Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lets assume I haven't played a lot of RPGs

what are some really long RPGs that you'd recommend

any console but Wii U/PS4/XBone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

just play chronotrigger and skip most everything else.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
teh plot to Injustice is basically Irredeemable GJ DC/WB/Netherrealm

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eonwe posted:

persona 3, persona 4, smt nocturne

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE PENETRATOR posted:

teh plot to Injustice is basically Irredeemable GJ DC/WB/Netherrealm

yeah and gently caress the guy that kept lobo out of the campaign. lobo vs. superman would have been way better ending

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
lobo is too powerful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE PENETRATOR posted:

lobo is too powerful

then play lobo vs lobo because lobo is the best

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

persona 3, persona 4, smt nocturne

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do you guys think the next new big genre of games will be?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
dating sims

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The roguelike MMOBA.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

J-Spot posted:

Amazon has Assassin's Creed: Unity on sale for 50% off today. Apart from the fact that the game is only a month old what's interesting is if you go to the listing there is a "product update" on the page advertising the fact that there are patches available to improve the game's performance. I don't think I've ever noticed anything like that on the site before. The bad press around Unity must have hurt that game pretty bad if they feel the need to pretty much tell people that it's not as bad as it was when all those one star review were added.

This year has been kind of amazing in that big-budget games have bigger budgets than ever before yet are somehow also performing worse. Halo Master Chief Collection shipped without an online mode, Assassin's Creed Unity was so hosed that they gave everyone the first DLC for free to apologize, Drive Club reneged on the entire "free for PSN members" deal, Destiny shipped with like half a game's worth of content...I really hope that this is just growing pains from everybody adjusting to the new consoles and their shifting strategies (RIP Harmonix and Double Fine for gambling on the Kinect and losing) rather than a sign of things to come.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

euphronius posted:

It hasn't been invented yet but I am calling Third-Person as the genre to watch.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

euphronius posted:

I have no idea but you can be sure as poo poo it will have zombies in it.

even this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

4th person zombie rogue like moba

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
mobas and roguelikes are definitely motioning to become "the next big thing" as damage numbers and health bars have all but been exhausted from rpgs/action games now

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the better question is what the next big buzzword will be. I'm thinking "verticality" is probably due.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

chumbler posted:

I think the better question is what the next big buzzword will be. I'm thinking "verticality" is probably due.

"Procedural generation"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
ball-jiggle physics

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
tasteful homosexual relationships

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

4th person zombie rogue like moba

gotta be a mmo also

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

tasteful homosexual relationships

It became science fiction at 'tasteful'.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
mobas are just mmos for short casuals

you got the levels, the gear, the drama, raiding, and the pvp

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

not really the next big thing so much as a continuing trend but i expect way more videogames attempting to tackle themes that far exceed their staffs' writing abilities

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Third World Reggin posted:

mobas are just mmos for short casuals

you got the levels, the gear, the drama, raiding, and the pvp

i actually want to play mobas cause i like arpgs and poo poo but hate grinding

but then it's competitive and obtuse and full of shitheads

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So who was it who wanted a game like far cry where you hunt dinosaurs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlxF28rLnjo

Also can you please want me to become super rich because you might have magic powers, tia.

tyrannosaurus rekt :allears:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 16, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Eonwe posted:

Ignore me if this was a troll -- I'm not sure what your standard of "really long" is. I originally started a big :spergin: reply, but rather than that, questions!

* What do you like in an RPG? Do you like western-style (I make a character into whatever I want, it's an open and only partially-plotted world) or Japanese-style (It's a big pre-scripted storyline that I just work my way through)? Do you mind a bit of action segments mixed in with it?

* Are there any platforms that you don't want? (i.e. do you have the patience for NES-era RPGs with poo poo graphics/interfaces, as long as it's fun?) Is PC okay?

* What's your idea of minimum length? Is it okay if it's a really good RPG, but can be burned through in a weekend (10-16 hours)?

StashAugustine posted:

but then it's competitive and obtuse and full of shitheads

Says the SA poster

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

there were two bookworm adventure games turned into rpgs released on steam like a week apart, so probably that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No it honestly wasn't a troll. I've actually played a reasonable amount of RPGs, but I've probably missed out on a lot of them. Western or Eastern are ok, any consoles except the new console Gen, PC is actually preferred. Sure, any length really is fine but I was wanting to take a week vacation or something and just waste it playing RPGs. I've got holiday time I have to use or I lose it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
For Western RPGs from the last few years I recommend Shadowrun Dragonfall, Witcher 2, Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, and South Park (If you've ever found it funny)

For JRPGs I recommend Nier and Persona 4.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Eonwe posted:

No it honestly wasn't a troll. I've actually played a reasonable amount of RPGs, but I've probably missed out on a lot of them. Western or Eastern are ok, any consoles except the new console Gen, PC is actually preferred. Sure, any length really is fine but I was wanting to take a week vacation or something and just waste it playing RPGs. I've got holiday time I have to use or I lose it.

On the relatively recent console side:
* Lost Odyssey (2008, Xbox360) -- freaking huge, four discs plus DLC.
* The Last Story (2012, Wii)
* Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4 (2008, PS2; recently rereleased on PSN)
* Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (2013, PS3)
* Fire Emblem: Awakening (2013, 3DS)

(It should be mentioned that Lost Odyssey is basically a Final Fantasy game by a different name -- plot by Hironobu Sakaguchi, music by Nobuo Uematsu. If you're cool with that, there is an absurd amount of content in this game, both the main plot and a bunch of side stories and optional quests.)

On the PC side, there's the usual list of well-known RPGs that have come out in the last 5-10 years, most of which are Western RPGs:
* The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (and TES:Oblivion if you haven't played that)
* Fallout: New Vegas (and Fallout 3 if you haven't played that)
* Divinity: Original Sin
* Witcher 1/2
* Mass Effect 1/2 (fml, where are you, ME3 PC)
* Dark Souls 1/2
* Dragon Age: Origins (but only the first one, gently caress all other DAs to date)

Some runner-ups on the PC:
* Shadowrun:Dragonfall is excellent, but may be a little short for a week.
* South Park: The Stick of Truth will last you 2-3 days; it's absurdly funny if you like South Park, and will bore you if you don't.
* Wasteland 2 is supposed to be absurdly good, but I haven't started it yet, so I can't comment as to its length.
* Deus Ex: Human Revolution -- this is arguable as to whether it's a FPS, an RPG, or both, but it's certainly worthwhile if you haven't already played it.

You might want to try looking at JRPGs for older consoles as well -- they're usually pretty long, although they tend to achieve that through a bunch of combat padding instead of plot. Namely:

* Earthbound (SNES) is good if you haven't already played it. The setting is quirky and it takes a while to gain steam, but it's pretty amusing.
* If you haven't done any of the older Final Fantasy games, they're worth playing. Most of them have a decent modern remake -- and, sadly, some of them have really crappy modern remakes as well. The PSP ports of FF1, FF2, and FF4 are excellent; they put in new sprites and better translations, but leave the core gameplay intact. (In contrast, the DS ports of these games are basically complete remakes with 3D content and new game mechanics, and it doesn't quite do so well.) Likewise, the GBA port of FF5 is pretty solid.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 16, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Excellent list, really appreciate that a lot

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, and just for sake of an example, this is what FF4 looks like on the PSP.

It stays pretty close to the original game in visual style, while giving it a substantial overhaul.

For comparison, the DS and iOS ports make it look like a late-90s Playstation1 game:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The PSP version of 4 also includes the After Years.

The DS remake is still real good though and its available on Steam now, so its up to you.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 16, 2014

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii is like 60+ hours and it's really good. Just try not to do every single side quest or you'll go insane.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ullerrm posted:

* Dragon Age: Origins (but only the first one, gently caress all other DAs to date)

Inquisition is pretty fun. And I hated DA2 with a passion.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

The PSP version of 4 also includes the After Years.

Yeah, but After Years is terrible :\ The writing is pretty sub-par, and it drags on and on and on.

Plus, it's one of the few FF games that strictly requires you to minmax. The final boss involves every character of the cast, some of which you only get to control for the duration of a single sub-story. If you don't powerlevel them while you have them, you'll get to the final boss, be forced to use them when they're relatively weak, and have almost no chance of beating it.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii is like 60+ hours and it's really good. Just try not to do every single side quest or you'll go insane.

This is a good suggestion too. With one catch: It's hard to find. It was one of the last games to come out for the Wii and was printed in relatively small numbers; they did a reprint, but it's still hard to find. A year after release, it was over $100 on eBay; looks like the reprint's knocked that down to the $50-60 range.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 16, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As far as RPGs go, I'm going to go ahead and recommend Divinity 2: Director's Cut over Original Sin.

I wasn't a huge fan of the turn-based combat, and in Divinity 2 you can literally turn into a dragon, read people's minds, and get seduced by sentient chests.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Inquisition is pretty fun. And I hated DA2 with a passion.

Inquisition is basically Skyrim with good combat and a story and good NPCS

I guess it's like Grand Theft Dragon or something. Also it has a tastefully handled F2M Transgender dude that kind of owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hog Inspector posted:

not really the next big thing so much as a continuing trend but i expect way more videogames attempting to tackle themes that far exceed their staffs' writing abilities

well seeing as bioshock infinite got praised for its embarrassingly awful story I can see that

• Locked thread