Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Conor McGregor talks about Cm Punk signing

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/15/7392445/morning-report-ufc-conor-mcgregor-cm-punk-dana-white-nate-diaz-ronda-rousey-mma-news

quote:

CM Punk? I don't know," said McGregor. "Listening to him speak, when I heard the broadcast announcement I saw a man afraid. Like he signed up for something he didn't want to be. When the shin bone cracks the body or the elbow cracks or the heel cracks... It doesn't get much more real than that. Personally, I don't think he should be in this league just yet, but again, you bring asses to the seats, you bring eyeballs to the screen and we will give you a shot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
If you want a picture of the future, Winston, imagine a man with slicked back hair who says cool words being laid upon by a collegiate wrestler for 15 minutes, forever.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Keg posted:

If you want a picture of the future, Winston, imagine a man with slicked back hair who says cool words being laid upon by a collegiate wrestler for 15 minutes, forever.

Conor vs Frankie would probably be a 5 rounder

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Its gonna be really funny when CM Punk decides this weight cutting stuff is really stupid and decides not to fight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Maybe he'll fight at 205 and they can re-sign Houston Alexander

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SO I don't watch UFC, how hosed is Punk?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Beef Waifu posted:

If he fights someone halfway decent? Very. They won't put him against someone who is decent though.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Beef Waifu posted:

Say the Seahawks signed a guy who played flag football in the park. That hosed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dsriggs posted:

Say the Seahawks signed a guy who played flag football in the park. That hosed.

So is CM Punk Shane Falco or Tommy Maddox?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I know dick-all about UFC, training in general and what not. But don't most guys who want to excel at UFC/MMA have to start fairly young (early twenties-ish) to have a decent shot? Are there cases of mid-late thirties guys actually starting from scratch and succeeding?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Yoel Romero and Daniel Cormier both got into MMA when they were very old and found success. They're also both freak athletes with Olympic medals in wrestling and Cormier previously fought in the weakest division in the world.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

crime fighting hog posted:

I know dick-all about UFC, training in general and what not. But don't most guys who want to excel at UFC/MMA have to start fairly young (early twenties-ish) to have a decent shot? Are there cases of mid-late thirties guys actually starting from scratch and succeeding?

Randy Couture was nearly 34 when he made his MMA debut... of course, he was a three-time NCAA Division I All-American by that point, and wrestled and boxed in the Army when he was there.

vainman posted:

Yoel Romero and Daniel Cormier both got into MMA when they were very old and found success. They're also both freak athletes with Olympic medals in wrestling and Cormier previously fought in the weakest division in the world.

Those guys as well are in the same basic boat. Starting in your thirties? Sure! Starting from scratch in your 30s? Not so much.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Punk has a career of wear on his body without the skill to show for it. There is a very real chance he might lose to the sack of poo poo they pair him with

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It'd be different if Punk got roped into the semi worked stuff like Inoki's clusterfuck or some other shoot organization.

All we have to go on are some Gracie Breakdowns and that one time Punk piefaced a fan.

Heck even Daniel Bryan spent some time at Xtreme Couture.

I'm not convinced that Punk isn't going to get starched by some blatant can. Even the Gracie stuff didn't have him avoiding getting punched while doing transitions.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Punk has a career of wear on his body without the skill to show for it. There is a very real chance he might lose to the sack of poo poo they pair him with

His wear and tear makes me less concerned for his actual performance in the cage then it does his ability to make it through a training camp.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dangersim posted:

His wear and tear makes me less concerned for his actual performance in the cage then it does his ability to make it through a training camp.

One of the only smart things I've heard brendan Schaub say was he personally told CM Punk that he should have done a whole training camp in private and see how his body feels, then decide if he wants to fight in UFC.

The fact that he chose to do the big announcement and sign right away makes me think either he just wants the money or he truly believes he's ready, which is insane.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

vainman posted:

Cormier doesn't have a medal because he was so fat that he had to cut water weight, then his kidneys failed

But the point stands, the only kinds of guys who started in their 30's have been Olympic caliber athletes who are already world class in wrestling.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Daniel Bryan has trained MMA for years and said he would never do UFC because he doesn't like getting hit in the face but he'd love to do grappling tournaments after he retires.

He also kicked the rear end of a guy who robbed his house and put him in a rear naked choke hold until the cops showed up but I assume he didn't actually choke him because the guy was not dead

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Beef Waifu posted:

Well this is what UFC looks like

So let's hope that Punk is good at doing That

And while looking for that gif, Google gave me my latest favorite auto-complete

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bigfoot Cain is actually from San Jose. You can see him once in a blue moon before he disappears for years.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 16, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

One of my favorite things is you can tell who is an mma fan by if they put the word the in front of UFC or not.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The CM Punk will get beat up by a fat dad for a million US dollars.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dangersim posted:

One of my favorite things is you can tell who is an mma fan by if they put the word the in front of UFC or not.

Maybe they're just The Iron Sheikh.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Bubba Smith posted:

One of the only smart things I've heard brendan Schaub say was he personally told CM Punk that he should have done a whole training camp in private and see how his body feels, then decide if he wants to fight in UFC.

The fact that he chose to do the big announcement and sign right away makes me think either he just wants the money or he truly believes he's ready, which is insane.

I still think he's just being an eccentric millionaire and this is a bucket list thing for him. Next up will probably be doing a duet with Lars Fredriksen and then signing a PTO for the Chicago Blackhawks.

Punk is basically living the life I would have killed to have lived when I was like 16, hahaha.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Dangersim posted:

Don't start a fight with me, I train UFC.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

1st AD posted:

Maybe he'll fight at 205 and they can re-sign Houston Alexander

P4P for realest title fight.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

They need a lesser skilled version of Forest Griffen, no worry about KO'ing Punk and average take downs and ju-jits.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Don't start a fight with me, I train UFC.

Do you even train? If you’re as credible as you say you are, you can’t take the opinions of people on the Internet to heart, without talking to somebody who knows what they’re talking about — me included. I take jiu-jitsu three times a week. I know the difference between a kimura, an armbar, a reverse armbar and an Americana from side control, because I study it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

1st AD posted:

Do you even train? If you’re as credible as you say you are, you can’t take the opinions of people on the Internet to heart, without talking to somebody who knows what they’re talking about — me included. I take jiu-jitsu three times a week. I know the difference between a kimura, an armbar, a reverse armbar and an Americana from side control, because I study it.

I think he was being sarcastic about people who claim that they train "UFC" as if that were a fighting style as opposed to an entertainment company.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Memento posted:

I think he was being sarcastic about people who claim that they train "UFC" as if that were a fighting style as opposed to an entertainment company.

ding ding ding

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Memento posted:

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Memento posted:

I think he knew that.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Fozzy The Bear posted:

They need a lesser skilled version of Forest Griffen, no worry about KO'ing Punk and average take downs and ju-jits.

this hypothetical lesser skilled forest griffin would still molly whop CM Phil real bad

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

1st AD posted:

But what about ARM-bar or arm-BAR?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fat Lowtax posted:

The CM Punk will get beat up by a fat dad for a million US dollars.

But enough about his feud with Jericho.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's like that thing with the marshmallow where you can have one now, or 2 in a minute, or 3 in 2 minutes or whatever. It might be nice to get that immediate boost but if you play it smart you can get a much bigger payoff down the road.

Or he gets waxed by some nobody who spent 2 years of middle school wrestling

I always take the one now because I don't like marshmallows that much and they don't keep.

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".
I can't wait to troll my MMA-friends when CM Punk wins his first fight using The Worm.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

GB888 posted:

I can't wait to troll my MMA-friends when CM Punk wins his first fight using The Worm.

Worm Guard doesn't work in real fights you tard.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

crime fighting hog posted:

A whole lot of good MMA fighters started training and competing in martial arts that aim (and eventually do) full-contact fighting before they were 10 years old TBH.

They might have started MMA 10 or 20 years later, even. But getting slammed to concussion, choked until they black out or punched in the face until they lose their feet is something many of these guys learned to deal with in their teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Keg posted:

Worm Guard doesn't work in real fights you tard.

God, it's like you don't know anything about fighting. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyjZ8AJOeQ

• Locked thread