Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

are you all being serious recommending south park. you're all saying "if you find SP funny" but who over the age of 9 does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Hog Inspector posted:

not really the next big thing so much as a continuing trend but i expect way more videogames attempting to tackle themes that far exceed their staffs' writing abilities

I doubt anything is going to eclipse MGS V for a while when it comes out in that department.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Eonwe posted:

Lets assume I haven't played a lot of RPGs

what are some really long RPGs that you'd recommend

any console but Wii U/PS4/XBone

SMT3 Nocturne(PS2): 60+ hours if you go for the best ending
SMT: Strange Journey(DS): 70+ hour first person dungeon crawler with interesting level design
SMT4(3DS): 60+ hours if you go for the best ending, with a new game + that adds new quests depending on your alignment

I don't enjoy the persona games (3&4) but you might. They are not very interesting to me as far as the combat goes, and the dungeons are outright terrible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's hard to recommend very long RPGs to anyone, because for me at least, they take forever to get going and it's always easy to lose focus. New Vegas, Witcher, the original Dragon Age all bored me to death with their brown/green color palettes and by the numbers fantasy exploration. The Mass Effect series while not strictly an RPG is very well-paced comparatively speaking and the plot is involving right away. Space is also cooler than brown forests and deserts. I think you can buy the whole trilogy for like $15 on Origin and that's easily 100+ hours of content even if you're rushing at super speed through everything. Just be prepared to use console cheats for the first game as its combat & inventory system is very outdated.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dark souls is anything from 50-100 hours first time through i recommend playing the entire series for a nice chunk of long RPGs

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

are you all being serious recommending south park. you're all saying "if you find SP funny" but who over the age of 9 does

drat stux you have some utterly messed up opinions of videogames. i dont even know what to say half the time

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i mean, i do too, but my messed up opinions is that i like almost all games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neverwinter nights is fun, assuming you like the DnD 3.5 setting and rules. I like it because if you can get the expansions you get an absolute shitload of classes and spells and stuff to mess about with, and a bucketload of good dungeon crawling action. The selling point is going to be whether you like the DnD style, but if you like say, Dragon Age Origins but wish it was more meaty, you'll probably really like Neverwinter Nights, as dragon age origins is basically NwN but dumbed down and dragged through the EDGY filter. (can you tell I didn't like it?)

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is also kind of interesting, I haven't gotten that far in it and it seems incredibly easy even on harder difficulties, but it's a surprisingly competent action RPG and it seems like it's got buckets of plot in it if you care about that sort of thing, considering it often goes on sale for dirt cheap I'd recommend it if quantity is important to you. I keep tripping over side quests every ten feet.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 16, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

drat stux you have some utterly messed up opinions of videogames. i dont even know what to say half the time

south park is not funny

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

south park is not funny

i have to disagree.

and the game is really well made

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

i have to disagree.

and the game is really well made

well you're wrong about south park and i don't make any claims to the games actual quality because its south park so i am never touching it :tipshat:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
well im not wrong, it justs have a differents opinions. humour has no right or wrong :>
i just cannot believe my game likes are so very different to yours on just about every post i see

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

well im not wrong, it justs have a differents opinions. humour has no right or wrong :>
i just cannot believe my game likes are so very different to yours on just about every post i see

no it does, south park is on a my little pony level of embarrassing poo poo you shouldn't like.

i like many many games I'm sure we have considerable crossover as well as disagreement :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

no it does, south park is on a my little pony level of embarrassing poo poo you shouldn't like.

lmao that these words tumbled into a sentence from you. you have no joy man.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
XENOGEARS

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

lmao that these words tumbled into a sentence from you. you have no joy man.

i have many joy, i enjoy cool joyful games like mario and banjo kazooie and such i just do not like dumb unfunny humour for teenagers sorry :smith:

de-blob was also good actually!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

someone should make a bobs burgers game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like the South Park episode where everyone thinks the Subway guy has AIDS.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

I like the South Park episode where everyone thinks the Subway guy has AIDS.

yeah that one is pretty epic hahaha

i also like the one where randy says the n-word and then everyone else does a lot haha :xd:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thank you. I didn't see that one but it sounds chill.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I've heard that South Park game is basically just a good episode strapped to a fairly mediocre game. Really not my thing and I'm also not super keen on Obsidian.

OwlFancier posted:

Neverwinter nights is fun, assuming you like the DnD 3.5 setting and rules. I like it because if you can get the expansions you get an absolute shitload of classes and spells and stuff to mess about with, and a bucketload of good dungeon crawling action. The selling point is going to be whether you like the DnD style, but if you like say, Dragon Age Origins but wish it was more meaty, you'll probably really like Neverwinter Nights, as dragon age origins is basically NwN but dumbed down and dragged through the EDGY filter. (can you tell I didn't like it?)

DA:O has some really tedious sections but overall I'd say it's much better than NWN. NWN is boring, bland, ugly and controls like garbage with more than 1 party member. It is basically built for multiplayer and custom modules. NWN2 is more party-based but it inherits NWN1's abysmal party controls and takes FOREVER to get going. I've heard the expansions are good but I just can't stand the game's interface so I never got them.

Divinity 2 was a lot of fun. It's got tonnes of character, no dumb grinding and doesn't take itself too seriously. It's pretty long too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Thank you, the lowercase careposter.

im glad to see my personal brand has resonated so strongly with you :tipshat:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Buck Turgidson posted:

I've heard that South Park game is basically just a good episode strapped to a fairly mediocre game. Really not my thing and I'm also not super keen on Obsidian.

It should have been more difficult.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buck Turgidson posted:

DA:O has some really tedious sections but overall I'd say it's much better than NWN. NWN is boring, bland, ugly and controls like garbage with more than 1 party member. It is basically built for multiplayer and custom modules.

Ehh, I found dragon age extremely dull, NwN has better dungeon variety, much better loot variety due to having more content overall, far more classes, much better class/skill specific options, and also I actually give a poo poo about the setting rather than grimdark generic fantasyland where everyone is constantly talking about having sex with the PC or social injustice.

Honestly the biggest similarity to nwn is the party system, I didn't see a lot of difference between the two games in that department, neither of them control great but both have acceptable AI to deal with that deficiency.

If I had to pick a setting and set of content I'd pick NwN hands down, I guess dragon age has possibly better technical storytelling but the story itself is so utterly unengaging and the characters so absolutely unappealing that I can't say I would call it much of a benefit. NwN is not very inspired but it fits its somewhat oldschool dungeon crawler feel, and there's some nice callbacks to it in the later expansions. You also get a great sense of scale with all 40 levels when you go from beating up kobolds to killing archdevils.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Any combat system that uses D&D rules is going to be bad, the best thing you can say about NWN is that there are mods to make it less bad. But even then, it's bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Any combat system that uses D&D rules is going to be bad, the best thing you can say about NWN is that there are mods to make it less bad. But even then, it's bad.

That's why you play wiz or cleric and spend all day thinking about what spells you're going to cast today :v:

But yeah basic fighter in 3.5 isn't very good, if you want to be a fighter be a monk instead and enjoy being stupidly overpowered.

I'm just sad the game won't let you cast Bigby's Obscene Gesture at enemies.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 16, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
stick of truth seems appropriately difficult, i actually got owned a few times in that game especially early on because i was doing all the exploring side quest poo poo

its a fun-ish rpg that has a lot of super mario rpg elements to it, and its kind of neat how its done. don't recommend it though if the fact that the cartoon has not-so-edgy plots like 'the time randy said the n-word' makes you upset or if you don't think its funny because the game leans a lot on its "humor" but if you can shut off your super brain and play it its funny

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

stick of truth seems appropriately difficult, i actually got owned a few times in that game especially early on because i was doing all the exploring side quest poo poo

its a fun-ish rpg that has a lot of super mario rpg elements to it, and its kind of neat how its done. don't recommend it though if the fact that the cartoon has not-so-edgy plots like 'the time randy said the n-word' makes you upset or if you don't think its funny because the game leans a lot on its "humor" but if you can shut off your super brain and play it its funny

i can't sorry, it will be resigned to the trash bin with borderlands and saints row for being dumb games that lean on humour but fail to be funny in any measurable sense of the word :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stux posted:

i can't sorry, it will be resigned to the trash bin with borderlands and saints row for being dumb games that lean on humour but fail to be funny in any measurable sense of the word :smith:

Do you just hate fun? Saints Row is super fun. 3 gives you a pro wrestling move button, that just lets you do wrestling moves on anyone, any time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Do you just hate fun? Saints Row is super fun. 3 gives you a pro wrestling move button, that just lets you do wrestling moves on anyone, any time.

i love fun! some of my favourite games are fun little cool games. but dumb humour that isn't funny ruins any game for me. ive played all the saints rows bar 4 and never finished a single one because they are not only unfunny but also badly made and bad games in general I'm sorry for these hard hitting truths.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah idk i could see hating borderlands for its grindy nonsense, but the writing is not terrible and actually made me laugh a few times. it helps to lower your standards for humor, imho. yeah saints row is fun.

i think its important to turn off your filter for comedy every once and a while and just enjoy some really poor attempts at it and laugh at the simple mans comedy. it helps make one humble. its part of broadening your horizons; you can't just embrace all the good high end comedy and games, you also have to celebrate and experience the terrible schlock that is fun for what it is.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i respect your opinion stux, i just think you could benefit from a period of time being forced to find fun in the mundane

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ullerrm posted:

* If you haven't done any of the older Final Fantasy games, they're worth playing. Most of them have a decent modern remake -- and, sadly, some of them have really crappy modern remakes as well. The PSP ports of FF1, FF2, and FF4 are excellent; they put in new sprites and better translations, but leave the core gameplay intact. (In contrast, the DS ports of these games are basically complete remakes with 3D content and new game mechanics, and it doesn't quite do so well.) Likewise, the GBA port of FF5 is pretty solid.

Final Fantasy :spergin: time!

FF1 and 2 on PSP aren't available digitally (unless you setup a Japanese account on your PSP or Vita and buy from there, which is playable in English). It also has identical ports on iOS and Android if you don't mind touch, and they're playable in a shitload of other languages if that's your thing.
FF3 is broken-as-gently caress since its original Famicom version so I don't really have any recommendations here (they reduced the frequency of encounters but strengthened monsters to make up for it but the balance is hosed so you get steamrolled in the final dungeon and one-shotted by the final boss at the end of a 4-hour-long dungeon you can't save in and have to grind for several hours). There's "Famicom version" and "every other version", pretty much.
FF4 is best on PSP and has the extra content, although the 3D versions have a slightly better translation (3D versions other than DS have difficulty levels).
FF5 is best on GBA. PS1 version has a broken-as-poo poo translation if you want a few laughs.
FF6 is musically best on SNES, overall best on GBA (has a far, far, far better translation).
Everything after that basically doesn't matter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is no form of wit higher than spraying poo on pretend people in a videogame :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The part in Canada was chill.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In general, most people will enjoy their game purchases and in fact life itself more if they don't read or care about the opinions of insanely negative goons. This is how I manage to enjoy almost all games I play, because I seek to find something fun and amusing within it, along with the perspective that playing video games for hours on end is a luxury enjoyed by relatively few. This has worked with almost everything except Fallout New Vegas, the boringest and worst goon-endorsed game of all time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

yeah idk i could see hating borderlands for its grindy nonsense, but the writing is not terrible and actually made me laugh a few times. it helps to lower your standards for humor, imho. yeah saints row is fun.

i think its important to turn off your filter for comedy every once and a while and just enjoy some really poor attempts at it and laugh at the simple mans comedy. it helps make one humble. its part of broadening your horizons; you can't just embrace all the good high end comedy and games, you also have to celebrate and experience the terrible schlock that is fun for what it is.

i give them a good shot, i have played 3 of the SR games, and all 3 of the borderlands games now. the last borderlands had a couple of jokes that made me giggle. the rest is trash and the gameplay on them is not anywhere near strong enough to solve that. saints row just feels like a poo poo version of GTA. borderlands feels like a poo poo version of diablo with a bad FPS controls.

i don't think they are simple mans comedy, they are too cliquey and meme-y and in jokey. GTA is more simple mans comedy than saints row (also really not very funny but it isn't as in your face with it being So Wacky). even devoid of the bad jokes they are not v good games. the bad jokes just amplify that and make them intolerable.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

In general, most people will enjoy their game purchases and in fact life itself more if they don't read or care about the opinions of insanely negative goons. This is how I manage to enjoy almost all games I play, because I seek to find something fun and amusing within it, along with the perspective that playing video games for hours on end is a luxury enjoyed by relatively few. This has worked with almost everything except Fallout New Vegas, the boringest and worst goon-endorsed game of all time.

same actually. i like a lot of games goons say are terrible and find a lot of games goons really like are awful. i guess the take away is that goons are awful and should be destroyed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ullerrm posted:

* Mass Effect 1/2 (fml, where are you, ME3 PC)

On Origin without controller support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
some loving bizarre opinions flowing out right now. but godspeed you all. enjoy what you enjoy.

• Locked thread