Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

Dwarf Fortress loving sucks.
Its UI sure does, I don't think anybody sane's gonna deny that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alain Post posted:

The ending of Mass Effect 3 is incredibly good.

Like many I thought they were whack at first, but for the amount of hilarious goonrage they caused, they are now, without exaggeration, awesome.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Uncharted is like if you sucked all the charm out of Indiana Jones and replaced globetrotting adventure and two-fisted pulpy action with an mindnumbingly and seemingly endless shooting gallery of bullet sponges.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've beaten Dark Souls and I had some enjoyment, but I don't get why people think its that great. Most of the challenge came from all the game mechanics/items/etc made to be obtuse. There are definitely some good things about the game, but I've never really understood why people think its great.

I guess the only real reason I can see that it is treated as great is because its one of the few modern games that doesn't really hold you hand. I can see an argument made for that, but as far as the game itself goes, eh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Like many I thought they were whack at first, but for the amount of hilarious goonrage they caused, they are now, without exaggeration, awesome.

It is undeniably whack, but a major-publisher game doing something that actually irrecoverably tears down the universe of an IP that could otherwise be milked for the next decade is very ballsy and admirable.

Which is why they took it back in the inexplicably well-received extended cut, and are now releasing a fourth game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

from software please make the following

metal wolf chaos 2

oh hell yes

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

It is undeniably whack, but a major-publisher game doing something that actually irrecoverably tears down the universe of an IP that could otherwise be milked for the next decade is very ballsy and admirable.

Which is why they took it back in the inexplicably well-received extended cut, and are now releasing a fourth game.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm pretty unfamiliar with game-making process. Do they like, focus test game endings like some movie productions do? I've heard of plenty of movie endings getting changed to placate whiny focus groups, but do games do this too? Because c'mon man. C'mon. Whack.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

half the time in DS2 I felt like I was fighting the camera. I guess that is immersive as in a fight you cant see everything but ungh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheHoosier posted:

This is probably a stupid question but I'm pretty unfamiliar with game-making process. Do they like, focus test game endings like some movie productions do? I've heard of plenty of movie endings getting changed to placate whiny focus groups, but do games do this too? Because c'mon man. C'mon. Whack.

They changed it post-release because everyone hated it. There were lots of reasons for this, some of which were valid (because, yeah, they were really poorly written in part), and some of which were silly, so I don't really want to like, generalize the response or anything.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eonwe posted:

I've beaten Dark Souls and I had some enjoyment, but I don't get why people think its that great. Most of the challenge came from all the game mechanics/items/etc made to be obtuse. There are definitely some good things about the game, but I've never really understood why people think its great.

I guess the only real reason I can see that it is treated as great is because its one of the few modern games that doesn't really hold you hand. I can see an argument made for that, but as far as the game itself goes, eh.

real answer? because its basically super metroid the RPG.

edit: clarification: solid systems which rely on the player to figure them out with a story that is inferred/discovered rather than told directly and a layer of mystery to exploring and finding stuff. you can also take many different routes and beat everything at level 1 giving it replay value in different self set challenges etc.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

They changed it post-release because everyone hated it. There were lots of reasons for this, some of which were valid (because, yeah, they were really poorly written in part), and some of which were silly, so I don't really want to like, generalize the response or anything.

Yeah I know that, I mean did they test the original ending with focus groups? The vanilla ending made it into release, whereas some movies had their ending changed before release due to test groups going :wtc:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Eonwe posted:

It's extremely old-school and people like that in this current era where it seems like every single game is trying to turn into Assassin's Creed-esque "death by a thousand map icons".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

Valve games are HEAVILY tested by throwing random passers-by, visitors from forums etc. at them and seeing what annoys them. This always invokes internet grumbling when the developer commentary brings up something that got changed (usually for the simpler-but-better) because of those goddamn idiot testers :argh:.

That's not necessarily plot, though. Usually it's game and level design.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah I know that, I mean did they test the original ending with focus groups? The vanilla ending made it into release, whereas some movies had their ending changed before release due to test groups going :wtc:

Oh, no, I really doubt it. Word was that it was all really rushed to meet a release date, and it feels like it. The whole last level on earth just has this vague feeling that something went wrong during development.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ill try DS2 again over the holidays.

I believe in myself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

Ill try DS2 again over the holidays.

I believe in myself.

use the lock on on most things other than bigger bosses where you'll want to switch between locking on and unlocking due to their size. bigger enemies usually have multiple lock on points so you can usually find one that works for the arena.

some people prefer DS1 as its more open, but its also easier to get lost as gently caress and fight through hard stuff only to discover its too early to go there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Alain Post posted:

Control is a legit good endstate for Mass Effect and makes the most sense thematically. It would also result in the coolest post-Shepard galaxy, but most Bioware fans hate it because there's no possibility of marrying Tali as they do in their dreams. So for the next game we'll probably get some combination of Destroy and Synthesis at the starting line, assuming they reference the endings at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Control is a legit good endstate for Mass Effect and makes the most sense thematically. It would also result in the coolest post-Shepard galaxy, but most Bioware fans hate it because there's no possibility of marrying Tali as they do in their dreams. So for the next game we'll probably get some combination of Destroy and Synthesis at the starting line, assuming they reference the endings at all.

The thing that makes the most sense thematically in all three endings was blowing up the Mass Relays, which people also hated. I believe the endings specifically show the relays being reconstructed in the EC, which I hate and it's complete bullshit. God drat.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

TheHoosier posted:

Story is the absolute last priority in 95% of all game development, and they're almost always developed in chronological order (early areas first, endgame last). So if your game is rushed, the ending is going to suffer the most.

Valve is the only company that does any kind of serious focus testing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stux posted:

use the lock on on most things other than bigger bosses where you'll want to switch between locking on and unlocking due to their size. bigger enemies usually have multiple lock on points so you can usually find one that works for the arena.

some people prefer DS1 as its more open, but its also easier to get lost as gently caress and fight through hard stuff only to discover its too early to go there.

I have both on the PC and a exbox controller. I was attempting 2 because I thought it had slightly battery QOL improvements and was a better port?

Also getting Madden 2015 for the PS3 to play with my 8 year old son. I am pumped. Hes finally getting old enough to play games pretty well.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Story is the absolute last priority in 95% of all game development, and they're almost always developed in chronological order (early areas first, endgame last). So if your game is rushed, the ending is going to suffer the most.

Valve is the only company that does any kind of serious focus testing.

That makes sense. Must suck to be in game development, or at least far less awesome than it seems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

The thing that makes the most sense thematically in all three endings was blowing up the Mass Relays, which people also hated. I believe the endings specifically show the relays being reconstructed in the EC, which I hate and it's complete bullshit. God drat.

I always thought the ending to the whole series was going to come down to the mass relays themselves, rather than synthetics vs. organics. A choice where Destroy kills the Reapers but also all the relays while Control preserves them but at the ominous cost of maintaining the cycle would have been a more natural fit. Anyway this conversation has been had a million times, but out of what we got, a God-Shepard roaming around the galaxy as a scary-rear end arbiter of peace is definitely the coolest option.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Procedurally generated persistent world free to play dota-like

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

real answer? because its basically super metroid the RPG.

edit: clarification: solid systems which rely on the player to figure them out with a story that is inferred/discovered rather than told directly and a layer of mystery to exploring and finding stuff. you can also take many different routes and beat everything at level 1 giving it replay value in different self set challenges etc.

This actually makes perfect sense

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

TheHoosier posted:

That makes sense. Must suck to be in game development, or at least far less awesome than it seems.

The hardest part is managing disappointment. No game ever turns out the way the developer wanted. If you can ever get a look at the briefs that studios pitch to publishers, the final products barely resemble them at all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

Must suck to be in game development, or at least far less awesome than it seems.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

I have both on the PC and a exbox controller. I was attempting 2 because I thought it had slightly battery QOL improvements and was a better port?

Also getting Madden 2015 for the PS3 to play with my 8 year old son. I am pumped. Hes finally getting old enough to play games pretty well.

DS2 is def a better port no question, but with DSfix and a controller DS1 is fine, its just that without the mod its a bit fucky and KB+M is terrible on it. really it depends what you think is going to grab you better. DS2 is "open world" but is a spoke style layout where you will generally get on one path and kinda just follow it through a couple of areas until you hit a boss, then go back to the hub and go down another route. DS1 is far more open and explorable (it doesnt get fast travel until half way through BUT there are tons of shortcuts instead) but this can lead to you not being 100% clear where to go next and going through areas you dont need to or cant progress in yet. most souls fans prefer DS1, DS2 is a bit easier though at least to start with and it does have more quality of life improvements.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

precision posted:

Procedurally generated persistent world free to play dota-like

And minecraft somewhere. You guys I thought lords of the fallen was gonna be poo poo but the more I play it the more it clicks, and I already sequence broke a boss on accident and got a poo poo ton of sicknasty runed gear. Dark souls didn't click till like Duke so it makes sense. It even has a few quality of life improvements over ds2.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Is Elite: Dangerous worth buying y/n? Not going to ask in the thread because threads are always full of super fans.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
everyone does threads/articles where they poo poo on stuff. arent we tired of that? wouldnt it be far more interesting to read threads where people talk about games they like, no matter what game, if they gave full on proper reasons? wy we gotta be so negative? this life is great and there are so many games to enjoy

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

everyone does threads/articles where they poo poo on stuff. arent we tired of that? wouldnt it be far more interesting to read threads where people talk about games they like, no matter what game, if they gave full on proper reasons? wy we gotta be so negative? this life is great and there are so many games to enjoy

We're are in the mode of making GBS threads on everything because we used to be in a mode of praising everything even when the game was terrible, leading people to make poor purchases. Those people became jaded and now post about how much they hate stuff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Adam Bowen posted:

Is Elite: Dangerous worth buying y/n? Not going to ask in the thread because threads are always full of super fans.

I've talked to some of my friends on steam who own it and consensus is that its not worth it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wait for Star Citizen instead, as that will be the greatest game ever released.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

We're are in the mode of making GBS threads on everything because we used to be in a mode of praising everything even when the game was terrible, leading people to make poor purchases. Those people became jaded and now post about how much they hate stuff.

this makes me sad. i've loved just about every game ive ever played. at least something has really, really interested me and i can always find something positive to take away from a game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I'm replaying the original Mass Effect now, which is a really good game. But the way I play ME is a little different than most. The way I play it is "did I make a good Shepard face?" simulator, which I then spend the next 30 hours traversing across the cosmos and different dialogue/lighting environments trying to figure out. If I have succeeded, I then promote that face to Mass Effect 2, and so on. I think my current Shepard is my finest work yet, although the lips are a tad too big.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Eonwe posted:

I've talked to some of my friends on steam who own it and consensus is that its not worth it.

Oh well, I already bought it. I figure it's my duty since I love spaceship games and there hasn't been a spaceship game in forever.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

VideoGames posted:

Well sure. I think Titanfall is a lot of goddamn fun. It's fast-paced and playing as a Titan is awesome when two of you meet in the middle, dash forward, and start punching the gently caress out of each other waiting for the execution sequence. Maybe it's not worth $60 but I've have nothing but a good time with it.

Edit: Also I guess they aren't everyone's cup of tea but most of the Paradox lineup is amazing. Crusader Kings, Victoria, Hearts of Iron... sometimes there's nothing more satisfying than winning an impossible war or replacing the Pope with a syphilis-ridden paranoid schizophrenic who is third-generation inbred. Sure it's just a lot of watching time go by and waiting for event windows to appear, but damnit they're amazing games.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 16, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

exquisite tea posted:

although the lips are a tad too big.
the bioware curse

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I dunno you get kind of jaded when you buy 60 bucks triple A super star title that gets hyped to hell by dewrito journalism and turns out to be a massive disappointment. On the other hand I played Alien: Isolation recently that had pretty much everything against it and it was easily my GOTY. People who complain that games are somehow worse than in the past are full of poo poo, always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

Oh well, I already bought it. I figure it's my duty since I love spaceship games and there hasn't been a spaceship game in forever.

for what its worth i know quite a few people who are loving it, consensus is though that you need to play it with a controller at a minimum if not a flight stick.

• Locked thread