Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What's more bizarre than Livejournal still existing is that Deadjournal is also extant.

And Vampire Freaks as well.

Nothing quite says "gently caress the mainstream" like having a Christmas sale :allears:

I've never heard of this site, lets google it:

Wikipedia posted:

VampireFreaks, much like other social network sites MySpace and Facebook, has been potentially linked to several crimes:

A triple homicide in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. A 12-year-old girl and her 23-year-old boyfriend, whom she communicated with on VampireFreaks.com, were charged in the murders.[6]

Two Toronto men were charged with carrying out the bidding of a woman they met on the site by stabbing a 12-year-old boy 73 times, killing him, and drinking his blood[7]

The site has been linked to an arson in Minnesota and the rape of two underage women in New York[8] and Texas.[9]

In Australia, a 50-year-old man and his 19-year-old son are accused of using VampireFreaks.com to create fictitious characters to meet Carly Ryan, 15. The father travelled to Adelaide in January 2007 for the girl's 15th birthday. Carly was drowned and was found floating in the water at Port Elliot on South Australia's south coast a month later. The two men, who cannot be identified, have denied murdering the teenager.[10]

On January 21, 2010, a 50-year-old man from Victoria was found guilty of the murder of Carly Ryan. His son was found not guilty and has since returned to Victoria.[11]

In December 2007, in California, a 13-year-old girl posing as an adult met with a 23-year-old man on VampireFreaks.com. When it was found out they met in real life, he was arrested and found with photos of them kissing. The jury had reasonable doubt however, and the man was found not guilty on two of the charges.[12]

Jet has responded to some of this controversy, saying that the website does not influence its users to commit crimes and that "The goth scene is a very friendly, nurturing, non-violent community and we are very supportive of our users and do not condone any illegal activities" [13] [14]

lol, worse than goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Other than Storm of Swords what are the other two novels?

Fevre Dream has got to be one of those.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't think it's controversial to say the first three ASoIaF novels are better than the run-of-the-mill fantasy novels most people read. When you come off a Drizzt bender, it's like a loving glass of ice water after wandering the desert.

Thanks for the Vampire Freaks infodump, Hogge. Good to know it's a healthy, safe environment :allears:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
look it's not a Medicine Hat just because you put mercury in it

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

kaworu posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to attempt to listen to the ASoIaF books on "tape" (well, I'm trying for the first three books at least, we'll see how bored I get how fast) as I'm going to be doing some work soon wherein this would probably help pass some time. I've only truly read the books through once, other than that I've just skipped around and re-read certain chapters or sections, so I'm actually a little excited since I'm sure I missed lots of revolting passages and details.

The most common version seems to be the ones read by Roy Dotrice, at least, that's what's on Audibleit *seems*, and he's read every book though he sounds considerably more quavery in the sample from ADWD. This Roy Avers fellow also seems to have recorded versions of AGoT and ASOS, but none of the other books, and it seems like there were several recordings of AFFC made before Dotrice recorded a version. He seems fairly beloved so I guess I'll go with him unless you guys strongly tell me that Avers is much better. Dotrice seems to be to do thick regional British dialects, at least, and those are fun to hear.

I childishly wish there was an Iain Glen recording of the whole series - I listened to his recording of "The Princess and the Queen", and it was just freaking outstanding. I could listen to that guy read the phone book.

edit: Thinkin' I'm going to stick with Dotrice. His are the most easily available and he's narrated all 5 books (and seems to be the only one who narrated books 2 and 5) and continuity is always nice as long as the narrator is doing a good job. Out of curiosity, was the Avers one recorded first, or for the American release, or something else? God help me I don't think I could stand to actually *listen* to ADWD, though. Insert your joke about a distinguished Shakespearean actor reading "sunset found her squatting in the grass..." joke here.

Roy Dotrice owns, but yeah you can start to hear his age catching up to him in books 4 and 5. I believe he actually recorded those books around the same time, since when AFFC was originally released he wasn't available to do the audiobook, but went back around ADWD and recorded it due to demand or whatever.

Still though, even though he's not nearly as good in books 4-5 as he was in the first three, they are still a great listen. And books 1-3 are some of my favorite audiobook performances of all time. He isn't for everyone, though. Some people seem to loving hate his voices, I absolutely love them. Except, again, in the latter two books he starts to change voices he had established already like Dany, from a normal sounding voice to an old irish crone or some poo poo. But can you blame the poor bastard when there are like 15 loving years between books? Plus he's like 90. Not bad for a 90 year old. It's a shame that GRRM taking forever to write means Roy will never make it to finish the series. Hell, he's probably too old now to handle it let alone a mythical 2016-17 winds release date (lol).

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 15, 2014

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Damo posted:

Roy Dotrice owns, but yeah you can start to hear his age catching up to him in books 4 and 5. I believe he actually recorded those books around the same time, since when AFFC was originally released he wasn't available to do the audiobook, but went back around ADWD and recorded it due to demand or whatever.

Still though, even though he's not nearly as good in books 4-5 as he was in the first three, they are still a great listen. And books 1-3 are some of my favorite audiobook performances of all time. He isn't for everyone, though. Some people seem to loving hate his voices, I absolutely love them. Except, again, in the latter two books he starts to change voices he had established already like Dany, from a normal sounding voice to an old irish crone or some poo poo. But can you blame the poor bastard when there are like 15 loving years between books? Plus he's like 90. Not bad for a 90 year old. It's a shame that GRRM taking forever to write means Roy will never make it to finish the series. Hell, he's probably too old now to handle it let alone a mythical 2016-17 winds release date (lol).

Agree. His readings of books 1-3 are outstanding but I could not stand him at all in book 4 and quit listening there. There's a very subtle but fundamental change in his reading that you'll instantly catch and it's a constant distraction from the story. He makes Arya/Dany sound like some old hag.

His only misstep in books 1-3, from what I could tell, was Davos in ACOK. In the prologue, he voices Davos as some gruff commoner--almost like he would voice a minor, forgettable character. He changes it, though, and throughout the rest of the book Davos' voice is great.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I loved the first three books read by Roy Dotrice. After that, well, i still enjoy them, but they're definitely not as good.

I listened to AFFC read by that other dude before Roy went back and did it, and I hated him, for what it's worth.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Yeah, as much as you can poo poo on Roy's book 4 and 5 he's way better than the other dude.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

OK, cool. I'm really only planning on listening to the first three books at the moment, given that it'll probably take me a *long* time to get through just those, but I love hearing books read aloud especially when I'm going to sleep, as chilidish as that sounds. But it's good to know that Dotrice is the one to at least stay consistent, and consistency is important. I've always loved books being read aloud though - especially fantasy books - ever since I was a kid. It's like comfort food. You just close your eyes and imagine, and lie in the dark until you fall asleep without meaning to - it feels wonderfully low-tech. Only hard part is figuring out later at what point in the book you fell asleep!

Also, for my own experience with GRRM-narrated stories, I really cannot recommend listening to Iain Glen narrate the two most recent GRRM short stories - "The Princess and the Queen" and "The Rogue Prince". He does a really fantastic job with both, the former in particular which is a more longer and complete story, though the two kind of go together. Without having hard Dotrice, I can say honestly that I would be *thrilled* if Glen winds up narrating TWOW, and I imagine the fanbase would be too.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 15, 2014

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

kaworu posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to attempt to listen to the ASoIaF books on "tape" (well, I'm trying for the first three books at least, we'll see how bored I get how fast) as I'm going to be doing some work soon wherein this would probably help pass some time. I've only truly read the books through once, other than that I've just skipped around and re-read certain chapters or sections, so I'm actually a little excited since I'm sure I missed lots of revolting passages and details.

The most common version seems to be the ones read by Roy Dotrice, at least, that's what's on Audibleit *seems*, and he's read every book though he sounds considerably more quavery in the sample from ADWD. This Roy Avers fellow also seems to have recorded versions of AGoT and ASOS, but none of the other books, and it seems like there were several recordings of AFFC made before Dotrice recorded a version. He seems fairly beloved so I guess I'll go with him unless you guys strongly tell me that Avers is much better. Dotrice seems to be to do thick regional British dialects, at least, and those are fun to hear.

I childishly wish there was an Iain Glen recording of the whole series - I listened to his recording of "The Princess and the Queen", and it was just freaking outstanding. I could listen to that guy read the phone book.

edit: Thinkin' I'm going to stick with Dotrice. His are the most easily available and he's narrated all 5 books (and seems to be the only one who narrated books 2 and 5) and continuity is always nice as long as the narrator is doing a good job. Out of curiosity, was the Avers one recorded first, or for the American release, or something else? God help me I don't think I could stand to actually *listen* to ADWD, though. Insert your joke about a distinguished Shakespearean actor reading "sunset found her squatting in the grass..." joke here.

Do people actually listen to books on tape whitout doing something else like driving or playing video games? This is a serious question. My brain goes so much faster than an old guy reading the book.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Fragmented posted:

Do people actually listen to books on tape whitout doing something else like driving or playing video games? This is a serious question. My brain goes so much faster than an old guy reading the book.

I've accepted that it's something I won't understand. I get wanting to listen while you do something else, but I can't absorb anything that way, my mind will just focus on whatever it is I'm doing and zone out the audio. I guess it might work when running but I'm skeptical. I guess I learn and absorb information much better visually in general.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The only way I could ever listen to a book on tape is while driving.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Dotrice is better than the other guy. Except a. Tyrion has somehow become the lucky charms leprechaun, and b. all his female voices are terrible. He's got a really pleasant to listen to voice. I wish he would have just acted the characters' emotions rather than trying to give them all "character voices."

Also, his performance as the batshit crazy pyromancer was wonderful. Wish he could have been Pycelle as planned.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Fragmented posted:

I certainly can't - except when I'm listening to them as I try to fall asleep in bed, like I said, and in that case it's also because my brain just practically always needs some sort of stimuli, even when it's turning itself off. Driving is obviously a great way to listen to them, because I've found it also makes what would otherwise be long and boring drives into something fun; you know you've found a good book to listen to when you start to really look forward to having uninterrupted stretches of time driving by yourself, for whatever reason.

But yeah, I'll also listen to them while playing video games sometimes - although it needs to be the sort of video game that you can play with the sound off, and that's a bit more on the mindless side. Like, I wouldn't play Hearthstone and listen to a book on tape. But games in the vein of Minecraft/Terraria, or repetitive Diablo 3-type RPGs, or any classic puzzle-type game? Those are all great and some of them I literally play because it's just something to do while listening to a book on tape.

But the best video game to play while listening to an audiobook? Euro Truck Simulator 2 :q: No joke! It's a really fantastically awesome game that I got for like $2 during some Steam sale, and the game is very realistic and plays exactly how it sounds, you're basically just driving a truck from point A to point B through various parts of Europe, making money, upgrading your truck... It would feel sillier if it wasn't such a great game anyway.

Anyway, I'm a few chapters into GoT already and already enjoying it and enjoying new things. It's always a new experience for me to listen to a book rather than read it, because I honestly take in a lot more and pick up on things that I may have been reading too quickly to properly process or think about on my first read-through.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 15, 2014

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

kaworu posted:

But the best video game to play while listening to an audiobook? Euro Truck Simulator 2 :q: No joke! It's a really fantastically awesome game that I got for like $2 during some Steam sale, and the game is very realistic and plays exactly how it sounds, you're basically just driving a truck from point A to point B through various parts of Europe, making money, upgrading your truck... It would feel sillier if it wasn't such a great game anyway.

Please tell me you are german. I can't picture any non-german playing those games.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Fragmented posted:

No, but I get so much stuff done while listening. Or, I get a lot of "reading" done while doing other things. Going for a walk, on the bus, doing housework, knitting, cooking dinner, while I'm falling asleep. Having something to occupy my mind while doing mundane things is awesome. I could never have time to read as many books if I didn't have an audible sub.

Edit: Also I now need to try Euro Truck Simulator.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 16, 2014

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

kcroy posted:

Please tell me you are german. I can't picture any non-german playing those games.

"A sturdy creature, fond of drink and industry"

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Haha, I'm actually not German, though I can understand the assumptions! I normally can't stand boring simulation games or the impulse to play them; Euro Truck Simulator 2 (make sure it's the second one) is like a very rare exception to the rule; it's one of those games I thought would sit in my Steam Library unplayed forever but it turned out to be one of my favorites. It's just a really fun and well made game that (at least with Audiobooks) never really gets that boring.

The game is really simple - you star as a fledgling trucker, running cargo from one place to another - attempting to drive well and follow the rules of the road while going as fast as you can (since the faster you get it there the more money you make) without damaging the truck and cargo. And there *are* traffic cams in this game and you *will* get fines in the mail for moving violations! It's truly hyper-realistic in a pretty amusing way. The game's actually quite well-rendered graphics-wise and runs very smooth; driving through Europe on a big-rear end truck is obviously much more fun and challenging than the same sort of game set in North America would, given the huge range of scenery and all the crazy mountain roads, etc - I like driving through Switzerland. It's way more well regarded than the vast majority of similar-looking simulations that appear (and usually are) absurdly boring.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 16, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'd totally pre-order Playing Video Games Simulator 2015.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Lycus posted:

Hey, this game is basically Skyrim, except with trucks. I'm surprised there isn't a Game of Thrones mod where someone modded the map and you move various goods through Westeros instead of Europe. There probably has been!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

kaworu posted:

Hey, this game is basically Skyrim, except with trucks. I'm surprised there isn't a Game of Thrones mod where someone modded the map and you move various goods through Westeros instead of Europe. There probably has been!

"Brienne's Journey" A real time walking simulator lets you live out Brienne's exciting quest to locate a "girl of three and ten!". Travel from City to Towne to other City in this expanded and ultra realistic 3D version of Westeros. With your trusty companion Pod at your side, you will:

-Walk
-Forage
-Make a Fire
-Sleep
-Meet exciting travelers like yourself and glare at them, including:
--Nimble Dick Crabb
--Barefoot Priest
--Lost Soldiers of Wars long past
--Not Sansa

All in REAL TIME!

Your Journey starts in Kings Landing, and will take you almost the whole way to Saltpans, across the wonderful world of Westeros.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Coming soon*: The Lady Stoneheart DLC

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

kaworu posted:

Hey, this game is basically Skyrim, except with trucks.

"You chose a poor time to return home, kinsman. Ulfric Kenworth raises his banners in the northwest, outraged over Freightliner bowing to pressure from the Caterpillar Dominion."

*a gigantic truck swoops down from the highway and lays waste to the Flying J truck stop the player is at*

"By Diesel's grace, a Volvo! I thought they were extinct!"

*the player takes down a different Volvo, and learns he possesses the ability to Honk*

"You are Truckborn! It is your destiny to slay Dekotora, the World-Eater, and save all of Switzerland!"

FUS RO DAH

FUS RO DAH

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Lycus posted:

http://www.theonion.com/video/warcraft-sequel-lets-gamers-play-a-character-playi,14240/

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lycus posted:

I'd totally watch the LP.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TequilaJesus posted:

Playing a game implies some sort of effort.

GRRM: The only winning move is not to play.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

*the player takes down a different Volvo, and learns he possesses the ability to Honk*

"You are Truckborn! It is your destiny to slay Dekotora, the World-Eater, and save all of Switzerland!"

This is good and funny and I am inclined to think favorably of you.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Traxus IV posted:

This is good and funny and I am inclined to think favorably of you.

But which side will I choose in the civil war between Peterbilt and Brattain?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

"You chose a poor time to return home, kinsman. Ulfric Kenworth raises his banners in the northwest, outraged over Freightliner bowing to pressure from the Caterpillar Dominion."

*a gigantic truck swoops down from the highway and lays waste to the Flying J truck stop the player is at*

FUS RO DAH

FUS RO DAH

This was really loving funny gj

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FUS RO DAH

FUS RO DAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNaTZV8qS1I

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It's really, really embarrassing but I think I'm the last person on the interwebs who hasn't played so much as a minute of Skyrim. Which is pretty absurd since it basically looks like ASoIaF-type fantasy in an massive open-world game. And it's even single-player, which is fantastic since I really dislike multiplayer open-world RPGs for my own anti-social reasons - with a game like that I want to get lost in it like a playable interactive story and take it all at my own pace. Further, I even *have* the drat game on Steam. Installed. I just know that if I start playing it I will probably really like it, and it'll turn into a massive time-hole that drains everything else for god knows how many weeks. The idea of combining something that feels a bit like a first-person action game in a massive open fantasy realm sounds dangerously, dangerously addictive if done well. But the fact that I haven't played it is utterly nonsensical, really.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

kaworu posted:

It's really, really embarrassing but I think I'm the last person on the interwebs who hasn't played so much as a minute of Skyrim. Which is pretty absurd since it basically looks like ASoIaF-type fantasy in an massive open-world game. And it's even single-player, which is fantastic since I really dislike multiplayer open-world RPGs for my own anti-social reasons - with a game like that I want to get lost in it like a playable interactive story and take it all at my own pace. Further, I even *have* the drat game on Steam. Installed. I just know that if I start playing it I will probably really like it, and it'll turn into a massive time-hole that drains everything else for god knows how many weeks. The idea of combining something that feels a bit like a first-person action game in a massive open fantasy realm sounds dangerously, dangerously addictive if done well. But the fact that I haven't played it is utterly nonsensical, really.

Morrowind is much better.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

kaworu posted:

It's really, really embarrassing but I think I'm the last person on the interwebs who hasn't played so much as a minute of Skyrim. Which is pretty absurd since it basically looks like ASoIaF-type fantasy in an massive open-world game. And it's even single-player, which is fantastic since I really dislike multiplayer open-world RPGs for my own anti-social reasons - with a game like that I want to get lost in it like a playable interactive story. Further, I even *have* the drat game on Steam. Installed. I just know that if I start playing it I will probably really like it, and it'll turn into a massive time-hole that drains everything else for god knows how many weeks. The idea of combining something that feels a bit like a first-person action game in a massive open fantasy realm sounds dangerously, dangerously addictive if done well. But the fact that I haven't played it is utterly nonsensical, really.

It definitely takes some cues from ASOIAF. And regarding it being a time sink: At my work our vacation time doesn't roll over, and I don't really use it that often and I'm too poor to go anywhere so I'll almost always end up with a week+ vacation doing not much. One of those occurred around the time Skyrim came out and I played it pretty much as you're describing. I still got nowhere near "completing" it and only barely finished the main story. It's loving massive.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, based on that Intel&Sebastian it almost makes me more scared! Although I'm clearly no stranger to timesinks - be they video games, novels, or tv series - so I don't know why I should hold back.

As for Morrowind, it looks extremely open-ended. I usually prefer video games that gently shepherd me down essentially linear paths while giving me the freedom to explore without having to worry that I'm getting too far off the point (unless that's what I specifically want to do). Or sometimes just the vaguest illusion of freedom is OK if the game is good enough. When I find myself in true open-ended RPG-type games where there are immediately tons of paths and options that you can do in any order, I have trouble getting into it. I blame playing too many PSX-era JRPGs as a kid.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I got Skyrim last Christmas. I only just got around to killing the big bad on Sunday. Nearly a year in real time, over a year in-game. There is just so much poo poo left in my quest menu, and there's still just caves and stuff to clear out after that.

Go ahead and play it, just keep in mind that you will come to hate tombs and crypts; not because they are hard, but because they are full of Dread Deathlords who are just huge Shouting axesponges :negative:

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

I got Skyrim last Christmas. I only just got around to killing the big bad on Sunday. Nearly a year in real time, over a year in-game. There is just so much poo poo left in my quest menu, and there's still just caves and stuff to clear out after that.

Go ahead and play it, just keep in mind that you will come to hate tombs and crypts; not because they are hard, but because they are full of Dread Deathlords who are just huge Shouting axesponges :negative:

That's why you sneak up on them until you get close enough, then scream at your weapons to make them go faster and dice the baddies up like you were a psychotic blender on legs. :getin:

But yeah it sounds like Skyrim is your kind of game kaworu but it's probably guaranteed that you'll lose hours of your life to it and not even care. I couldn't tell you how much time it stole from me and I never really got around to completing the main storyline. It's seriously fun, even if you're just stealing everything not nailed down in people's houses and dumping all of their poo poo in the streets and watching it get kicked everywhere by the townsfolk.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Skyrim is boring as hell don't waste time playing it. The combat is boring, the leveling system is still just as poo poo as it's always been in the series, the quests are dull and repetitive, the dungeons uninspired, and the main story is a joke.

Is it a completely awful game in all regards? No, there are a few redeeming factors I guess.However, is it worth playing? Not really. There's just nothing about it that is as fantastic as people say. Just play Fallout New Vegas instead for your open world rpg fix. Same type of game in a different, better setting (I'll take post apocalyptic over generic fantasy any day) and it's much more fun. Plus combat that isn't completely awful and boring, fun weapons, and an actually somewhat entertaining story line and decent writing for a video game.

Damo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 17, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
To state the obvious, you already own it, so the best thing to do is just play a bit and see if its in your personal taste. As you can see, there's a wide spectrum of opinions on it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 17, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

"Brienne's Journey" A real time walking simulator lets you live out Brienne's exciting quest to locate a "girl of three and ten!". Travel from City to Towne to other City in this expanded and ultra realistic 3D version of Westeros. With your trusty companion Pod at your side, you will:

-Walk
-Forage
-Make a Fire
-Sleep
-Meet exciting travelers like yourself and glare at them, including:
--Nimble Dick Crabb
--Barefoot Priest
--Lost Soldiers of Wars long past
--Not Sansa

All in REAL TIME!

Your Journey starts in Kings Landing, and will take you almost the whole way to Saltpans, across the wonderful world of Westeros.

Does that include the optional Sandor Clegane boss fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Lycus posted:

Star Citizen