Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

king salmon posted:

what the hell

loving fat Ingish, Lord of the Ham Hock is what he is.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Literally Kermit posted:

loving fat Ingish, Lord of the Ham Hock is what he is.

Goddamn deviant just sitting there watching stripping demonstrations all day, I tells ya.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Toady One posted:

After many delinquent miners pottering around mining halves of rooms and being otherwise pesky, all the numeric mining stuff seems to be working, so they can carve out a hallway and then the rooms, etc., without much trouble. It applies to each of the different mining designations, and also engraving, chopping down trees, gathering plants, carving tracks and removing constructions, since those are all designations too. Somebody asked for the marker designation to be toggle-able and independent of the priority numbers, and that all works now -- so you can plan out several sections and then turn them on as needed. What's left... managing the priorities of the important/rare jobs, vein mining stuff, do-this-now prioritizations, further toying around... it's going well so far.

I thought this labor prioritization was going to be in the next content update, not this one :aaa:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Holy hell building above ground stuff is going to be a much smaller pain in the rear end than before.

e: probably not, actually. Building a second level on top of a first, nonbuilt one, using sequential designations would require the game understanding that the first level would already be done, thus it could check the unbuilt prior constructions for pathing up to the second level when seeing if there is available material.

Digging will be simpler now, anyways.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 11, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

gently caress my face, this is great.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I can't wait to designate my entire fortress in one go! One giant macro and I'm done!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Toady One descended from the caverns to say things re: mifki's iOS API:

Toady One posted:

I was asked to come in and weigh in on this. I don't have a problem with the app as it regards "gutting" DF. Looks cool! The main problem we have with people selling "Dwarf Fortress" stuff is that sometimes people assume we are seeing part of the money, which is bad for us. Along those lines, we'd not want people to be confused that they are buying a complete mobile version of DF, as people might again assume they are contributing to Bay 12 when it is not the case. The sale of DF apps/mods in general gives me an uncomfortable feeling, but that's probably all it amounts to. On the other hand, overall, these sorts of efforts are good for the game. These are the issues, anyway. If somebody had something specific they wanted permission for now or when the time is right, I can handle that via email or PMs.

And just to be clear, I'm not sure what the plans were overall, but we are completely against anybody selling DF itself, however it is bundled.

Just in case anyone forgot that Toady isn't a poo poo for a moment.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think it's a valid concern. Apps/bundles like LNP are a huge boon to the game, but the minute the creators start taking money for it an issue arises. KSP recently had issues with something similar to the point of having to rewrite their rules for modding the game and posting about it on their forums. That being said, I don't see huge Paypal donate buttons in the interface and the LNP isn't installing malware on my machine without asking.

Edit- Me no gud at reading comprehenshun

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 13, 2014

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Warbird posted:

I think it's a valid concern. Apps/bundles like LNP are a huge boon to the game, but the minute the creators start taking money for it an issue arises. KSP recently had issues with something similar to the point of having to rewrite their rules for modding the game and posting about it on their forums. That being said, I don't see huge Paypal donate buttons in the interface and the LNP isn't installing malware on my machine without asking.

"forgot that Toady isn't a poo poo". I keep misreading that double negative too (assuming that's what you did).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Somebody brought up the whole click-revenue cancer that Minecraft mods have been infested by some time ago in the modding forum.

There was a reassuring wave of anger against the concept. That topic went down in flames.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's weird. I also read it as calling toady a poo poo. I can't see why I did, but yeah.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read it as "is the poo poo" so I can't read either.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

That's weird. I also read it as calling toady a poo poo. I can't see why I did, but yeah.

Because Scamtank's an rear end in a top hat that insults us every time he posts a devlog update and we've grown to assume he's a pulsating ball of impotent misanthropic rage of the kind that being the OP of the Dwarf Fortress thread inevitably creates?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, right. Man, gently caress that guy. This thread sucks. I liked it better before it sold out. :colbert:

e: hey wait a second

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, right. Man, gently caress that guy.

That's the spirit. We can only hope he goes amusingly bonkers, like the last one did just before he dwindled away into self-parody and Spermy Smurf feuds.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
More progress:

:frog: posted:

Still continuing without any real trouble. I've updated all the medical jobs to the new invisible job posting/application system... sort of invisible. You can see the next medical job that has been posted for each patient now, even when they are inactive, which is probably useful. I had a carpenter on repeat bed construction surrounded by tempting stockpiles loaded with irrelevant hauling jobs, and the little hero kept working on beds without interruption while idle dwarves hauled, so that all seems to work. Next up I'll make sure meeting activities and depot trade jobs are attended to.

Additionally, I spied this summary of the devProcess for Dwarf Fortress that Toady gave in the Future of the Fortress thread:

:psydwarf: posted:

Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...

[...]

It has just been stuff like... why isn't he mining... why isn't he mining... oh there he goes... why did he leave those two squares? I have no idea (5 tests and changes later)... didn't leave any this time... try one more time... left two squares... oh I think I have it... now he isn't mining again... why did you mine there instead of there? Oh < is not >... okay it looks like it works now... but the marker designation looks bad... there now it is better... it's 3 already? I should eat... wait, where did that designation go? it disappeared... I have to fix that first... okay it works now... let me try to toggle the markers... why don't they mine... he isn't mining... oh, whoops... okay... he mined half... why did he mine half? oh it was the hauling jobs clearing wrong... okay he mined out the rooms... now let's see if smoothing works...

Dwarf Fortress 2014: Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Neurion has been ecstatic lately. He has been happy with work lately. He received a Secret Santa gift from his coworkers lately. He admired a fine cotton T-shirt lately.

This is a fine cotton T-shirt. On the T-shirt is an image of a dwarf in ASCII. The dwarf is mining. On the T-shirt is text. The text reads "Neurion recently admired a quality T-shirt."

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i like the thought of a dwarf walking down the hall and the rocks around him call out "there is an empty space in the stone stockpile, haul me! haul me!" and he just grits his teeth and moves on.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i like the thought of a dwarf walking down the hall and the rocks around him call out "there is an empty space in the stone stockpile, haul me! haul me!" and he just grits his teeth and moves on.

Maybe the obsessive-compulsive dwarves just can't help themselves, and thats what makes them such great stone haulers.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

-lowtax, 1999

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is it possible to set a stockpile to give to more than one workshop, or does the stockpile only supply the last workshop selected?

e.g. Scenario A: I set up a wood stockpile. I rule that the stockpile will give to a carpentry shop, a wood furnace, and a bowyery. All three workshops take wood from this pile.

Scenario B: I set up a wood stockpile and make the same supply designation. The woodpile supplies only the last destination selected, the bowyery.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I've always found the system for giving / taking from stockpiles is really unintuitive and I've really never gotten it to work. If you put a wood stockpile next to each of those workshops, just RIGHT next to it, the dwarves will pull from that stockpile first. This way you can change that stockpile to only accept certain types of wood or whatever. Just the way I do it is all. Works great in masterwork, when you want to have someone engrave a specific type of armor you've made, you just make a stockpile right next to the craftsdwarfs workshop that only includes Wolfram Hammers, or whatever.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RedTonic posted:

Is it possible to set a stockpile to give to more than one workshop

Yes. The selected workshops will all be listed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So if I want to view the notable kills of a dead dwarf, how would I go about doing that? I know that the personality view can still be accessed after death, because I've done it a few times, but I have no idea how. Finding the dwarf in question in the units menu under dead and deceased doesn't work, all the options are greyed out

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ninjewtsu posted:

So if I want to view the notable kills of a dead dwarf, how would I go about doing that? I know that the personality view can still be accessed after death, because I've done it a few times, but I have no idea how. Finding the dwarf in question in the units menu under dead and deceased doesn't work, all the options are greyed out

Can you get to it from the relationships screen?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I don't know if you can get at their kills, but if you can the way to get at their screen is by going through the relationships screen of a dwarf they were acquainted with.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Perfect! Thanks guys, that worked

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my psychiatrist told me this morning that devlogs are irrelevant to my treatment plan, the piece of poo poo

Toady One posted:

I finished the prioritization for meetings, depot trading and a few other important jobs. I've allowed some critical tasks to snatch up a working dwarf (provided they aren't carrying something), while another available dwarf without something better to do will eventually handle the first worker's job (it isn't cancelled). I've also put in the do-it-now prioritization for building tasks, which'll let you manually tell a specific building job to similarly steal dwarves from any non-critical task that isn't also do-it-now'd. This can be used on lever pulling, for instance. I was going to make this instantly assign a dwarf and add possible stress, but the application process runs often enough that the do-it-nows are assigned quickly by the regular loop, and it feels less like invasive dwarf mind surgery that way.

Next up I'll see if I can tinker meaningfully with job item selection -- with luck, building jobs will be able to swipe nearby materials that already have haul jobs on them, but it's messy and old-codey, so there could be weird, musty obstacles. After that... vein mining and that's it? I guess that's it. Scamps added two lines of code today. They didn't compile.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Get your loving head in the game Scamps. :mad:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"Weird, musty obstacles" is such a poetic, and accurate, way of describing that particular phenomenon.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Has anyone had a problem with dorfs not respecting burrows? I've got one fisherdwarf who never seems to leave the riverside ever, no matter what. He's been out there for like 10 consecutive months now. I don't think he sleeps. He just fishes. When he's thirsty, he drinks from the river and complains that it's not a well. When he's hungry, I think he just eats a raw fish. Another fish cleaner goes out with a barrel to pick up the catch and bring it back to the fishery workshop within the palisades. The only reason this arrangement is a problem is because the fort-rear end was attacked by a were-gila monster. I assigned everyone to a burrow, but the fisherdwarf never came inside. He stayed by the river. I know I assigned him to the burrow. While I did lose a couple slowpokes, the were-gila monster never bothered the fisherdwarf. He's still out there... Fishing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Legends Viewer is great. Makes looking through the legends data way easier.

about 400 years ago in my world a group of goblins attacked a dwarven hillocks. The goblins were successful but out of 553 attackers, 458 were killed. There were only 11 dwarves defending - they died to a dwarf but that's still impressive.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Scamps is a level 2 code destroyer. He bristles with menacing spikes.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RedTonic posted:

Has anyone had a problem with dorfs not respecting burrows? I've got one fisherdwarf who never seems to leave the riverside ever, no matter what. He's been out there for like 10 consecutive months now. I don't think he sleeps. He just fishes. When he's thirsty, he drinks from the river and complains that it's not a well. When he's hungry, I think he just eats a raw fish. Another fish cleaner goes out with a barrel to pick up the catch and bring it back to the fishery workshop within the palisades. The only reason this arrangement is a problem is because the fort-rear end was attacked by a were-gila monster. I assigned everyone to a burrow, but the fisherdwarf never came inside. He stayed by the river. I know I assigned him to the burrow. While I did lose a couple slowpokes, the were-gila monster never bothered the fisherdwarf. He's still out there... Fishing.

If you've ever fished irl, think about it : would YOU give it up to go back to society and end up having to craft 3 more earrings for Baron Urist ''Harkonnen" McFatfuck under penalty of hammering?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

If you've ever fished irl, think about it : would YOU give it up to go back to society and end up having to craft 3 more earrings for Baron Urist ''Harkonnen" McFatfuck under penalty of hammering?

I mean, you've got a point here, but the fort is too young to even have a mayor (and thank Urist McDeity for that).

Update on the eternal fisherdwarf: still fishin'. Fortunately the river didn't freeze in the winter. He might have gone mad. I guess I'll just build him a shelter and a booze stockpile.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RedTonic posted:

I guess I'll just build him a shelter and a booze stockpile.

Good overseer.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
"Bad day of fishing is better than a good day of being maimed by a were-gila monster"
-Fisherdwarf proverb

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
I thought a bad day of fishing had the same end result. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

Good overseer.

I gotta admit this gave me an actual smile. :3:

NuminaXLT posted:

"Bad day of fishing is better than a good day of being maimed by a were-gila monster"
-Fisherdwarf proverb

Saitorr posted:

I thought a bad day of fishing had the same end result. :confused:

Only if you get a were-carp on the line, I guess!

e: has anyone seen a were-carp :aaaaa: