Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

flosofl posted:

You realize there's nothing stopping you from throwing out any number you want, correct?

Legally (at least in the US) your previous employer can do nothing but say that you were, in fact, employed there from date X to date Y. They are not allowed to disclose information regarding your departure or any other information regarding your time there. They open themselves to legal action from you if they do, and no HR dept is going to willingly release that information.

I don't think that's how it works. A company is allowed to say anything provided it is true or an honest opinion. Matters of opinion could wind up in court on the basis that it is untrue, so many companies have a policy of limiting what is said about an employee. Many companies is not the same as all companies. Lying to an employer doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

evol262 posted:

The way your employer sees it, you're already in an exempt position with a formal job description which says so, with appropriate compensation.

Go on the market if you want 30%.

Don't fall into this trap of "I work more so I should get paid more". Go to an hourly job if you want that. Learn that you don't need to accomplish absolutely every thing on your plate that day, learn to comp time when you have project work that means 55 hour weeks, etc.

You're working more for nothing. Why would they pay you more?

I'm pretty sure "salary-exempt" is not code for "we own your life." Compensation is an agreement between the employer and employee. The amount agreed upon was for 40 hours and occasional overtime. Since staff were cut, overtime is now frequent. If the company now asks for more, it's only fair that I ask for more as well. If they want to own me, I expect them to pay me a fair rate for it.

I may have to, for 30%. I'd at least give them a chance to keep me, as once I receive an offer letter, my policy is not to accept counter offers.

We're past what better time management can fix. I may get 50 hours of work in a week, and I pick the 40 that get done that week. Due to lackluster project management, my availability is rarely considered in planning. Frequently that 40 becomes 45 to avoid a highly visible failure, and if something unrelated breaks (I handle both new service and support of existing clients), it's a 50 hour week. Losing a customer to teach another department how to plan better is a career limiting event. When you had a three person team, odds are someone was in a lull and could absorb the surge. With only one person, the only outlet is overtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Reference checks are usually done by the company performing the background check, not by in-house HR, so they typically will boil the whole thing down to a few quantitative questions that fulfill a checklist anyway. The last few calls for references I've gotten have been:

• Did [person] work with you during [period]?
  • What was the nature of your work relationship?
  • Did [person] leave the company of their own accord, or were they terminated?
  • Would you hire [person] again?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

quote:

Matters of opinion could wind up in court on the basis that it is untrue, so many companies have a policy of limiting what is said about an employee.
It doesn't matter whether it's true or not. It doesn't need to be libelous to end up in court. It just needs to be damaging. But you need to demonstrate that it happened to have a case (like a firm offer which is rescinded after a reference call), and it's hard to do that.

quote:

I'm pretty sure "salary-exempt" is not code for "we own your life." Compensation is an agreement between the employer and employee. The amount agreed upon was for 40 hours and occasional overtime. Since staff were cut, overtime is now frequent. If the company now asks for more, it's only fair that I ask for more as well. If they want to own me, I expect them to pay me a fair rate for it.

I may have to, for 30%. I'd at least give them a chance to keep me, as once I receive an offer letter, my policy is not to accept counter offers.

We're past what better time management can fix. I may get 50 hours of work in a week, and I pick the 40 that get done that week. Due to lackluster project management, my availability is rarely considered in planning. Frequently that 40 becomes 45 to avoid a highly visible failure, and if something unrelated breaks (I handle both new service and support of existing clients), it's a 50 hour week. Losing a customer to teach another department how to plan better is a career limiting event. When you had a three person team, odds are someone was in a lull and could absorb the surge. With only one person, the only outlet is overtime.

As you've demonstrated, they do own your life. Life isn't fair. They're under no obligation to pay you more because you're working more, and you shouldn't expect it in any way or present your case that way. Ask for a raise. If it's less than you want, see what you can get somewhere else. That's all. They don't owe you 30%. And if they give it to you, they're just gonna gently caress you in some other way. Leave.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wait and see what they say at least man. The answer to every problem with a job isn't "leave" 100% of the time, despite that being the predominant solution around here.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Not to mention the fact that you seem to have a solid plan and that you haven't said anything about the company "owing" you that much. No reason not to ask them for that much. Honestly I'd frame it in terms of the fact that your responsibilities and hours have ballooned so much that you're basically doing a new job, so it's time to re-negotiate your job description and compensation to suit.

I mean. Don't be surprised if they laugh you out of the room just on the basis of "30%" since managers seem to be hard wired to look at a percentage and completely discount all other circumstances. But still no reason not to ask at this point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Contingency posted:

I don't think that's how it works. A company is allowed to say anything provided it is true or an honest opinion. Matters of opinion could wind up in court on the basis that it is untrue, so many companies have a policy of limiting what is said about an employee. Many companies is not the same as all companies. Lying to an employer doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

I did some digging, and you are quite correct. It seems most companies have a policy in place not to disclose more than the bare minimum for employment history verification so as to not open themselves up to a defamation claim. However, it's entirely voluntary and on a company to company basis. Thanks for setting that straight. This seems to be a common misperception in the US.

Contingency posted:

I'm with you on this one. They hired me with a salaried compensation based on a certain number of active working hours per week. Included in this is the expectation that I will occasionally be the on-call contact for sev 1 issues that normally require escalation to my group (which is not that often). There's the odd project with weird deployment schedules, and I may voluntarily spend an extra couple of hours a week on work, but on the whole my company pays for 40 hours per week and that's what they get. It also helps that managers have discretion when it comes to comp time and what not, so at the very least I'll get comp time that matches my overage if there's unavoidable "overtime". It works for our group and everyone involved is satisfied with the arrangement.

Now, if comp time were to be cut or go away, that is time to start talking about raising my compensation or or getting a written agreement that anything over 40 hours would involve an overtime rate based on my salary's hourly rate at 1 hour increments. Be aware that depending on your position, seniority, and overall value added to the company this may be a fight that will be lost. An entry-level employees will have a much harder uphill battle than more senior staff. So, always have an exit strategy. It may take some time, but if your current employment is unacceptable then don't roll-over, start actively looking for another job.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I got a new manager at my last job. She informed me that even if I was called at night to work I still had to show up at 8am. I did one night from 1am to 7am. She still expected me in at 8am. 1 quick phone call to HR telling them I needed a taxi to take me to and from work due to lack of sleep and I would not jeopardize my health or safety driving a vehicle without adequate sleep stopped that poo poo real fast. Last I heard since I quit because of her she has 30 days to find a new job.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Misogynist posted:

Reference checks are usually done by the company performing the background check, not by in-house HR, so they typically will boil the whole thing down to a few quantitative questions that fulfill a checklist anyway. The last few calls for references I've gotten have been:

• Did [person] work with you during [period]?
  • What was the nature of your work relationship?
  • Did [person] leave the company of their own accord, or were they terminated?
  • Would you hire [person] again?

From what I've heard, most HR places are only instructed to answer 1, 2, and 4. If the person quit and the company mistakenly says they are terminated, they can be sued for that.

Many HR companies won't even say what they thought of the person for the same reason, whether negative or positive. They'll just say "yeah they worked here from date to date, this was their job title, they are no longer with us" and that's it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Well today is my first day on the job as essentially tier 1 support and while it'll mostly be getting my badge and accounts setup I'm still excited to start getting hands on experience. Any advice? I've never used a ticketing system before either for that makes me a bit nervous.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Remember your innocence fondly.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Don't be afraid to admit you don't know something inside of your department, but never admit fault for anything outside of it :patriot: Seriously. Just never admit anything is wrong or broken to sales or they will never stop bringing it up and blaming their problems on it

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Seriously, and don't be afraid to reach out to your supervisor (and this thread). There should be some sort of knowledge base (even if it's just a OneNote) that should be your go-to place for local issues and answers. If not, make one!

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Zero VGS posted:

From what I've heard, most HR places are only instructed to answer 1, 2, and 4. If the person quit and the company mistakenly says they are terminated, they can be sued for that.

Many HR companies won't even say what they thought of the person for the same reason, whether negative or positive. They'll just say "yeah they worked here from date to date, this was their job title, they are no longer with us" and that's it.

It may vary state to state, but I do reference checks daily and I will say that there are only a very few companies that adhere to this. Usually only the bigger companies, but even then a lot of individual managers will still have a conversation with you if they want to help the candidate. References, particularly former managers, are always a key part of your job search.

It's rare that a reference trashes a candidate, but during a conversation you can pick up a lot that tells you if the reference really liked the person or not and would actually work with them again.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Drunk Orc posted:

Well today is my first day on the job as essentially tier 1 support and while it'll mostly be getting my badge and accounts setup I'm still excited to start getting hands on experience. Any advice? I've never used a ticketing system before either for that makes me a bit nervous.

Don't be too clicky. Read dialog boxes thoroughly before doing anything and just take it slow until you know what you're doing. Better to take a few minutes longer to complete something than make a mistake because you're trying to show you can type or complete a task really fast. Make notes, asking for help is fine, but when somebody rattles off a password or obscure URL or series of steps to do something, document it yourself right away if it's not documented anywhere else.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 15, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Who puts their current employer or a previous HR department as a reference? :psyduck:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Misogynist posted:

Who puts their current employer or a previous HR department as a reference? :psyduck:

I've put last boss (current at the time) as a reference because we're tight, he gave me a shining review :whatup:

And you don't put your previous HR dept as a reference, but a new job may very well call every previous job's HR department as a background investigation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I've put last boss (current at the time) as a reference because we're tight, he gave me a shining review :whatup:

And you don't put your previous HR dept as a reference, but a new job may very well call every previous job's HR department as a background investigation.
Oh, gotcha. I was considering the background check and verification of employment history a totally separate thing from the reference check.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Apparently I did a weeks worth of work today. New departments going well, I barely felt like I was working and didn't realise that it was the end of the day because I was actually enjoying myself :toot:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Roargasm posted:

Don't be afraid to admit you don't know something inside of your department, but never admit fault for anything outside of it :patriot: Seriously. Just never admit anything is wrong or broken to sales or they will never stop bringing it up and blaming their problems on it

Yeah this is good. Other people I've seen be way to specific on what is wrong and/or who is fixing it. I give "we're looking into it" or "I need to talk to my supervisor about this" answers a lot. Not that I'm a black box and everything from me is a cryptic response, but I try to be careful about who I tell what things. Telling too much to the wrong person can backfire easily.

I frequently go with "it's a server issue, it's being worked on right now" and that usually shuts people up.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

myron cope posted:

Yeah this is good. Other people I've seen be way to specific on what is wrong and/or who is fixing it. I give "we're looking into it" or "I need to talk to my supervisor about this" answers a lot. Not that I'm a black box and everything from me is a cryptic response, but I try to be careful about who I tell what things. Telling too much to the wrong person can backfire easily.

I frequently go with "it's a server issue, it's being worked on right now" and that usually shuts people up.

Seconding this. We have Chicken Littles that will take too much information and run with it, or freak out over details they don't understand. Just telling people that you are addressing the issue, and that you have a good idea of what the problem is while not stating the idea, normally goes a long way.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mayodreams posted:

Seconding this. We have Chicken Littles that will take too much information and run with it, or freak out over details they don't understand. Just telling people that you are addressing the issue, and that you have a good idea of what the problem is while not stating the idea, normally goes a long way.

Thirding this. There are people that, once they know something has been a problem one time ever in recorded history, declare it's the problem EVERY SINGLE TIME. They stop doing any rational troubleshooting and just punt the problem to you. It's infuriating and you'll pretty quickly learn who that person is in your company.

:v: Hey Team, I know some of you have had trouble printing this week. I found a problem with the print server and it's been resolved. Thanks for your patience.

*6 months later*

:smuggo: Yo Docjowles, my wifi isn't working. I bet it's that lovely printer server you guys can never seem to keep running. Fix your poo poo.

:v: That makes literally no sense. Did you check the physical wifi switch on your laptop? Make sure you're typing the key correctly?

:smuggo: Print server.

:suicide:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 15, 2014

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Docjowles posted:

Thirding this. There are people that, once they know something has been a problem one time ever in recorded history, declare it's the problem EVERY SINGLE TIME. They stop doing any rational troubleshooting and just punt the problem to you. It's infuriating and you'll pretty quickly learn who that person is in your company.

We call ours Cap'n Chkdsk. :v:

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Tech Industry Rule #347: Never under any circumstances ever use any technical terms around Sales or Marketing personnel. This is how the word Cloud lost any loving meaning whatsoever.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MagnumOpus posted:

Tech Industry Rule #347: Never under any circumstances ever use any technical terms around Sales or Marketing personnel. This is how the word Cloud lost any loving meaning whatsoever.

HP Offers 'That Cloud Thing Everyone Is Talking About'

Edit: It's obscure and funny only to me, but when people do the "This one time it was X so it's always X" I call them Captain Queeg.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 15, 2014

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks for all the advice guys. So far I've just been super easy break/fix stuff and remapping some database files that changed locations on our network. Loads of downtime too apparently and was outright told it was cool to study or whatever during that time!

E: tried to use Awful app over school wifi on my phone and turns out it's blocked "Category: Weapons" :jihad:

crunk dork fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 15, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Thanks for all the advice guys. So far I've just been super easy break/fix stuff and remapping some database files that changed locations on our network. Loads of downtime too apparently and was outright told it was cool to study or whatever during that time!

E: tried to use Awful app over school wifi on my phone and turns out it's blocked "Category: Weapons" :jihad:

GIP strikes again.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
TFR strikes again, GIP would be porn or what ever.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Porn and alcohol.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

myron cope posted:

I think a fun game would be "you're 3rd in the queue, I will be with you soon "

But the fun is adjusting the number to see if you can disgruntle the person but not enough so they react to it.. Or I just have a childish sense of humour.

I had an ongoing CCTV fault, there was a guy who kept going " oh windows, I have a *nix DVR that just works" every time the DVR breaks he calls and criticises windows.

I think next time he does it I will email him and his boss using phrases such as "submit a business case for my consideration " and "you are banned from raising tickets on the basis that windows is not fit for purpose as the other dozen windows based DVRs we operate are fine" as he just tries to summon me for geek chat ugh

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Saw this pop up on the patch management distribution list.

Organization hit with the HIPAA justice stick

Federal regulators are sending a powerful message about the importance of applying software patches by slapping an Alaska mental health services providers with a $150,000 HIPAA sanction.

The Department of Health and Human Services' Office for Civil Rights says Anchorage Community Mental Health Services' failure to apply software patches contributed to a 2012 malware-related breach affecting more than 2,700 individuals.

ACMHS is a five-facility, non-for-profit organization providing behavioral healthcare services to children, adults and families.

The HIPAA settlement in the Alaska case marks the first time OCR has levied a penalty tied to unpatched software, which is not specifically addressed in the HIPAA Security Rule.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Years ago I worked for a company in the pharmaceutical clinical trial industry. The privacy of medical data was taken very seriously because the federal gov't does a pretty decent job of making examples of those who drop the ball. A lot of thought and development time goes into managing the way data is de-identified, if you know what's good for you.

This is not to say I think anything one way or the other about how well the gov't is protecting your medical privacy in the objective sense. I'm only observing that in my experience companies operating in that arena tend to take the laws very, very seriously.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I work in IT for a Hospital - HIPAA is a big deal. If any change (or lack thereof) creates the remote potential for unintended disclosure of information, it is taken very seriously.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

cryme posted:

I work in IT for a Hospital

Do you have to maintain a MUMPS/M database? If so, I apologize if the acronym is a trigger for you.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

MagnumOpus posted:

Do you have to maintain a MUMPS/M database? If so, I apologize if the acronym is a trigger for you.

No, I'm actually an application analyst/report writer, and thankfully, all of our stuff is either proprietary or oracle-based.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

cryme posted:

I work in IT for a Hospital - HIPAA is a big deal. If any change (or lack thereof) creates the remote potential for unintended disclosure of information, it is taken very seriously.

Hipaa is a joke to the fortune 500 hospitals I used to work at where million dollar fines are pocket change to them. I caught doctors putting up patient records a thousand at a time to plaintext Google docs links because it was more convenient to access, no pesky passwords or audit trails. I brought it to the CEOs and they all cover up the breaches and slap the doctors on the wrist. So glad to be done with that hosed up industry. I swear it, never tell your doctor anything you wouldn't tell Google because you're a minute away from it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Now I'm scared google knows how many times a qtip has been inside my penis. gently caress

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Imagine how much more effective Google could be with people's medical record than your average hospital. Privacy concerns aside, there's data to be crunched in them thar hills.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Swink posted:

Imagine how much more effective Google could be with people's medical record than your average hospital. Privacy concerns aside, there's data to be crunched in them thar hills.

They tried and failed.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/health/about/

quote:

Google Health has been discontinued

Google Health has been permanently discontinued. All data remaining in Google Health user accounts as of January 2, 2013 has been systematically destroyed, and Google is no longer able to recover any Google Health data for any user.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Healthcare IT: not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

Now I'm scared google knows how many times a qtip has been inside my penis. gently caress

The leaks I saw were more along the lines of "so and so from address went off his meds and had a WW2 ptsd flashback and got arrested running around naked" etc. If that was your family member you'd be pissed and if it could be Googled they'd have a hard time being hired as WalMart greeter.

Edit: the main take home is when you tell poo poo to a shrink it has to go into a computer. Because insurance. That's why you should be afraid.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 16, 2014