Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ratpick posted:

Hey gnome, sorry to bug you about this again, but when can I expect copies of Inverse World with doodles in to start shipping? Thing is, some water damage was discovered in the building I live in and I've been forced to relocate until poo poo gets fixed, which will apparently taken until mid-to-late January. The reason I'm worried about this is that in the case of books they're very rarely actually delivered to the delivery address and instead held at the local post office, and if I don't receive notification of it having arrived at my local post office on account of not living at my home address, the postal service might send it back. (I think they only hold on to packages that haven't been picked up for seven days)

Well I actually only just finished all the doodles this past week. Right now, Mikan is in the middle of a move, again, and then I will be mailing her these doodled copies to write commentary in, along with a ton of addresses and postcards. Once Mikan gets those, she should be able to start on sending all the out, so it is looking like we'll be shipping those out at long last in January/February anyway.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Because I don't own it :p

Guess it's time to hit up eBay!

Well you don't need to go that far, DTRPG has all the old 1E adventures on it: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/17068/T14-Temple-of-Elemental-Evil-1e?term=temple+of+elem&it=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

gnome7 posted:

Well you don't need to go that far, DTRPG has all the old 1E adventures on it: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/17068/T14-Temple-of-Elemental-Evil-1e?term=temple+of+elem&it=1

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Wasn't there a class for special guest stars? I vaguely remember such a thing.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Yes, gnome made such a playbook, called exactly that—the Guest Star. He even provided a nice preview for it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

djw175 posted:

Wasn't there a class for special guest stars? I vaguely remember such a thing.

There sure is.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gnome7 posted:

Well I actually only just finished all the doodles this past week. Right now, Mikan is in the middle of a move, again, and then I will be mailing her these doodled copies to write commentary in, along with a ton of addresses and postcards. Once Mikan gets those, she should be able to start on sending all the out, so it is looking like we'll be shipping those out at long last in January/February anyway.

Alright, good to know! I'm still really looking forward to the actual physical copy of Inverse World simply because having physical books is nice, even though at the moment I don't even have any Inverse World games planned. Suffice to say that with just the PDF I've gotten more than my money's worth in gaming out of it even though I've since found other games to obsess over. Maybe actually getting the physical copy will spark my interest in running IW again. :)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Yes, gnome made such a playbook, called exactly that—the Guest Star. He even provided a nice preview for it.

Yeah OK, I usually ignore custom classes but that's fantastic.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah OK, I usually ignore custom classes

why

E: So a while back, I talked about creating little supplements for some of the stuff I had run in my own Dungeon World games, as well as some stuff I might not get to use since I don't really have anyone to play with anymore.

Here's a test run for one:

Black Powder

(big empty spaces will eventually have art)

The general idea is that I create self contained little packets of lore and rules that anyone can just pick up and use, or modify to suit their own needs. Upcoming stuff I'm working on include:

-Stuff From Space: weapons and armor made from meteorite, weird alien creatures to fight, astromancy

-Ashlung Elves: a race of elves that live in a giant ash desert, the remnants of an almost-infinite forest that burned down long ago (and some say might still be burning to this very day), who ride around on giant moths and have developed primitive gas masks in order to venture outside of their bio-domes, rules for playing one, some lore and setting information for them, maybe a compendium class, and some artifacts

-Sylvans: plant people, but a bunch of different varieties of them. Straight up walking trees, undead druids using nature to sustain their lives, fungal zombies, etc.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 16, 2014

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah OK, I usually ignore custom classes but that's fantastic.

This is something I'd use not just in Dungeon World, but in any game, ever, for the rest of eternity. Thanks for designing this, gnome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

As might be gathered from above, I don't play much, so I don't need eight versions of the wizard or whatever people come up with. But the Guest Star is just a really cool concept, neatly integrated into the existing game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm sure this comes up pretty regularly, but: does anyone know of any good examples of Dungeon World games that have been recorded and put on YouTube or whatever? I want to up my GMing game, especially when it comes to making combat more interesting and dramatic, but unfortunately most of the advice I've gotten has been more abstract than I'm capable of turning into actual GMing improvements.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Harrow posted:

I'm sure this comes up pretty regularly, but: does anyone know of any good examples of Dungeon World games that have been recorded and put on YouTube or whatever? I want to up my GMing game, especially when it comes to making combat more interesting and dramatic, but unfortunately most of the advice I've gotten has been more abstract than I'm capable of turning into actual GMing improvements.

One Shots podcast played some Dungeon World at one point. They were pretty entertaining.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Harrow posted:

Some hard bits of advice for making combat more dramatic and interesting.

-Ask your players for notable things in the environment. If they don't, put them there yourself. Fires, Windows, Balconies, Big Scary Cliff Edges, whatever, throw something notable in every fight.
-Half way through a fight, through in a curve ball. Make the Golem change shape or have a new weapon, have new Orcs rush into the room, equipped with a different set of equipment.
-Give your enemies interesting abilities and powers. This one is my fave. Enemies that tunnel, emit poison, gently caress with gravity, even simple stuff like a shield wall or a big archer volley makes a fight way more dynamic.

Mostly though, keep your players abilities in mind and always make the battlefield itself interesting.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There were a couple of sessions done on One Shot, and 6 Feats Under (from our forums) did an Inverse world set of sessions as well.

http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/
http://feats.podbean.com/

For either of those you're gonna need to look through the archive for the specific episodes you want.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

There were a couple of sessions done on One Shot, and 6 Feats Under (from our forums) did an Inverse world set of sessions as well.

For either of those you're gonna need to look through the archive for the specific episodes you want.

Well no, six feats under uses a comprehensive tag system: http://feats.podbean.com/category/inverse-world/

So you don't need to search very hard on there, at least.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

gnome7 posted:

Well no, six feats under uses a comprehensive tag system: http://feats.podbean.com/category/inverse-world/

The OSP versions, also using tags! Hooray!

http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/tag/dungeon-world/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks, everyone! I'm looking forward to listening through those and taking some notes.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Some hard bits of advice for making combat more dramatic and interesting.

-Ask your players for notable things in the environment. If they don't, put them there yourself. Fires, Windows, Balconies, Big Scary Cliff Edges, whatever, throw something notable in every fight.
-Half way through a fight, through in a curve ball. Make the Golem change shape or have a new weapon, have new Orcs rush into the room, equipped with a different set of equipment.
-Give your enemies interesting abilities and powers. This one is my fave. Enemies that tunnel, emit poison, gently caress with gravity, even simple stuff like a shield wall or a big archer volley makes a fight way more dynamic.

Mostly though, keep your players abilities in mind and always make the battlefield itself interesting.

Also, thanks for these, especially the note about making sure things keep being dynamic and throwing in curve balls.

Does anyone have advice for keeping track of things in combat? I'm still dealing with a larger group than I'd like, so sometimes it's hard for me to keep in my head where everyone is, what danger characters are in, that kind of thing. Luckily my players have been doing a pretty good job of both keeping track of their own current situation in battle and being pretty proactive (except for two of the players, but there will always be quiet ones), but I still get lost in the flurry sometimes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

gnome7 posted:

RSIxidor posted:

The OSP versions, also using tags! Hooray!

http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/tag/dungeon-world/
I have been schooled in podcasts. Thanks guys.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm surprised you didn't mention the game you GMed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
He said good examples :v:

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hey man, those games convinced me to play dungeon world in the first place and I have been having a blast.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

They seemed ok to me, what went wrong?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

I see sentrygun's Spirit Catcher in the OP.

Is there a complete or for sell version? I saw someone on the Tavern was asking for something somewhat similar.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
What's there is there. I don't like the design and would redo it entirely now if I really wanted to, and I wouldn't put it up for sale because hunks of it are 'inspired' by Gnome's class books around that time, I'd feel like I was stealing if I tried to get money off of that.

It's effectively finished and I have no qualms with people sharing it, but to really touch it up I'd need to actually play it in a game and I'm already in a spot where it'd be hard to find a time to get people together and run a game myself, god forbid finding a game I can join as a player and actually play the class myself.

I still think the base ideas are pretty cool though, but I was really struggling to come up with enough advanced moves to fill up the whole thing and it definitely shows, and Forceful Release still seems pointlessly mechanical when you should just be throwing spirits at people as your weapon out and out. Maybe if I'm in a writey mood I'll try to revise it anyways, but for now I just changed the incredibly dumb Soul Eater heal value to something that looks less dumb than '2d8+4'.

EDIT: I opened the document up for commenting because that seems like maybe a fun thing.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 18, 2014

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

sentrygun posted:

What's there is there. I don't like the design and would redo it entirely now if I really wanted to, and I wouldn't put it up for sale because hunks of it are 'inspired' by Gnome's class books around that time, I'd feel like I was stealing if I tried to get money off of that.

It's effectively finished and I have no qualms with people sharing it, but to really touch it up I'd need to actually play it in a game and I'm already in a spot where it'd be hard to find a time to get people together and run a game myself, god forbid finding a game I can join as a player and actually play the class myself.

I still think the base ideas are pretty cool though, but I was really struggling to come up with enough advanced moves to fill up the whole thing and it definitely shows, and Forceful Release still seems pointlessly mechanical when you should just be throwing spirits at people as your weapon out and out. Maybe if I'm in a writey mood I'll try to revise it anyways, but for now I just changed the incredibly dumb Soul Eater heal value to something that looks less dumb than '2d8+4'.

EDIT: I opened the document up for commenting because that seems like maybe a fun thing.

Cool, thank you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What software do you folks tend to use to make custom playbooks? I'd like to customize a few for the game I'm about to run and I'm willing to put in some work to make them pretty.

Related question: what's your favorite Bard-type playbook? At the moment I'm liking the looks of gnome7's Improved Bard, but if there are others I'm overlooking I'd love to see them. The setting for the next game involves a religion in which music and travel are sacred, so I wanted to (slightly) rework a version of the Bard class to be like a singing, storytelling missionary. (I'm also modifying the Mage playbook somewhat, mostly just renaming spell foci to fit a few setting quirks.)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Inkscape, but it's a pain in the arse! There's Word templates out there, I'd definitely use those instead.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The Supreme Court posted:

Inkscape, but it's a pain in the arse! There's Word templates out there, I'd definitely use those instead.

I'm of the opposite opinion!
Inkscape is a pain in the rear end, but less so than the Word templates.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Hah, ok! I've not actually used the Word templates (mainly due to just how much time I've wasted in inkscape already), so I assumed they had to be less fiddly. Oh dear.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hah, ok! I've not actually used the Word templates (mainly due to just how much time I've wasted in inkscape already), so I assumed they had to be less fiddly. Oh dear.

In any case, I've been told it isn't recommended to do a whole book that way, but for a 2-3 page playbook, I'd vote inkscape.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
My 4e campaign drew to a close in October after 46 sessions, and my group is hungering for Dungeon World. Decided to just make a small village nestled next to the ruins of part of a huge wall, and let them do the rest.

I found this boss website from Reddit, http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/

Can generate things from maps to taverns to npcs to dungeons. The dungeon one is nice as you can easily reskin and riff off of the mechanics.

I'm planning to just have 15 min loading screens essentially where I do generating if they end up stumbling across a dungeon or whatever. To move from heavy pre prep to just improv will be great. I ran a test session with some DnD veteran mates and ended up with them pulling an elaborate heist on a local Duke to steal his flying machine and weapons collection, all 100% improv.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inkscape it is, then! This'll be a fun adventure.

What's the name of the font most DW playbooks use?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

I find the Word template much less fiddly than Inkscape. Although I may be biased since I created it...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

zarathud posted:

I find the Word template much less fiddly than Inkscape. Although I may be biased since I created it...

And you did good with it, my issue is with Word itself.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So a player in my group just found an item that I think should get a move tied to it. The past 2 sessions it's just been a cool little doodad but I think it deserves a bit of an upgrade.

Basically it's a golden arm that has a robot ghost inside it. She can use the arm to learn about this lost race of robots, and has used it to control robots in the past session. I'd like to get these both in a move but have a drawback in place. Any ideas? I'm working on one right now that's a basic Hold move that has a couple options, but it's not really very elegent. Maybe retheme the elemental summoning power that the Druid has?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Weird rear end Golden Robot Ghost Arm

Once per day, you may beseech the spirit of the arm to coerce a mechanical or unnatural construct to perform a simple task to the best of its ability, regardless of it's previous orders or programming. This task may not violate Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. Furthermore, when spouting lore about robots or robot-related information, the bearer of the arm may take +1.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Harrow posted:

Does anyone have advice for keeping track of things in combat? I'm still dealing with a larger group than I'd like, so sometimes it's hard for me to keep in my head where everyone is, what danger characters are in, that kind of thing. Luckily my players have been doing a pretty good job of both keeping track of their own current situation in battle and being pretty proactive (except for two of the players, but there will always be quiet ones), but I still get lost in the flurry sometimes.

I'm not a DW expert, but for RPGs in general I scale up the detail with complexity. If I have a complicated fight then I pull out markers for the characters (usually dice) and sketch a rough map. DW doesn't use a grid so I just drew on notebook paper.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm not a DW expert, but for RPGs in general I scale up the detail with complexity. If I have a complicated fight then I pull out markers for the characters (usually dice) and sketch a rough map. DW doesn't use a grid so I just drew on notebook paper.
I bought a big piece of whiteboard from Home Depot and cut it into manageable chunks, I throw it down on the table and give everyone markers and tell them to draw the environment and be sure to add interesting environmental objects.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
After a long, long hiatus of playing any kind of live role playing game (and I'd like to thank you SA goons for keeping me sane with the occasional PbP DW game) I finally got to run a a live game with my wife, my brother, and my best friend. My brother actually invited himself to the game, but I'm glad he was there, he provided a lot of entertainment if not distraction. I decided to recycle a game that only made it two encounters on RPoL.net before it died since I really liked the dungeon; The Hells of Hellirhöll. Hellirhöll is a silver mining town in my not-Norse setting which supplies the nearby keep and last fortification in the west before the badlands with silver and basalt stone.

During a recent cave-in in the mines, a rift into a mysterious cave system has opened up. Since then shapes have been seen moving in the darkness and fewer and fewer workers return every day. The foreman requested help from the commander of the keep, Vesturkeep, but was only supplied intrepid adventurers. My friend went with a Dwarf Berserker, instead of Barbarian, name Rogi who is on the lamb from a Dwarf noble after courting his fiance. (Unfortunately, he was unimpressed with Berserker and is going to re-roll Fae; I wish he had played Brute from the start.) My brother went with Errol Flynn the Dashing Hero, named Airk, who is famous and infamous across the region. He really lead the narrative charge in this game, creating ropes and rafters to swing from and riding mine carts into battle despite the wounded miners resting inside. My wife went with witch after I encouraged her not to play Druid a 3rd time., named Vess, who couldn't decide if she was a weather witch or a wicked witch. She got really overzealous with potion making, even not participating in a fight so she could make more; but she kept trying to use Black Magic for utilities and Potion for attacks. It took several tries to get her to realize they go the other way around. When Vess sound out that she could be any race she wanted, she chose this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unW7UYXSQNY (no embed video, too intrusive.) I'm sorry for introducing this to people who have never seen it.

Getting into the game, Galwin, the foreman, ushers them into the mines, as more people have vanished, including the militia who took the lift down. Now the lift was trapped at the bottom somehow. But before they begin a two mile trek through old mine tunnels, Airk asks, "Is there still a rope from the lift?" he rolls high on his Daring Devil and not only slides down the rope with makeshift equipment, but takes Rogi with him. Vess simply descends on her broom when I inform her floating down will not require a Broomstick roll, since she is just slowly falling, but going up will. Sliding down, Airk spots one of the landing half way down has miners trapped at it, waiting for the lift which will never come. He waves and rides on by, but Vess decides to do some community service and fly them one at a time to the top of the shaft. Meanwhile, down below, Rogi and Airk investigate the broken lift to find the stone walls themselves seem to be gripping the elevator, trapping it on the bottom level. As they begin relighting the snuffed torches, Vess gets to the last 2 miners when sounds of combat sound from close by the landing. Without enough time to fly them both up, Airk convinces Vess to slowfall them both to the bottom. Before she can safely reach, two figures hurl stone, solid stone, spears at her from the ledge they just left. Vess fails her roll and I tell her she can still dodge the spear, but she has to drop both her passengers down the shaft to do so. So she does... Both miners are severely wounded from the remaining fall despite Airk's efforts to catch one with a water trough. Afterwards the attackers disappear from the ledge.

Below, Rogi begins scouting out the mine while Airk bandages the miners the best he can. Vess meanwhile tries to convince the miners to drink charm potions she had slapped "healing potion" on the label. Further down the tunnel, Rogi discovers the fate of many of the miners when he finds a room littered with bodies and very soon, light and the sounds of heavy footfalls come from a nearby tunnel. As 3 stone-skinned creatures with crystalline protrusions on their backs and shoulder enter the room, Rogi works himself into a rage. Unfazed, they clutch at the ground, drawing forth stone spears from the rock floor, one of them creating a stone shield that looked more like a wall. Hurling his handaxe at one, Rogi charges another with extreme force, bowling them down. From up the tunnel, Vess and Airk hear the call of battle; so Airk jumps into the mine cart he was loading the mine-workers in and rides them into battle. Vess decides this is a good time to make potions and sets out to make a potion of wetness. A bottle of water? no, a potion that makes things wet so she can use her lightning on it as she was a weather witch at the time. After I explain to her that they would have to drink the potion for it to take effect, she decides to switch to wicked witch, losing lightning. I convince her to make a potion of water manipulation and so she doesn't miss out on the battle, give her several drawbacks for making it so hastily.

Arriving at the scene, Airk sees Rogi get knocked down in turn, and rides the cart into a pile of shoring, workers and all, so he can do some impressive acrobatics ending with him on one of these warrior's backs. Succeeding in this endeavor, but failing to decapitate his foe, Airk next takes to the rafters to harass them from above. Rogi gets back to his feet and throws his weight around some more, ending one of the creatures in a shower of rocks. Vess arrives and Quaffs a potion, manipulating the water trough to do some Avatar-style water bending (why didn't she play that class?) Now realizing her damage die is a d4, I pick tags for her and have her roll Black Magic instead. Whiffing the roll, Vess takes out a nearby support beam, already damaged by Rogi earlier in the fight, and the rafter Airk is on collapses. Ever the dare-devil, Airk uses the swing of the falling beam to impale one of the warriors, but not before Rogi jumps up and slays the same target. Rogi, rolling high, took the +d6 and exposed himself to danger, killing the warrior and having Airk smack him in the back of the head with a falling support beam. (Airk, didn't miss, but his target died, so I made him roll Rogi's damage for acting so rash.) Vess quaffs another potion of water control, they have limited use as a drawback, and finally gets a good shot in and kills the remaining warrior, moping up the fight had she had a mob instead of a broom. As the second potion wears off, Vess also learned the side effect of hastily made potions as she began feeling dry and brittle as opposed to fluid-y and slosh-y and spent several minutes after the fight in the water trough.

Here, it was getting late, so we called it after deciding to fly out the two wounded men, who have absolute trust in Vess, even though her healing potions didn't help. Unfortunately, everyone took a while to get into the game-mood, so we had a late start. because of this, no one was able to get any XP for end of session. despite my wife being indecisive, it was my brother, and PbtA veteran who took the longest to make his character, nearly an hour. Best friend's character was done in 5 minutes. Since I was recycling this dungeon, I had several room layouts in my head already from last time, so it made filling rooms with useful stuff easy. The last group walked the 2 miles down the tunnels and fought 6 of these guys up on that ledge where the miners were, so it was funny to see Airk just jump everyone down a 50 meter deep mineshaft. For the second fight, I went with far fewer than 6 to fight, as a party of 5 had trouble with these things last time, but these guys did alright, handling the 3 with only Rogi getting injured.

I hope everyone enjoyed my play report, I had a fun night. My brother was always quick to jump in with something to add to the setting, I hope the other two will take from his lead some and he'll let them have the reins a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Babe Magnet posted:

Weird rear end Golden Robot Ghost Arm

Once per day, you may beseech the spirit of the arm to coerce a mechanical or unnatural construct to perform a simple task to the best of its ability, regardless of it's previous orders or programming. This task may not violate Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. Furthermore, when spouting lore about robots or robot-related information, the bearer of the arm may take +1.

When you beseech a mechanical or unnatural construct to carry out your orders, roll +Cha. On 10+, it completes your order to the best of its ability. On 7-9, choose 1:
* It interprets your order correctly, except for one crucial detail.
* You gain its emnity once it completes your order.