Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

every person interested in living there posted:

an earthquake could scare away some of the shitheads and I might have a chance at buying a place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fabricated posted:

also to drive out all of the remaining poors that might have still been able to make property taxes on houses that have been in their family for years
they're already gone

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Qirex stakes his claim to the pile of rubble that used to be a hackerspace/second hand book store

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh there's no way I could afford an actual lot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

they're already gone

my developer family friends from here say that even east palo alto is gettin gentrified on the edges p hard nowadays

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What was the one for the process of becoming deli meat

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

r u seeking 2 become fully delitized

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Seattle police are searching for explosives at Amazon’s headquarters after a threatening letter was found at one of the company’s buildings just north of the city’s downtown district, authorities said on Monday.

Amazon building security contacted Seattle police at 10:30 am after staff found a note inside a bathroom at one of the buildings that make up Amazon’s sprawling headquarters, police said, without disclosing the contents of the note.

The exact building was not identified, but police said it was on the 400 block of Terry Avenue North, where the most prominent Amazon buildings are located.

Police said some employees had been evacuated while arson and bomb squad teams, along with explosive detection dog teams, searched the area.

Amazon did not return calls seeking comment.

According to Seattle tech news site GeekWire, citing sources close to the situation, Amazon’s Day 1 South building was closed because of the threat and some employees had returned home to work.

Day 1 South is at the center of Amazon’s headquarters in the South Lake Union neighborhood. The online retailer and cloud computing company is the biggest employer in the area, with thousands of staff in several buildings.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Yo is great because this slew of "one-button" apps really are the wave of the future. I have a different one-button app for everything that I want. So for example if I want to send a message to my friend all I have to do is open my folder for messaging app folders and then go to the folder with the messaging app for the particular message i want to send and then open that and then open the app and then go to their name and then tap it and boom only one click to send a message

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fabricated posted:

If there's ever a massive bay-destroying earthquake the subsequent rush to rebuild even bigger/densely packed dwellings will make your head spin

also to drive out all of the remaining poors that might have still been able to make property taxes on houses that have been in their family for years

I thought that the lack of density was a major driver of the poors getting priced out.

a mass reset of property validations for tax purposes would be a great thing for that area because 3/4 of the bay doesn't get any blowback from the effects of being nimby as hell but I'm sure that there would be a massive push to exempt the rebuilt properties from triggering the tax recalculation.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my developer family friends from here say that even east palo alto is gettin gentrified on the edges p hard nowadays

how is oakland weathering the gentrification wave?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prefect posted:

how is oakland weathering the gentrification wave?

housing prices have doubled in the last 2 years but that's an average, everywhere within a 1/2 mile of a bart station is waaaay up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

why dont you guys just convince your bosses to let you wfh and then you can mob up in peoria or somewhere cheap

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i lived half a mile from the Ashby BART (read south berkeley/oakland area 'sketchy' to white folks although it's full of artisinal organic stores) and my rent was $1400 when I moved in. the same place 18 months later is $2500.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

why dont you guys just convince your bosses to let you wfh and then you can mob up in peoria or somewhere cheap

there's semi-serious talk of a portland satellite office

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

there's semi-serious talk of a portland satellite office

if you are a bay startup and make your people work in the bay you are no better than walmart, who mandates that all their executives live in bentonville

you're in jail too, you'rre just paying 8x per square foot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

if you are a bay startup and make your people work in the bay you are no better than walmart, who mandates that all their executives live in bentonville

you're in jail too, you'rre just paying 8x per square foot

nah I have rent control so I'm square in the gently caress you got mine class

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i would love to be able to wfh but between cad licensing nonsense and in-person collaboration being necessary with olds it's probably not going to happen until i myself am an old

like i could sooner see task-based billing/payment supplanting hourly tracking before wfh happens in engineering

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

i would probably stomp on a puppy for rent control around here at rates like two years ago

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

lol u live in the projects?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would love to be able to wfh but between cad licensing nonsense and in-person collaboration being necessary with olds it's probably not going to happen until i myself am an old

like i could sooner see task-based billing/payment supplanting hourly tracking before wfh happens in engineering

you can VPN in or check out a floating license

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would probably stomp on a puppy for rent control around here at rates like two years ago
been in my place for 9 years, kind of expecting a buyout offer [I think there's only two other people in my building who've been here longer but it's going to have to be a shitload for me to not instantly turn it down]

Jonny 290 posted:

nob hill :smuggo:

well, lower nob hill

actually "tendernob"

swear it's not the tenderloin though, junkies don't like climbing hills

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

iirc every building built prior to 1960- something in San Francisco is automatically rent controlled

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

actually "tendernob"

swear it's not the tenderloin though, junkies don't like climbing hills

hah i just helped my buddy move there - he's payin (i think) $1600 for a room in a 3BR with two other roommates, one of which also has a dog

we're prolly goin out drinkin for xmas since we're both stuck here for the holiday

yeah those hills look like fun dogwalkin times

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hah i just helped my buddy move there - he's payin (i think) $1600 for a room in a 3BR with two other roommates, one of which also has a dog

I'm paying less than that for a 1br in a good building

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

iirc every building built prior to 1960- something in San Francisco is automatically rent controlled

sounds like welfare to me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

naice

goddamn am i glad that futurewife didn't end up at ucsf

there's just no way rent would be happening without some idiot roommate or 3

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

i'm going to say 'same' and 'holy poo poo that is insane'

I paid $900/mo for a room 2 blocks away from alamo st park and moved into my own place last april and it's still less than what people are paying for a room.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

naice

goddamn am i glad that futurewife didn't end up at ucsf

there's just no way rent would be happening without some idiot roommate or 3

my place is literally a block away from UCSF. my landlord actually rented to me because he wanted someone who'd live in the building for more than a year

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

bassguitarhero posted:

Yo is great because this slew of "one-button" apps really are the wave of the future. I have a different one-button app for everything that I want. So for example if I want to send a message to my friend all I have to do is open my folder for messaging app folders and then go to the folder with the messaging app for the particular message i want to send and then open that and then open the app and then go to their name and then tap it and boom only one click to send a message

i'm developing a collection of one-button, single-message apps that you can use like this, 26 of them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bassguitarhero posted:

my place is literally a block away from UCSF. my landlord actually rented to me because he wanted someone who'd live in the building for more than a year

so they have these residency interview dinner things goin on right now where prospective residents get to meet current people in the program

apparently this year it is the #1 question and program directors and whatnot are freaking out because residents are already paid nothing and hafta start payin off their loans so it's seeeeeriously hurting their competitiveness

this march should be p entertaining when it all comes to a head

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

the whole area around UCSF, mostly the inner sunset, is starting to get a lot of notice precisely because it was mostly untouched by the gentrification hitting all the other major SF hoods. so of course everybody is trying to move to the inner sunset as a result

edit: someone did a write-up of hipsters & techies moving to the city, i forget how it was phrased, something like "they move to neighborhoods in search of culture and then push culture out in favor of amenities"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bassguitarhero posted:

the whole area around UCSF, mostly the inner sunset, is starting to get a lot of notice precisely because it was mostly untouched by the gentrification hitting all the other major SF hoods. so of course everybody is trying to move to the inner sunset as a result

well the main thing about almost everywhere west of Van Ness is the 40 foot height limit which assures density will never increase appreciably ever

I lived on 9th near Judah for 5 years, it was a great neighborhood [eat at nanking road bistro]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fwiw the some of densest (big) cities in the world already have crazy height restrictions, such as paris (6 stories unless you a church) and somerville (3 family dumpsters as far as the eye can see)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
22 story office building going up on our block this week. yall are some redneck motherfuckers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

22 story office building going up on our block this week. yall are some redneck motherfuckers

this is why you hear about the mission, SOMA, potrero, dogpatch, etc. because almost all the new construction is in those areas, like every new person in the city lives in like 4 neighborhoods

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Bloody posted:

fwiw the some of densest (big) cities in the world already have crazy height restrictions, such as paris (6 stories unless you a church) and somerville (3 family dumpsters as far as the eye can see)

my city has an ordinance on the books that nothing can be taller than the capitol building

it actually owns and makes being downtown nice and open

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

the densest metro in america is LA. there are very few tall buildings in LA or the surrounding communities. what they do have is miles and miles and miles of ugly 3- and 4-family houses ("dingbats") separated by strips of apartment blocks.

the problem in san francisco isn't that they haven't built high enough in the densest urban core (i think one transamerica pyramid is quite enough thank you). it's that they won't knock over the garbage detached homes in the presidio or the painted ladies or all the idiot 1950s garbage in palo alto

SF and the bay could stand to look a lot more like LA if they ever want to see middle class families living comfortably again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
LA: a worthy goal for urban planning

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hopefully it liquefacts first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its like the six californias proposal but zero californias

• Locked thread