Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I bought a corded drill recently with a keyed chuck. For whatever reason, I actually read the user manual and it mentioned that when tightening the chuck, you should tighten it from all three holes. A buddy at work said that his shop teacher in high school said the same thing. Being that it tightens by rotation, how does it make any difference if you just use one hole or all three? I always figured the three holes were just for convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
So there's this.

http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-GFN1664K-16-Gauge-Cordless-Finish/dp/B003BVJU06/?tag=dealnewscom&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER#customerReviews

That's pretty drat cheap for a gas nailer. I have the Hitachi version of this, it's pretty ok. Mine is having an issue with refusing to fire from time to time (turns out that's a pretty common issues across gas nailers) but I've read plenty of reviews from people that say their gun works perfectly also..

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SkunkDuster posted:

I bought a corded drill recently with a keyed chuck. For whatever reason, I actually read the user manual and it mentioned that when tightening the chuck, you should tighten it from all three holes. A buddy at work said that his shop teacher in high school said the same thing. Being that it tightens by rotation, how does it make any difference if you just use one hole or all three? I always figured the three holes were just for convenience.

Tightening each one ensures that the bit is held evenly. I do the same on my drill press, and it makes a big difference. The chuck actually doesn't transfer the force equally to each tooth.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Same on a lathe chuck.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sointenly posted:

So there's this.

http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-GFN1664K-16-Gauge-Cordless-Finish/dp/B003BVJU06/?tag=dealnewscom&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER#customerReviews

That's pretty drat cheap for a gas nailer. I have the Hitachi version of this, it's pretty ok. Mine is having an issue with refusing to fire from time to time (turns out that's a pretty common issues across gas nailers) but I've read plenty of reviews from people that say their gun works perfectly also..

At 23 bux for a can of gas how much do these use?

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

tater_salad posted:

At 23 bux for a can of gas how much do these use?

the gas comes in 4 packs so it ends up being $5-6 a can usually. I think you can shoot around 1200 nails per can.

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 16, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't read thr amazon description long enough to see it was a 4 pack

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I want to get a router, mainly for use in guitar-related projects. (Pickup cavities, rounding over body edges, etc.) Is there any reason to look at compact routers?

I'd agree with the previously linked Porter Cable being a great way to go. The compact routers are nice for small roundovers, but not much else unless you want to go agonizingly slow. I built a couple guitars when I was a teenager with a big Hitachi plunge router and it worked awesome.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Has anyone bought one of the Milwaukee M12 hoodies? I never knew such things existed and now am really curious how well they work.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Anubis posted:

Has anyone bought one of the Milwaukee M12 hoodies? I never knew such things existed and now am really curious how well they work.

I am wearing one right now. It heats well, but the hood is pretty stupidly short, it only comes forward halfway on my head. Normal 2XL hoodies fit fine so I blame Milwaukee here. The sleeves are fleece lined (ie no liner), not the nice waffle material of the torso. It is not windproof, and the battery pack takes a little getting used to in bucket seats. On the 2XL, the front heat patches are pretty far away from the zipper; I think they increase the hoodie sizes by just adding material at the centerlines front and back. Carry an extra battery if you have a backpack or a manpurse and you're good for most of a day.

Those are my complaints. On the other hand I wear it literally every day and would only try to return it if they made a black one again.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Anubis posted:

I just got the bosch jacket. it's nice and works pretty well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
For anyone looking for shop lights/has a costco membership, check out the 4ft LED T8 style fixtures from Felt Electric for $39.99. They are pretty well regarded on garage journal.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270879

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Anubis posted:

I haven't bought the hoodie, but I bought the hoodie-less heated jacket and I love it. I bought it to use while doing valet, and it's great. Very windproof, and keeps you warm.l The battery only lasts like 4 hours if you keep it on full blast though, but otherwise it's great.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Woo hoo my wife got my Christmas present and I couldn't help but see the 22' werner multi ladder in the garage when I got home tonight. Is there a reason to get a different brand like little giant or something else?
Also adulthood is odd.. 16 year old me would have scoffed at getting a ladder for Christmas

ADHDan
Sep 22, 2006

A genuinely kind goon who goes out of his way to help others. These traits can't be diminished by the fact that he actually likes Minneapolis.

tater_salad posted:

Woo hoo my wife got my Christmas present and I couldn't help but see the 22' werner multi ladder in the garage when I got home tonight. Is there a reason to get a different brand like little giant or something else?
Also adulthood is odd.. 16 year old me would have scoffed at getting a ladder for Christmas

35 year old me wishes so much I had a 22' ladder specifically for the holidays. Trudging around on the roof of a split-entry house to put up lights in a Minnesota winter is goddamn terrifying and probably the dumbest thing I've ever done.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ive got a step ladder and an aluminum extension ladder but I love how easy the multi laders are.. especially since I have vaulted ceilings upstairs... to get my ext ladder upstairs id probably need to feed it through a window my stairs have a narrow tight 90° bend.

Ive used a multi lader before and my only complaint is they are hell on feet if you are painting with them

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

ADHDan posted:

35 year old me wishes so much I had a 22' ladder specifically for the holidays. Trudging around on the roof of a split-entry house to put up lights in a Minnesota winter is goddamn terrifying and probably the dumbest thing I've ever done.

I have a steep slope on a couple parts of my roof so I just shimmied out with one leg on each side of the peak. lol.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ExplodingSims posted:

I haven't bought the hoodie, but I bought the hoodie-less heated jacket and I love it. I bought it to use while doing valet, and it's great. Very windproof, and keeps you warm.l The battery only lasts like 4 hours if you keep it on full blast though, but otherwise it's great.

What is that thing lined with? Still considering upgrading, since the hood part of the hoodie is the meh part.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

For anyone looking for shop lights/has a costco membership, check out the 4ft LED T8 style fixtures from Felt Electric for $39.99. They are pretty well regarded on garage journal.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270879

drat, I wish I wasn't completely tapped out financially from holidays / vet bills / life in general right now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

drat, I wish I wasn't completely tapped out financially from holidays / vet bills / life in general right now.

Tell me about it. I want to buy ~12, but I'm just too broke and don't want to load up the CC's (and can't due to Costco's policy).

Take a read: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272945

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 18, 2014

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

tater_salad posted:

I picked one of those up during Home Depot's Black Friday sale (they were $125 which was a steal; they usually run like $200+) and it's been great. Only drawback is the weight, significantly heavier than an a-frame. I'm gonna do some siding next week and am looking forward to using the scaffold option.

I also just got in a wobble light and this thing is awesome. Ive never had much luck with those cheap halogen tripods, this thing is so stable and bright, it makes it easy t work outside after dark.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
So, I picked up a $500 Home Depot gift card at the company Christmas party this weekend.

Was looking at getting a new drill/impact driver set. Should I go ahead and buy now, or are there usually some decent post-Christmas sales?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

n0tqu1tesane posted:

So, I picked up a $500 Home Depot gift card at the company Christmas party this weekend.

Was looking at getting a new drill/impact driver set. Should I go ahead and buy now, or are there usually some decent post-Christmas sales?

Check this deal out and decide for yourself, posted about this a short bit back when asking for suggestions on what to get for myself:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Seasonal-Gift-Center-Tiered-Tool-Offer-Step-One-Select-Combo-Kit/N-5yc1vZca8n

I am going to be getting the Milwaukee kit that is $399, then use the $150 credit to get me a saw of some sort, think this is the best thing going currently.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I want to start a new hobby of woodworking by building a table/bench, and I want an end vise, something between $150 and $20, most likely $48 unless someone says otherwise. Will I really notice the difference between the three different priced vises? Sure they are slightly different sizes and different openings, but that is a hell of a price difference.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 21, 2014

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Check this deal out and decide for yourself, posted about this a short bit back when asking for suggestions on what to get for myself:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Seasonal-Gift-Center-Tiered-Tool-Offer-Step-One-Select-Combo-Kit/N-5yc1vZca8n

I am going to be getting the Milwaukee kit that is $399, then use the $150 credit to get me a saw of some sort, think this is the best thing going currently.

Yeah, I was probably going to go with this Makita kit, since that's what we use a lot at work, but don't really have a need for any of the other tools.

I have a Ridgid kit with the drill, impact driver, circular saw, and reciprocating saw, but the batteries are crap. They're also heavier than the Makita kits. I never used the circular saw, and rarely used the reciprocating saw. Not sure what other tool I'd get though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Get the LED work light. It's AMAZING.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

My wife wants to buy me a miter saw for xmas. Can anyone tell me if this one is any good for home diy stuff.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_116704-67702-C10FCE2_4294607768__?productId=1005467&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26page%3D1&facetInfo=
Hitachi C10FCE2

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Whale Cancer posted:

My wife wants to buy me a miter saw for xmas. Can anyone tell me if this one is any good for home diy stuff.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_116704-67702-C10FCE2_4294607768__?productId=1005467&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26page%3D1&facetInfo=
Hitachi C10FCE2

Having owned 2 mitre saws in the past few years. The first - an el cheapo "Ozito" brand being a piece of poo poo mainly because the turn style was quite inaccurate and didn't really lock in very well so for cutting things like architraves was rather frustrating to have the angles out a few degrees each cut. Then it came time to change the blade out - holy poo poo the socket head screw that retained the saw was of poor quality and really loving tight so I of course rounded it out and even then couldn't remove it with a pair of vice grips.

The 2nd saw I've had and am really happy with is a Ryobi brand which is probably twice as dear, cuts nice and smooth, the turn style is really accurate and has a satisfying 'click' when it drops into your most used angles 15, 30 and 45 degrees. A laser sight and small work light are great too.

tl:dr sometimes it's worth paying more. The model you showed looks like a pretty basic model which might be great if your just doing rough cuts etc but if I was going to use that particular brand I'd go the next model up - https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ved=0CGsQ8wIwAQ

your paying a little bit extra but you will notice a huge difference.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
I just did my whole garage in the Costco Feit 40$ LED shop lights. Its amazing how much nicer the garage is now that its well lit.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

^^^ I was just eyeing my work area and I think I'm going to pick up a couple of those!

I had a Lowe's coupon that was expiring so I finally convinced my wife it was time to buy the table saw. I expect this will be my workhorse, and my dad's shopsmith I can still use as a secondary. Should reduce the amount of switching around I need to do. After getting it together, I can see my shop is going to be a little on the crowded side, but nearly everything can be wheeled around, so I think I'll be okay.

Picked out this bad boy:

Went together pretty nicely and only took a couple hours to get set up. Appears to be pretty dead on right from the factory and I got the rails together and aligned without too much fuss. The fence appears to be nicely aligned, so I must have done at least that right.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

I want to start a new hobby of woodworking by building a table/bench, and I want an end vise. Will I really notice the difference between the three different priced vises? Sure they are slightly different sizes and different openings, but that is a hell of a price difference.

The sizes probably won't make any noticeable difference. The biggest difference will be fit and finish. The Jorgensen has the name associated, also, which has a lot to do with the price. If you're going to go with this style of vise for an end vise, though, you can always add it later. I would suggest watching this video, build your bench, work with it for a while, and then see how badly you need a tail vise. If you can find anyone nearby who has one, that's the best way to decide. Personally I would have a hard time spending that much for that style of a vise, but I have a hard time spending that much money for anything.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Whale Cancer posted:

Hitachi C10FCE2

I've had this saw for about 2 years or so and I'm happy with it. I wish I would have gotten the sliding one though. All in all its a good saw and I find it to be very accurate.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Whale Cancer posted:

Hitachi C10FCE2

I've owned a similar saw for a while and it seed light use. I've nevet had a complaint about how it works. This is the saw I used in my story a few posts ago about a poo poo harbor freight saw.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Whale Cancer posted:

Hitachi C10FCE2

That's the one I have and it's decent. I'm starting to get annoyed with its cuts but I think the blade's just dull. I always kinda forget about it and wind up using my circular saw way more often tho'.

I've been trying to decide on a router kit for forever; anyone got an opinion? I keep going back and forth between Porter Cable, Makita, and Bosch. But then I saw this Dewalt kit (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618B3-Horsepower-Plunge-Fixed/dp/B0000CCXU3/ref=sr_1_23?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1419299356&sr=1-23) which sounds pretty good tho' I'm not a Dewalt fan and haven't really considered them for woodworking.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have that dewalt set, sans the D-handle base. It gets a lot of use in my shop and I have no complaints I can think of.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
Good to hear you've ha positive experiences with it; I always think of Dewalt for rough carpentry, not fine wood working. But the D handle looks really convenient and I like that there's a ton of accessories. There's even an attachment that lets you use it with tracksaw track which could be really handy.

In other tool news, I cannot wait until my workshop is done and my table saw is set up. Ripping 2x4s with a circular saw is a pain in the rear end.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
To add to the conversation : the Craftsman Pro 2.5 horse router is identical to the Bosch 1617EVSK package, and it's $50 cheaper. There may be a difference in average bearing quality or runout, but I'd expect the standard deviation in manufacturing of consumer grade stuff to erase any average difference.

I have the Craftsman and it's just fine. I wish it was a double-wrench setup instead of a spindle lock, but whatever. I also like that I can use the same edge guides as I do in my Colt plunge base, so all the jigs and stuff I've made for my Craftsman translate over to the Colt setup. Worth thinking about if you're edging towards system woodworking but can't go to the Festool system.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Post hot wire cutter pics and the most DIYedest imgs you got for Christmas!

Wifey got me a Hitachi cordless sawzall. :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In terms of pliers, does the essential basic toolbox include needle-nose, linesman, tongue and groove, and monkey? And a vise grip for good measure.

It seems diagonal pliers aren't necessary with linesman, and a slip joint is covered by tongue and groove + linesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

In terms of pliers, does the essential basic toolbox include needle-nose, linesman, tongue and groove, and monkey? And a vise grip for good measure.

It seems diagonal pliers aren't necessary with linesman, and a slip joint is covered by tongue and groove + linesman.

Lineman's pliers can't cut up close to something, like I particularly like to use diagonal cutters to snip zip ties off packages (hard on scissors). Tongue and groove or channel lock could replace slip joint, but they are a lot bigger, heavier and more expensive. Actually, I am not really sure what channel locks are good for. I mean I'm sure they are good at grabbing pipe (which I rarely do), but I use slip joint pliers to either pinch items or hold small nuts and bolts, for anything a slip joint can't handle I would prefer a wrench instead of channel locks.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 26, 2014