Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Rumours are that Avengers 2 ends with a "here's the new team" and introduces a bunch of new characters.

Oh. I still think it's a stretch to include Spidey in that, but I haven't kept up with the leaks.

irlZaphod posted:

All these rumours sound really dumb, I wish they weren't doing Civil War in Cap 3.

I doubt Civil War will bear any resemblance to the comic version other than Cap maybe disagreeing with Tony on some issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That sounds like Captain America v Ironman, which would probably be even worse.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hakkesshu posted:

I doubt Civil War will bear any resemblance to the comic version other than Cap maybe disagreeing with Tony on some issue.
It seems to involve Superhero registration, based on the rumours, they want Iron Man in it and apparently Spider-Man also, so at the very least it seems like Marvel wants some sort of Cap v Iron Man with Spidey in the middle storyline.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Regarding the Spidey Avengers news and the pages are all tl,dr could someone inform me if this is to be a brand new spiderman or will it be Andrew Garfield? I hope it will be Garfield as that guy IS spiderman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Regarding the Spidey Avengers news and the pages are all tl,dr could someone inform me if this is to be a brand new spiderman or will it be Andrew Garfield? I hope it will be Garfield as that guy IS spiderman.

Garfield is out pretty much no matter what. Apparently he pissed some people off by blowing off meetings or something like that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

irlZaphod posted:

It seems to involve Superhero registration, based on the rumours, they want Iron Man in it and apparently Spider-Man also, so at the very least it seems like Marvel wants some sort of Cap v Iron Man with Spidey in the middle storyline.

Yeah Cap 3 is already stacked from the stuff they've officially announced. It revolves around governments wanting to register or use superheros as a task force going forward, Cap vs Tony happens because of this, Black Panther is also in it and they are saying that Bucky also plays a big part. And Crossbones is in it. I'm sure throwing Spidey on it as well would just go great.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Garfield is out pretty much no matter what. Apparently he pissed some people off by blowing off meetings or something like that.

He was blowing off meetings because he was saving the world as Spider-Man. If only he could tell them his secret they might understand, but he can't!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Comedy casting option: Reeve Carney.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I gotta say Kaz Hirai comes off as a lot more of an egomaniac and control freak in these leaks then I pegged him for.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

Unless they make an super powered Adventures In Babysitting starring X-23 and the Richards kids.

Oh my god, that would be AMAZING.

But they'll never have the Richards kids in the movies.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
There actually was an X-Men FF4 matchup. Mid-80's. Kitty is in a permanent phase state and is basically breaking up at the molecular level. Reed has a machine that can reverse it. Doom plants a diary entry that Sue finds that shows Reed exposed the team to the space Rays on purpose so Reed has a crisis of confidence and says he won't heal Kitty. The X-Men are pissed and they fight (I think at this point, it might be later). Doom shows up and says "I can heal your friend! Where Richards failed, Doom will succeed!" for basically ten pages. Everyone goes "agh can we trust Doom? He's our only option!" Storm agrees. Doom tries to heal her but fucks up in the middle, just in time for Reed to show up all confident again and go "No, dummy, this knob goes that way!" and save the day.

The whole time the Richards kid has foreboding dreams about Richards basically being the guy from Venture Bros and straight up murdering everyone for the greater good.

E: I'm assuming I can spoil a four shot published in the 80's. Either you've read it or you weren't going to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Unless they make an super powered Adventures In Babysitting starring X-23 and the Richards kids.

People would just accuse them of ripping off the Incredibles.

:irony:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chickenwalker posted:

He was blowing off meetings because he was saving the world as Spider-Man. If only he could tell them his secret they might understand, but he can't!

Sony Executives going all JJJ, "I WANT MEETINGS, MEETINGS WITH SPIDER-MAN!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Which is sad, he's the one part of the new films I liked.

Well, and Emma Stone.

Also, if Spidey ends up in the Avengers because of a hacker, that's going to be crazy.

...what if that hacker is DOCTOR DOOM?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Riven posted:

There actually was an X-Men FF4 matchup. Mid-80's. Kitty is in a permanent phase state and is basically breaking up at the molecular level. Reed has a machine that can reverse it. Doom plants a diary entry that Sue finds that shows Reed exposed the team to the space Rays on purpose so Reed has a crisis of confidence and says he won't heal Kitty. The X-Men are pissed and they fight (I think at this point, it might be later). Doom shows up and says "I can heal your friend! Where Richards failed, Doom will succeed!" for basically ten pages. Everyone goes "agh can we trust Doom? He's our only option!" Storm agrees. Doom tries to heal her but fucks up in the middle, just in time for Reed to show up all confident again and go "No, dummy, this knob goes that way!" and save the day.

The whole time the Richards kid has foreboding dreams about Richards basically being the guy from Venture Bros and straight up murdering everyone for the greater good.

E: I'm assuming I can spoil a four shot published in the 80's. Either you've read it or you weren't going to.

There was a pretty cool crossover in Ultimate too, but it still doesn't make sense to waste movie time on it. If it's some 5 minute cameo like Xavier and Reed consulting on some project sure, but anything plot based would be pointless.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well Rachel Summers and Franklin hook up in the future, so they have that connection!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

There is also the Namor connection, though I hear his rights are with Universal of all places?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.avclub.com/article/jon-hamm-says-he-has-turned-down-several-superhero-213022

lmao

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sony Executives going all JJJ, "I WANT MEETINGS, MEETINGS WITH SPIDER-MAN!"

Garfield! There you are, I don't know where you were hanging around and I don't care! I want you to get out there and get me Avenger's levels of money, NOW!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Honestly if they do a Spidey reboot, they should borrow from Spider-Man 2 (which still is, I maintain, one of the greatest superhero movies of all time) and tell the origin story in the opening credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSDU2tu7rpk

Granted that was technically for the previous movie, but come on, they told everything you needed to know about Spidey in 3 minutes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

greatn posted:

I gotta say Kaz Hirai comes off as a lot more of an egomaniac and control freak in these leaks then I pegged him for.

He has to deal with Amy Pascal.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly if they do a Spidey reboot, they should borrow from Spider-Man 2 (which still is, I maintain, one of the greatest superhero movies of all time) and tell the origin story in the opening credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSDU2tu7rpk

Granted that was technically for the previous movie, but come on, they told everything you needed to know about Spidey in 3 minutes.

Worked for Punisher War Zone.

The titles to Punisher War Zone (2008): http://youtu.be/o9zx-9M2iyc

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 16, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Really Fox XMen has been pretty great as a solo series and introducing them to the wider world really isn't that great an idea in my opinion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

Really Fox XMen has been pretty great as a solo series and introducing them to the wider world really isn't that great an idea in my opinion.

Especially after it's just turned itself around with First Class/DoFP. First class was surprisingly good, but Future Past did a great job of merging the "reboot" into the other films.

gfanikf posted:

Worked for Punisher War Zone.

The titles to Punisher War Zone (2008): http://youtu.be/o9zx-9M2iyc

The Marvel Studios Hulk movie did the same thing to great effect. The whole comic book movie thing where it dwells on origin stories rarely turns out well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Especially now that Fox are making solo X-Men films for non-Wolverine characters like Gambit and Deadpool.

Are they still using the Deadpool script that features Colossus as the main supporting character?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The MSJ posted:

Especially now that Fox are making solo X-Men films for non-Wolverine characters like Gambit and Deadpool.

Are they still using the Deadpool script that features Colossus as the main supporting character?

Daniel Cudmore says nobody's reached out to him, so either they're recasting or switching out the straight man character.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

StashAugustine posted:

I never liked that X-Men was contained in the same Universe as the rest of Marvel anyways. It made no sense that Mutants were persecuted with extreme hatred but super-powered people that weren't Mutants were adored as heroes. Or that anyone could even tell them apart. How could Joe Nobody know that Spider-Man and Captain America aren't Mutants? It's not like their origins are public knowledge. Heroes don't go around telling everyone they meet how they got their powers unless they're Reed Richards.

Maybe there's an arc in the comics somewhere that addresses this, and if so I'd love for someone to point me to it. But I just didn't get how in a world where Mutants are somewhat commonplace that absolutely everyone doesn't just assume every superhero and villain is a mutant and hate them all.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Esroc posted:

I never liked that X-Men was contained in the same Universe as the rest of Marvel anyways. It made no sense that Mutants were persecuted with extreme hatred but super-powered people that weren't Mutants were adored as heroes. Or that anyone could even tell them apart. How could Joe Nobody know that Spider-Man and Captain America aren't Mutants? It's not like their origins are public knowledge. Heroes don't go around telling everyone they meet how they got their powers unless they're Reed Richards.

Maybe there's an arc in the comics somewhere that addresses this, and if so I'd love for someone to point me to it. But I just didn't get how in a world where Mutants are somewhat commonplace that absolutely everyone doesn't just assume every superhero and villain is a mutant and hate them all.

The only time I remember it was addressed in a big way was House of M. Spidey not being a mutant became a public scandal.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Esroc posted:

I'm pretty sure people do hate/distrust Spider Man and Captain America's origin is public knowledge, not to mention he canonically punched Hitler in the face and is a war hero.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe if mutants try harder to punch more Hitlers, people won't hate them so much.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Nah even though Captain America punched Hitler in the face the public will still turn on him occasionally especially if they think he doesn't check Facebook or vote Republican. U.S. Agent's entire origin is conservative replacement for Cap when the public turned on him for being too liberal.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It helps that Cap precedes mutant hate by a few decades, so by being cool in humanity's book he makes the Avengers cool by association.

I'd ask the question the other way around, why didn't the X-Men or other mutant rights activists at first try and pretend that mutants are just regular superheroes? That guy with the laser eyes? Cosmic rays. Metal claws and freaky-efficient healing factor? Super-soldier serum. Can control metal? Uh, radio waves wizard.

Of course the answer is "Because they shouldn't have to!" but has this even been brought up as an option, ever?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

X-Factor originally started as the original 5 X-Men pretending to not be mutants and go around "hunting mutants" but in secret are in fact recruiting and helping them. They came to the revelation eventually that this was a horrible idea and does more bad than good. Also Ultimate Wasp was a mutant but pretended to be human that had got her powers from Hank Pym's sciencing to try and avoid discrimination.

Either way the idea of minorities pretending to be "normal" is never going to fly and rightly so.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Waterhaul posted:

X-Factor originally started as the original 5 X-Men pretending to not be mutants and go around "hunting mutants" but in secret are in fact recruiting and helping them. They came to the revelation eventually that this was a horrible idea and does more bad than good. Also Ultimate Wasp was a mutant but pretended to be human that had got her powers from Hank Pym's sciencing to try and avoid discrimination.

Either way the idea of minorities pretending to be "normal" is never going to fly and rightly so.

:doh: Don't know how I could have forgotten about X-Factor. Yeah, seems like they have sufficiently explored this idea.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I'm sure it didn't help that Magneto went around causing problems with a gang he called the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. There's also a very early issue of X-Men where Toad is in an athletics competition and he shows off, causing the crowd to turn very badly against him -- so I imagine amongst normal humans, there's bit of jealousy and hatred that the mutants can do things normal people can't just because they were born with it.

Also, which comes out first, Shazam or Captain Marvel? It'll be interesting to see if that locks in Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel for a generation of movie goers considering she's actually the fourth or fifth character who has taken that name.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Captain Marvel comes out first but DC have pretty much given up on their Captain Marvel being anything but Shazam anymore. Multiversity notwithstanding.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've mentioned before, I'd love to read a What If? type story where Professor X sent the original X-Men to join the Avengers when all the original members of that team left circa Avengers #16.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alex Ross ' s Earth X trilogy did a good job of exploring the reasons behind mutant hatred. (Such as any irrational belief can have reasons.)

Most super heroes come about as a result of accidents, acts of God. In theory YOU could become a super human. And by and large they are here to help people.

But Mutants are born that way, they are Homo- Superior. They are there to replace all of humanity. Be it after some dude with blue lips and a big A on his belt killing all humans with his robo-mummies and death period. Or the steel man who puts the a demolition company out of business. Mutants should be seen as the step needed to allow mankind to transcend to a higher way of life . Instead people see them as the guys who will just wipe them out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Maybe if mutants try harder to punch more Hitlers, people won't hate them so much.
Taskmaster knows what's up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Auritech posted:

I'm sure it didn't help that Magneto went around causing problems with a gang he called the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

See, this is where branding helps. If the X-men were instead known as "The Brotherhood of Good Mutants", then people would know right away where they stand. But "X-men"? Well that could mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Esroc posted:

How could Joe Nobody know that Spider-Man and Captain America aren't Mutants? It's not like their origins are public knowledge.
I think there are some issues of Ultimate Spider-man where some anti-mutant stuff gets pointed at him.

It doesn't make sense, though. Even for people filled with hate, there's no reason to hate people born with a condition versus people who developed it - in fact much of homophobia is centered around NOT thinking that it's innate. But yeah, it's really silly to think about old stories where sentinels were rounding up all mutants but Spider-man, who IS a mutant by normal definitions (but not Marvel, no X-gene) isn't something they care about.

• Locked thread