Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i don't like south park because trey and matt are insufferable IRL. the show itself is moderately funny, not genius level or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stux posted:

same actually. i like a lot of games goons say are terrible and find a lot of games goons really like are awful. i guess the take away is that goons are awful and should be destroyed.

here are some essentials for good games:

- good, colorful graphics
- should be pretty easy
- plot needs to be interesting within the first 30min
- should be SHORT, or at the very least, easy to complete
- player should know where to go next at all times
- next to no inventory management

Do these things, and thee shall have a good game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

icantfindaname posted:

i don't like south park because trey and matt are insufferable IRL. the show itself is moderately funny, not genius level or anything

yeah p much. i have always had a fondness for the duo since orgazmo but years of success have really hosed with the logic circuts in their brain and turned them into raving morons half the time, and idiot savants a third of the time

future wife and i started playing diablo 3 and i'm really glad i waited this long to try it, the ps4 version is hard to find a fault with, other than 'lots of menu time and only one person can use it at a time'. i recommend it if you're looking for a good couch co-op game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hubris.height posted:

yeah p much. i have always had a fondness for the duo since orgazmo but years of success have really hosed with the logic circuts in their brain and turned them into raving morons half the time, and idiot savants a third of the time

future wife and i started playing diablo 3 and i'm really glad i waited this long to try it, the ps4 version is hard to find a fault with, other than 'lots of menu time and only one person can use it at a time'. i recommend it if you're looking for a good couch co-op game.

i wish all games of the diablo genre controller like they do on console. clicking and waiting i find boring. but running around and hacking/slashing is dynamic and fun. if they'd bring the controller aspect to diablo3 pc itd be the best game ever

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

i wish all games of the diablo genre controller like they do on console. clicking and waiting i find boring. but running around and hacking/slashing is dynamic and fun. if they'd bring the controller aspect to diablo3 pc itd be the best game ever

yeah i still don't get why they haven't added controller support to pc, the console versions of D3 have just made it clear how loving perfect they are for consoles. controllers and multiple players on the same screen is awesome and its by far the best version of the game even if updates are slightly behind the pc version.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

- should be pretty easy

i like almost the opposite as well. but i also like games like this. i like lots of games over many genres and styles. games.

ive been playing supcom again after grabbing 1, the expansion and 2 together and its great. it may take hours to finish missions and games but the huge scale is so much fun and the massive fights rule. also cool that it is more macro than micro based so i don't have to be clicking around like an idiot and worrying about apm, you can chill out and just work on grand strategy instead.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Inquisition is basically Skyrim with good combat

quoting from page 19 but don't even kid yourself retard

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
comedy is objective

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

exquisite tea posted:

- should be pretty easy

Shallow games for retards basically. I'm pressing F to pay respects to this good post.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i play candy crush

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

DA:I is some seriously good poo poo.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Whose dick do I gotta suck to make another Devil Dice / Bombastic (best puzzle games ever) happen?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Virtually all of the truly great, or at the very least memorable, games that I have played have generally been ones that have divided opinions about them. Aiming for mass appeal just means that you're compromising something along the way to get the most people to like it. Not all people are the same, and not all people like the same things. There's a certain commonality among what people do like, but pandering to that just ends up being that - pandering.

Games like Deadly Premonition, Stalker, or other obscure often obtuse games are not everyone's cup of tea, but they don't have to be - provided they're aware of the audience they want and do things that will appeal to that audience they don't need mass appeal because you can't please everyone, so why even bother trying? I'd rather have a very deep, well crafted game that appeals to a niche audience than a shallow popcorn fest that appeals to everyone.

If a certain percentage of people don't like your game, you're probably not doing something right.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

net cafe scandal posted:

DA:I is some seriously good poo poo.

i didnt say it wasnt

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ddraig posted:

Virtually all of the truly great, or at the very least memorable, games that I have played have generally been ones that have divided opinions about them. Aiming for mass appeal just means that you're compromising something along the way to get the most people to like it. Not all people are the same, and not all people like the same things. There's a certain commonality among what people do like, but pandering to that just ends up being that - pandering.

Games like Deadly Premonition, Stalker, or other obscure often obtuse games are not everyone's cup of tea, but they don't have to be - provided they're aware of the audience they want and do things that will appeal to that audience they don't need mass appeal because you can't please everyone, so why even bother trying? I'd rather have a very deep, well crafted game that appeals to a niche audience than a shallow popcorn fest that appeals to everyone.

If a certain percentage of people don't like your game, you're probably not doing something right.

Game Informer does a 'Sacred Cow' article every so often where they take beloved games/franchises and just poo poo all over them, sometimes justified. Last month's issue had this and it banged on about Dark Souls, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, etc. The criticism they spat, while hilarious, was sometimes pretty drat valid depending on the game. We should just have a thread where people are allowed to levy harsh words against popular titles without getting shouted down. Could be funny.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Whose dick do I gotta suck to make another Devil Dice / Bombastic (best puzzle games ever) happen?

*raises hand*

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

Game Informer does a 'Sacred Cow' article every so often where they take beloved games/franchises and just poo poo all over them, sometimes justified. Last month's issue had this and it banged on about Dark Souls, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, etc. The criticism they spat, while hilarious, was sometimes pretty drat valid depending on the game. We should just have a thread where people are allowed to levy harsh words against popular titles without getting shouted down. Could be funny.

while a good idea in theory such a thread would become terrible very quickly

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stux posted:

while a good idea in theory such a thread would become terrible very quickly

Yeah probably. Such is Games.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

If that's an accurate statement then I guess I can cross the game off my "want" list. Really didn't enjoy Skyrim.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah probably. Such is Games.

i cant even imagine it surviving after the first mention of say bioshock infinite or dark souls. it would be unrecoverable.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stux posted:

i cant even imagine it surviving after the first mention of say bioshock infinite or dark souls. it would be unrecoverable.

Bioshock Infinite was boring and pretentious though..

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

Bioshock Infinite was boring and pretentious though..

i know that but people loved it and thought it was "deep" and so will write diatribes to defend it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheHoosier posted:

I don't really like that, picking an ignored game and promoting that is much more interesting than the millionth "Was Final Fantasy VII really that good" piece.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

I don't really like that, picking an ignored game and promoting that is much more interesting than the millionth "Was Final Fantasy VII really that good" piece.

i think both have their place, but there are some games which dont need another article about why they werent very good in reality like you say

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
On the topic of ignored games, for the love of god, please buy these if you even sort of like puzzle games.

http://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3

(start with the second game, the first one has bad level design because it was all made by one guy)

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

Yeah you're right. Like Stux said it would devolve into poo poo real quick. I just think it's funny to watch people be absolutely aghast that you think Dark Souls has clunky as gently caress combat and sacrifices legit compelling gameplay to take advantage of the masochist tendencies of sperglords.

SA has always been good about promoting hidden gems, in my opinion. I've tried out games I would have never thought to thanks to people actually speaking up about them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah you're right. Like Stux said it would devolve into poo poo real quick. I just think it's funny to watch people be absolutely aghast that you think Dark Souls has clunky as gently caress combat and sacrifices legit compelling gameplay to take advantage of the masochist tendencies of sperglords.

SA has always been good about promoting hidden gems, in my opinion. I've tried out games I would have never thought to thanks to people actually speaking up about them.

dark souls is good though

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stux posted:

dark souls is good though

It is. That's the kind of poo poo those articles do, though. I think there was an issue a few years ago that shat all over Chrono Trigger, while offering disclaimer that they love the game and it's just for fun.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i would rather dark souls didnt exist because then there wouldnt be two pages of dark souls every time someone namedrops it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
from software please make the following:

dune souls
monster rancher souls
mother souls

tia

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheHoosier posted:

It is. That's the kind of poo poo those articles do, though. I think there was an issue a few years ago that shat all over Chrono Trigger, while offering disclaimer that they love the game and it's just for fun.

That's clickbait, though. It'd be bad on a discussion board.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

dune souls
monster rancher souls
mother souls

tia

from software please make the following

metal wolf chaos 2

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

dune souls
monster rancher souls
mother souls

tia
I want to see Souls get annualized ala COD and Assassin's Creed, just for the internet reactions.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Bioshock Infinite is poo poo. The combat sucks (oh boy, Uncharted style waves of enemies / shooting galleries!), the world feels dead (I love being stared at by NCP that I can't interact with after they read their one line), the story and themes loving blow (OMG the resistence is just as bad as the oligarchy!)

They removed everything that made Looking Glass-style games interesting and replaced it with poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stux posted:

from software please make the following

metal wolf chaos 2
Or just make a PC port of the original and release it on Steam, because I want to play the drat thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hog Inspector posted:

i would rather dark souls didnt exist because then there wouldnt be two pages of dark souls every time someone namedrops it

Dark Souls, an okay game, but not as good as Gone Home or the ending to Mass Effect 3.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
Does there exist a Garry's Mod Mega Thread?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Dark Souls, an okay game, but not as good as Gone Home or the ending to Mass Effect 3.

The ending of Mass Effect 3 is incredibly good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

where do david cage games fit in your hierarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

That's clickbait, though. It'd be bad on a discussion board.

I'd expect SA to be a little better at it. You can be funny and still offer damning points for otherwise solid titles.

Dwarf Fortress loving sucks.

• Locked thread