Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Huh so hit detection is bugged after patch, especially with lasers. Back to the old days when you had to aim in front of light mechs to register any hit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

WarLocke posted:

In other news, I am a bad and didn't plan for CW very well. Most of my (IS) mechs are 50-tonners, and the others are 100 tons. I need to by a 40-ton mech so I can do something like 2x 50-tonner, Atlas or Crab, and 40-tonner. I guess the go-to is the Cicada? Which variant?

Here have this terrible build I whipped up. :shepicide:

CDA-2A

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Here have this terrible build I whipped up. :shepicide:

CDA-2A

The 3M is a decent utility mech only because it brings ecm to the party

2 erLL or 2 ppc

e I would say the others are good builds for attacking and being part of the last push on a generator

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What's a good build for the LPL banshee? I bought one for the third wave push, but not quite sure how to set it up.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

various cheeses posted:

What's a good build for the LPL banshee? I bought one for the third wave push, but not quite sure how to set it up.

Mine is pretty bad but I put a std 380 and 6 med pulses. I get focused on so I don't get to last very long. Also you can do the same engine with 1 LPL and 6 SPLs.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

various cheeses posted:

Something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=145&l=acc16be051230acfb8ce124f4c91db2e8f93dc6d

You can drop the two DHS on the right arm and armour up the left arm if you want. The arms don't make great shield though if I remember right though.

Put the LPLs on two separate weapon groups, LT and RT. It's pretty effective.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Numlock posted:

Are there any useful spider builds?

I have three Cataphracts I want to run and 30 tons left over in my drop ship.

Yes I am an idiot.

Best do the spider with ECM for maximum team contribution. Not sure how you want to load it out, though, but I hear the one with 3 MPLs is a pretty wicked knife fighter.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Pooncha posted:

Best do the spider with ECM for maximum team contribution. Not sure how you want to load it out, though, but I hear the one with 3 MPLs is a pretty wicked knife fighter.
SDR-5D or SDR-5V.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I downloaded this over the weekend, still poo poo at everything but mediums (or mistakes are less noticeable there, one of the two). I'm hopping in mumble tonight.

Marathanes posted:

Some weird XL builds like the AC20 SRM12 Cent AH (or whatever the free one was), or the Cent D 'Hobo with a Shotgun', or the LRM Awesome have a place as your one special snowflake 'mech in CW.

Speaking of which,I had the Cent in my garage (where did it come from), and I'm going to keep it in order to get some skills in my menturion. What's the build with it? Keep it as it is changing the LRMs for SRMs plus Endo and DHS tax?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Fat Samurai posted:

I downloaded this over the weekend, still poo poo at everything but mediums (or mistakes are less noticeable there, one of the two). I'm hopping in mumble tonight.

Speaking of which,I had the Cent in my garage (where did it come from), and I'm going to keep it in order to get some skills in my menturion. What's the build with it? Keep it as it is changing the LRMs for SRMs plus Endo and DHS tax?
It was a loyalty reward for buying MC before a certain date. My favourite build with the AH is 3x SRM6 3x MG, as big a standard engine as you can fit, strip armour with SRMS and spray for crits with the MGs.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 16, 2014

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Centurion-AH does have AC/20 bonuses but its limited engine size and missile hardpoints make it worse than YLW if you want to use AC/20. No idea why someone would use AH over D or YLW.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Aesis posted:

Centurion-AH does have AC/20 bonuses but its limited engine size and missile hardpoints make it worse than YLW if you want to use AC/20. No idea why someone would use AH over D or YLW.

Because the AH was free, the D is the most expensive cent and the Wang costs real money?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

And why run an AC/20 on the D when you can run an auto-shotgun instead? Actually the D might not even be able to fit an AC/20 at all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, no, it can't. The Wang and AH are the only ones missing the lower arm actuator to let you fit a /20.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

BattleMaster posted:

And why run an AC/20 on the D when you can run an auto-shotgun instead? Actually the D might not even be able to fit an AC/20 at all.
Was referring D with SRM build and YLW with AC/20 build.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Number19 posted:

Something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=145&l=acc16be051230acfb8ce124f4c91db2e8f93dc6d

You can drop the two DHS on the right arm and armour up the left arm if you want. The arms don't make great shield though if I remember right though.

Put the LPLs on two separate weapon groups, LT and RT. It's pretty effective.

I intend on creating this abomination once I scrape together the C-bills, which, given how this game doles out cash, should be some time in February. The only difference is that I intended on placing a 375 xl, and 2 more LPLs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I intend on creating this abomination once I scrape together the C-bills, which, given how this game doles out cash, should be some time in February. The only difference is that I intended on placing a 375 xl, and 2 more LPLs.

Play with a group and get some premium time from one of the regular weekend competitions and you'll have cbills in no time. Also a decent CW match can net you quite a few cbills.

I've not quite worked out how the hero mech bonus applies to CW matches, but I'm going to hazard a guess that you either get nothing at all or you get the full 30% bonus just from having one hero in your drop deck.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Aesis posted:

The YLW and AH do AC20 builds differently, that's all. The AH dumps out much more damage in a short period of time, while the YLW does hit-and-run more effectively. I don't own a YLW so I can't fully comment, but the AH is really strong on its own right.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Play with a group and get some premium time from one of the regular weekend competitions and you'll have cbills in no time. Also a decent CW match can net you quite a few cbills.

I've not quite worked out how the hero mech bonus applies to CW matches, but I'm going to hazard a guess that you either get nothing at all or you get the full 30% bonus just from having one hero in your drop deck.

I've been running premium time for months. The grind is real.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The grind sucks and CW rewards are balanced to be about the same as PUG drops, with 30 minute CW drops paying about 500k cbills and 3x 10 minute PUG drops paying about 150k each. So play CW where you will now get sweet sweet Liao bonus money, and have fun stomping poo poo with goons in a group.

Tonight I get home around 2100 EST and I would love to do some 12 mans and lead you glorious cat bastards into more victories, perhaps with the 48 light swarm. Squawk. Etc.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

While the grind is real, I think MWO does still deserve credit for the way the grind works - no tiers or prerequisites, whatever you are grinding for you are grinding directly for that thing. All F2P games need some form of grind, MWO at least lets you skip the stuff you don't want to.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Aesis posted:

Huh so hit detection is bugged after patch, especially with lasers. Back to the old days when you had to aim in front of light mechs to register any hit :v:

Yeah I'm having odd results as well. Got my first timber and while it feels awesome I feel I can't rely on beam weapons and need streaks for a source of reliable damage. I'm not the best aimer but not the worst either.

I'm not too sure the other weapons are that reliable either. At least srm24 volleys barf so much in a spread that at least some of it hits.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Wait they finally added this poo poo??? I will have to log back on to squawk again!

EDIT: SO we live on a different mumble/space game forums now?

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Mjilaeck
Jun 10, 2012

Squawking is quite effective at enraging goading pubbies.

Always love the ones who talk poo poo before the round, then end the match with a loss, 4 dead mechs, and 150 damage to show for it.

Mjilaeck fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 16, 2014

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Mjilaeck posted:

Squawking is quite effective at enraging goading pubbies.

Always love the ones who talk poo poo before the round, then end the match with a loss, 4 dead mechs, and 150 damage to show for it.

That dude was so happy that his unit was "tying us up" so their other two 12-mans could drop unopposed.

I guess even penal battalions need volunteers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alchenar posted:

While the grind is real, I think MWO does still deserve credit for the way the grind works - no tiers or prerequisites, whatever you are grinding for you are grinding directly for that thing. All F2P games need some form of grind, MWO at least lets you skip the stuff you don't want to.

I agree. While I may not like the reward rate, I'm very glad that the method for unlocking more robots is to shoot robots, not make 1,024 rat pelt hoodies and collect 131,072 solaris participation medals so that I can now fit medium pulse lasers to a locust that I don't even want to use.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Module cost does seem to be a bit of bullshit though, but that's really my only complaint about the grind. I haven't played around with consumables though, do people see them as worth the MC cost?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pattonesque posted:

That dude was so happy that his unit was "tying us up" so their other two 12-mans could drop unopposed.

I guess even penal battalions need volunteers.

Who wants to drop unopposed? It's boring as hell so I'd rather drop and lose than drop against no one.

Unless there's a better solution it would be nice to have bots on defense that are good enough to wipe scrubby teams so that there's something interesting to fight against. The bots could also be reused in the testing ground and in a training mode.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Darksaber posted:

Module cost does seem to be a bit of bullshit though

At the prices modules are set at I don't see myself ever actually buying one.

Hrmm, I can buy a new robot or spend almost (or more in some cases) the same amount for one module on one robot I already have. Think I'll go with the new robot, thanks.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

The AH build I use is something like this (I think I may have dropped to 2 tons of SRM ammo, and the armor balance is subject to review). It's a bit ammo starved but will hit hard and tank well with a heavier push.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The fact you still have that shortcut says everything that needs to be said.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

How bad is this Atlas S build? I'm trying to figure out a way to build it around the SRM4 quirks.

50 volleys of SRMs, 35 rounds for the AC20, and 2xML for popsicle action. Threw CASE in there since I'm carrying 13 tons of ammo and this Atlas is the only mech I've lost to ammo explosions more than once in a blue moon.

The SRM4s jump me to 25% heat if I group fire them, though. Much easier to handle chain-fired, but then you lose the big punch...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

WarLocke posted:

How bad is this Atlas S build? I'm trying to figure out a way to build it around the SRM4 quirks.

50 volleys of SRMs, 35 rounds for the AC20, and 2xML for popsicle action. Threw CASE in there since I'm carrying 13 tons of ammo and this Atlas is the only mech I've lost to ammo explosions more than once in a blue moon.

The SRM4s jump me to 25% heat if I group fire them, though. Much easier to handle chain-fired, but then you lose the big punch...

Odds are that's way too much SRM ammo.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

WarLocke posted:

I'd go with something more like this. A 300 is way too slow for my tastes, and I tend to design 'mechs with around 20 salvos of ammo. Only use the lasers if you've lost a weapon or two already. This thing can brawl for 30 seconds or so just holding down the missile and AC buttons (before overheating, you have ammo for longer than that), goes more than 60 with tweak, and will torso twist pretty quick (for an Atlas), so you can use your arms as bullet sponges.

Edit: for clarity

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 16, 2014

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
FTFY
AS7-S

35 AC20 Rounds and 37.5 SRM salvo's, more sinks, a little less armor on the legs.

(Honestly I would consider ditching the atremis and fitting in a 325)

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

I have been running a UAC5 Marmoset since the day it was released. Someone please link me to a better build because taking an XL Engine is no longer worth the risk since UAC5s are slower and double tapping ain't what it used to be.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

gwarm01 posted:

I have been running a UAC5 Marmoset since the day it was released. Someone please link me to a better build because taking an XL Engine is no longer worth the risk since UAC5s are slower and double tapping ain't what it used to be.

Replace UACs with ACs. Do something fun with your extra three tons.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Or you can do 2 AC10s (still ironically saving 3 tons) and take advantage of the extra quirks. 2 AC10s, 8 tons of ammo, 3 ML and a standard 250 should all fit (though honestly I'd still recommend an XL300 and some extra ammo / heat sinks). With the 250 standard, you'll be as slow as a quick Atlas, but if you're committed to not having an XL, just push with some fatties in CW and you'll be fine.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DiHK posted:

35 AC20 Rounds and 37.5 SRM salvo's, more sinks, a little less armor on the legs.

Going to try this bad boy after work.

28 AC20 rounds, 25 volleys of SRMs, pretty much max armor, MPLs for less face time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

gwarm01 posted:

The only real std engine build I've run on the illya is 2 pcc 1 gauss. If you're going max dakka, taking an XL probably helps. I've run an XL340 with 3 AC5's to good success.

• Locked thread