Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

It could just be a stock conversation for use with all DLC characters so they don't have to round up the voice actors to record new lines every time.

yeah that's what i think it is. it'd be a bit disappointing but it's understandable that they wouldn't want to go through all that trouble if the dlc characters hadn't been decided on when they were recording lines.

Reiley posted:

It's good that there's a game to suit everyone's tastes!! But I feel like the two-stock meta of Smash4 is the most engaging to spectate for the widest swath of people, you don't get big stock gaps and comebacks are always possible, and they're just really tense matches to watch. The game is also really well-balanced, all sorts of characters pop up in the Top 3s. They did a good job making this video game for us.

i agree with this, two stocks is more interesting both to watch and to play. doing 3 stock always leaves me burnt out by the third stock, it just takes too long unless there's a big skill gap between the players.

design-wise i think there's room for improvement, as mentioned defensive options are way better than they should be and i think the game could stand to be a bit faster, but overall honestly i'm thrilled at how good this game ended up being especially with how many characters there are. bringing in namco for this was a really good decision, i think.

edit: also we need to fight still, let me know when is a good time.

THE loving MOON posted:

Well yeah, I usually turn off the gust jar, the, drill, galaga, and a couple others myself. I also like doing 1v1 no items. But jeez, how do you get into smash in the first place if you can't have fun just playing the odd free-for-all, bullshit and all, the way god intended? :confused:

i don't get super upset about items or anything (except when trying to complete certain challenges in the single player modes, fuuuuck that) but i honestly just don't really have much fun playing with them. idk i can gently caress around in free for all with friends and have items on and be fine but i'd be lying if i said i wouldn't rather be doing 1v1s without items. different strokes i guess, but theres no need for anyone to get angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

sharrrk posted:

edit: also we need to fight still, let me know when is a good time.

Haha, sorry!! Yeah we can fight sometime this week. I owe fights to so many people, I feel like I'm in debt to the smash mob.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reinanigans posted:

After trying all night to beat the challenge wherein you beat Classic on 9.0 in under 12 minutes using Marth, I decided to finally throw in the towel and use one of my 5 hammers. I noticed they leave a little hammer symbol on the image after you break it. Now my shame is forever recorded.

I then decided to say "gently caress it" and use the rest of the hammers. I used them on as many "Classic on 9.0" challenges as I could. I have 116 out of 140 challenges beat, including all the stadium related ones. I pretty much only have the All-Star, Smash Tour, a couple Classic ones and poo poo like "get ALL the CDs" left. Man, I just reached 500 trophies. How the gently caress are there over 200 left?! Gotta get 50000 blocks, 300000 coins, all hats, costumes, alt. moves, and then I STILL have to figure out a way to beat Classic 9.0 without dying. Any advice for that one?

At this rate, I'll be done with the challenges around summer and then I can actually start playing online. :shepicide:

Please don't finish the challenges before playing online. When the game is new you'll probably get the most varied competition and in months the only people left playing will be the hardcore players who will destroy you.

Also you get something like 100 Trophies just from beating all of classic and all star with everyone. Remember each type of Mii counts as a seperate trophy too.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

There are a lot of challenges in the top three rows that put you entirely at the mercy of so many random factors that it really isn't much fun. Go have fun online instead of wasting your life grinding Crazy Orders for custom special moves!!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Cat Machine posted:

There are a lot of challenges in the top three rows that put you entirely at the mercy of so many random factors that it really isn't much fun. Go have fun online instead of wasting your life grinding Crazy Orders for custom special moves!!

Just...a...few...more...!

But yeah. I don't think I'll spend too much more times on challenges. My amount of time for games is scarce enough as it is. Might as well have fun getting destroyed in For Glory than getting destroyed by the CPU.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Just got this game, add me on nintendo ID if you're in the US Northeast because I really hate lag. ID: eatmorehufu

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm thinking that there's some shady things happening online. This new character Captain Spark worries me

He looks a bit overpowered.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm thinking that there's some shady things happening online. This new character Captain Spark worries me

He looks a bit overpowered.

But if the second and third pieces of that weapon ever drop, he'll be *set*.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There was no one online the other night and I was bored of For Glory so I knocked off a bunch of challenges. The ones that aren't bullshit are actually pretty fun, there's just enough reward there to make me try out new characters or spend a few minutes in modes like Target Blast or Multiman Melee that I normally had no interest in.

Also I like items but you gotta keep them on low. Even the "normal" spawn rate feels way too high, it feels like you spend more time grabbing items than doing anything else.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I don't particularly care for items. They can be pretty funny like all bumper matches or whatever but I've played with people playing with items on high and even if I win I never feel like I accomplished anything. I threw a master ball on the ground and my pokemon killed everyone, sure, but it's not like I really had any control over that. Kinda just watching a ton of random bullshit happen and then someone "wins".

That being said I don't make a stink about it. My friends want me to play with them and they're using items? Whatever, sure.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I need more goons to play with. I'm Sdoots on here and there. I like Sheik but I kind of suck.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Items are better when they don't decide the flow of a match. They've ramped up in power to they point where they aren't fun any more. Items are best when they don't kill your opponent for you but instead give you an alternate way to do it yourself.

Even back in the N64 version, the most powerful items were the Hammer or the Bob-omb (maybe the Red Shell. What happened to that?). You could destroy your opponent with a well placed shot but they had the chance to dodge or steer clear. It's not like the screen turned black and no one had fun or they were abducted by aliens and instantly KOed or a giant legendary Pokemon blew everyone off the stage.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I like items for when playing with groups of people. They give less skilled players a chance to get some kills and even win. Video games aren't as fun when one or two people consistently annihilate everyone else. (At least for the people getting beat up.)

Though I can definitely see the appeal of turning them off when you have evenly matched fighters. I think it's fantastic that this game is so customizable that you can play how you want.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The problem with items, even in a casual context, is that they get in the way of controlling your character. When I host 5-8 player Smashes at family gatherings, I keep everything turned off except Smash Balls because it's really frustrating for a kid when they can't get their goddamn super scope to go away or they punch a Deku Nut that got spawned right in front of them and they get punished for something they had no power over.

I think item mechanics are cool and necessary and good. Smash'd be a lot less diverse if not for stuff like the Metal Blade, or Peach's Turnips and Link's bombs and all those other grab-ables and stuff. But most random items are pretty unfun in practice.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Lucina's up smash is really stupid. Like, I'm not saying she doesn't deserve an attack with a big hitbox on either side but the attack is literally her thrusting her sword straight up in the air. The animation itself has nothing to do with where it hits. I do not like it :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Quite a few character's up-smashes have a vacuum effect that sucks people into the actual hit. It's kinda nuts. Shulk, Mega Man, and ROB are a few other notorious offenders of this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Lucina's up smash is really stupid.

You're stupid :colbert:
also it's like the one thing Marth and Marthette have at this point, don't take it away from them

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Kaubocks posted:

Quite a few character's up-smashes have a vacuum effect that sucks people into the actual hit. It's kinda nuts. Shulk, Mega Man, and ROB are a few other notorious offenders of this.

I guess I just don't notice it as much with them since they all have fairly wide animations for theirs. Lucina's just bothers me because her sword is so thin. Make her swing her sword a little and it would be better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I guess I just don't notice it as much with them since they all have fairly wide animations for theirs. Lucina's just bothers me because her sword is so thin. Make her swing her sword a little and it would be better.

Make her and Marth's sword not a dagger and you have a deal. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is there a list of the challenges and what they unlock? I'm trying to get to 700 trophies and all CDs, and considering even with clearing All-Star I'll only have 682 of the former, I could do with knowing which challenges will get me more trophies and any CDs I might lack (though in that one I might just need to go through more Crazy Orders)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is there a list of the challenges and what they unlock? I'm trying to get to 700 trophies and all CDs, and considering even with clearing All-Star I'll only have 682 of the former, I could do with knowing which challenges will get me more trophies and any CDs I might lack (though in that one I might just need to go through more Crazy Orders)

Here you go:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-challenges-guide-284165.phtml

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I did the lucina 8 KO thing finally. Cool. And then I did the Little Mac Classic with no deaths at intensity 0.0 to reward myself.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

mabels big day posted:

I did the lucina 8 KO thing finally. Cool. And then I did the Little Mac Classic with no deaths at intensity 0.0 to reward myself.

The most loving satisfying thing in this game I've ever done was doing the same thing, getting an 8-person brawl on Duck Hunt, and killing absolutely everyone in about 5 seconds with two fully charged neutral B punches

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

ChaosArgate, I'm calling you out. I've got a room up; hop in and let's see if your Robin can best the perfection that is King Dedede

Edit: ended up fighting seiferguy instead. Thanks for popping in, had to stop since I work in the mornings. ChaosArgate, the call out still stands

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 16, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I beat 8.0 with Captain Falcon after a thousand tries, seeing how I got better little by little every time (from losing against Master Edge, to completing the whole thing until Fortress without losing a life and then finally beating Fortress with little damage on my second life), and it felt so drat satisfying. I felt like Falcon Punching someone everytime I lost but goddamn did it feel nice to finally win and with such style too.

This was my second 8.0, after Ganondorf (who I beat on my first try due to working perfectly with my custom setup of quick smash attacks/lifesteal/all the defense). Then I tried with Ike...it didn't go so well. I need to win my third, but I wonder if I really can with Ike since I suck at fighting both with and against Ike (Master Shadow is really, really hard this way). Maybe I'll try Mii Brawler, since he's my second choice most of the time.

Sad the reward's bad, I left Master Fortress: First Wave on just so this was worth something, but it's not a song I want playing most of the time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

liquidypoo posted:

ChaosArgate, I'm calling you out. I've got a room up; hop in and let's see if your Robin can best the perfection that is King Dedede

Edit: ended up fighting seiferguy instead. Thanks for popping in, had to stop since I work in the mornings. ChaosArgate, the call out still stands

Oh whoops, sorry, I had a guest over til late so I didn't check the thread. I think I should be good 5-6 PM EST tomorrow night? I'll try to check the thread a little more often.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

No worries.

Quick side question for the whole thread: how exactly does the voice chat work? Does it only broadcast to people who have it turned on? I get the distinct impression that I'm just talking to myself between rounds

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I can't speak for whether or not it broadcasts to everyone, but the quality is really bad and it's really hard to hear people sometimes through it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

liquidypoo posted:

No worries.

Quick side question for the whole thread: how exactly does the voice chat work? Does it only broadcast to people who have it turned on? I get the distinct impression that I'm just talking to myself between rounds

No, it broadcasts to everyone who's connected, regardless of whether or not they have voice chat turned on.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Well that blows. Guess I'll just turn it off then.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I can't speak for whether or not it broadcasts to everyone, but the quality is really bad and it's really hard to hear people sometimes through it.
When I play with people I know I sit the gamepad next to me and plug in headphones, which seems to work okay. Probably just better to load up Skype/Facetime/whatever though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I didn't realize Dedede's recolors give his outfit new patterns.

Green has him wearing a Waddle Dee sweater :kimchi:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I organize my Smash matches by having my Xbox 360 on at the same time and use its party chat to communicate with my friends.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I organize my Smash matches by having my Xbox 360 on at the same time and use its party chat to communicate with my friends.

But there is an 8kbps ingame lobby chat codec?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

liquidypoo posted:

That was pretty fun. I more or less cycled through different characters I hadn't used so it was fun to get the experience with different characters. For the record, I left the room at first because for some reason when I joined at first, the game decided that my gamepad was my primary controller, not my gamecube one for some reason. Leaving and rejoining fixes that.

Anyone know the best way to get lifesteal equipment? I got the vampire badge from Lucina's cruel melee achievement, but that's all I got and I want to buff up for those level 9 challenges.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

^ I was wondering about that, but you hopped back in quick enough. No biggie.

I've used Skype a couple times with a couple buddies while smashing. It works pretty well.

You know what? gently caress it. I might be getting a little more into Smash lately, and the IRC was dead as hell last time I saw it (granted, I only checked it once). If anybody sees me on Skype (same username there) you could gimme a quick poke and see if I'm down to smush.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GAMECUBE ADAPTERS ARE BACK IN STOCK AT NINTENDO WORLD

IF YOU CAN MAKE IT AND WANT ONE, GO GO GO!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

DoctorWhat posted:

GAMECUBE ADAPTERS ARE BACK IN STOCK AT NINTENDO WORLD

IF YOU CAN MAKE IT AND WANT ONE, GO GO GO!

You should just buy them and sell them to goons 1:1

e: Well, not all of them, but like 5.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

You should just buy them and sell them to goons 1:1

e: Well, not all of them, but like 5.

They have a 2-per-customer policy. Believe me, if I could, I'd sell them at cost+shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, if there ARE two goons who would pay for that, I'll head over if they post ITT within, like, an hour or two.

EDIT: Limit ONE per customer. Sorry.

• Locked thread