Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

In theory, it should be more combat-heavy than EotE, but the game system being what it is I've found that AoR tends to work better if you play it closer to how EotE is played (i.e. you're breaking the law, you just do it for ideological motives) instead of having the mass battles and spaceship battles the game flavour wants you to have.

Can I inquire more about this since I'm having thoughts of acquiring the other books? Saying that playing the game the way it encourages you to doesn't work because of the system itself is a worrying statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

Can I inquire more about this since I'm having thoughts of acquiring the other books? Saying that playing the game the way it encourages you to doesn't work because of the system itself is a worrying statement.

The combat sits at an uncomfortable boundary between "too complicated for something as storygamey as the custom dice mechanics want you to think the game is" and "not detailed enough to be an interesting tactical game in and of itself" for me, so it's just not very good. There's also the issue of the combat being weirdly "lethal" (i.e. a single hit will frequently take off 50-75% of a character's HP, resulting in them getting a random injury roll and falling unconscious, to then usually be revived immediately by teammates and probably get shot unconscious again in a couple of turns). I've not played much with the starship combat, but napkin maths seems to indicate the lethality on it is also stupid high and the game kind of relies on there being PCs onboard the ship to fix it in flight, which plain doesn't work when you're running single-seat snubfighters.

There's also the issue that the damage mechanics are straight out of Dark Heresy and don't match the design of the skill/custom dice system at all, which is just puzzlingly bad design.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

I think the rules in all the books best support being a Han Solo or C-3PO. Second to that, they support being Luke or prequel Obi-Wan. The difference is just your motivation and preferred target.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The combat sits at an uncomfortable boundary between "too complicated for something as storygamey as the custom dice mechanics want you to think the game is" and "not detailed enough to be an interesting tactical game in and of itself" for me, so it's just not very good. There's also the issue of the combat being weirdly "lethal" (i.e. a single hit will frequently take off 50-75% of a character's HP, resulting in them getting a random injury roll and falling unconscious, to then usually be revived immediately by teammates and probably get shot unconscious again in a couple of turns). I've not played much with the starship combat, but napkin maths seems to indicate the lethality on it is also stupid high and the game kind of relies on there being PCs onboard the ship to fix it in flight, which plain doesn't work when you're running single-seat snubfighters.

That's kind of a selling point for me. Nothing is as off-putting to me as allegedly lethal weapons that result in apparently knocking chucks off of characters made of homogenous meat product. I want the starfighter combat to like like the films, not the X-wing series of videogames.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Madurai posted:

That's kind of a selling point for me. Nothing is as off-putting to me as allegedly lethal weapons that result in apparently knocking chucks off of characters made of homogenous meat product. I want the starfighter combat to like like the films, not the X-wing series of videogames.

The Star Wars films aren't full of the main characters being critically wounded and having their starships shot out from under them all the time though. Plenty of incidental characters get exploded, sure, a bunch of X-Wing and Y-Wing pilots eat it during the Death Star trench run and a whole lot of TIE pilots go boom, but when the main characters get hurt or their ships get damaged it's generally either a big dramatic deal (i.e. Luke getting his hand cut off) or the equivalent of a dramatic complication (your targeting computer is offline, you'll have to Use The Force to make this vitally important shot).

Like, Star Wars is full of allegedly lethal weapons fire that miraculously never seems to hit what would be considered the PCs in an RPG all the time, there's a whole long-running joke about it. The idea of a Star Wars game that's lethal and dangerous and gritty honestly strikes me as pretty weird.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Star Wars needs to be pulpy, and that means poo poo like highly trained Imperial soldiers who have committed crazy space genocide without issue before suddenly have trouble getting a kill shot on five douchebags in a smuggler ship.

Still, I don't dislike EoE's system, but for my group we did scale things back a little. If you have a few troopers shooting at you and they all hit, you're hosed for sure, but you're not going to be taken down by a stray laser shot either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I could see a system working where enemy accuracy was pretty low but getting hit meant complications working pretty well. I mean, I agree that "you get shot by a blaster but it only does 1d6 hitpoints so you shrug it off" would be pretty dumb and unfun, but the True Star Wars experience seems to me to be "shots fly all around you but mainly just hit the walls and explode panels and make sparks but don't knock half your party unconscious but all that blaster fire caused the emergency shutters to close cutting off your escape route, the only way out now is through the fighter launch bays."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I could see a system working where enemy accuracy was pretty low but getting hit meant complications working pretty well. I mean, I agree that "you get shot by a blaster but it only does 1d6 hitpoints so you shrug it off" would be pretty dumb and unfun, but the True Star Wars experience seems to me to be "shots fly all around you but mainly just hit the walls and explode panels and make sparks but don't knock half your party unconscious but all that blaster fire caused the emergency shutters to close cutting off your escape route, the only way out now is through the fighter launch bays."

This seems to be my experience using storm troopers to be honest. They are tough as nails but cant hit particularly well (assuming your not grouping them all) unless the players are straight out the gate new characters but they seem to build up a tonne of advantages which I like to spend to make the situation nuts, lights go off, power fluctuations, doors constantly opening/closing to drag the players in a specific direction.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Re: starship combat, lethality, and requiring regular repairs, do astromechs adequately serve that purpose or do you really need a PC to take care of it? Because a lot of the iconic rebel starfighters have astromech sockets so I'd normally assume that "you have your very own R2 unit to fix poo poo" would be factored into things unless you're using some weird-rear end EU fighter or something, but I don't have any experience with EotE/AoR ship combat so.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

The Star Wars films aren't full of the main characters being critically wounded and having their starships shot out from under them all the time though. Plenty of incidental characters get exploded, sure, a bunch of X-Wing and Y-Wing pilots eat it during the Death Star trench run and a whole lot of TIE pilots go boom, but when the main characters get hurt or their ships get damaged it's generally either a big dramatic deal (i.e. Luke getting his hand cut off) or the equivalent of a dramatic complication (your targeting computer is offline, you'll have to Use The Force to make this vitally important shot).

Like, Star Wars is full of allegedly lethal weapons fire that miraculously never seems to hit what would be considered the PCs in an RPG all the time, there's a whole long-running joke about it. The idea of a Star Wars game that's lethal and dangerous and gritty honestly strikes me as pretty weird.

The game should reflect that it's hard to hit things, and plenty lethal when you do get hit. R2-D2 was hit twice in the films, both times badly enough that in game terms, he'd have been out of action for the rest of the fight. Leia was shot twice, too--once by a single stun bolt that dropped her, and when she got winged by a blaster bolt it gave her at the very least a round of taking no action.

The only fighters shown taking hits and surviving were Red Leader (briefly) and Luke.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Madurai posted:

The game should reflect that it's hard to hit things, and plenty lethal when you do get hit. R2-D2 was hit twice in the films, both times badly enough that in game terms, he'd have been out of action for the rest of the fight. Leia was shot twice, too--once by a single stun bolt that dropped her, and when she got winged by a blaster bolt it gave her at the very least a round of taking no action.

Or they could just have low-lethality combat and let you abstract it however you want (either as "they miss until you get dropped" or as "action heroes taking flesh wounds" depending on what the table wants the tone to be). HP has never represented health, it's always been a combination of stamina/luck, so it's pretty silly to go for a system where hitting is infrequent but damage is high (doubly bad because it leads to frustrating fights where everyone whiffs, and stupid spike damage when hits do happen, which is largely out of your control).

Annoyingly, something that would have worked perfectly for exactly that and would have worked hand in hand with their fancy dice is Fate's stress/consequence system and the way Fate combat works (you pass on a series of bonuses to the last player to act that turn who then attacks with a ridiculous bonus, usually one-shotting an enemy).

I'm seriously just considering halving the damage of all enemy attacks to make the whole weapon damage/WT system not be completely wonk.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 17, 2014

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm seriously just considering halving the damage of all enemy attacks to make the whole weapon damage/WT system not be completely wonk.

I've given every weapon Vicious with a rating equal to however much damage gets through Soak.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I've not had the combat difficulties y'all have had in my games. My players are about 200 earned XP in and nobody has died. Two people have gone unconscious, and there have been some critical injuries, but nobody has died. My players wear armor, even the squishy dudes. The Mechanic has soak 5. It gets kind of irritating as the GM sometimes trying to threaten the party.

I've only run a couple of AoR adventures, but they were squad level. Starship and vehicle combat worked OK. Since the FAQ ruled a player can heal hull on a ship, my players have taken a beating from a couple big ships but always managed to limp to a port to fix up.

I think if I were to have mass battles I would probably use the mass combat rules in Arda and only address what's going on for my players' squad.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Yeah, I think once PCs have armoured clothing and 2 ranks of Dodge/Sidestep/that soak-boosting talent everything starts to work out. The agile characters are hit infrequently for high damage at the cost of strain, the tanks are hit regularly for low damage. My party has 1 char who doesn't have any survivability-boosting talents and he's noticably more squishy.

Combats definitely don't last long, probably around 4-5 rounds, but I was under the impression that was considered the sweet spot.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Or they could just have low-lethality combat and let you abstract it however you want (either as "they miss until you get dropped" or as "action heroes taking flesh wounds" depending on what the table wants the tone to be). HP has never represented health, it's always been a combination of stamina/luck, so it's pretty silly to go for a system where hitting is infrequent but damage is high (doubly bad because it leads to frustrating fights where everyone whiffs, and stupid spike damage when hits do happen, which is largely out of your control).

Wound threshold in Star Wars is representing health. Strain threshold is stamina, destiny points are luck. You burn strain and destiny to not be hit, but the weapons in Star Wars are insanely lethal so taking a shot straight to the chest is probably leaving you in a really bad way. There are spots in the movies where characters were just grazed by blasters or lightsabers and were more or less okay, and it seems fair that that's represented by 'just' damaging wound threshold without critical damage, since there's no in-game effect to being injured until you run out of wound threshold or gain critical damage.

But at no point ever in Star Wars has anyone been okay after taking three or four hits. I think that's fairly represented with the system here.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The D20 versions represented HP as a generic idea of how long you could dodge blaster fire before getting taken down. So it was more a mix of physical and mental endurance.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

FISHMANPET posted:

The D20 versions represented HP as a generic idea of how long you could dodge blaster fire before getting taken down. So it was more a mix of physical and mental endurance.

The D20 versions were also retarded. They were trying to shoehorn a cinematic and lethal setup into the D&D system of HP sponges. Fantasy Flight's done it considerably better where if someone's running at you with a laser sword that cuts through bank vaults, you'd better be actively dodging or blocking it, because having it stuck through you is likely going to kill you.

They really missed the boat in Force and Destiny in not having a Jedi talent specifically for lopping off arms with lightsabers. They really seem to love doing that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Saga had a damage track that was awesome.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Valatar posted:

The D20 versions were also retarded. They were trying to shoehorn a cinematic and lethal setup into the D&D system of HP sponges. Fantasy Flight's done it considerably better where if someone's running at you with a laser sword that cuts through bank vaults, you'd better be actively dodging or blocking it, because having it stuck through you is likely going to kill you.

They really missed the boat in Force and Destiny in not having a Jedi talent specifically for lopping off arms with lightsabers. They really seem to love doing that.

Or maybe a "hit" isn't a literal "you got shot", which is the entire semantic issue at the heart of the HP argument.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, the first time you get "hit" in a D20 version your character dodged, but didn't actually get hit, but now they're a little worn out. And they'd keep dodging or whatever until they were just so worn out they'd actually get hit, and then bad things would happen.

Unrelated, how do you guys describe NPCs getting hit to players? I want to have some way to indicate how much damage they're doing to an opponent but I don't want to be as mechanical as saying "you took out 3 of 7 wounds, leaving them with 4." Would you even let them know how much was absorbed by armor explicitly, or weave that into the narrative as well?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Valatar posted:

Wound threshold in Star Wars is representing health. Strain threshold is stamina, destiny points are luck. You burn strain and destiny to not be hit, but the weapons in Star Wars are insanely lethal so taking a shot straight to the chest is probably leaving you in a really bad way. There are spots in the movies where characters were just grazed by blasters or lightsabers and were more or less okay, and it seems fair that that's represented by 'just' damaging wound threshold without critical damage, since there's no in-game effect to being injured until you run out of wound threshold or gain critical damage.

But at no point ever in Star Wars has anyone been okay after taking three or four hits. I think that's fairly represented with the system here.

Yes, I know what WT represents. I'm saying it's bad design to have "HP" represent being hurt instead of avoiding being hurt.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't find the combat - on the face of it - to be particularly compelling in this system. It's not bad, and it can actually be a lot of fun but you need the cooperation of everybody at the table to make it work. I think that way too much space is dedicated to making characters increasingly deadly in really fiddly ways; I think that not enough space is dedicated to how to make non-combat characters increasingly competent in other fields; and I think that when you roll the dice you have to be prepared to really narrate the consequences of the roll with the help of everybody at the table.

It's not that its especially complicated. It's mostly that you can theoretically funnel near-infinite XP into being an increasingly badass assassin and then basically cap out on being a doctor. This problem is exacerbated if the game is run with a series of combat encounters, and doubly so if those encounters are dull "shoot until finished" affairs.

The game is <this close> to being a Dungeon World-esque romp in space but it needs the right group to make it work.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Questions for you guys, since I'm running SW for the first time for people who have played for other DMs and understand the rules differently:

-Do you need a {*} (hit) to 'buy' your weapon's base damage? So like, a blaster pistol deals 6 damage. Say you roll a net 2 hits... does that mean you deal 8? (6 base damage plus 2 hits) or 7 (first hit buys the damage, second hit increases by one)

-What do you think of the houserule (that I thought was an actual rule) of letting people 'trade down' advantages into hits? So if your roll is just 'net 1 advantage' you can just make that into 1 hit?

-I'm also struggling to develop dynamic and challenging encounters the same as the upthread person, since I have (much to my disappointment) a six-person party, which makes combat a chore since there aren't many interrupt/react-type actions for players and combat takes a long time to get through, especially with all the narration. My preferred size is 4, I said I would go to 5 and had 6 sprung on me. I'm now just hoping a person a session can't make it.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Everblight posted:

Questions for you guys, since I'm running SW for the first time for people who have played for other DMs and understand the rules differently:

-What do you think of the houserule (that I thought was an actual rule) of letting people 'trade down' advantages into hits? So if your roll is just 'net 1 advantage' you can just make that into 1 hit?

The group i'm in has houseruled that three advantage can beconverted into a success. It's so high as to be far too expensive to do normally but you can on those rolls of 6 advantage and no successes use it to be able to pass a roll. A one for one looks far too cheap to me and starts to take away advantage as part of the core mechanic of the game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

- Aren't advantages also successes? Hence a failure can remove an advantage's sucess, but not the advantage part of the roll?

- No idea. :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Advantages aren't successes, no. Only actual successes and triumphs count as successes. Threat and Advantage operate on their own totally different scale.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tekopo posted:

Advantages aren't successes, no. Only actual successes and triumphs count as successes. Threat and Advantage operate on their own totally different scale.

Ah, right - getting them confused with Triumphs.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

House ruling advantages into successes just seems to take away the interesting part of the system and make most tasks far too easy. Using advantage to make something happen even though you failed is the fun part.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the whole point of the divide is letting you have moments where you miss the shot but manage to shoot a console behind the storm troopers, or where you hit the trooper but he fires his gun off as he dies and alerts the others. Making them the same takes the interesting bit of the special dice away, might as well just make em d8s.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The best is when someone rolls both a Triumph and a Despair, since those don't cancel. Always hilarious.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Stay on Target should be in stores today. I'll post up what I know about it when I pick it up on Friday.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Stay on Target should be in stores today. I'll post up what I know about it when I pick it up on Friday.

I got mine already. If you have any questions let me know and I can post tonight. The art is gorgeous, as usual.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Carteret posted:

I got mine already. If you have any questions let me know and I can post tonight. The art is gorgeous, as usual.

I am always curious about new talents in the new specializations , if any.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Sadly my FLGS won't be getting Stay on Target til next week. I envy those on the coast who got it already.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

R-41 Starchasers in Stay on Target :allears:

There are some talents to increase the armor of a "Signature Vehicle", I guess a pilot's chosen vehicle.

A talent called "Fancy Paint Job" that lets you increase social skills around your signature vehicle, lol

"Showboat" - spend two strain to showboat during your next check. If you succeed on the check, gain a triumph. Otherwise gain a despair.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Having run into issues with PC ships being too flimsy in the past, I'm wondering what opinion people'd have on this fairly simple change:
Ships don't shut down when their damage exceeds their hull threshold. Instead, when a ship takes damage in excess of its hull threshold, it suffers an equal amount of system strain and takes a critical hit. Ships shut down when their system strain exceeds their system strain threshold as usual.

Pros/Cons:
+ PC & Nemesis ships effectively gain 50-100% more health, whilst Rivals & Minions don't
+ Crit effects see more use (currently, ships rarely suffer more than 1 before getting disabled)
+ Easier to flee when things start going south
+ Mechanics can make thematic last-ditch attempts to keep a crippled ship together
+ Lasers & ion weapons no longer attack different health totals, so mixing them isn't counter-synergetic (if that means anything?)
= Big ships see a proportionally smaller health buff than small ships, in general (but are more able to regen SS anyway)
- Means personal and planetary health mechanics differ
- Slightly more complicated
- Means PCs are more able to get themselves killed (It's almost impossible to get critted to death in the current system, you shut down first)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

alg posted:

R-41 Starchasers in Stay on Target :allears:

You're welcome :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm starting to re-evaluate my stance on Force Powers...had an in-person game of F&D the other night...and only had one successful force power usage the entire night. None of my players took talents or Power tree nodes that allowed the rolling of Force Dice in normal checks, so it was all specific Move checks and the like...and it really feels like the game is asking you to come up with way more pips that is feasible, especially to use any kind of Range or Magnitude upgrades.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

jivjov posted:

So I'm starting to re-evaluate my stance on Force Powers...had an in-person game of F&D the other night...and only had one successful force power usage the entire night. None of my players took talents or Power tree nodes that allowed the rolling of Force Dice in normal checks, so it was all specific Move checks and the like...and it really feels like the game is asking you to come up with way more pips that is feasible, especially to use any kind of Range or Magnitude upgrades.

Having played force users a bit they do need a bucket of XP before they can be prequel/clone wars Jedi, the rules are much more akin to the original films where force powers are an edge and not super powers. The way my group looks at it is anyone with one force dice is just a sensitive, two force dice to be a padawan and at least three to be a knight. Masters should be five or more dice. The good news is that Jedi don't outstrip other characters.

To reliably activate any low level force power takes two dice and if you want to add any magnitude or range reliably then you need three dice or be prepared to use destiny points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Move is kind of a terrible first force power choice; as you mention, it requires a lot of pips to get things done with that. I think Sense or Enhance are much more newbie friendly force powers. Things you can commit force dice to are much more reliable than rolling and hoping for two white pips.