Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

This has already been addressed - it's actually a big plus for him to take the Michigan job while under contract with the 49ers, as San Francisco only gets out of the contract by him going to another NFL team. If Harbaugh leaves San Francisco for anything other than an NFL team - college, high school, flag football - the 49ers still have to pay him the full amount of the contract.

Harbaugh, with a Michigan contract, gets paid by both MIchigan AND San Francisco in 2015.

Something tells me not showing up to work when you are still an employee is reason for a contract to be voided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Ungratek posted:

Something tells me not showing up to work when you are still an employee is reason for a contract to be voided

It does seem like a breach of contract to not fulfill any of the terms of the contract.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's only breach of contract if he goes to another NFL team.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

My sources tell me that you don't know how contracts work

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

AsInHowe posted:

He can't just walk out of the job and still get the money. I could see this clause being about him getting the remainder if they fire him, which is fairly standard. I can't believe that the contract allows him to quit and keep getting paid, even he just spent the time doing blow on a golf course in Hawaii.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

AsInHowe posted:

If he stops showing up and coaching the Niners for the last month of the season to recruit then that would be bad

It would also be bad if he was hired and then Michigan had to wait for the Niners to release him from his contract

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Glumslinger posted:

He can't just walk out of the job and still get the money. I could see this clause being about him getting the remainder if they fire him, which is fairly standard. I can't believe that the contract allows him to quit and keep getting paid, even he just spent the time doing blow on a golf course in Hawaii.

It's if/when they fire him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

It's if/when they fire him.

I'd be shocked if they actually flat-out fired him. They have the leverage in this situation; plenty of NFL teams looking for a new coach next year, and if he really wants the Michigan job that bad, he'd resign and they'd be off the hook.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Harbaugh is obviously going to take the Michigan job without quitting the 49ers and coach both teams next year.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'd be shocked if they actually flat-out fired him. They have the leverage in this situation; plenty of NFL teams looking for a new coach next year, and if he really wants the Michigan job that bad, he'd resign and they'd be off the hook.

If the 49ers don't fire him, Harbaugh's going to get that extra money from Michigan somewhere. He might get paid $4 million a week for the last two weeks of the year, hypothetically.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

If he stops showing up and coaching the Niners for the last month of the season to recruit then that would be bad

It would also be bad if he was hired and then Michigan had to wait for the Niners to release him from his contract

It's not just for the last month of the season, he's under contract for next season as well.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's so cool that the folks here at MGoBlog and SomethingAwful.Com have scooped every major news outlet on this story. Also that AsInHowe is privy to all of Jim Harbaugh's post-game texts (obviously the only time he uses his batphone.)

It's not like some guy on Mbgoblog made it up. It was linked from some area blogs that are run by people vaguely near being reporters.

People like that pretty often are right (and more often disastrously wrong) about this poo poo, the text thing came from them also, not some random person.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Guys, the shut in who attempted to fight a a kid at an indoor soccer game and then used it to show how Frank Clark really isn't That Bad A Guy says Jim Harbaugh is a done deal so if could all listen to him that would be great

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

AsInHowe posted:

Okay...

While Harbaugh accepting the Head Coaching job at the University of Michigan may not be specifically enumerated within his NFL contract as constituting a breach of his contract with the 49ers, at its heart the contract between Harbaugh and the 49ers is simple: You get money in exchange for coaching the 49ers.

If the 49ers stopped paying Harbaugh, they would be in breach of contract.

If Harbaugh stops coaching the 49ers, he would be in breach of contract.

The only way this might actually work legally (and it wouldn't) is if he literally attempted to coach both teams which would be hilarious and I hope it happens.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It's not like some guy on Mbgoblog made it up. It was linked from some area blogs that are run by people vaguely near being reporters.

People like that pretty often are right (and more often disastrously wrong) about this poo poo, the text thing came from them also, not some random person.

:laugh:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nimmy posted:

The only way this might actually work legally (and it wouldn't) is if he literally attempted to coach both teams which would be hilarious and I hope it happens.

This seems like the kind of thing that could have happened in the early days of football. I bet there's some 1920s NFL team that no longer exists that was coached by someone who coached at a local college that's now in division 3 at the same time.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Guys, the shut in who attempted to fight a a kid at an indoor soccer game and then used it to show how Frank Clark really isn't That Bad A Guy says Jim Harbaugh is a done deal so if could all listen to him that would be great
Except he's said nothing of the sort about it being a sure thing?

I really hope Harbaugh does go to Michigan so I can see your backtracking about well just because the geek blogger said it was possible didnt mean he ACTUALLY had any real information because really what football insiders would ever actually be talking to a autist nerd blah blah

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Linguica posted:

I really hope Harbaugh does go to Michigan so I can see your backtracking about well just because the geek blogger said it was possible didnt mean he ACTUALLY had any real information because really what football insiders would ever actually be talking to a autist nerd blah blah

If it were such a done deal and apparently so many people knew about, you can bet your rear end one of the major news rings would have sniffed it out and already started talking about it, relentlessly.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Linguica posted:

I've already said it is certainly a possibility, just that it is anything but far from a certain deal, especially since the guy who posts here has INSIDE SCOOPS and has been wrong before.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
All you have to do is look at some posts where his SOURCES told him Nussmeier was going to be the interim head coach, and then when he was proved wrong went "oh well things change when you aren't making a bowl game" despite the fact that his dumb loving "sourced" prediction post-dated when they were even ineligible for a bowl game.

Again, I don't have a problem with people wanting and speculating. I do have a problem when people go OH NO I HAVE THESE INSIDE SOURCES THAT SOMEHOW NOBODY ELSE DOES because either they're lying or they're dumb as a loving brick and in AsInHowe's case I'm really not sure which it is because he's a compulsive liar and he's also the dumbest motherfucker to ever be born in the United States of America.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

All you have to do is look at some posts where his SOURCES told him Nussmeier was going to be the interim head coach, and then when he was proved wrong went "oh well things change when you aren't making a bowl game" despite the fact that his dumb loving "sourced" prediction post-dated when they were even ineligible for a bowl game.

Again, I don't have a problem with people wanting and speculating. I do have a problem when people go OH NO I HAVE THESE INSIDE SOURCES THAT SOMEHOW NOBODY ELSE DOES because either they're lying or they're dumb as a loving brick and in AsInHowe's case I'm really not sure which it is because he's a compulsive liar and he's also the dumbest motherfucker to ever be born in the United States of America.

Calmer than you

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's never said that. Or anything remotely like that. He's just said that it wasn't completely off the table (as your best buds at FootballScoops reported), and that, from what he heard (and as angry as this makes you for some reason, he actually does have people close to the program who talk to him) a lot of people within the program thought Michigan had a good shot at getting him. He always was clear to point out that other people said otherwise. He was hardly the only person saying it was possible and now it's starting to look like it's actually going to happen so I don't even know how you're still trying to say he was wrong. He never said "it's definitely happening" he just said "there is a decent chance it's happens and people saying otherwise are obviously wrong based on how everyone is behaving". Brian is a dweeb with weird opinions, but he's not just a random blogger it's pretty clear you didn't actual read anything he wrote about this story.

You are seriously mad about this whole deal for no good reason.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Calmer than you

He's also probably much more sober than I am

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Man, that was really fast.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Schembechler Hall claims another scalp...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

Man, that was really fast.

Six hour ones go through without admin approval and I happened to be reading the thread at the time.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Calmer than you

I also love a good callback.

And you.

Edit: Brian is a weird guy, but one thing he also is is pretty transparent about his sources. He protects anonymity, but by his own admission he basically posts everything he hears with a caveat that the source is reliable or less reliable as the case may be. He also very rarely makes a definitive statement, as he learned when he claimed that Michigan absolutely would NOT hire Brady Hoke, because his record did not impress anyone. He looked very stupid about that and has changed what he does ever since.

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 16, 2014

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
My sources tell me the University of Michigan hire is going up on Tuesday. Got your coach on a new contract and they're choosay.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
The guy is just a huge spaz and possibly mentally ill.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Calmer than you

Aaaaand Andi ties the whole thing back to what really matters. Thank you sir

RIP Dogg

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pakled posted:

This seems like the kind of thing that could have happened in the early days of football. I bet there's some 1920s NFL team that no longer exists that was coached by someone who coached at a local college that's now in division 3 at the same time.

Back in 1919, Penn State's head coach was also the Pirates manager.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jeff Moss' big reveal this morning was that Jim Brandstatter, former player and current radio announcer, was the guy who turned big positive on Harbaugh yesterday.

I guess he qualifies as an insider.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Sash! posted:

Back in 1919, Penn State's head coach was also the Pirates manager.

A little different but Reg Dunlap did one hell of a job as the coach/player of the Charlestown Chiefs. I guess it did take relinquishing GM duties for him to get really successful though. Tough to do two jobs imo

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deteriorata posted:

Jeff Moss' big reveal this morning was that Jim Brandstatter, former player and current radio announcer, was the guy who turned big positive on Harbaugh yesterday.

I guess he qualifies as an insider.

Brandy is the most insider-y of insiders to Michigan football, with his resume in Ann Arbor. The real takeaway here is that the "Harbaugh is coming" word has spread beyond the original group of guys, guys who played with Jim at Michigan or knew Jim personally at Michigan. Once it goes to that next level of "all the alums know", things are getting closer.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If it were such a done deal and apparently so many people knew about, you can bet your rear end one of the major news rings would have sniffed it out and already started talking about it, relentlessly.

Major news sources don't report on news that Michigan doesn't want to get out, unless the old coach doesn't like the new coach, in which case, SCANDAL.

Major news sources know where their access comes from. The ones reporting on it now don't really give a drat.

Pakled posted:

When Michigan hired Fielding Yost away from Stanford, Yost didn't just coach the Stanford team. He also coached the JV team, a team from San Jose Teachers College, and a local high school team. It's not NFL, but it is four teams at once.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 16, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Major news sources don't report on news that Michigan doesn't want to get out, unless the old coach doesn't like the new coach, in which case, SCANDAL.

Major news sources know where their access comes from. The ones reporting on it now don't really give a drat.

:allears: You do know that no one at ESPN gives a gently caress about their "access" right?

Oh no, you don't because you've wrapped yourself in such a Gordian knot about this dumb poo poo. Like you're literally just making up poo poo as you go and claiming to know some well heeled boosters as your only viable proof. When you've got some concrete evidence beyond "a couple guys on the internet who make their entire living off page views" says, please come let us all know.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 16, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:allears: You do know that no one at ESPN gives a gently caress about their "access" right?

You do realize that a lot of ESPN's reporting is finding something someone else posted online, then rewriting the story with the headline of "Sources:_________", right?

ESPN isn't going to be the one to break something like this, whether it's Michigan or otherwise.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh no, you don't because you've wrapped yourself in such a Gordian knot about this dumb poo poo. Like you're literally just making up poo poo as you go and claiming to know some well heeled boosters as your only viable proof. When you've got some concrete evidence beyond "a couple guys on the internet who make their entire living off page views" says, please come let us all know.

The worst part is that if Harbaugh does turn out to be the coach he's going to take it as some sort of validation.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

You do realize that a lot of ESPN's reporting is finding something someone else posted online, then rewriting the story with the headline of "Sources:_________", right?

ESPN isn't going to be the one to break something like this, whether it's Michigan or otherwise.

OKay then big boy. Your dad works at Nintendo, we get it.

wheez the roux posted:

The worst part is that if Harbaugh does turn out to be the coach he's going to take it as some sort of validation.

Like I don't think its completely out of the realm of possibility that he's going to be their next head coach, I mean anything is possible; but I what I find hysterical is that he's claiming its a "done deal." If it were a done deal, it would already be announced. There's literally no reason to sit on it at that point.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 16, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My sources aren't boosters, I'll put it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
AsInHowe's sources are rock solid

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685167&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post438537385

• Locked thread