Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Vladimir Putin posted:

There a bill that just came up from Congress imposing further sanctions on Russia. Supposedly Obama said he was going to sign it. That would probably destroy an already reeling Russian economy and send it into further freefall.

Holy poo poo. Where did you get that information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The spread between buy and sell is huge. I wonder if thats reflective of the panic thats setting in and that the drop has more to go.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I feel very sorry for the Russian People.

I don't feel very sorry for the oligarchs.

Sadly, I know which will be hurt worse.

That being said, you think those Russian jet flights are coupled with backchannel threats from Putin?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
you should ignore anyone that tries to talk about game theory. hth in future d&d squabbles.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Holy poo poo. Where did you get that information?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/15/russia-sanctions-congress-obama_n_6331154.html

Ugg I don't know how I feel about this. Do we kick people when they are down?

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

TheSpookyDanger posted:

You literally quoted it in your first response to me.

FYI you're question about 5% is invalid. Do some reading. No, in fact read a lot, then ask a question that is worth of a proper answer.
It's the same as asking why the sky is an apple.

born on a buy you posted:

you should ignore anyone that tries to talk about game theory. hth in future d&d squabbles.

It's not a discussion about it. It's a comparison. We were talking about taking action or doing nothing.

VoltairePunk fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 16, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

There a bill that just came up from Congress imposing further sanctions on Russia. Supposedly Obama said he was going to sign it. That would probably destroy an already reeling Russian economy and send it into further freefall.

Do you have a link? It would be the ultimate troll and exactly the kind of thing that a fascist Russian state in 2025 would bitterly recall.

Then again, I'm not sure the US could have that much impact on the Russian economy as it doesn't have that much of a stake in it to begin with.

e: so Obama's not actually going to sign it?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

Do you have a link? It would be the ultimate troll and exactly the kind of thing that a fascist Russian state in 2025 would bitterly recall.

Then again, I'm not sure the US could have that much impact on the Russian economy as it doesn't have that much of a stake in it to begin with.

I think maybe the smart thing is to extract concessions over Ukraine or else he'll sign it and pretty much destroy Russia.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Vladimir Putin posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/15/russia-sanctions-congress-obama_n_6331154.html

Welp. It's supported by both Republicans and Democrats. Russia is hosed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

We could start cutting their businesses off from capital markets, which would be a serious ball-kicking.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yes, we should absolutely keep poking the bear that's capable of ending the world when the us nuclear arsenal is falling the gently caress apart and the germans have a grand total of 2 whole fighter planes

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

It mostly gives Obama the option to impose more sanctions. So he is probably going to sign it and not impose them. (HR5859).
https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/5859 ---- look at the text, it's full of "the president may".

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Like I'm not saying that we should give Putin any quarter; just that you come at the tzar, you best not miss.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yes, we should absolutely keep poking the bear that's capable of ending the world when the us nuclear arsenal is falling the gently caress apart and the germans have a grand total of 2 whole fighter planes

Hey this game is for keeps.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vladimir Putin posted:

I missed the moment when Putin was brought down, I think.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Somehow I suspect the Russian nuclear arsenal is not in a better position.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Discendo Vox posted:

Somehow I suspect the Russian nuclear arsenal is not in a better position.

You'd be wrong unfortunately. Their nuclear arsenal is one thing the Russian never cut corners or try to save money on. They get all the money they need to stay functional and are constantly being modernized and upgraded.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Forgall posted:

News to me. I've checked their immigration questionnaire, best thing I could get would be temp work visa if I managed to get some company to make me a job offer first.

Depends where you're coming from and for what.

If you're under 30 and from like, Europe, the US, or anywhere in the Commonwealth you can get a free year work visa for a "working holiday". Two if you're coming from the UK, AUS/NZ, or Ireland.

I know plenty of people using that to come here, work while looking for a company to sponsor them.

Also that express entry thing starting next year for certain fields.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Baronjutter posted:

You'd be wrong unfortunately. Their nuclear arsenal is one thing the Russian never cut corners or try to save money on. They get all the money they need to stay functional and are constantly being modernized and upgraded.

That's a good thing in a way, right? I mean better keep it in good shape rather than having it rot and hoping no one notices the smell...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

"Russia is not a country with a nuclear arsenal, but a nuclear arsenal with a country"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

By contrast, ISTR the US military essentially viewing the nuclear arms of the Navy and Air Force as a cudgel to shake funding from Congress at best and a convenient dumping ground for hopeless losers at worst.

Also, you know, the lack of modern delivery systems and the inability to produce new bombs.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Hmmmm yes citizens of the Russian Federation should engage in a military occupation in the heart of Moscow. This is definitely not an idiot idea and will certainly work. What's Chechnya?

How else do you expect to topple a dictator other than armed struggle? Do you think its possible to win it democratically? To talk him out of office? To get him to renounce his power just because he's a good guy? Yeah, if it meant enough to the Russian people not to live in a nationalistic kleptocracy they would march on the Kremlin and demand Putin and his cronies step down just like the protesters at the Maidan did. It would lead to bloodshed and death without a doubt but with enough engagement and pressure they could force him out or spark a civil war. But they don't because most of them, while they were able to push weaker states around without repercussion they felt big and important about the glory of the Russian people. Now that the poo poo they threw at the fan is starting to splatter them in the face there's going to be a lot of sob stories about poor innocent Russian people not really liking Putin either and how they are prisoners in their own country. Maybe its even true for some of them, but the majority loved when Putin was slapping Russia's dick all over Georgia's and Ukraine's face and laughing so I see no reason to feel sorry for them now that they're about to get their economic poo poo pushed in.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So what grand and terrible punishment does the American public deserve for what America did to Iraq?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nosfereefer posted:

So what grand and terrible punishment does the American public deserve for what America did to Iraq?
Death.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Karmalis posted:

That's a good thing in a way, right? I mean better keep it in good shape rather than having it rot and hoping no one notices the smell...

Its both, actually. Some are left to rot, some have disappeared into the aether, some are maintained and shown off to foreigners as a just in case kinda thing.

Of course, America "may" be willing to purchase Russia's entire nuclear arsenal. $100 billion USD for the lot?

I wonder how utjkju is doing. Utjkju, id you read this, get out. Get out and come to America or Canada. If you can't get out, could you post a picture from this week of your local supermarket or department store? I'm wondering if they have anything left.

Assuming you have power, of course.

Vladimir Putin posted:

You kick them until they give up the nukes they have aimed at you. You let them keep medium and short range nukes to use against the Chinese.

Nosfereefer posted:

Cheap oil.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Of course, America "may" be willing to purchase Russia's entire nuclear arsenal. $100 billion USD for the lot?

Price seems a little low considering it would be trivial to keep them from making more once we hauled them away.

But anyway, how hosed is Russia with this new sanctions package. Not that sanctions are particularly effective on their own — they're not — but given what oil prices are doing to their economy...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

You kick them until they give up the nukes they have aimed at you. You let them keep medium and short range nukes to use against the Chinese.

"You want our weapons? Certainly, tovarish!"

You don't threaten a homeless man with eviction, and you don't fuss juntas with soft power.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Nosfereefer posted:

I'm not really interested in getting into another "But America does bad things too!" derail but I'll just say that the main perk of being an actual super power rather than a paper one is that no one can really punish you. I'm not saying that's good, to be clear, just that its so.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm not gonna lie I'm kind of worried because this kind of destabilization is exactly what usually leads to leaders making power plays and starting gigantic wars. What are the odds Putin decides to go all-in on Ukraine or he's removed, ACTUALLY removed, from office?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nosfereefer posted:

A generation of cripples, bums, and hosed up gip posters

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Forums Terrorist posted:

"You want our weapons? Certainly, tovarish!"

You don't threaten a homeless man with eviction, and you don't fuss juntas with soft power.

*submarine crew hasn't been paid in 12 months, just as likely to launch against Moscow as America

Necc0 posted:

I'm not gonna lie I'm kind of worried because this kind of destabilization is exactly what usually leads to leaders making power plays and starting gigantic wars. What are the odds Putin decides to go all-in on Ukraine or he's removed, ACTUALLY removed, from office?

I think his office being removed is about as likely as Putin being removed. Also, he has to go all in on Ukraine and then wait out the west.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

*submarine crew hasn't been paid in 12 months, just as likely to launch against Moscow as America

As a friend once told me, if you are in the army/navy/airforce you think about your country first then about yourself. If the order comes to fire a missile it will get fired at its given target. As long as there is high nationalism there is high moral to fight for your nation.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WBqX7MSqWw

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

As a friend once told me, if you are in the army/navy/airforce you think about your country first then about yourself. If the order comes to fire a missile it will get fired at its given target. As long as there is high nationalism there is high moral to fight for your nation.

Also MIGF seems to be coming down with a case of the hitlers; "We have only to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down!" If you want to end the russian threat don't half rear end it and just shoot the loving bastards.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Verge: Apple has banned sales in Russia:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7403535/apple-halts-online-sales-to-russia-as-the-ruble-plunges-in-value

quote:

According to reporters at Bloomberg, Apple is shutting down its online sales to Russia because of the "extreme fluctuations" in its currency, the ruble. Over the last twelve months the value of the ruble has plunged more than 50 percent against the dollar, destabilizing the Russian economy. That drop was already making it difficult for ordinary Russian citizens to purchase imported goods, but Apple's move shows things may get far worse, as foreign companies decide to stop accepting a currency that has been rapidly shedding value with each passing week.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seems stable at 69 (:wink:) to the dollar for the moment. I wonder when it's going to bottom out.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Well, yeah, as long as you're getting paid and your women aren't bitching at you over food prices.

After not getting paid for long enough, you kinda don't care about nationalism any more.

Meanwhile the mood in non-Russia:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sGrHwBlf-7M

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm not really interested in getting into another "But America does bad things too!" derail but I'll just say that the main perk of being an actual super power rather than a paper one is that no one can really punish you. I'm not saying that's good, to be clear, just that its so.

The Putin regime is clearly in the wrong, and Americas actions past or present are irrelevant. My point is rather that cheering for the economic collapse of Russia as some kind of just dessert is hosed up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nosfereefer posted:

The Putin regime is clearly in the wrong, and Americas actions past or present are irrelevant. My point is rather that cheering for the economic collapse of Russia as some kind of just dessert is hosed up.

The real thing to hope for is that economic pressure forces Russia out of Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I just hope Russia collapses hard enough so that they have to give back the land they stole. I would prefer it, if noone has to suffer, but at the moment I care more about Russia's acts of evil being reversed than the economic hardship of the Russian people.

The Ukrainian people are suffering, too, after all!

StashAugustine posted:

The real thing to hope for is that economic pressure forces Russia out of Ukraine.

This can only happen if someone kills Putin and replaces him with a more sane and less evil leader.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread