Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, Grant Morrison crazy comics guy, add China Mieville's Dial H to my list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

teraflame posted:

I'm interested in reading about Galactus. What are the best written comics that feature him prominently? I haven't read any superhero stuff outside of some batman/superman.

Fantastic Four 48-51! Then Hickman's run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

teraflame posted:

I'm interested in reading about Galactus. What are the best written comics that feature him prominently? I haven't read any superhero stuff outside of some batman/superman.

Definitely Fantastic Four 48-51, but also Silver Surfer: Parable.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would also say Godhunter and Annihilation (including the Thanos mini before it)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Marvels has a brief but neat take on that Fantastic Four Galactus origin story, from the perspective of a reporter. It's also just a really good book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Skwirl posted:

Definitely Fantastic Four 48-51, but also Silver Surfer: Parable.

Yeah Silver Surfer: Parable is my favourite Galactus story, though it's hard to beat Moebius.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's Nova run has a really good Galactus story in issues 13-15.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

teraflame posted:

What If? Vol.2 #34

Thanos turns Galactus into Elvis Presley and greatness ensues. It's legit one of the best Galactus stories ever written.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Peak Charles Soule recommendations?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Swamp Thing 19 to the end which is coming in March.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His creator owned Letter 44 and She-Hulk are at the top for me.
Red Lanterns from #21, Swamp Thing from #19 and Inhuman are great.
Death of Wolverine and Superman/Wonder Woman were pretty good, SM/WW especially in relation to Greg Pak's great Action Comics and their crossover.

The rest, I dunno. I got Strange Attractors on a Comixology Sale a while ago. I need to crack into that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 16, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Eh, Death of Wolverine kind of sputtered out near the end imo. His Thunderbolts run (#12-26) took a terrible premise/team and made magic out of it (although I'd say you could prooobably skip 12 and 13 as they're mostly just wrapping up plot points from Way's terrible poo poo that came before).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Check out Letter 44.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
I recently finished reading Superior Foes of Spider-Man and I really enjoyed the Owl. What are some good stories he is featured in?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SlimeSanction posted:

I recently finished reading Superior Foes of Spider-Man and I really enjoyed the Owl. What are some good stories he is featured in?

Early in Bendis' Daredevil run for sure, but I don't have the TPBs with the issue numbers in front of me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Early in Bendis' Daredevil run for sure, but I don't have the TPBs with the issue numbers in front of me.

Daredevil 41-45

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Waid about to use him in the current run?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He already did.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

SlimeSanction posted:

Daredevil: Yellow.

shaqula
Apr 11, 2008
any reccomendations for poo poo like the new jonah hex, fear agent, loveless, and manifest destiny. fear agent has gotta be my favorite comic ever. also liked maybe preacher, transmetropolitan, and hellblazer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The writers of Jonah Hex moved on to Star Spangled War Stories Featuring G.I. Zombie. Nobody reads it and it's going to be cancelled in march, but I think it's really neat.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

shaqula posted:

any reccomendations for poo poo like the new jonah hex, fear agent, loveless, and manifest destiny. fear agent has gotta be my favorite comic ever. also liked maybe preacher, transmetropolitan, and hellblazer.

Check out Black Science

shaqula
Apr 11, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Check out Black Science
it looks bad rear end, thats what im lookin for

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

shaqula posted:

it looks bad rear end, thats what im lookin for

Prophet is pretty bad rear end too. You might like Saga if you haven't already read it. Storm Dogs, Copperhead, Starlight and Annihilators are more sci fi stuff I'm reading. We3 is pretty awesome.

shaqula
Apr 11, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Prophet is pretty bad rear end too. You might like Saga if you haven't already read it. Storm Dogs, Copperhead, Starlight and Annihilators are more sci fi stuff I'm reading. We3 is pretty awesome.

awesome thanks man, i'll check those out. i read we3 when i was super high and it made me really sad haha.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

shaqula posted:

The team that was doing All-Star Western has done like 100 issues or something of Jonah Hex. If you haven't read those I've heard they are pretty good.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm jumping back into reading comics after a couple year break. And even back then never read much. I am catching up on TWD and Invincible now, but those are the only 2 I have ever read most of the series.

I like supernatural, horror, scifi,marvel stuff mainly if that helps for some recommendations?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC just started a horror/supernatural book called Gotham by Midnight, which is about a GCPD group investigating paranormal cases. It's super creepy and not too connected to the DC universe that you'd need to know/follow anything else. The second issue is out on the 24th.
http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/gotham-by-midnight/1 reviews
https://www.comixology.com/Gotham-by-Midnight-2014-1/digital-comic/164737?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy digital store page with a few preview pages

Also, probably the most acclaimed horror comic in recent years, Locke & Key has it's first volume on sale right now, if you're reading digitally.
https://www.comixology.com/Locke-Key-Vol-1-Welcome-To-Lovecraft/digital-comic/18409?ref=cGFnZS92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvbGlzdDQ4Njk

In sci-fi, my favorite book is Manhattan Projects where the people creating the atomic bomb (the characters are real figures like Albert Einstein) were actually using it as a front for ridiculous mad science.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Manhattan-Projects/comics-series/7588?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 20, 2014

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

goodness posted:

I'm jumping back into reading comics after a couple year break. And even back then never read much. I am catching up on TWD and Invincible now, but those are the only 2 I have ever read most of the series.

I like supernatural, horror, scifi,marvel stuff mainly if that helps for some recommendations?

Planetary by Warren Ellis. The story follows a group of high-tech archaeologists from an alternate universe, in which our fiction is their reality, who travel around the world and investigate strange occurrences involving analogs for pop culture figures such as Doc Savage, Godzilla, James Bond and the Justice League. It's a super-meta deconstruction of the superhero genre filled with tons of neat references to 19th and 20th century fiction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

goodness posted:

Hellblazer, especially the Ennis stuff. You'll get varying opinions on every other writer, but I don't think I've ever heard a negative word about Ennis' Hellblazer. You don't need much context for it either, he's a lying rat bastard magician and his friends almost always die helping him and some hosed up poo poo happened in New Castle that haunts him to this day. Ennis was my first Hellblazer comic (trade really) and my only other experience was his brief cameo in Sandman (from the first arc, when they were trying to make Sandman fit into the then current DC continuity).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There are very few bad Hellblazer runs, so you're pretty safe no matter what trade you pick up.

Unless it's Azzarello or Diggle.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There are very few bad Hellblazer runs, so you're pretty safe no matter what trade you pick up.

That is not true. The only bad one is Denise Mina

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is JSA the best thing Johns ever did?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's no Avengers.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lurdiak posted:

Did one of them do the story where the antichrist was going to be born out of some dude's rear end in a top hat to mock the birth of Christ? That one was terrible.

There was another one I thought was bad as well, when he was going to a gay sex club or something, I think that was Azzarello.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true. The only bad one is Denise Mina

I'm the one rear end in a top hat who likes the Mina run too. That's why I was super conservative in my recommendation.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did one of them do the story where the antichrist was going to be born out of some dude's rear end in a top hat to mock the birth of Christ? That one was terrible.

That sounds like a Goon story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goon#The_.22Satan.27s_Sodomy_Baby.22_.22Controversy.22

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is JSA the best thing Johns ever did?

I haven't read everything he's written, but JSA, Flash, and his 12-issue Booster Gold run were all superb. 52 is great too, but he has to share credit with Waid, Rucka, and Morrison on that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

There was another one I thought was bad as well, when he was going to a gay sex club or something, I think that was Azzarello.

The gay sex club one was awesome. It was the culmination of Azzarello's arc and Constantine beat his antagonist by letting him kill Constantine. And Constantine shows up a week later in England with a beard and no explanation to start Mike Carey's run which is another top tier run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

That was Ennis. The storyline was Son of Man