Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yvonmukluk posted:

A concept for future Molly from Runaways from a mock cover they did for a letters page:

An improvement over the Battle of the Atom version, right?

Thoughts?

Her forearms :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's called perspective.

Specifically, terribly done perspective.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I didn't like the idea of Molly actually being physically buff, since her powers are psychic.

Maybe she works out for health reasons.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Happy Hippo posted:

Her forearms :psyduck:

To be fair, I guess they could fix that ghastly foreshortening somewhat in the inking phase.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, I was browsing the internet and found some stuff that looks interesting:

A concept from the original plan for Spider-Girl #60 which was at one point thought to be the last Spider-Girl story, for a flashforward with her brother as Spider-Man.

Also, this:

This was apparently supposed to be a 'mirror universe' Spider-Girl. Which I suppose works as she's certainly rather opposite to Spider-Girl. I think it might be a bit much for the '90s bad girl' scale, though.

I always really liked the Spider-Girl series. I stopped reading around the second or third time it was brought back from cancellation. I'm assuming it was eventually buried for good?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I always really liked the Spider-Girl series. I stopped reading around the second or third time it was brought back from cancellation. I'm assuming it was eventually buried for good?

Hmm, I just noticed that she's wearing a buttcape... it's descending from the hips instead of the shoulders, presumably to make sure that sweet backpiece gets exposure.

Good god I'd trying to logic out superhero costuming. :suicide:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, it had the first #100-issue run, then Amazing Spider-Girl, then Spectacular Spider-Girl (well 2 runs of it), before wrapping it up (well, with an open end for the possibility of continuation) with a The End one-shot to provide some closure. Then, because Dan Slott apparently hates me personally, she was brought back for Spider-Verse to kill off her parents (AKA a large chunk of what made her book great) and to turn her brother into a living MacGuffin while she apparently exists to either run away from or get smacked down with apparently little effort by the plot devicesvillains of the story. But she gets a one-shot story by her original creative team later on, so I guess that's nice.

Yes, I am slightly bitter, why do you ask?

But enough about that, let's talk costumes!

For instance, what the gently caress is going on with Lady Shiva in the New 52?

I mean, granted she's had some :wtf: costumes, that cleavage-tastic one from I think the end of Cassgirl's series, for instance, but nothing so bizarre as that.

Edit:Did a GIS for 'Lady Shiva' for references and found this. :stonk: Now share my pain. :unsmigghh:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, this:

Costume Thread: The Boob Doorway of Opportunity

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hmm, I just noticed that she's wearing a buttcape... it's descending from the hips instead of the shoulders, presumably to make sure that sweet backpiece gets exposure.

Good god I'd trying to logic out superhero costuming. :suicide:

Is that a back cutout to display a big spider tattoo? Interesting, but it'd make keeping the ol' secret identity tough.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Selachian posted:

Is that a back cutout to display a big spider tattoo? Interesting, but it'd make keeping the ol' secret identity tough.

Since the Mirror Spidey didn't bother with a mask either (they actually showed this alternate universe in a previous issue), I guess they don't give a poo poo about secret IDs on Mirror MC2. Apparently she was meant to be raised by Kaine, which explains the trenchcoat connection. Although it makes the bizarrely sexualised getup extra creepy.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

For instance, what the gently caress is going on with Lady Shiva in the New 52?

Well, she's covered in latex from head to toe and she's wearing a corset with a built-in bra... Obviously, the Nu52 Lady Shiva supports herself by working as a fetish model.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does not wearing a costume count as a costume?

I just ask as an excuse to post this from Generation Hope #12.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Selachian posted:

Not wearing any type of mask might also make that a little difficult.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Does not wearing a costume count as a costume?

I just ask as an excuse to post this from Generation Hope #12.

Rockslide no! That's sexual harassment! :ohdear:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

SynthOrange posted:

Rockslide no! That's sexual harassment! :ohdear:

No it's cool he doesn't have any junk.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I love how in every panel as she realises what joke he's making she covers up with her arms. What's the best stuff Rockslide was in/features prominently in?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If I had the power to make plates appear around my dick I'd still loving wear pants in public.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pierson posted:

I love how in every panel as she realises what joke he's making she covers up with her arms. What's the best stuff Rockslide was in/features prominently in?

Prominently? He was in Kyle & Yost's New X-Men a lot. It wasn't too bad once you get past the Death Bus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If I had the power to make plates appear around my dick I'd still loving wear pants in public.

"But she's a hot teenage girrrrrl and we need the book to selllllll"

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Pierson posted:

The X-Cops story in the To Serve And Protect mini, from 2010.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love that he wore a mask so he had plausible deniability that it was Onyxx, the other rock kid who shows up in backgrounds and never does anything of note. Though of course he just wore it because it looks cool.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I love that he wore a mask so he had plausible deniability that it was Onyxx, the other rock kid who shows up in backgrounds and never does anything of note. Though of course he just wore it because it looks cool.

Well, he does give Anole a (fake) copstache to keep his identity safe, too.

(Textboxes are Santo's internal dialogue)(click for readable size)

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Well, he does give Anole a (fake) copstache to keep his identity safe, too.

Rockslide is also wearing a fake mustache underneath the mask. You only see it in one small panel, but he's definitely wearing it.

X-Dudes is really good is what I'm saying.

"I'm a genius. Like Tony Stark or Reed Richards but if they were awesome."

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 17, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

Rockslide is also wearing a fake mustache underneath the mask. You only see it in one small panel, but he's definitely wearing it.

X-Dudes is really good is what I'm saying.

"I'm a genius. Like Tony Stark or Reed Richards but if they were awesome."

Bloody hell, I *knew* I saw a mustache on him, but I couldn't find it on a quick search for an earlier forums post.

Looks like I have to reread that story again! :dance:

Unrelated Rockslide awesomeness.

(From the Fear Itself event, when Juggernaut got all hammered-up and was heading to Frisco.)

Rerailing to costumery, has Emma Frost been revealed to be a Skrull or something? If there's one person you'd figure would absolutely *not* recycle someone else's rig...

(EF, post A vs X)

(Regan "Lady Mastermind" Wyngarde, when she joined the X-Men before/during the Children Of The Vault arc.)

Maybe Bachalo just likes sternums? During the big X-Men/Marauders fight on Muir Island at the end of Messiah Complex, X-23 gets her uniform ripped open in the same manner by Lady Deathstrike.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've seen that panel a bunch, what are the 37+ plans for anyway?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I've seen that panel a bunch, what are the 37+ plans for anyway?

I think they are trying to break through a forcefield during Fear Itself.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

(From the Fear Itself event, when Juggernaut got all hammered-up and was heading to Frisco.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody hell, I *knew* I saw a mustache on him, but I couldn't find it on a quick search for an earlier forums post.

Looks like I have to reread that story again! :dance:

Unrelated Rockslide awesomeness.

Rerailing to costumery, has Emma Frost been revealed to be a Skrull or something? If there's one person you'd figure would absolutely *not* recycle someone else's rig...

(EF, post A vs X)

(Regan "Lady Mastermind" Wyngarde, when she joined the X-Men before/during the Children Of The Vault arc.)

Maybe Bachalo just likes sternums? During the big X-Men/Marauders fight on Muir Island at the end of Messiah Complex, X-23 gets her uniform ripped open in the same manner by Lady Deathstrike.

He just likes very perky breasts. Nothing wrong with that.

(If I was d00gz, I would call them unnaturally perky.)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

To be more specific, he had an evil thor-style hammer on top of his regular Juggernaut powers and was EXTRA unstoppable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

He just likes very perky breasts. Nothing wrong with that.

(If I was d00gz, I would call them unnaturally perky.)

Those things aren't "perky", they look like early 90s implants that were put in 4 inches too high by mistake.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
It's not just tits - this is comics, spandex unstable molecules mean it's very apparent that they're mammalian - it's the six-to-eight-inch-wide strip removed from the middle of the front side. It's like Bachalo said "Boob *window*? gently caress no, boob floor-to-ceiling picture window!"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

At least that alternate Spider-girl design wore a bra with her Boob Doorway outfit.
I guess unstable molecules are like double-sided sticky-tape?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

At least that alternate Spider-girl design wore a bra with her Boob Doorway outfit.
I guess unstable molecules are like double-sided sticky-tape?

Maybe it's cloned symbiont tissue? "Lifts, separates and grips!" (Also used for cheeky Ms Marvel and She-Hulk suits.)(Cue Moonstone griping about waxing and riding up in Dark Avengers.)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Spider-Woman's getting a new look which I think is pretty neat:

Having the sunglasses pop out into face-mask mode seems kind of silly and I'm not entirely sure I understand the purpose, but ... I do like the callback to her old mask. I just don't understand. I dig the wings as an optional part of the outfit. Having something that can make the trip between street wear and hero wear is a cool concept. I do wish the red was a little brighter though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma Frost has low level telekinesis but uses it exclusively to keep her clothes on.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Having the sunglasses pop out into face-mask mode seems kind of silly and I'm not entirely sure I understand the purpose, but ... I do like the callback to her old mask. I just don't understand. I dig the wings as an optional part of the outfit. Having something that can make the trip between street wear and hero wear is a cool concept. I do wish the red was a little brighter though.

It was about time to lose the previous one, most artists treated it as bodypaint.

But I don't like this one, the jacket is too... abstract, like from a modern cartoon. Batgirl jacket at least looks plausible.
Also she looks too much like Mockingbird, down to the glasses.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This looks cool.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I get people really wanted a change from the old suit but how did it lower the standards so much that it elevates that pile of blah from "better then nothing" to "Good"?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

(Cue Moonstone griping about waxing and riding up in Dark Avengers.)

Heh, thought I could find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."

SirDan3k posted:

I get people really wanted a change from the old suit but how did it lower the standards so much that it elevates that pile of blah from "better then nothing" to "Good"?

It's good because it actually seems like something that could be worn while still looking like a superhero.

• Locked thread