Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Have some pictures of a Chaos Daemon Titan someone made with 800 Mantic figures:

Holy loving poo poo.

Also:

Hencoe, WhiteOutMouse: thanks! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ineptmule posted:

Oh boy so they finally allow an assault from deep strike under really specific conditions on a Tactical Squad? I can't wait.

Not unless that Tactical Squad is coming down in a Drop Pod. It's any friendly Blood Angels unit within range of at least two of the Teleport Homers given to the Tactical Sergeants. You could kit out some sweet Assault Terminators or Death Company or whatever. Unless you really want to get your Sergeants shot out, it essentially means any unit within range of two of the Stormravens. It's a really good (albeit very expensive) Formation.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 16, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ineptmule posted:

Jesus, this is horrifying.

I know, right? I can see an uncleaned mold line on Left Leg Zombie #61's right hand. How can they live with themselves?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
As part of my preparation for Apocalypse gaming using my Tyrant's Legion, I've drawn up one of my core formations, which is a Tyrant's Legion 'Blood Pride' Battle Squadron from IA:9. Basically it's 1 Baneblade supported by 3x Leman Russ Battle Tanks with a Vanquisher. I don't remember how much the Command Tank upgrade used to be for the Baneblade, but it is now a staggering 200 points, which brings the cost of the entire formation up to 1455 points.

The advantages of this is that the Baneblade is crewed by Astral Claws, so is bumped up to BS4. I've actually run this particular formation way back when, and absolutely devastated the two dudes infront of me. From memory, the first player was a Night Lords player who had basically been completely killed off by Turn Two, as the sheer amount of firepower the Blood Pride Battle Squadron kicks out is unbelievable. They ended up sending in a SM player after him with Terminators and such, and was also pretty much wiped out, although he did manage to reap a terrible toll on the formation. A BS4 Baneblade is almost the scariest thing I've personally seen on the table.

e: Also yeah Leman Russes are great.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 16, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leo Showers posted:

The daemon titan thing is actually legit creepy, well done dude.

I saw the guy post about the sale on a facebook group, he really doesn't want to sell it, it's his prize piece, but he's got serious money troubles so it has to go :smith:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Not unless that Tactical Squad is coming down in a Drop Pod. It's any friendly Blood Angels unit within range of at least two of the Teleport Homers given to the Tactical Sergeants. You could kit out some sweet Assault Terminators or Death Company or whatever. Unless you really want to get your Sergeants shot out, it essentially means any unit within range of two of the Stormravens. It's a really good (albeit very expensive) Formation.

Ah, I misread - I thought it stipulated that the arriving unit also had to be from this formation.

Edit: Do the Tacticals get ObSec? I'm not really clear on what does and what doesn't these days.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

ineptmule posted:

Ah, I misread - I thought it stipulated that the arriving unit also had to be from this formation.

Edit: Do the Tacticals get ObSec? I'm not really clear on what does and what doesn't these days.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Objective secured:
All troops units from this formation have the objective secured special rule (see page blah blah)

Tactical Space Marines are a Troops unit.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Cataphract posted:

Drop pods are open topped and are therefore assault vehicles.

Drop Pods are the exact opposite of assault vehicles, actually. They have a rule specifically disallowing assaults. As the rule for the formation doesn't specifically override the Drop Pod restrictions, they can't assault. It's also questionable if you can say that the Dreads deep striked.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
That formation is expensive but at least the units aren't completely garbage. You can give those tactical squads 2 flamers and a heavy flamer and have the storm Raven deal with vehicles while the marines incinerate the occupants.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Honestly that Formation is another reason why the Death Company unit from the Deathstorm box is actually a good buy. Gives you a Troop DC unit and allows them to get in combat and avoid the awkward turn or two of shooting. I like that unlike the Tyranid which waited almost a year for an apology expansion, Blood Angels get a lackluster codex and immediately are receiving fixes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If they had any sense they'd release a formation for the Space Hulk Terminators and Librarian.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

LordAba posted:

This. Way to stick it to the man by playing the same game with the same models. I hate pop music! That's why I torrent Britney Spears! gently caress microsoft, I'll install Windows illegally.
Recasts were your only option? You couldn't proxy ANYTHING ELSE and have the same effect? You don't think GW would go "hey, everyone loves our lictors so much they are willing to go to recasts to get them" and put a check on some column that made your moralizing in any way invalid?

Either way I don't care, but if we are being blunt... :)

EDIT: Have a picture to make up for horrible post.

If someone is going to pirate, they were not going to buy your product anyway. The best you can hope for is that they will be good advertising for you (which, with 40k is fine. People see the spectacle and are like "man this game is sooo cool! :swoon:"

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Next week on White Dwarf:

Angels fury spearhead force

Formation:
3 tactical squads
3 stormraven gunships

Restrictions:
Each stormraven gunship must include10 models. The sergeant of each tactical squad in this formation must take a teleport homer as a free upgrade. This formations tactical squads cannot take dedicated transports and must begin the game embarked in the stormraven gunships from this formation.

Special rules:

Augur triangulation:
If a friendly unit with the Blood angels faction arrives from deep strike reserve within 12" of at least two models from the formation equipped with teleport homers then it does not scatter and can charge in the same turn it arrives.

Objective secured:
All troops units from this formation have the objective secured special rule (see page blah blah)

Spearhead strike force:
When making reserve rolls make a single roll for the entire formation, which you can choose to re-reoll. If successful, all units arrive from the formation.You can make a reserve roll for this formation from the start of turn 1.

3 planes coming in on one rerolling roll with 6 obsec units jumping out is pretty strong.

The rest of it is close to being not terrible. But waiting on the planes (granted rerolling that single roll for all of them), then hoping your assault hammer unit doesn't come in so you can have them deep strike->assault turn 3 is just a bit too janky.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 16, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PierreTheMime posted:

Honestly that Formation is another reason why the Death Company unit from the Deathstorm box is actually a good buy. Gives you a Troop DC unit and allows them to get in combat and avoid the awkward turn or two of shooting. I like that unlike the Tyranid which waited almost a year for an apology expansion, Blood Angels get a lackluster codex and immediately are receiving fixes.

It's not so much immediately receiving fixes as it is releasing essentially compulsory day one DLC (spread across an additional £80+ of books) to fix what was deliberately broken in the codex. It's cynical as gently caress and does not bode well for future codex releases.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 16, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I agree, these 'supplements' are one of the many things that GW are doing now that are just insulting to the consumer. Wanna do the thing your army has been doing for 5 years? Buy two codexes instead of one!

It genuinely feels like they have given up on attracting new customers and have resolved to bleed their existing consumer base as hard as they can.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Naramyth posted:

If someone is going to pirate, they were not going to buy your product anyway. The best you can hope for is that they will be good advertising for you (which, with 40k is fine. People see the spectacle and are like "man this game is sooo cool! :swoon:"

3 planes coming in on one rerolling roll with 6 obsec units jumping out is pretty strong.

The rest of it is close to being not terrible. But waiting on the planes (granted rerolling that single roll for all of them), then hoping your assault hammer unit doesn't come in so you can have them deep strike->assault turn 3 is just a bit too janky.

Can't you start the stormravens on the board in hover mode?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Naramyth posted:

If someone is going to pirate, they were not going to buy your product anyway. The best you can hope for is that they will be good advertising for you (which, with 40k is fine. People see the spectacle and are like "man this game is

It would be pretty janky except that they can (and probably will) come in on turn 1, meaning that your reservists can start assaulting on turn 2. Captain Karlaen can help you make sure that you make your reserves rolls and an assault terminator squad with a banner and Karlaen attached wouldn't be too shabby to deep strike in. I was thinking of also running some Death Company with jump packs to deep strike in as well.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 16, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

I agree, these 'supplements' are one of the many things that GW are doing now that are just insulting to the consumer. Wanna do the thing your army has been doing for 5 years? Buy two codexes instead of one!

The only thing that could assault after deep striking was vanguard veterans and the second 'codex' you have to buy in this case is a four dollar magazine that you can probably get for free if you ask your store owner nicely. Congrats on being bitter about a situation you literally just made up, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ignite Memories posted:

It genuinely feels like they have given up on attracting new customers and have resolved to bleed their existing consumer base as hard as they can.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about yesterday with regards to driving people to piracy. The realisation that they have deliberately hosed the unit distribution of C:BA force new and existing players to buy the Tactical box, as well as expecting people to now spend £180 just to have the complete Blood Angels rules is stomach churning.
Reminder, this time two years ago you only needed to spend £25 to have the full rules for your army of choice.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 16, 2014

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Well if any Blood Angel goons remain who haven't been completely turned off by the new codex, I'm still looking to sell the BA half of Deathstorm.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, this is what I was talking about yesterday with regards to driving people to piracy. The realisation that they have deliberately hosed the unit distribution of C:BA to

A) Force new and existing players to buy the Tactical box
B) Force people to now spend £180 just to have the complete Blood Angels rules.

...Is stomach churning. Reminder, this time two years ago you only needed to spend £25 to have the full rules for your army of choice.

My LGS seems to have an unspoken agreement between everyone as far as the books go. Almost everyone brings a basic codex/rule book to games, but any special detachments/formations/etc from supplements are going to be on printed out PDFs for this very reason.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

serious gaylord posted:

Can't you start the stormravens on the board in hover mode?

Fliers always start off the table except for that one marine formation.

Phyresis posted:

It would be pretty janky except that they can (and probably will) come in on turn 1, meaning that your reservists can start assaulting on turn 2. Captain Karlaen can help you make sure that you make your reserves rolls and an assault terminator squad with a banner and Karlaen attached wouldn't be too shabby to deep strike in. I was thinking of also running some Death Company with jump packs to deep strike in as well.

Derp. I didn't read the last sentence. That is super good.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The only thing that could assault after deep striking was vanguard veterans and the second 'codex' you have to buy in this case is a four dollar magazine that you can probably get for free if you ask your store owner nicely. Congrats on being bitter about a situation you literally just made up, though.

Yeah, because what i'm talking about is totally limited to this one point of data, and not a recurring pattern. Need more examples? My KFFs got nerfed and then Oh! What A Surprise! The real kustom force field has rules right here in this 50 dollar book that we totally could not have fit into the normal ork codex. Tyranids can't use their spore pods anymore!? Oh, awesome, they totally can now that we've changed them to invalidate the homebrew models you converted! Just buy our magazine! I'd ask for a free one, of course, but then I would be depriving GW of the white dwarf money they so richly deserve, which makes me an entitled selfish buttface.

Can you lay off the kool aid for five loving seconds and realize that they're charging people for poo poo they shouldn't be charging people for? Do you really see nothing shady about forcing assault marines out of the troops section, when having assault marines as troops is the Primary loving Motivation for owning a BA army? Can you comprehend that people know when they're being fleeced, and that they don't like it?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 16, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

KFFs weren't nerfed in any way fixed by the Ghaz book? They went from a 5+ cover save to a 5+ invuln save.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It used to be 4+ save, then it wasn't, now it is again for an extra $50

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

KFFs weren't nerfed in any way fixed by the Ghaz book? They went from a 5+ cover save to a 5+ invuln save.

Yeah but it no longer provides a save for the entire unit, just models within 6". Which is a sideways nerf; on one hand it's an invuln now, but the range has been shortened considerably.

Like, a lot of what GW has been doing for the past few books is invalidating a lot of old tactics and army lists, which has pissed off a lot of players. An ork speed freaks list consisting entirely of bikes is now impossible unless you either go Unbound (which good loving luck getting someone to agree to that) or take that FW Dread Mob character (and that runs into the "NO FORGEWORLD EVER" crowd). Similarly, AM-focused Blood Angels armies, as well as dreadnought ones, are nigh-on impossible with the base book; you either have to get that brand-spanking-new supplement with the 14 loving elite slot for dreads (and even then you're limited to 6), go Unbound, or take two CADs and fill up your 6 FA slots with assault marines.

It's cynical bullshit and frustrating as all hell because they are deliberately taking old choices out and repackaging them somewhere else, meaning you need to carry EVEN MORE poo poo to the table in an already-crowded space.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 16, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

It used to be 4+ save, then it wasn't, now it is again for an extra $50

It was a 5+ in 4th edition, a 4+ in 5th edition, a 5+ in 6th edition, and a 5+ in 7th before the Ork codex. Where was the change made?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Ignite Memories posted:

Can you lay off the kool aid for five loving seconds

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

yes, I am SUPER NEAT TOY.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It was a 5+ in 4th edition, a 4+ in 5th edition, a 5+ in 6th edition, and a 5+ in 7th before the Ork codex. Where was the change made?

Are you saying the statute of limitations on a nerf is 2 years? What are you trying to say exactly? It's not like orks got a new codex between 4th and 7th edition.

edit: oh, and lest I forget, the KFF doesn't work in vehicles anymore, unless you buy the one we generously mounted on a walker for $105 USD.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 16, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

Are you saying the statute of limitations on a nerf is 2 years? What are you trying to say exactly? It's not like orks got a new codex between 4th and 7th edition.

edit: oh, and lest I forget, the KFF doesn't work in vehicles anymore, unless you buy the one we generously mounted on a walker for $105 USD.

You're saying they nefariously changed the way cover works in 6th edition in order to shake down Ork players an edition later?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

No, he's saying that the change was made before the 7E codex, and you seem to be implying that 7e nerfed it with the intention of 'fixing' it in an add-on. But the 7e codex didn't make the change, so it doesn't follow to say that the 7e codex made it lovely to sell an add-on codex. Likewise, the supplement didn't change the actual nerf to KFF (affecting models and not units).

Regardless, who the gently caress doesn't expect poo poo to change from codex to codex? That's the point of releasing new books. What add-on supplement has actually meaningfully improved upon the base codex? They're entirely optional and in most cases are barely even side-grades when compared to the basic books.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

What add-on supplement has actually meaningfully improved upon the base codex?

Tyranids.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm saying they drat well recognized that Thing™ wasn't very good anymore, and rather than address that with the next codex, they started marketing Thing Classic™.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

And I think you're a crazy man. One look at the list of new models that are DOA is enough to prove that GW doesn't release tie good rules into sales.

Slimnoid posted:

Tyranids.

Shield of Baal only really adds the detachment and formations. The new model Dataslates are all free and that was the meat of last month.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ignite Memories posted:

I dunno. They've been putting out reasonably priced army deals, and the new LE starter sets are really nice and great values. The expansion bloat is a real pain and strain if you're a completionist, but I have yet to feel the need to get any supplements for my three armies.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

MasterSlowPoke posted:

And I think you're a crazy man. One look at the list of new models that are DOA is enough to prove that GW doesn't release tie good rules into sales.

Shield of Baal only really adds the detachment and formations. The new model Dataslates are all free and that was the meat of last month.

Before that the Tyranid codes was trash and the Dataslates like Skyblight gave them at least something competitive. Tyranid apology month has made them much more attractive.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Tyranids.

it was truly nefarious of GW to release a mediocre codex and then improve it with new rules they release for free. will they stop at nothing?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I thought Deathstorm was a good starter set for BA and Nids, which is why I bought it. I'm still happy with the Nid side, but everything to do with the Blood Angels component has left me feeling like I've been taken for a fool. That isn't the feeling a customer of a reputable business should be left with.

If I were a new player who bought Deathstorm as an intro to the game and specifically for the Blood Angels I would be absolutely gutted.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Lots and lots of lame GW chat in here so here are some models because I finally got off my rear end and finished painting something.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 16, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I thought Deathstorm was a good starter set for BA and Nids, which is why I bought it. I'm still happy with the Nid side, but everything to do with the Blood Angels component has left me feeling like I've been taken for a fool. That isn't the feeling a customer of a reputable business should be left with.

If I were a new player who bought Deathstorm as an intro to the game and specifically for the Blood Angels I would be absolutely gutted.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'm really interested in learning what the Flesh Tearers and Blood Angels 2nd company detachments are.

Exinos posted:

Before that the Tyranid codes was trash and the Dataslates like Skyblight gave them at least something competitive. Tyranid apology month has made them much more attractive.

Most of the cool new stuff is outside of the books, though. The new units are free. Skytyrant is fun and the new detachment is neat, but neither are necessary to run Tyranids.

• Locked thread