Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MONKET posted:

I loved Quake's atmosphere and general serendipitous art direction that was entirely the result of compromising between HeXen-like dark medieval fantasy and high-tech Doom space bases. It created this blend of magic and technology that most other games don't attempt that often and really should. The fact that the story was brief only helped it make it even more surreal, like I was the pawn of some Carmackian overlord that was plopped into the middle of a Beksinski painting and told to slaughter everything.

Now if only it didn't get so loving dark in the last episode. I tried playing through it in Darkplaces and it's like I'm playing half blind.

Unreal 1 did something similar by combining a lighter version of Hexen's dark fantasy with rusty and futuristic technology. I wish more games combined medieval and futuristic. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
You can move and charge while zoomed in if you're crouching. Get hosed, Nar Shadaa. :sicknasty:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Geight posted:

You can move and charge while zoomed in if you're crouching. Get hosed, Nar Shadaa. :sicknasty:

poo poo, now I gotta time travel and wreck all the saber duelists in JO/JA online.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zaphod42 posted:

This artist Wayne Barlowe did a whole suite of paintings on a concept of Hell that he'd been working on, I think for a book he was writing. The whole thing has an unbelievable sense of scale and reality, he imagines Hell more like a sci-fi planet than a strict afterlife, and the surreal horror of it all is pretty intense.

http://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/artwork/hell/

As I was looking through his works, I just kept thinking "This is what I want a game to do, this is what Doom 4 should be".

Wayne Barlowe already did the concept art for a big video game, but unfortunately for everyone involved, it was Dante's Inferno.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm doing the sewer mission in strife and i don't really know what all's happening but all i do know is that occasionally the flashy green light of death has deemed it necessary that i feel pain no matter how many supposed protective suits i feed it

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm doing the sewer mission in strife and i don't really know what all's happening but all i do know is that occasionally the flashy green light of death has deemed it necessary that i feel pain no matter how many supposed protective suits i feed it

I found that backtracking until the green light disappears, putting on an Environment Suit, then returning satisfies the green light.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Elliotw2 posted:

poo poo, now I gotta time travel and wreck all the saber duelists in JO/JA online.

On this note, I got to the first boss battle saber fight, and found it to be pretty dang hard. I read up on how you're supposed to actually like, do lightsaber vs lightsaber combat, and on my first attempt afterwards she force jumped into the air and didn't block my force push, and just went careening into the abyss. That's how a true Jedi does it!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

closeted republican posted:

I found that backtracking until the green light disappears, putting on an Environment Suit, then returning satisfies the green light.

the angry green light is very sporadic in when it feels like flashing at me and/or slowly killing me no matter when i use the suits. thankfully i got the rat guy his uniform and shouldn't have to deal with too much more of the sewers?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The green flash is a warning timer, not indicative of if you are being dealt damage or not, and the damage dealt is also on a timer. All the suit does is stop the timer from ticking up, so if you were already in a damaging area for too long, you will keep being dealt damage even after activating a suit, until the timer ticks back down below the threshold.
I'll see if I can pull up the exact rules for it.

Edit: Right. There's two sector specials in strife, and like with Doom standing on these floors triggers their behaviour. However, the specials themselves don't deal the damage. If the player isn't protected, it increases a "hazardcount" counter by 2 or 4 units (weak or strong) for every tic they stand in it. If the count is non-zero, the screen starts flashing, and the counter drops 1 (so it always ticks up faster than back down).
Once the counter has passed 16*TICRATE (16*35, so 16 seconds), the flash stays on and they receive 5 damage every second. However, the important part here is they are still ticking up the "hazardcount" as long as they stand in the sector, and putting on an environment suit will only stop it from counting up. So unless you have stacked up enough health items, standing in that sector will be fatal over time, even if you haven't been killed by it yet.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 16, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Geight posted:

You say this, but then link a video of nearly two minutes of dudes getting killed in the same way.

If you didn't notice the video is a joke related to Dark Messiah. Sir Kicksalot Deathboot is present on all videogames with convenient placed spike racks and pits.

Watch any Bulletstorm LP with someone knowing what to do and there's no stop.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rocket Pan posted:

The green flash is a warning timer, not indicative of if you are being dealt damage or not, and the damage dealt is also on a timer. All the suit does is stop the timer from ticking up, so if you were already in a damaging area for too long, you will keep being dealt damage even after activating a suit, until the timer ticks back down below the threshold.
I'll see if I can pull up the exact rules for it.

Edit: Right. There's two sector specials in strife, and like with Doom standing on these floors triggers their behaviour. However, the specials themselves don't deal the damage. If the player isn't protected, it increases a "hazardcount" counter by 2 or 4 units (weak or strong) for every tic they stand in it. If the count is non-zero, the screen starts flashing, and the counter drops 1 (so it always ticks up faster than back down).
Once the counter has passed 16*TICRATE (16*35, so 16 seconds), the flash stays on and they receive 5 damage every second. However, the important part here is they are still ticking up the "hazardcount" as long as they stand in the sector, and putting on an environment suit will only stop it from counting up. So unless you have stacked up enough health items, standing in that sector will be fatal over time, even if you haven't been killed by it yet.
You could have linked to the wiki.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
DNF's engine was mentioned earlier, but here are the exact details:

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Unreal_Engine_Versions/1#DNF_engine_history

TL;DR: It's running a heavily modified Unreal Engine 1.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

This is arguably more mindblowing than when I learned that Bioshock was actually using UE2 instead of UE3.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Bleeding heck. So it looks like a Ferrari but stutters along with a Lada motor under the bonnet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Don't the CoD games still have legacy code dating back all the way to Quake 1?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Alain Post posted:

I believe you are thinking of every video game.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Alain Post posted:

CoD still uses some of the same concepts and such in networking and some of the lower level systems, but there is almost certainly Q3 code, which could have very easily been in Q1. Nothing significant, though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alain Post posted:

If you look through the Half-Life 2 SDK you'll see network subsystem code dating back to 96-97.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Alain Post posted:

There's Quake 1 DNA in practically every modern game today.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Quake_-_family_tree.svg for a few examples including BLOPS which was the latest game at the time of the image.

People like to mention the importance of Carmack to the industry, you literally can't overstate it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looking at the very bottom of that tree reminds me that I need to try Star Trek: Elite Force II at some point. I mean, I rather liked Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force; despite being rather unfamiliar with Voyager as a whole (the general opinion I've gathered since then being that I didn't miss much of value), and this one is more tied to TNG, the Star Trek I'm most familiar with. Can't be TOO bad, surely?

I actually had a darn lot of fun with the Holomatches in Elite Force, too. Granted, I only played bots, but it was sort of a gateway into other arena games like the Unreal Tournament series, so I'm rather appreciative of it, considering.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Alain Post posted:

The COD games through at least Black Ops 2 run Quake 3 still, completely with the fps/physics bug.

Shadow Hog posted:

Looking at the very bottom of that tree reminds me that I need to try Star Trek: Elite Force II at some point. I mean, I rather liked Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force; despite being rather unfamiliar with Voyager as a whole (the general opinion I've gathered since then being that I didn't miss much of value), and this one is more tied to TNG, the Star Trek I'm most familiar with. Can't be TOO bad, surely?

I'm sorta halfway through Elite Force II, and it's ok. It's not as good as Elite Force 1, but it's still one of the five good Star Trek games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

JUST missing the Cacowards, Threshold Of Pain Episode 2 is out now. I've yet to play it, but I really liked the first episode. This was meant to be the full three-episode release, but things apparently got big and complex enough so that it won't happen until sometime next year.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Just tried Descent and Descent: Maximum for the PS1.

Protip: Don't play Descent and Descent: Maximum for the PS1. :barf:

Sure, I'm spoiled now that I'm using the XB360 dual analog gamepad and DXX-Rebirth, but come on. This poo poo is a slideshow.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

To be honest, that's probably better than how the PC version ran when it launched. It also looked a hell of a lot better at that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Elliotw2 posted:

To be honest, that's probably better than how the PC version ran when it launched. It also looked a hell of a lot better at that.

'descent.exe -superhires' on a Pentium 100MHz was Descent bliss. The music was better on the PS1 and the FMVs were a welcome addition.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 17, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just consider that there was also going to be a Saturn version of the game.

I almost kinda wish there ultimately was, actually. I have a bit of a soft spot for Sega's little machine-that-really-couldn't-because-its-hardware-was-a-mess-but-it-tried-regardless.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, Saturn Quake's pretty cool, since they made custom enemy layouts in return for not supporting any form of multiplayer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

Hey, Saturn Quake's pretty cool, since they made custom enemy layouts in return for not supporting any form of multiplayer.

Really? So you could just say where you wanted however many enemies before starting a level? Or do you mean they screwed around with the enemy layouts themselves, so it was different than the pc version?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Really? So you could just say where you wanted however many enemies before starting a level? Or do you mean they screwed around with the enemy layouts themselves, so it was different than the pc version?

It was probably more a consequence of having to optimize the enemy layouts so there weren't too many on screen at the same time. The Saturn being able to play Quake and play it well is a bit of a miracle. It does have 4 exclusive levels that replaced the 4 secret levels from the original game, though.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Can someone recommend me some Doom maps that plays well with the DemonSteele gameplay mod?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Just tried Descent and Descent: Maximum for the PS1.

Protip: Don't play Descent and Descent: Maximum for the PS1. :barf:

I've been trying to offload my PS1 copy of Descent. It isn't going well.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Reive posted:

Can someone recommend me some Doom maps that plays well with the DemonSteele gameplay mod?

You could try Resurgence. It gets pretty brutal, but that should make it interesting/exciting with Demonsteele. Also, I've just played through Plutonia with Demonsteele, and it was good even though you can totally jump/dash straight to the exit in some maps.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I meant they changed the enemy layouts themselves. It's a lot harder and denser, and they also added real time lights to a few things, so it's more like darkplaces on hard than normal quake on medium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N14TinDCrS0

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Reive posted:

Most of the testing was done in Scythe 2 so that's supposed to work really well.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, I meant they changed the enemy layouts themselves. It's a lot harder and denser, and they also added real time lights to a few things, so it's more like darkplaces on hard than normal quake on medium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N14TinDCrS0

My favorite part of Saturn Quake was the inclusion of Dank and Scud as an easter egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4lCaLsoYxg

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

I dunno. I remember Descent running smooth as silk on my family's IBM Aptiva back in the day, and it only had a 75 MHz processor.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SavageMessiah posted:

Most of the testing was done in Scythe 2 so that's supposed to work really well.

It's not bad (i mean, Scythe 2 is one of the best mapsets ever made, so of course it's not bad), but a lot of it is trivialized by the jumping abilities DemonSteele gives you.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

Saturn Quake is cool just for being possible at all. Lobotomy were mad geniuses when it came to programming for the Saturn. Shame they weren't quite mad geniuses when it came to accounting.

I still kinda need to play more than a few stages of that, if only to see the forest stage in episode 2, although I really worry Quake with a controller will be about as painful as it sounds, even if Powerslave's control scheme generally works. Especially Spawns. I can barely kill the bastards in a timely, not-exploding-in-my-face fashion with mouselook; I shudder to think how difficult it must be with the Saturn controls. (The cheat-enabled analog-look mode is kinda nice I guess but you can't customize it worth a drat, vertical aiming is inverted and you can't look directly up/down like you can in the default controls, which is weird.)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Quake 2 on the PS1 is a pretty good technical achievement too. They rejigged some layouts to fit the architecture of the console, but didn't diminish the quality at all.
You could also plug in the PS1 mouse and use it for aiming with the d-pad in your left hand replacing WASD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love E1M1 in Quake so much :swoon: