Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man, I was totally going to guess that something had followed her back from D&D like a demon hitchhiking out of hell, but I forgot to post that.
I can't, my highest guy is like level 8. This newest elf warrior I made is a keeper though, I'm gonna stick to it this time.

An abomination ...

Holy poo poo prospective law students are definitely pride demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I've actually never seen this guy...but I do draw crazies like a moth to a bug zapper.

And you can get out at level 8. Have you closed the big rift at haven yet?

(and it's not 60 hours if you only play 2 hours, then reboot because your dwarf's pubeseyebrows were the wrong shade of orange x30.)

The Warszawa posted:

An abomination ...

Holy poo poo prospective law students are definitely pride demons.

Until admissions letters post...then they are rage demons. According to the codex, they are also the dumbest of the demons.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Smerdyakov posted:

Clearly you know nothing of public defenders offices and would never be hired in *undisclosed location*.

Apparently your reading comprehension score wasn't the make or break factor for you.

Lawyers now making 500k a year after getting a full ride to a top school have better things to do than post in this thread, whereas people who regret going have nothing but free time they can use to warn strangers about their failure to thrive.

The combination of debt and lack of alternatives seems to make a lot of lawyers resentful and anxious, as evidenced by much of this thread.

ActusRhesus is clearly unhappy with their life and the legal profession in general, don't know why everyone else thinks they're being personally attacked or addressed.

Also you do realize how, with your 161 LSAT (which you studied for) and "grades that don't translate into a GPA," you should probably be more concerned about the advice from the the second person in your example below, right?

Smerdyakov posted:

If someone got a 178 and got no scholarships and was in the top 10% of their class and is currently unemployed and deep in debt, that's worth hearing about. Meanwhile, the opinion of someone that got a 148 and went to East Bumblefuck U for 200k of debt and never wanted to be a lawyer to begin with maybe isn't the best advisor.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Wait...people actually study for the LSAT?

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

ActusRhesus posted:

Paying 100 bucks for old tests and studying for LSAT saved me like 160k in tuition.

Of course if I scored lower I might not have gone to law school, so jokes on me.

Don't study for LSATs, don't go to law school.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I don't like things that require planning and effort. (Yet another reason I was better suited for a T50 than a T14.)

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Somewhere on the Isle of Man, Adar smiles to himself as he hits save on Smerdyakov.txt. "One day..."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm not very smart. I had to take Kaplan to get my score out of the 150s. I'm also not motivated enough to do things (like study for the lsat) without a schedule. I got a 163 which got me a partial ride to a t50 in the area where I practice.

That guy has special snowflake written all over him. I had it too. Dealing with realizing I'm just average loving sucked. He'll never go to ls, or he'll go to hys, or he'll go to east bubblegum university of law, but either way, no one will ever like him.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lote posted:

Somewhere on the Isle of Man, Adar smiles to himself as he hits save on Smerdyakov.txt. "One day..."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Who is Labor Lawyers?

Go win this loving league.

Pretty sure it's mofauxhawk, cause all he used to post about was wanting to be a union side labor lawyer.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The Senior Partner put his pencil down and looked up, and the Warszawa smiled.

"The S comes before the Z," said the Senior Partner, a playful glint in his eyes. He laughed, holding up the pad of yellow lined paper they'd been working on since midnight. Line after line, page after page, the young catamite's name scrawled again and again in graphite but every time spelled wrong...until now.

"I hear from the junior partners that you have personal goals," said the Senior Partner as he rolled his leather executive chair around the desk. The Partner's legs fit perfectly around the Warszawa's, two knobby sharkskin knees against the young man's Tom Ford-clad thighs. "Tell me about them."

The Warszawa licked his lips. This was as good a time as any, the sky outside the Senior Patner's windows a deep purple as the sun threatened to rise. The Warszawa slowly slipped to his knees and thought how far he'd come, how few others could say they'd seen their name spelled correctly on the Partner's pad.

"I do have a goal," he said, looking up into the Partner's face. "And that goal is yourggllmfffgglllllffff..."

Sometimes when I'm writing now I go "the s comes bfore the z"and giggle.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm not very smart.

the fact you were willing to say this already makes you smarter than what's his face.

And I wouldn't equate high LSAT alone with "smart." (Or any standardized test for that matter). My score was somewhere in the 160s, can't recall exactly what it was because it was like 8 years ago, did not study, because *meh* I'm kind of an arrogant northeastern bitch, (and have traditionally been a high tester...I did study for the bar though...sort of...if showing up to Barbri, and then turning your multi-state flashcards into a drinking game counts as studying.) . But the fact I test well doesn't make me "smart" or you "not smart." I just test well. on one particular model of test. (though not as well as some in here, drat guys!) And almost everyone had special snowflake syndrome at some point in time. Big take home point, don't beat yourself up. you got into a T50, and you got employed afterwards...two things a lot of other people can't claim.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man, I was totally going to guess that something had followed her back from D&D like a demon hitchhiking out of hell, but I forgot to post that.
I can't, my highest guy is like level 8. This newest elf warrior I made is a keeper though, I'm gonna stick to it this time.
You're fine for Orlais and the followup.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Ersatz posted:

You're fine for Orlais and the followup.

yup. get to skyhold and go do winter palace. but make sure you've flirted lots with josie first. Also...don't return to the ballroom until you've found all the stupid coins and halla statutes. Still pissed I missed the belle of the ball achievement. Fuckers.

OK, cats, it's been fun...but since no one else feels compelled to stay in the building, I'm out. Time to go orchestrate some hot Qunari on dwarf bear action.

#yourtaxdollarsatwork, #godilovethepublicsector, #gounions

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 16, 2014

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Each of you fuckers should be ashamed for ruining my post-divorce self-betterment efforts, because now I'm going to go buy Dragon Age, and instead of lifting weights, running on the treadmill, and packing food for the hungry, I'm going to be staring at a screen pretending to have elf sex or something.

EDIT: I haven't even had time to get into Grand Theft Auto V either, now this.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Playing DA:I, even if you spend all your time rerolling and playing the Hinterlands so your elf dressup barbie is as pretty as possible, is easily a better use of your time than the gym or charity. Get buff in 2015. 2014 is for fuckin elves.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You just need some super convoluted setup where you raise your computer monitor on a shoddily-assembled IKEA standing desk in front of the treadmill and then play DA:I using a controller and headphones while walking on the treadmill. BAM, small amounts of exercise, lots of elf sex. And when the elf sex gets heated, you have the excuse that your flushed cheeks were caused by exercise. Then you get to be sad when it all comes crashing down because you forgot to take the headphones off when getting off the treadmill.

:EDIT: If it weren't for the drat audio bug I'd be sorely tempted to try this with my laptop and in-home streaming this evening. But without background music I don't know if I'm willing to listen to my own huffing and puffing while trapped in headphones.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Stop posted:

Don't study for LSATs, don't go to law school.
Being an LSAT instructor was actually kinda neat. If I could do it over again I would have taken the LSAT but just said the hell with law school. Two classes = about $700 a week for <20 hours of work plus more hours tutoring if you wanted them.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Lote posted:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
At some point the OPs of the earliest threads used to have a list of law students/lawyers

I should go categorize them into known practicing and happy/known practicing and suicidal/quit and happy/dead, but that's too mean even for me

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soothing Vapors posted:

WJ take heed, this is how you do a good humblesmugbrag

my grandfather gave full ride as merit scholarship

the merit was being his grandson

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActusRhesus posted:

Wait...people actually study for the LSAT bar?

fixed for me

i lost a good friend from law school because of how I passed without studying and he thought I was lying or something idk

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remedy was innocent

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

That guy has special snowflake written all over him. I had it too. Dealing with realizing I'm just average loving sucked. He'll never go to ls, or he'll go to hys, or he'll go to east bubblegum university of law, but either way, no one will ever like him.

God this is painful to go through. I got approached about applying for a company and I just looked at their recent hires page... and gently caress. I am not that guy. I was never that guy. There was no cosmic alignment where I could ever have been that guy.

Also when I'm Judge Judy and executioner I am going to personally kick in the dick every gently caress wit that puts MA (Cantab) on their CV. The ones that actually have an LLM get kicked in the dick twice.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

fixed for me

i lost a good friend from law school because of how I passed without studying and he thought I was lying or something idk

Why would anyone in law school give a poo poo about anyone else's LSAT score? Plenty of other poo poo to be neurotic about IMO

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stop posted:

Why would anyone in law school give a poo poo about anyone else's LSAT score? Plenty of other poo poo to be neurotic about IMO

passed the bar, that is

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Judge Judy and executioner

poetry

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Smerdyakov posted:

Maybe you can post a gif about how you "can't even." It's as if you practice law exclusively in the comments section of the Huffington Post.

But yes, I'm done. This thread has taught me that the LSAT and GPA are everything and that only the truly mediocre would say otherwise.

This guy is probably still reading the thread so I'll just mention my good friend went to Penn, lsat in the 170s, graduated same year as me (08), lost his biglaw job in the crash, only could get offers for 50k doing 60+ hr weeks and has been doing doc review for four years and still has 150k in debt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

you really should because the logic game section is really non-intuitive and practicing it even a little bit will dramatically help compared to doing it cold

reading comprehension and logic have much less headroom for improvement though

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I took the LSAT cold, got a 171, practiced some logic games, and repeatedly scored 178-179 on practice exams. 178 in real life, top 10% in law school, engineering background.

Spent a year working for free after law school before getting a recommendation from a personal friend that got me an interview at a BigLaw firm.

Go to law school.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

My study for the LSAT bar was spamming the BarBri MBE app every night until it told me I was 95th percentile, but probably would do it differently in a state that gives a poo poo about essays.

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: only the truly mediocre would say otherwise

Folly
May 26, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

This guy is probably still reading the thread so I'll just mention my good friend went to Penn, lsat in the 170s, graduated same year as me (08), lost his biglaw job in the crash, only could get offers for 50k doing 60+ hr weeks and has been doing doc review for four years and still has 150k in debt.

This is almost me, similar LSAT and similarly ranked state school, class of 2011. I only got about a half-ride due to my undergrad GPA sucking. My law school grades were good. I was top 10% until I screwed up a final exam my last semester and graduated top 11%. I have never had a job practicing law. I'm still doing the IT work that I did before law school. But hey, at least I don't have debt. Don't go to law school, or any school, just looking for change or to get your act together. Have your act together first, and then have a real reason to go that you can confidently articulate to others.

What's the defining line for BigLaw generally and in this thread?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DevilStick posted:

Technically, yes. I got a 46. If I can do it, surely law school will be a good investment for you. :troll:

46:hf:46

oldtimer.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

you really should because the logic game section is really non-intuitive and practicing it even a little bit will dramatically help compared to doing it cold

Mild dyslexia. the logic games section was going to be a punt for me no matter how much studying I did...so I did none. Worked out ok.

In all my years of practice, I have never needed to draw a matrix to figure out what days Dr. A see patients on the fourth floor.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 17, 2014

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What spec are people using in conjunction with knight enchanter. Fire or ice both look pretty good

Also why can't I bump clams with Cassandra this is loving bullshit

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I want that strong, scarred, yet feminine face looking up at me from my big pillowy qunari tits

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

Ice is the best and coolest

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

165 LSAT, T20 school (pro-tip: T(X) means it's ranked about the greatest number it could be while falling inside X). I have an okay job mostly due to luck and extreme geographic flexibility. It could have been a lot worse, and it is for many, even if they did better in law school. Best be willing to hustle and take whatever work you can get for whatever pay they'll give. Whether it's growing your own practice or convincing employers to look at you, everyone gets hazed one way or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOoXwxqeVzg

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 17, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

Mild dyslexia. the logic games section was going to be a punt for me no matter how much studying I did...so I did none. Worked out ok.

In all my years of practice, I have never needed to draw a matrix to figure out what days Dr. A see's patients on the fourth floor.

hey i didn't say studying for the lsat was going to get you anything but a better lsat score, it certainly isn't useful for life :v:

all those skills at rocking standardized tests are so useless now :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

What spec are people using in conjunction with knight enchanter. Fire or ice both look pretty good

Also why can't I bump clams with Cassandra this is loving bullshit

I think winter's grasp and the freeze ability are a little more useful for KE, because you can use it ranged if you want to pull back because you're out of potions, for example, and it's handy melee because...freezing. I maxed out KE to get the resurrection/heal stuff and then dropped a little bit into winter's grasp. (but fire does look cool)