyond Birthright (long out of print) and, what, maybe Adventurer, Conqueror, King which has its own issues, so Reign it is. It helps that it's actually a pretty good game.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is meikyuu kingdom a kingdom builder?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Is Meikyuu Kingdom ever getting a finalized English translation?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, it is a game where you get together to make you a kingdom. :downsrim:

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Tollymain posted:

is meikyuu kingdom a kingdom builder?
Pretty much. It never stops having dungeon crawls, but the actual purpose of the dungeon crawls is to conquer territory and collect materials to expand your kingdom, which is all handled in about the same level of mechanical detail as fighting, complete with weird random tables to roll on.

Kai Tave posted:

You'll have to bug adelantefax about that. :P

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Libertad! posted:

A lot of those hardcore simulationist gamers probably don't have Asperger's, but rather a boner for making a living, breathing campaign by doing things all the wrong way. Not to mention the overall nerd obsession with "realism" which is a misuse of the phrase "consistent."

Using "sperg" as a pejorative towards them is a bad idea people shouldn't do.

Thank you for saying that. As someone who has a family member with autism, I really get tired of people using the term for a form of autism as a pejorative.

Kai Tave posted:

I was just asking about that. It apparently hit a rocky patch, but the translators still plan to finish it, IIRC.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's good to hear. I honestly keep forgetting that Meikyuu Kingdom is a thing, hopefully they can get the translation finished soon so we can add another game to the fantasy kingdom-building pile.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes, but it wasn't the endgame in the sense of that being the end of your character. There were like 20+ levels after that point to slog through.

Oh, okay, I guess I'm used to that being abstracted away or not really playable, but I guess back then they could always play Chainmail.
It's weird to think of today's grog being yesteryear's cutting edge, super anti-grog.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It really is insane to think about the final antecedents of Dungeons & Dragons, and how in a lot of ways things like Dave Arneson's Blackmoor campaign pretty much were rules-light free-form storygames complete with important prop usage (I mean, poo poo, they had a newsletter). Then Gary Gygax was like "you know it would be cool if anyone but you actually knew HOW to run this game" and codified things. And for as much as his games did not reflect it, he did seem pretty ardently in favor of his own proclamation that if you do not like a rule you should just toss it or make a new one. HE WAS THE MOST CHILLAX GAMING BRO

sometimes

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

Thank you for saying that. As someone who has a family member with autism, I really get tired of people using the term for a form of autism as a pejorative.

as a real sperg i find i don't have the energy or focus to do simulationistic play. i can't say i speak for an entire demographic, of course, but the word doesn't seem to really fit the usage very well at all

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Tollymain posted:

as a real sperg i find i don't have the energy or focus to do simulationistic play. i can't say i speak for an entire demographic, of course, but the word doesn't seem to really fit the usage very well at all

Agreed. If I'm playing a game whee rules = physics, let me make sure that physics = narrative physics or I probably don't wanna bother with it any more without some compelling thing that probably has nothing to do with the game itself.

I know ACKS was recently mentioned in this thread, and as a "sperg" I actually find the accounting portion of that game hideous. If you really get off on making charts to describe how much money it takes to raise a fictional army and then maintain it, along with other such things, I suppose it's right on the money. I'd rather take other parts of that game for use if I'm gonna do something with it. Probably other games out there in a similar boat.

Incidentally, an alternative to ACKS for domain play in that style of game is An Echo, Resounding by Sine Nomine. It's basically a paradigmatically different approach to doing more or less the same thing with similar types of games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Another issue with ACKS is the whole Escapist thing, admittedly tangential to its qualities as a game but there you go.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Another issue with ACKS is the whole Escapist thing, admittedly tangential to its qualities as a game but there you go.

I wasn't thinking or talking about anything outside of the game itself. But yeah, if you think someone is terrible and you don't want to give them money because of that, then don't. Give money to Sine Nomine instead by getting AER if you like old school D&D and domain play. No need to feel guilty on either count that way.

My interaction with Tavis went really well. He helped me out when I had some mix-ups with my order of the two core books - great customer service there. I think there's good stuff in the game but there's also BAD stuff, like Accounting: the RPG. I'd already spent the money for those books before the Escapist thing ever happened, though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gasperkun posted:

I wasn't thinking or talking about anything outside of the game itself. But yeah, if you think someone is terrible and you don't want to give them money because of that, then don't. Give money to Sine Nomine instead by getting AER if you like old school D&D and domain play. No need to feel guilty on either count that way.

My interaction with Tavis went really well. He helped me out when I had some mix-ups with my order of the two core books - great customer service there. I think there's good stuff in the game but there's also BAD stuff, like Accounting: the RPG. I'd already spent the money for those books before the Escapist thing ever happened, though.

Oh sure, I wasn't trying to make it out like it was a knock against you or anything.

So what's the deal with An Echo, Resounding then? This is, I think, the second time I've seen someone bring it up here. It doesn't look like it's a self-contained game, more of a sourcebook.

fake edit; oh, it's by the Scarlet Heroes guys, okay.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Stuff

Cool. Didn't think you were necessarily arguing against me or my statement.

I don't have my own copy of it but as far as I understand it, An Echo, Resounding basically uses the tags system Sine Nomine has developed (though their implementation differs by genre) and uses them to structure an abstract system for domain play. I've heard people compare the tags system to Fronts from Dungeon World in at least a few places.

But yeah, it's not intended as its own game. It's ostensibly written for Labyrinth Lord but that doesn't mean necessarily anything because the great thing about the Sine Nomine games is this: one of the design goals is to give you some tools for game play that work even if you aren't into OSR.

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 16, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

As a confirmed sperg i find simulationism is a sometimes paradigm

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I have a real temptaion to run a simulationist game now.

On the forums, where the tables are made up by goons..... - No PC's, just me rolling dozens of stupid made up tables. The readers would affect the simulation by altering the tables. adding new ones as they see the need.

It would be glorious chaos.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
That sounds hilarious, do it! Character creation alone will bring out some total gems.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That does sound pretty good. I'm a sucker for games which modify their own rules in play.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Covok posted:

I will also thank you, Libertad, for the same reason.

While a mercantile campaign that arose from one long string of "DM May I?" because the players have to cajole play out of the DM sounds like the worst, I don't think All About the GPs, Baby is the worst D&D campaign ever. Instead of bean counting, run a big campaign about owning a caravan or being local mobsters who corner the market on grain, while threatening local farmers for protection all "Would be a shame if anything happened to your wheat... think of the poor kids who'd go to bed starving without their bread!" Oh, and I think a table would be useful for random events if you're running a caravan campaign. A caravan seems like a really good candidate for having random poo poo to happen to the PCs and not having it be ultra dull. Like maybe your wagon wheel breaks which leads lizard men disguised as bushes to ambush. You come across a talking pig who offers his accounting services. Things like that. I don't see it as particularly simulationist.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I watched the Jim Jarmusch vampire movie Only Lovers Left Alive, and though I loved it some buried part of my brain insisted that the beauty-obsessed hipster vampires it was about were Toreador from oWoD. Except they can only imitate, not create, unlike the characters in the film.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Just think, we could have had a Neuromancer RPG if only the designers had been able to come up with a quasi-element plane of krill and poo poo.

Gibson is a bad example because he's at the far end of writing re: giving no shits about researching anything, which is fine when you're writing a book (usually, anyway, Gibson has written some of the most influential sci-fi of our time and some awfully incoherent garbage as well), but doesn't work as well when you have five people at a table doing a shared reality.

I don't think simulation is a problem, it's a tool. The main issue is just jerks that champion simulationism as a virtue. But it's not a virtue any more than, say, improvisation. It's just a means of handling plots and settings. It can be done well and if you can juggle what's needed to do that kind of game, more power to you. I think where the core issue regarding simulationism and its worship comes from The Dungeon, and how D&D trains people to build The Dungeon, which is just a way to build an environment down to each 5' x 5' square, and the natural outgrowth of that (as we see from Judges' Guild material) is to build The City and The Wilds, and once you've put that much crazy work in, it's easy to turn around and sneer at somebody who doesn't know what store happens to be at their corner of Wyvern Way and MacAllister Lane. But knowing that kind of detail is a tool, not the actual goal (which is just enjoyment of the game), and it's easy to confuse the two.

Also nerds just love putting things in boxes. Putting things is boxes satisfies some raw nerd urge, and RPGs are full of putting things in boxes (classes, skill groups, magic schools, whatever), so it feels like a natural outgrowth to start putting everything in a box. I don't even know why it's satisfying, maybe it's just interesting to impose order on things. I just know bullet points are exciting and I have no drat idea why.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kai Tave posted:

Reign is kind of an automatic namedrop for "I want to do a fantasy game that's about building and running a guild/nation/whatever" but the sad fact is there just aren't that many other games out there which focus on that beyond Birthright (long out of print) and, what, maybe Adventurer, Conqueror, King which has its own issues, so Reign it is. It helps that it's actually a pretty good game.

Birthright is available via dndclassics now.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ravenkult posted:

My pet peeve in that Werewolf game was how the GM just gave the benefit of the doubt (for lack of a better word) to every NPC he had created. Like we'd be low on everything, from weapons or ammo to magical ''juice'' to fuel our powers (I've already forgotten the terms for this in Werewolf) and we'd have to fight 2 vs 6 and they'd have military grade equipment and be fully charged, never wounded, never caught by surprise. Meanwhile our team was half dead, carried pistols (we couldn't buy anything better because of REALISM).
This has always been one of the things I don't like about D&D. In WoD it's expected that enemy supernaturals aren't just going to dump all their resources (ammo, equipment, mana equivalent, whatever) into trying to kill the PCs because accruing those things is weeks of in-game work, but everything in D&D refreshes after an eight hour nap, so enemy monsters with 1/day spell-likes usually have no reason not to use them on you, as dollars to donuts you're their only encounter that day.

It's another reason why Wizards are better than Fighters. The argument of "Oh, well it's okay that the Wizard is stronger than the Fighter in the short term because the Wizard slowly runs out of resources as the adventuring day progresses while the Fighter doesn't" doesn't hold much water when you realize that class abilities designed to be short bursts of power (i.e. spells) are going to be used endlessly against the Fighter over and over and over.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Supreme Court posted:

That sounds hilarious, do it! Character creation alone will bring out some total gems.

potatocubed posted:

That does sound pretty good. I'm a sucker for games which modify their own rules in play.

Here we go then

To train wreck or glory!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Could you explain this?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ethics in tabletop games journalism

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tollymain posted:

:yikes:

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Tollymain posted:

That about sums it up. In more detail, as far as I know about it: the guy behind the Escapist, who is also the rules guru for ACKS, has financially supported the Gor RPG, if not other projects by Grimachu (I don't choose you). I believe the deal was the Escapist featured a piece about Gor and then didn't disclose that the dude behind it was also funding Gor: the RPG, so conflict of interest compounded with whatever judgments you make about Grim or Gor as a property, RPG, or whatever else.

Someone who knows the situation in more detail can speak up if I'm wrong, since it's the sort of thing I learn enough about to know I don't want to delve deeper.

Also, a bit belated, but I didn't shoot a thanks to Libertad (who is a cool dude from what I have seen of his postings here and elsewhere) for sticking up for spergs.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
No one would've really given a poo poo (because backing a crowdfunding thing isn't that big of a deal really), but GGers were making a big deal about a journalist writing about someone while pledging to their Patreon, yet silent about this thing because I don't know shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually the thing i'm referring to involves ACKS itself

• Locked thread