Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Darth Rainbow (Raynbow? Rainbough? Raynebough?) the secret apprentice/fuckboi to Lord Vader and long lost twin brother to at least Han Solo or Yoda

You mean Darth Reign'Beau?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

Netflix did, and it stars kevin spacey. House of Karrdes

:vince:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Technically it's real but the EU Council of Elders basically retconned it all to "never happened" status because the writer went off the reservation. As opposed to Pheremone Date Rape Guy, whose storyline was the focus of a massive marketing push with a video game and everything.

Oh, I did forget a certain series of video games that I'm glad happened earlier:

SUPER STAR WARS

Vaguely follow the plot of the first three movies, meeting all the cast of characters who incidentally appeared, and slaughter them. It's one of the better Super Nintendo games. Also the bottom of the sand crawler has a lava monster that kidnapped R2D2. You know, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb39BV6Gs40&t=1030s

Super Star Wars was fairly challenging but I never beat Super Return of the Jedi because escaping out of the exploding Death Star was just about impossible, so in my Official Super Star Wars continuity, the black guy dies at the end. I never got Super Empire Strikes Back but I hear Darth Vader was similarly difficult.

Those were fun as poo poo. I remember in Super Return of the Jedi they made Jabbas robot eye doorman a giant dangerous boss.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Pondex posted:

But I guess nerds got to mythologize something as the fastest or the bestest like they're a bunch of five-year-olds.

Just to be clear, I think it's all loving stupid as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lfield posted:

A Mofference was a secret conference held by the Imperial Central Committee of Grand Moffs in the secluded Mofference room of their Moffship.

Really thought this one was fake.

Ezelek
Apr 30, 2006

I raised you, and loved you, I've given you weapons, taught you techniques, endowed you with knowledge. There's nothing more for me to give you. All that's left for you to take is my life.
My favourite George-EU involvement was when he decided that they needed to kill Anakin Solo off, because people would confuse him with Anakin Skywalker with the prequels coming out

what people george

what people

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i was looking up admiral akbar for dumb stuff and i found this:

quote:

"It is, as some admiral once said, a trap."
―Mara Jade Skywalker

i can't stop cringing

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ThePutty posted:

i can't stop cringing

in-universe no one would remember that some admiral said its a trap when caught in a trap

i barely understand why nerds think that's funny

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ThePutty posted:

i can't stop cringing

yeah i'll just be over here in the corner for the next few hours wincing and sucking air through my clenched teeth, that's real bad.

by god if everyone who ever appeared in the films isn't related by blood/romance/rivalry/vendetta then at a minimum they're going to badly ape le meme'ed lines from those characters

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQljzQ_FpUE

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

in-universe no one would remember that some admiral said its a trap when caught in a trap

i barely understand why nerds think that's funny

this poo poo was lazy and embarrassing 12 years ago

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In the real world it's quotable when combat officers say something actually clever.
"Those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want them. We can fire in any direction now!"
"Nuts!"
"Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?"
"Molon labe."

In Star Wars world it's quotable when an admiral who has sprung a trap prosaically observes that it's a trap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqslieMkcI
(Skip to 49 seconds)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

star wars detours looks really bad. is it just going to be a half hour of sketches that were rejected by the seth greene plays with action figures show as too stiflingly unfunny?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Officially sanctioned parody is the lamest thing. It tries really hard to be funny but it can't actually make any fun of the subject it's parodying because it's made and paid for by Lucasfilm.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Technically it's real but the EU Council of Elders basically retconned it all to "never happened" status because the writer went off the reservation. As opposed to Pheremone Date Rape Guy, whose storyline was the focus of a massive marketing push with a video game and everything.

Oh, I did forget a certain series of video games that I'm glad happened earlier:

SUPER STAR WARS

Vaguely follow the plot of the first three movies, meeting all the cast of characters who incidentally appeared, and slaughter them. It's one of the better Super Nintendo games. Also the bottom of the sand crawler has a lava monster that kidnapped R2D2. You know, whatever.

Super Star Wars was fairly challenging but I never beat Super Return of the Jedi because escaping out of the exploding Death Star was just about impossible, so in my Official Super Star Wars continuity, the black guy dies at the end. I never got Super Empire Strikes Back but I hear Darth Vader was similarly difficult.

i had the game boy versions of the empire and rotj games

rotj was pretty great (as far as i remember) and i got to flying the millenium falcon into the second death star. never beat it cause it got hard and i lose patience with video games. empire was super clunky and not nearly as fun.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

SUPER STAR WARS

Those games were really fun. For me the secret was realizing the lightsaber was garbage, and to rush for max blaster and just decimate everything.

As for RotJ, the Death Star escape is easily my favorite level. Once I figured it out I used to just start a game on hard and level skip to that one and feel like a total bad rear end. :c00lbert:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

Those games were really fun. For me the secret was realizing the lightsaber was garbage, and to rush for max blaster and just decimate everything.

As for RotJ, the Death Star escape is easily my favorite level. Once I figured it out I used to just start a game on hard and level skip to that one and feel like a total bad rear end. :c00lbert:

*pushes you into a locker*

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

You just had to hold down the accelerate button the whole time on the way out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

You just had to hold down the accelerate button the whole time on the way out.

Ten-year-old me I guess couldn't handle the pressure.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

david... posted:

*pushes you into a locker*

This legit made me laugh out loud. gg mate.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Otisburg posted:

In Star Wars world it's quotable when an admiral who has sprung a trap prosaically observes that it's a trap.
It's the same thing as JC Denton going "A bomb!". Also Ackbar says it in a funny voice.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

It's the same thing as JC Denton going "A bomb!". Also Ackbar says it in a funny voice.

wow look at this disgusting blatant racism

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I'm not racist, some of my best friends are Mon Calamari!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

does anybody else think mon calamari is a really dumb name for a race of squid humanoids? what about bib fortuna too, that's also dumb

maybe george lucas really is the master troll

necroid
May 14, 2009

do you think he cares

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to skip forward in time and tell everyone that the Doom novels were unironically better than the totality of EU writing

ok, back to page 25

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

necroid posted:

do you think he cares

the star wars fan's ultimate folly

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

necroid posted:

do you think he cares

You know what's better than being a billionaire?

Being a billionaire while loving with nerds.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know what's better than being a billionaire?

Being a billionaire while loving with nerds.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

ThePutty posted:

does anybody else think mon calamari is a really dumb name for a race of squid humanoids?
It is, but in all fairness to Lucas:

"Wookieepedia, of loving course, posted:

When Return of the Jedi was in pre-production, George Lucas took one look at a nameless alien design laid out by the production creature designers. He decided at that moment that it was going to be Admiral Ackbar. Creature designer Phil Tippet named the species after his lunch of calamari salad one day as a joke. Eight creature masks were constructed for Mon Calamari background characters, though only Ackbar's was fully detailed and articulated.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ElGroucho posted:

Just wanted to skip forward in time and tell everyone that the Doom novels were unironically better than the totality of EU writing

The Doom novels were batshit bonkers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

ok, back to page 25

This is a legit good book and the voice it's written in is fantastic.

But man those third and fourth books really go off the rails.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is a legit good book and the voice it's written in is fantastic.

But man those third and fourth books really go off the rails.

What, the magical finger-chopstick aliens or the "Mormons take over the world"?

Also, the 2nd book was crazy sensible when 2 marine grunts jury a space shuttle together to fly from Phobos to Earth.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Sombrerotron posted:

It is, but in all fairness to Lucas:

You had ONE job, Phil.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ThePutty posted:

does anybody else think mon calamari is a really dumb name for a race of squid humanoids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOaROFFhpL4

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThePutty posted:

does anybody else think mon calamari is a really dumb name for a race of squid humanoids? what about bib fortuna too, that's also dumb

maybe george lucas really is the master troll

Don't forget the other aliens from that planet, the Quarren.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
would

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Space squid women often use their breasts to suckle their young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The woman in the background has only one leg. This being star wars I wouldn't be surprised if she's just a one legged species.

• Locked thread