Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't see you stepping up and buying them plat. You make that first step, and then we can discuss archives.

I don't have an expense account, and am instead interested in someone honestly adjudicating this so that I know whether I'm owed 10$ or owe 10$. I have shown willingness to pay it out, but it needs to be decided by an outside party that all members will consider fair.

Does D&D have a tribunal for these things? I would not like to further derail this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't see you stepping up and buying them plat. You make that first step, and then we can discuss archives.
This is all well and good, and I'll make a formal announcement about it any day now, but can you please stop reading my PMs?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cefte posted:

This is all well and good, and I'll make a formal announcement about it any day now, but can yu please stop reading my PMs?

Could you explain your decision?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
- Cefte, Chief Adjudicator of the Criminal Court of Posting

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could you explain your decision?
Sorry, I wasn't actually being serious, I was being Europe.

~~ double joke ~~

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cefte posted:

Sorry, I wasn't actually being serious, I was being Europe.

~~ double joke ~~

:doh:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cefte posted:

This is all well and good, and I'll make a formal announcement about it any day now, but can you please stop reading my PMs?

I heard TheImmigrant referenced in someone's PMs. I'm just making sure nobody rewards him for supporting terrorism, ok? This wouldn't need to occur if he was able to control his impulses and had been appropriately renditioned to BYOB.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Okay. You know what? This piece, saying:

" At least one witness said he heard Peters repeatedly saying, "Kill the Jews!" according to Rabbi Chaim Landa, a Chabad-Lubavitch spokesman.

Police were still interviewing witnesses but quoted Peters as saying instead, "I'm going to kill all of you." The case was not immediately classified as a possible bias crime."

Convinces me. I'm buying emanresu plat.

ETA: Okay, I have a code for you, I'm going to need some kind of contact info. You can email me at absurd.alhazred@zoho.com

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 14, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay. You know what? This piece, saying:

" At least one witness said he heard Peters repeatedly saying, "Kill the Jews!" according to Rabbi Chaim Landa, a Chabad-Lubavitch spokesman.

Police were still interviewing witnesses but quoted Peters as saying instead, "I'm going to kill all of you." The case was not immediately classified as a possible bias crime."

Convinces me. I'm buying emanresu plat.

ETA: Okay, I have a code for you, I'm going to need some kind of contact info. You can email me at absurd.alhazred@zoho.com
Every goddamn video out there starts with the police arriving or abridges things considerably. Took a bit of digging to find this one, hope it stays online long enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZeJaB-ESwc

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Every goddamn video out there starts with the police arriving or abridges things considerably. Took a bit of digging to find this one, hope it stays online long enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZeJaB-ESwc

All I'm hearing him saying is "are you cool" and "do you want me to kill you? Answer my question, it's a simple question, yes-or-no answer", etc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, that's definitely why he got that nickname.

And of course the problem with the withdrawal from Lebanon was that the Israeli public loooooooooooves occupation in all its forms, not that it was a hugely incompetent clusterfuck.

Well, if the Israeli public doesn't love occupations, why is Palestine still occupied after fifty years?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, if the Israeli public doesn't love occupations, why is Palestine still occupied after fifty years?

Because they're too drat shortsighted to organize an acceptable nation-state. You have to be willing to accept that such an objective may never come to pass, before it will ever come to pass.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because they're too drat shortsighted to organize an acceptable nation-state. You have to be willing to accept that such an objective may never come to pass, before it will ever come to pass.

I almost answered, before I realized it was simply Internet-Hate-ChatBot MIGF, and as such there was no one on the other side to read my answer. Only an automated hate machine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

I almost answered, before I realized it was simply Internet-Hate-ChatBot MIGF, and as such there was no one on the other side to read my answer. Only an automated hate machine.

He hasn't become self-aware yet, so we're all safe.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

What do you mean by "Palestine"?

The West Bank is still occupied because a bunch of religious/revanchist nationalist crazies managed and continue to expand beachheads of land-grabs, followed by more relaxed suburbs at lower prices for others giving them staying power - and the international community, due to US support thereof, have been unable to exert the pressure needed to make this a pricey supposition, although now, perhaps too late, they are turning the tide.

But unlike the West Bank (Judea and Samaria) and Gaza (Gaza?), and Sinai (Mount Sinai? I don't know), South Lebanon held no charms for the religious, so they did not establish the beachheads that then brought in the gentrifiers. Therefore it was eventually possible to leave rather painlessly, although the Southern Lebanon Army, a Christian militia which was allied with the occupier, probably felt differently.

As domestic politics go, the settler movement has set itself up as Good on Security, much as the Republicans in the US were able to, facts nonwithstanding. That is their weakest point, which unfortunately the Israeli left is unwilling to exploit seriously, because they keep on trying to prove how eager they are to kill Arabs or support that killing for security.

Moreover, the settlers are a single-minded constituency without an equally acceptable and oppositely aligned constituency to counter them. They are allied with general right-wingers and with many who think leftists only care about Ashkenazi Jews (which, when you look at the makeup of the left-wing versus right-wing Jewish parties, seems pretty convincing). Others still simply do not expect anything to change regarding the Palestinians, and therefore see no point in having that fight out with the settlers. It's a situation that will only change with a serious realignment of outside pressures.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What do you mean by "Palestine"?

The West Bank is still occupied because a bunch of religious/revanchist nationalist crazies managed and continue to expand beachheads of land-grabs, followed by more relaxed suburbs at lower prices for others giving them staying power - and the international community, due to US support thereof, have been unable to exert the pressure needed to make this a pricey supposition, although now, perhaps too late, they are turning the tide.

But unlike the West Bank (Judea and Samaria) and Gaza (Gaza?), and Sinai (Mount Sinai? I don't know), South Lebanon held no charms for the religious, so they did not establish the beachheads that then brought in the gentrifiers. Therefore it was eventually possible to leave rather painlessly, although the Southern Lebanon Army, a Christian militia which was allied with the occupier, probably felt differently.

As domestic politics go, the settler movement has set itself up as Good on Security, much as the Republicans in the US were able to, facts nonwithstanding. That is their weakest point, which unfortunately the Israeli left is unwilling to exploit seriously, because they keep on trying to prove how eager they are to kill Arabs or support that killing for security.

Moreover, the settlers are a single-minded constituency without an equally acceptable and oppositely aligned constituency to counter them. They are allied with general right-wingers and with many who think leftists only care about Ashkenazi Jews (which, when you look at the makeup of the left-wing versus right-wing Jewish parties, seems pretty convincing). Others still simply do not expect anything to change regarding the Palestinians, and therefore see no point in having that fight out with the settlers. It's a situation that will only change with a serious realignment of outside pressures.

I wasn't really expecting an answer, it was more of a 'zinger' at Xander77's hypocritical sarcasm.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wasn't really expecting an answer, it was more of a 'zinger' at Xander77's hypocritical sarcasm.

Just like with "why do Congresspeople love Israel so much", the answer is less a matter of genuine affection and more a matter of inertia coupled with a highly skewed alignment of political pressures.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just like with "why do Congresspeople love Israel so much", the answer is less a matter of genuine affection and more a matter of inertia coupled with a highly skewed alignment of political pressures.

Also, Jesus.
(No, seriously. Its a bit crazy and everyone else knows it.)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Also, Jesus.
(No, seriously. Its a bit crazy and everyone else knows it.)

It is seriously depressing because they're advocating for the apocalypse. Like they want to see it for themselves to justify their own shithead beliefs because they actually lack faith and want some kind of rapture experience or the validation of seeing the people they don't like get condemned to hell on earth.

gently caress gently caress gently caress scriptural literalists in their fundaments.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

syscall girl posted:

It is seriously depressing because they're advocating for the apocalypse. Like they want to see it for themselves to justify their own shithead beliefs because they actually lack faith and want some kind of rapture experience or the validation of seeing the people they don't like get condemned to hell on earth.

gently caress gently caress gently caress scriptural literalists in their fundaments.

When a large, cohesive, well-organized and self-financed voting bloc lobbies in favor of policies which promote the litoral apocalypse, AIPAC seems quite the moderate and rationally self-interested lobby.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Also, are you gonna buy me that plat upgrade or not?

בוקר טוב. אתה רוצה שדרוג או לא?

Get in touch through absurd.alhazred@zoho.com and I'll send you your gift certificate. Or whatever other method you want.

My Imaginary GF posted:

When a large, cohesive, well-organized and self-financed voting bloc lobbies in favor of policies which promote the litoral apocalypse, AIPAC seems quite the moderate and rationally self-interested lobby.

Or, AIPAC giving it that fig leaf of pro-Jewishness makes it just that more abominable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

If someone wants to commit a crime because he's a crazed lunatic, that his accomplice is in merely because he wants to steal the victim's wallet does not make him "more moderate".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cat Mattress posted:

If someone wants to commit a crime because he's a crazed lunatic, that his accomplice is in merely because he wants to steal the victim's wallet does not make him "more moderate".

... it sorta does.

e: I mean I suppose both AIPAC and Christapocalypse lobbiers are both self-interested in things unattached from reality. The armagedders want to not die, based on false assumptions. AIPAC wants to keep Israel safe and lobbies for the reverse based on false assumptions.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 15, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Shas, the party representing Mizrahi Haredi (and some traditional) Jews, has set up a Women's Advisory Council. This will be led by Adina Bar Shalom, the daughter of its former spiritual leader, Ovadiah Yosef, and Yaffa Deri, Chariman Arieh Deri's wife, further cementing Deri's position as leader. This seems to pave the way for future women MK's, if Adina Bar Shalom is to be believed.

This may be coming as a response to a recent campaign by Haredi women, "no votes without representation", where they say they will not vote for a party without women (as has been the case for Shas and United Torah, the Ashkenazi Haredi party). I guess we shall see where it goes.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
How good is The Palestine-Israel Conflict: A Basic Introduction as a text to get caught up on this topic? I'm working my way through it, but I'm concerned about not being able to pick up on biases or factual omissions present in the book, because I don't really know much about the subject yet.

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 15, 2014

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
On a lighter note, Lieberman's statement that he is not out right rejecting sitting in the same government as Hertzog and Livni has caused a bunch of Likud members to accuse him of being a lefty.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

IT BEGINS posted:

How good is The Palestine-Israel Conflict: A Basic Introduction as a text to get caught up on this topic? I'm working my way through it, but I'm concerned about not being able to pick up on biases or factual omissions present in the book, because I don't really know much about the subject yet.

The only negative review of it is upset about him using "radical leftists" B'tselem as a main source, so it should be alright.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nopantsjack posted:

The only negative review of it is upset about him using "radical leftists" B'tselem as a main source, so it should be alright.

Don't forget the one who recommended Dershowitz's The Case for Israel to balance it out. Always a good sign.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well really, they only support climate change and the littoral apocalypse because it is another sign of the literal apocalypse.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't forget the one who recommended Dershowitz's The Case for Israel to balance it out. Always a good sign.

Well then you balance Dershowitz's book with The Holocaust Industry.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Potential drama at the UN on Wednesday? Netanyahu: European support for Palestinians 'endangers Israel'

---

Before the meeting, Israel put the United States on notice that it expected Washington to exercise its U.N. Security Council veto against any resolutions setting a time frame.

Netanyahu declined to comment on whether he was given an assurance by Kerry that the United States would exercise its veto. A source with knowledge of the talks who spoke on condition of anonymity said the Israeli leader had indeed asked for such an assurance.

A senior State Department official said Washington had made clear in discussions that it would oppose certain moves.

"We've made clear throughout these discussions with all of our interlocutors that there are certain things we could never support. (I'm) not going to outline those publicly," the official said

The Palestinians have said they will submit an Arab-backed draft text to the UN setting a two-year deadline for Israeli troops to withdraw from the West Bank as early as Wednesday.

France has put forward a more nuanced version setting a two-year timetable for concluding a peace treaty, without mentioning the withdrawal of Israeli forces.

---

Looking beyond the sheer gall of Israel motherfucking putting the US on notice, note how noncommittal the US is about vetoing this. My desperation levels have ebbed a bit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Potential drama at the UN on Wednesday? Netanyahu: European support for Palestinians 'endangers Israel'

---

Looking beyond the sheer gall of Israel motherfucking putting the US on notice, note how noncommittal the US is about vetoing this. My desperation levels have ebbed a bit.

Take a look at Israel's recently announced investments and participation at the Dakar security summit to see what Europe and her colonies truly think of Israeli policy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The three hitler jugend members who've set fire to the Bilingual school will not be charged with hate-crimes or terrorism charges, the indictment lists the background to their crimes as being related by their own admission to a memorial ceremony for Yasser Arrafat that allegedly took place in the school a week before the attack, the funny thing is that this memorial service never happened, it was a slanderous lie spread by a kahanist journalist working for the channel one news (a government operated channel, FYI), given that this appears in the official indictment it would seem like the school have a legit cause to sue the channel, the reporter and the government for incitement, wonder if they'll go that route.

Anyway, apartheid justice etc,.

Edit: Oh, do any of you guys remember 'Im Tirzu'? They're a bunch of a 'neo-zionist' weirdos who've been funded by Edelson and Netanyahu, claiming to be a non-political organization but associating themselves with Lehava and other kahanist nazi groups, a while ago their leadership issued a SLAPP lawsuit against a facebook group who've dubbed them a right-wing fascist organization, amusingly enough the court found that given Im Tirzu's stated ideology, influences and goals it cannot be considered slanderous to claim that they are a fascist or proto-fascist organization, anyway, the leader of this non-political organization, one Mr. Ronen Shoval, is now trying to get elected to the Knesset through Bennet's "Jewish Home" party, his stated goal is to 'suffocate the left-wing human rights organizations who're spreading islamist lies about Israel', Good guy. Expect this douche to produce many racist quotes if he does get elected.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 16, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The three hitler jugend members who've set fire to the Bilingual school will not be charged with hate-crimes or terrorism charges, the indictment lists the background to their crimes as being related by their own admission to a memorial ceremony for Yasser Arrafat that allegedly took place in the school a week before the attack, the funny thing is that this memorial service never happened, it was a slanderous lie spread by a kahanist journalist working for the channel one news (a government operated channel, FYI), given that this appears in the official indictment it would seem like the school have a legit cause to sue the channel, the reporter and the government for incitement, wonder if they'll go that route.

Links?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/188677#.VJAzFyuUfcg

Arutz 7, a settler operated outlet, of course neglect to mention that the Arafat memorial never actually happened.

Haaretz do quote the school officials though:

quote:

However, officials at the Hand in Hand school assert that no one could have had any information about such a ceremony, since one was never held at the school or by the members of its greater community.

“Such a claim may have been made during their interrogation, making its way into the charge sheet, but there is no truth to it,” said the school sources.

The sources added that “the fingerprints of the arsonists who defiled the school’s walls with their racist and hateful slogans left no doubt as to the motive for the attack. We insist that this error be rectified immediately lest it serve as a pretext for the next attack.”

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.632112

One might also question why having a memorial for a legitimate palestinian leader, one who signed treaties with the Israeli prime-minister and denounced violent resistance, should be controversial at all. But you know, for Arutz 7 he will always be a terrorist leader, cause, you know.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

But you know, for Arutz 7 he will always be a terrorist leader, cause, you know.
You know, it might be cause of all the terrorism.

You know?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yes I shall keep that poignant analysis the next time I drive through Menahem Begin street.

I keep forgetting how Jewish murderous terrorists and war criminals eventually become legitimate leaders but Palestinian ones remain heinous criminals, even if they shook hands with Clinton.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

even if they shook hands with Clinton.
There's only some much whitewashing Clinton can do in one sitting.

In other news, an actual witness. But hey, how reliable are those?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Xander77 posted:

There's only some much whitewashing Clinton can do in one sitting.

Wow, getting pretty obvious there in your dodging. Sure, let's focus on the Clinton instead of the rest of the post, because you don't have a snarky reply to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And now the leadership of Lehava have been arrested for inciting terror. Weird mixed message there.

• Locked thread