Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Sorry thread, my dog is the clear winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Don't think I saw this posted, and I haven't seen it elsewhere, but it's a video of the hostages relaying messages and demands from the gunman. Faces and names blurred.

I'm about to leave the office but if it's deemed unacceptable I apologise and can a mod please take it down:

Pretty sure it features deceased person(s).

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea1_1418646267

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Fairfax already posted unblurred video of the hostages relaying demands. 'cause gently caress decency, there's clicks to bait!

The same organization has published multiple op-eds decrying media coverage of the incident.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
How do I emigrate?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Pauline Hanson has picked this moment to announce shes running for parliament again

Lol

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

That's actually real, isn't it? I mean, I can see the Twitter comment itself on the site, but that's actually his personal account and this is a legit tweet and not just Poe's Law making me its bitch?

Feels silly to ask I guess but it just seems so ... inhuman seems the most appropriate word.

(e: grammar, I had a migraine this morning ugh)

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 16, 2014

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

That's actually real, isn't it? I mean, I can see the Twitter comment itself on the site, but that's actually his personal account and this is a legit tweet and not just Poe's Law making me it's bitch?

Feels silly to ask I guess but it just seems so ... inhuman seems the most appropriate word.

Renowned soulless lich makes inhuman tweet.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'd of thought Rupes fingers to be far too brittle to use a keyboard.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

markgreyam posted:

That's actually real, isn't it? I mean, I can see the Twitter comment itself on the site, but that's actually his personal account and this is a legit tweet and not just Poe's Law making me it's bitch?

Yes, that is his personal account, and yes he runs it himself. I guess the upside is that you can tell him to kill heself directly?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How do you not know Rupert Murdoch tweets? He's always wrong.

'

The owner of newscorp.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Rapner posted:

Not really. We don't have many Jewish people in Australia and they tend to be extraordinarily clannish. I've only gotten to know one fairly well and he was a total prick, but I expect that he was in no way representative of the group.
Is this some sort of clumsy attempt at humour or the result of standing on the slotted end of the rake?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbd4t-ua-WQ

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

katlington posted:

How do you not know Rupert Murdoch tweets? He's always wrong.

'

The owner of newscorp.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure people of all ethnicities have a similarly pale skin tone after you've drained them of all their blood to sustain your god cursed existence, so Rupes might technically be speaking the truth here.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

#moarguns

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Count Chocula posted:

This is why Australian comedy is so terrible, and finding a place with good bagels is a miracle. At least outside of Bondi/Woolhara.

Counterpoint - Austen Tayshus.

The prosecution rests.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

yeah more guns would result in less australians. good argument

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

But think how many robberies were prevented. Anyway, you can't compare the US to Australia that's apples to oranges. You have to compare like, Kansas to Texas or something.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Starshark posted:

But think how many robberies were prevented. Anyway, you can't compare the US to Australia that's apples to oranges. You have to compare like, Kansas to Texas or something.

Even the Brady Campaign admits guns are used to defend life or limb >100,000 times a year, so it's a net positive. Aussie women are raped 3x higher per capita than American women and your homes invaded 2x as often. Those rape vics should just be glad they get to be part of progress though. :dukedog:

thatbastardken posted:

yeah more guns would result in less australians. good argument

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

quote:

AUSTRALIA'S "useless" gun laws failed to stop the attack in Sydney's Martin Place, a new Victorian upper house MP says.

JEFFREY Bourman was officially elected to the Legislative Council on Tuesday and the Shooters and Fishers Party MP was asked what his party's platform was.

"No more useless gun laws. Because most of our gun laws now seem to be aimed at the law-abiding, not at the criminals," Mr Bourman told reporters on Tuesday.

"Exhibit A: Sydney. None of our gun laws stopped that."

When asked to elaborate, Mr Bourman said gun registration did not stop a criminal getting hold of a gun.

"What I would like to see is the registration proven to actually have a positive effect towards crime prevention, crime solving," he said.

"I'm actually saying that registration, as far as I can tell, is completely ineffective."

Mr Bourman, who was a Melbourne policeman before starting a 15-year IT career, said he wanted a review of gun registration laws.

"Obviously, I have my opinions and my data, but what I would like is to see a review into the whole thing and see good, workable laws that actually are effective," he said.

Mr Bourman is one of two Shooters and Fishers MPs to be elected to Victoria's Legislative Council.

They form part of the crossbench that holds the balance of power in the upper house.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

Even the Brady Campaign admits guns are used to defend life or limb >100,000 times a year, so it's a net positive. Aussie women are raped 3x higher per capita than American women and your homes invaded 2x as often. Those rape vics should just be glad they get to be part of progress though. :dukedog:

You mean, Aussie women report rapes 3x more often than American women, and because of our social welfare state our homes are robbed way, way less?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

You mean, Aussie women report rapes 3x more often than American women, and because of our social welfare state our homes are robbed way, way less?

:ssh: He's not using actual numbers anyway.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wow, it sure doesn't take long for idiots to piss on graves and talk about guns

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Now you're just spewing poo poo out your arse. Australia has a slightly higher rate of reported rapes (~5% more) than the US, but the US has something like 13x more violent rapes per capita. I'm sure we don't have twice as many home invasions per capita either.

Edit: clearly a troll, drat it

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

DeusExMachinima posted:

Where did you get your rape victim stats from :allears:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

No doubt this will be the discussion that finally settles the gun issue.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Wow, it sure doesn't take long for idiots to piss on graves and talk about guns

These are people from the group who believes more guns would prevent school shootings in their country. No joke.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lol if you seriously engage with somebody who points to the US as anything but a cautionary tale.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gun powder x Gun + bullets = saved lives

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ShoeFly posted:

Now you're just spewing poo poo out your arse. Australia has a slightly higher rate of reported rapes (~5% more) than the US, but the US has something like 13x more violent rapes per capita. I'm sure we don't have twice as many home invasions per capita either.

Edit: clearly a troll, drat it

No, it's not - this is what gun nuts all over the internet believe.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

open24hours posted:

Ignore them and they'll go away.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

It's such a fringe issue here that it's not going to be a part of the narrative / debate at all.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

DeusExMachinima posted:

Err, where are you getting your stats from?

While Australia's rate of rape per head of population is 5% greater than the US (289 vs 274 per million people), the rate of ALL murders is 4 times higher in the states (10.4 vs 42.0).

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Australia/United-States/Crime

Edit: Wow - that was quick

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There's already a change.org petition asking for stronger bail laws. I reckon people have a bit too simplistic a view of things and this is a kneejerk.

E: https://www.change.org/p/sydney-siege-gunman-should-have-been-in-jail-we-demand-stronger-bail-laws

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 16, 2014

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3579936&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=340#post439008365

get out

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh god not a change.org petition. That's a step too far.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

There's already a change.org petition asking for stronger bail laws. I reckon people have a bit too simplistic a view of things and this is a kneejerk.

E: https://www.change.org/p/sydney-siege-gunman-should-have-been-in-jail-we-demand-stronger-bail-laws

What happens when some random crazy who hasn't commited any offenses or even been charged goes and does something like this? I'm talking just someone with a history of mental health issues in regards to this, but what would people suggest then? We just lock up anyone who suffers from mental illness?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-mental-health-commission-major-strategic-plan-for-mental-health-released-20141215-127c1l.html

quote:

A key part of the plan, which will come with $115 million in extra funding rolled out during the next three years, is a shift to ensure people receive help in the community before their illness reaches crisis point.

The money will go mostly to the non-government sector and will target early intervention for children and families, but also aim to get people with chronic mental illnesses back into the community.

Premier Mike Baird said the funding would also send a signal to local health districts about how they should be planning mental healthcare, and aiming to keep people out of hospital.

"I think this is a historic day for the state of NSW in terms of the difference we are going to make," he said.

Thoughts?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Freudian Slip posted:

Err, where are you getting your stats from?

While Australia's rate of rape per head of population is 5% greater than the US (289 vs 274 per million people), the rate of ALL murders is 4 times higher in the states (10.4 vs 42.0).

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Australia/United-States/Crime

Edit: Wow - that was quick

Glad to see you're quibbling about some numbers and totally ignoring the other numbers that even our top gun control group admits to: ~10,000 gun homicides a year in the U.S. vs. >100,000 defensive gun uses against serious bodily harm/death. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Tony Abbott has a track record of using people dying to embiggen himself , has he tried to pull that poo poo yet?

• Locked thread