Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe someone who's more well versed in car design can explain this, but is it really so hard to design a normal looking electric car? I understand weight limitations and such, but is there any reason an electric car has to be some bubble based golf cart poo poo instead of all looking like a more traditional car? I mean Tesla and Fisker seem to have pulled it off...

Honestly, if anything the electric car stuff should free you from conventional styling. I'd make my electric car look like a Batmobile hosed a Furai, have giant 285 slicks out back and a fake tailpipe containing a Jacob's ladder in order to make sure blind people don't get hit by it.

quote:

The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator's car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deiverator puts the hammer down, poo poo happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car's tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the thee asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The Deliverator's car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady's thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

[...]

The Deliverator is a Type A driver with rabies. He is zeroing in on his home base, CosaNostra Pizza #3569, cranking up the left lane of CSV-5 at a hundred and twenty kilometers. His car is an invisible black lozenge, just a dark place that reflects the tunnel of franchise signs-the loglo. A row of orange lights burbles and chums across the front, where the grille would be if this were an air-breathing car. The orange light looks like a gasoline fire. It comes in through people's rear windows, bounces off their rearview mirrors, projects a fiery mask across their eyes, reaches into their subconscious, and unearths terrible fears of being pinned, fully conscious, under a detonating gas tank, makes them want to pull over and let the Deliverator overtake them in his black chariot of pepperoni fire.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Honestly, if anything the electric car stuff should free you from conventional styling. I'd make my electric car look like a Batmobile hosed a Furai, have giant 285 slicks out back and a fake tailpipe containing a Jacob's ladder in order to make sure blind people don't get hit by it.

Hey, I'd be all for that, make 'em look unique or something at least, but I just hate the way most of them look like some Prius knockoff or whatever the hell the Twizy is supposed to be.
Hell, if I had my way electric cars look like this, http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Corvega and have the reactor area glow green. :colbert:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 15, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Prius looks the way it does for branding and aerodynamic reasons. Everything else looks like the prius because it's become the calling-card of green/alternative propulsion vehicles. Honda made a civic hybrid which is indistinguishable from a normal civic beyond the wheels. AFAIK performance is comparable to a prius of the same generation. Sales definitely weren't though.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

High Protein posted:

Here (the Netherlands) only old and/or disabled people drive those things. Especially disabled people, it's actually called a "disabled person's car" here. I can't imagine any high school students willing to suffer the abuse they'd get if they showed up to school in one of those. That actual kids drive them in Finland baffles me; maybe there's also some country where that covered BMW scooter thing isn't the butt of jokes.

The most common ones are those Aixams; older ones were much simpler (and I guess you could say more honest) looking, the crossover-like plastic bash guards on the modern Aixams crack me up whenever I see one.

I'd rather ram a burning hot fire poker up my own rear end while a bear chews my dick off than be caught dead in that thing. It looks like somebody painted Barbara Streisand's nose red and put wheels on it. gently caress the automotive industry for allowing that rolling doorstop to exist. I hope the factory that churned out that hideous affront to aesthetics gets nuked.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What I wonder is why is it so critical that these kids have personal motorized transportation before they're old enough to have a license? Around here you just don't have a car until you get one. It's not like high schoolers are generally going on road trips or have very long commutes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

fakeaccount posted:

I'd rather ram a burning hot fire poker up my own rear end while a bear chews my dick off than be caught dead in that thing. It looks like somebody painted Barbara Streisand's nose red and put wheels on it. gently caress the automotive industry for allowing that rolling doorstop to exist. I hope the factory that churned out that hideous affront to aesthetics gets nuked.

Don't tell me you wouldn't race in a spec rolling doorstop racing series. It'd be one part spec Miata, one part 24 Hours of Lemons, and one part demolition derby.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

Don't tell me you wouldn't race in a spec rolling doorstop racing series. It'd be one part spec Miata, one part 24 Hours of Lemons, and one part demolition derby.

First person to commit automotive suicide wins, if only by virtue of escaping the shame.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

High Protein posted:

Here (the Netherlands) only old and/or disabled people drive those things. Especially disabled people, it's actually called a "disabled person's car" here. I can't imagine any high school students willing to suffer the abuse they'd get if they showed up to school in one of those. That actual kids drive them in Finland baffles me; maybe there's also some country where that covered BMW scooter thing isn't the butt of jokes.

The most common ones are those Aixams; older ones were much simpler (and I guess you could say more honest) looking, the crossover-like plastic bash guards on the modern Aixams crack me up whenever I see one.

I knew that thing reminded me of something! Just figured it out:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

I was just at the toy store, they have a new version of the Cozy Coupe. The Cozy Coupe Sport.

Look at that panache. The aerodynamic styling. The race-prepared dynamic spoiler in dayglo green.

The box has a picture of a little girl inside it, receiving a ticket from a little boy dressed as a police officer.

gently caress YEAH PIG I'M TAKING THIS poo poo TO MEXICO.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 15, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe someone who's more well versed in car design can explain this, but is it really so hard to design a normal looking electric car? I understand weight limitations and such, but is there any reason an electric car has to be some bubble based golf cart poo poo instead of all looking like a more traditional car? I mean Tesla and Fisker seem to have pulled it off...

Like a Renault Zoe, Kangoo, or Fluence? Hell even the Nissan Leaf doesn't look that out-there.
BMW decided to go all "Space Cars From The Future!!" with their EV design but I wonder if they'll outsell Renault with it.

Slavvy posted:

Prius looks the way it does for branding and aerodynamic reasons. Everything else looks like the prius because it's become the calling-card of green/alternative propulsion vehicles. Honda made a civic hybrid which is indistinguishable from a normal civic beyond the wheels. AFAIK performance is comparable to a prius of the same generation. Sales definitely weren't though.

Nearly indistinguishable on the outside, but on the inside, a tiny trunk and no split/fold rear seats meant a huge dent in practicality, which is why people buy cars like Civics. All things being equal, the Prius would outsell a hybrid Civic on the basis of fitting more junk in its trunk alone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not-a-dork factor counts for more than practicality otherwise cars wouldn't have styling at all :colbert:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Someone smashed in my drivers side rear window. Didn't steal poo poo from my car. Didn't hit any other car in my entire neighborhood. Just smashed the window and walked off. That's pretty terrible, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had that happen once except it was all the right hand windows on my old man's pristine 72 W115 merc.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Not-a-dork factor counts for more than practicality otherwise cars wouldn't have styling at all :colbert:

Explain this:

Even it outsold the civic hybrid.
:colbert:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Linedance posted:

Explain this:

People like ducks?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

People who buy regular Civics can't afford the hybrid (almost $10k more than a regular Civic.) People who can afford hybrids don't want to be seen driving a cheap Civic.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The multipla makes my head hurt like one of those pictures of people with 2 sets of eyes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Dannywilson posted:

The multipla makes my head hurt like one of those pictures of people with 2 sets of eyes.

I NEED AN ADULT!

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Dannywilson posted:

So which one do you look at when talking to him, especially if he caught the lazy eye and each one was going its own way?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Does this exist yet? Has Japan done this because now I need to see it...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Linedance posted:

Explain this:

No matter how bad a car is someone will buy it. It then breaks but by then the highly addictive chemicals infused into the acres of interior plastics have them neurological addicted, so they buy another one. Cheap broken used car also gets someone addicted, user base increases from there.

Ask me how I know.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I was just at the toy store, they have a new version of the Cozy Coupe. The Cozy Coupe Sport.

Look at that panache. The aerodynamic styling. The race-prepared dynamic spoiler in dayglo green.

The box has a picture of a little girl inside it, receiving a ticket from a little boy dressed as a police officer.

gently caress YEAH PIG I'M TAKING THIS poo poo TO MEXICO.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Terrible driver stuff:

"Idiot try out a Porsche Cayenne in the river"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cakefool posted:

No matter how bad a car is someone will buy it. It then breaks but by then the highly addictive chemicals infused into the acres of interior plastics have them neurological addicted, so they buy another one. Cheap broken used car also gets someone addicted, user base increases from there.

Ask me how I know.

See also: every Saab.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Get me one of those painted in OD green with a set of yellow flashers on top, add a toolbox basket on the back, and that would make an awesome flightline maintenance vehicle. Seriously I would drive the poo poo out of that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

I saw a Smart this morning in essentially those colors... looked like the car Ronald McDonald would drive. That was terrible car stuff.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

My college had a bunch of these that student organizations could use for various purposes.

They were a hoot driving across the walkways on campus, but honestly terrifying whenever they had to go on actual roads. Way too expensive to justify ever actually owning one personally, but they had their uses (beyond making people assume I had decision making power in some way).

My high school CAD (autodesk stuff) teacher was on the team that originally designed the GEM car. He tried to make it a project for us to get the one he had ripped apart in his classroom back together and running. That worked about as well as you can imagine for a project for high schoolers. After I graduated I heard they scrapped all of the technical and vocational classes and fired him, then they built a new school a few years later. All the worthwhile teachers I remember there have moved on.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Linedance posted:

Explain this:

I rode in one of these as a taxi in Naples. So, maybe the sales are down to it being a fleet car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Oae Ui posted:

I rode in one of these as a taxi in Naples. So, maybe the sales are down to it being a fleet car?

Italian cabbies get really mad if you try to skip a few cars in line so you can ride on the exact car you want. I had to ride in a stupid Mercedes C-class diesel instead of the super cool Punto that I wanted. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oae Ui posted:

Well it also consistently got good marks for function in spite of the looks. When Fiat redesigned it with a more standard front end it got excellent reviews.. Top Gear even gave it "best of" awards for a few years.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Italian cabbies get really mad if you try to skip a few cars in line so you can ride on the exact car you want. I had to ride in a stupid Mercedes C-class diesel instead of the super cool Punto that I wanted. :(

Luckily Italian cabbies also understand shouting and gesticulation, so they're really dismissed after exchanging the required 14 curses at 120db

xzzy posted:

Well it also consistently got good marks for function in spite of the looks. When Fiat redesigned it with a more standard front end it got excellent reviews.. Top Gear even gave it "best of" awards for a few years.

Uglybug then nosejob, according to the band of deluded half-breeds that habitually own them. They are amazingly functional though.

And there were apparently thousands as rentals in Spain.

Can we stop discussing these drat things please? I can't stop talking about them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

???????????????

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
That picture makes my skin crawl. It's like someone described what a car looks like to aliens and then they built it to blend in with society.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dannywilson posted:

That picture makes my skin crawl. It's like someone described what a car looks like to aliens and then they built it to blend in with society.

You should read Clifford D. Simak's The Visitors.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

88h88 posted:

???????????????

Still better than a Murano convertible.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

88h88 posted:

???????????????

Fiat did it better.

Yes, those are wicker seats.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Fiat did it better.

As seen here:
http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/louis-c-k-comedy-sex-and-the-blue-numbers

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Fiat did it better.

So you *did* miss the Fiat logo on the first one posted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Multipla

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

charliemonster42 posted:

So you *did* miss the Fiat logo on the first one posted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Multipla

:doh:

Completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

???????????????

By making it less top heavy you've drastically improved the handling straight out of the gate.

Basically this is the multipla superleggera and is happily drive it.