Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ekster posted:

I dunno you get kind of jaded when you buy 60 bucks triple A super star title that gets hyped to hell by dewrito journalism and turns out to be a massive disappointment. On the other hand I played Alien: Isolation recently that had pretty much everything against it and it was easily my GOTY. People who complain that games are somehow worse than in the past are full of poo poo, always.
Yeah, really. At least even at their worst the majority of publisher released games now are playable, unlike in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, really. At least even at their worst the majority of publisher released games now are playable, unlike in the past.

weve had a bit of a rough spot this year though, mainly with ubisoft games

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

are there any mobas where the gameplay isn't based on memorizing thousands of combinations of characters/items/movesets that are also fun and aren't F2P hellscapes?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've liked or greatly liked every game I bought this year. A good year for video games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The only issue with modern games is the issue with capitalism driven media in general, most of the market is controlled by a handful of players who are completely risk averse and spend a huge amount of money/time perfecting the art of making the most generic poo poo imaginable. It's not that this isn't a great time to be a gamer, but it's kind of a crappy time to be a gamer with friends who aren't hugely into games and never touch anything but lovely annualized franchises.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
VideoGames Positive Games Thoughts And Opines

sup chaps, chappetes and those who identify on a sliding scale. today will be the first in a series of posts where i talk about a game i have played and why i liked it. i like all games in some way. as far as i can count there is only one game i have flat out not really liked and i still completed it.

today's game: Mass Effect 3.

ME3 is my favourite of the trilogy but its only this way thanks to all the backstory/adventures brought forward by the first two. ive battled across the universe with these characters now for many many hours and we've grown as a team. i feel they polished up combat enough where it was fair and fun. it looked great. the inventory/rpg elements were nearly as good as ME1 while having a few of the refinements from ME2.

i also liked the culmination of shepherds indoctrination that happened by the end of the story. all through the trilogy being conditiond to beleive red is renengade (bad) and blue is paragon (good) so having to make the choice of either becoming a reaper as blue and destroying them as red. when clearly you've been fighting it this whole time. it was a great send off and one of the few times that a piece of DLC (the citadel adventure) has taken something even further and is a necessary part of the fun.

thank you for existing ME3.

next time: Duke Nukem Forever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I've liked or greatly liked every game I bought this year. A good year for video games.

The way I do it is I only buy good games. :cool:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WoW's recent expansion is very good and fun.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

exquisite tea posted:

almost agreed except destiny which was disappointing in almost every facet and i'm glad i didn't get any of the extra poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGames posted:

i also liked the culmination of shepherds indoctrination that happened by the end of the story. all through the trilogy being conditiond to beleive red is renengade (bad) and blue is paragon (good) so having to make the choice of either becoming a reaper as blue and destroying them as red. when clearly you've been fighting it this whole time. it was a great send off and one of the few times that a piece of DLC (the citadel adventure) has taken something even further and is a necessary part of the fun.

That was a silly theory that was almost certainly not what was intended.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what was wrong with Destiny? I was thinking about getting it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

That was a silly theory that was almost certainly not what was intended.

thats what i took from it and it made sense to me :>

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Licensed games have also vastly improved too. They were once reviled cash ins but now some are among the best games of all time (Batman, Walking Dead) and this year had two of them be among the most loved (Shadow of Mordor and Alien) Helps they don't have to be rushed out to be a tie-in anymore.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

plants vs zombies garden warfare is fun and im glad ea gave it away. had more fun with that in an hour then in all the time i played battlefield 4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGames posted:

thats what i took from it and it made sense to me :>

That requires a choice that explicitly genocides a sentient allied race to be the "paragon" choice, which would make no sense.

Unless they're explicitly lying about it, but that isn't really supported either.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

euphronius posted:

what was wrong with Destiny? I was thinking about getting it.

boring. consider the fact that this is coming from someone who spends a lot of time playing jrpgs and i think you can grasp the gravity of the situation.

the only reason that you should consider getting it is if you want an mmorpg on your consoles that uses guns instead of swords, and chest high walls instead of healers.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Davincie posted:

plants vs zombies garden warfare is fun and im glad ea gave it away. had more fun with that in an hour then in all the time i played battlefield 4

i wish they would have allowed online split screen co-op. you can only play two player locally which is really frustrating because of the drops mechanic and how far you have to get into a match to get drops that outpace what you spent to survive to that point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

almost agreed except destiny which was disappointing in almost every facet and i'm glad i didn't get any of the extra poo poo

i really enjoyed destiny and still play it off and on. its the first fps take on diablo thats pretty on point at least on the mechanical side of things

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hubris.height posted:

boring. consider the fact that this is coming from someone who spends a lot of time playing jrpgs and i think you can grasp the gravity of the situation.

the only reason that you should consider getting it is if you want an mmorpg on your consoles that uses guns instead of swords, and chest high walls instead of healers.

I detest the trend that is getting rid of healing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

euphronius posted:

I detest the trend that is getting rid of healing.

DA:I did that, but I thought it was alright.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i would like to make an aside to say this thread was a good idea and i enjoy having a general chat thing here like this to just chat about games in a chill and cool manner

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

That requires a choice that explicitly genocides a sentient allied race to be the "paragon" choice, which would make no sense.

Unless they're explicitly lying about it, but that isn't really supported either.

self preservation of the reapers.
war is about making tough choices, but that who we want saving the galaxy.

the way the game played out for me, it makes a lot of sense.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

i really enjoyed destiny and still play it off and on. its the first fps take on diablo thats pretty on point at least on the mechanical side of things

i don't know, it really wasn't worth the 60 dollars i paid for it, i do not feel like i got value out of it. for free, or even for 20 dollars i might have gotten my value out but i never turned it on again after hitting 20 that first week.

the pvp is a broken mess, and the loot grind is the worst i have seen since vanilla wow

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

i would like to make an aside to say this thread was a good idea and i enjoy having a general chat thing here like this to just chat about games in a chill and cool manner

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

are there any mobas where the gameplay isn't based on memorizing thousands of combinations of characters/items/movesets that are also fun and aren't F2P hellscapes?

is that a no?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGames posted:

war is about making tough choices, but that who we want saving the galaxy.

That's the renegade philosophy, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah it's nice to chat w/o having to deal with megathreads.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

That's the renegade philosophy, though.

yes? renegade is tough, not outright bad.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

hubris.height posted:

i don't know, it really wasn't worth the 60 dollars i paid for it, i do not feel like i got value out of it. for free, or even for 20 dollars i might have gotten my value out but i never turned it on again after hitting 20 that first week.

the pvp is a broken mess, and the loot grind is the worst i have seen since vanilla wow

It was pretty drat fun up until 20 though. The main issue with Destiny is you can tell Bungie take it so seriously, not just in terms of the crappy story but gameplay things like the extremely unfun loot grind and keeping filthy casuals from being allowed into raids. They seriously think they've crafted a masterpiece and want you to experience it in a very specific way.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

is that a no?

Heroes of the Storm is the obvious answer. It's hella good unless you're a huge baby about the admittedly crappy gold gain rate.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGames posted:

yes? renegade is tough, not outright bad.

What I was getting at was that making the tough choice to blow up the Reapers at the cost of blowing up the newly-sentient Geth as well is about as far Renegade as you can get. You're making the choice to sacrifice others for the greater good.

I mean, Renegade/Paragon is kind of dumb anyway, but

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

icantfindaname posted:

is that a no?

Airmech but it is broken in another way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Did Diablo 3 get good at some point? I played it on release and I don't want to get trolled into playing it again unless there were significant improvements.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stux posted:

The first version of thread was good and I was disappointed that it died.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lol

'i could tell you about what happened, or we could just get started on that loot treadmill you just purchased. yeah we figured you'd be ok with the treadmill'

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

monday night combat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Did Diablo 3 get good at some point? I played it on release and I don't want to get trolled into playing it again unless there were significant improvements.

yeah it is pretty great now. Def try it again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Smite is pretty good.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

i think it is the kind of game where the people who like that type of thing will go apeshit over it and everyone else will be like "what?" but because it was bungie people expected too much from it imo. the gun play is really solid and i just treat it like diablo 3, pop on every now and again and play some strikes and a couple of crucible matches then go play something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

yes play it on console if you can, plays really well with a pad and you can play with friends on the same screen :)

• Locked thread