Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Internet Kraken posted:

In a game full of horribly broken items the stopwatch still manages to stand out as the most blatantly overpowered. I have no idea how you would ever lose after picking it up.

One of my Lost runs ended in failure particularly due to Stopwatch, as It Lives fired a barrage of slow moving tears and suddenly fired the four-way Brimstone. There was no way of dodging it without running into tears. Still, it usually guarantees a win.

Using it gets boring pretty fast, though. I don't really pick it up anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ghost Head posted:

The new familiars in rebirth are so great. They've clearly had a lot of thought put into them with respect to how powerful they are. I find so many of them useful but not run winning in themselves. Rotten baby in particular is so underrated. In lets plays I see so many people turn him down and it's always a mistake.

Some are good, many, most in fact, are still absolutely horrible. Able is still a pile of poo poo, and breaks on XL rooms (he treats only the top left corner of a 2x2 room as the entire room).

But yes, Rotten Baby is amazing and puts so many familiars to shame. The big difference though is that Rotten Baby fires attack flies, which work off YOUR attack stat, which means it can keep up with the damage you're outputting. The others are mostly only good if they have a status effect.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Alkydere posted:

Some are good, many, most in fact, are still absolutely horrible. Able is still a pile of poo poo, and breaks on XL rooms (he treats only the top left corner of a 2x2 room as the entire room).

You could say he's

differently Abeled. :downsrim:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wugga posted:

You could say he's

:golfclap:

In all seriousness, I've seen Able shine (or at least not suck horribly) in a single situation: Mega Satan. He'll sit at the top and shoot MS in the back of his head while you shoot him in the hands/face. He's still only doing minimal damage compared to what you were doing, but he's still doing something instead of shooting at a wall somewhere.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If you're patient you can also use Abel against those mirror-isaacs you find in the womb and below, but given that unless you have very specific build those are not difficult to deal with anyway it seems like a very niche advantage.

At least you usually pick him in gold chests so it's not as annoying as getting crack the sky in an item room.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 31, 2022

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

You could say he's

I hate Abel so much. :saddowns: On one run I found him in a chest, said "gently caress that poo poo I'm not picking you up" and proceeded to have him drop four more times. In a single run. :negative:

On an unrelated note, I finally had the most broken of all breaking runs (at last nabbing me Super Bandage Girl, and thus Platinum God and Real Platinum God all in one go). I had the Wafer, Habit, Sharp Plug, Scapular, Pyromaniac, Pyro, IPECAC, Fanny Pack, Piggy Bank, Bloody Penny, just... everything. After completing SBG I did a victory lap by killing Mega Satan... which went bonkers, because with my insane damage, IPECAC, Monstro's Lung, Sacred Heart, Polyphemus, Parasite, Cricket's Body, Rubber Cement, etc. each time I opened my mouth all the enemies (including Mega Satan) and myself would just teleport wildly across the room from the knockback of all the explosions.

...It was glorious.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

splifyphus posted:

I have seen the head exactly one time since the last patch dropped, and I think with the new recharge time I'll pretty much always prefer lump of coal anyways.

6 room charge is pretty meh but it comes in exchange for 1 shotting most bosses if you hit with 2 of the lasers.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

In a game full of horribly broken items the stopwatch still manages to stand out as the most blatantly overpowered. I have no idea how you would ever lose after picking it up.

Suicide King without a Guppy's Collar proc. twice

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This is why you don't use Suicide King cards.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I've had a couple of good uses of Suicide King. Either getting an early one on Lazarus or just after picking up the Dead Cat and I've got piss-all health anyways. But yeah, it's insanely situational.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is the secret room glitch fixed now? I want to play the game again.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Sometimes the game just wants you to win. Eden run that started me off with Rubber Cement and the D4, around Caves 2 the D4 landed me with Ipecac, Mom's Eye, Cricket's Body and Pyromaniac. Then for good measure I picked up the hook worm and now there is no binding of Isaac, there is only chaos.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I found I could cheese the game by abusing chocolate milk's button tap quick fire mode and triple shot by spamming the screen, slowing the game to a crawl and just swimming through all the bullet hell with ease. Went through mom's heart, sheol, and dark room in super slow mo. I died when the lamb did a quadra brimstone. Got hit once, got hit when he stopped it (I didn't know he'd do that) but I was lazarus so I got another heart and won.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Only Boss Rush left. :shepicide:
The Lamb run wasn't that strong, ???'s Only Friend carried me through the early levels until I found Dead Cat in a chest, then Goat Head/Abaddon etc, eventually became Guppy. Lost 2 or 3 lives to troll bombs from chests :v:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If you go into a curse room as The Lost and don't find Dead Cat are you hosed?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you go into a curse room as The Lost and don't find Dead Cat are you hosed?

Only if you have no other way to revive or get out of there.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The best is when you go the curse room on floor 1, get teleported to a devil room with Mom's Knife, Abaddon etc and just can't get out.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
That's why you're better off just looking for the Holy Mantle first and then you can check all the curse rooms you want.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If you're patient you can also use Abel against those mirror-isaacs you find in the womb and below, but given that unless you have very specific build those are not difficult to deal with anyway it seems like a very niche advantage.

Doppels(and their demon variant) can be killed through orbitals with ease as well. Touching these guys with Isaac doesn't hurt you, only their tears do, so you can just run up in their face and let orbitals or an unfired mom's knife kill them with absolutely no danger.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Does 'Random' count for completions sake? It has a post-it but I've never selected random so it's currently blank. I just finished Normal mode with all the characters (at least 'finished' in the sense that I've got a Heart, Isaac, Satan, Blue Baby, Lamb, and Boss Rush stamp for each character.)

not counting the secret character that I haven't even thought about unlocking yet.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Skaw posted:

Doppels(and their demon variant) can be killed through orbitals with ease as well. Touching these guys with Isaac doesn't hurt you, only their tears do, so you can just run up in their face and let orbitals or an unfired mom's knife kill them with absolutely no danger.

I usually just drop a bomb and make them run into it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yup, curse rooms deal damage so there's only three ways out that I can think of. Having extra lives, the Holy Mantle, or some form of teleportation.

Well, aside from the ones you can bomb in from the side anyway.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yup, curse rooms deal damage so there's only three ways out that I can think of. Having extra lives, the Holy Mantle, or some form of teleportation.

Invincibility items (Unicorn Stump/Horn, Book of Shadows) or Shovel work as well. Well, the shovel could make a trapdoor to a black market I guess so it's risky :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fistula ended my streak again. It sounds dumb but I think its actually the hardest basement boss because dodging all those asteroids when you have low movement speed and can't kill them fast is actually really hard. The thing that tips it over the edge though is that he does a full heart of damage for some reason. You have a lot less room for error against it.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I don't know why you have issues with it. Just focus on one piece at a time.

I've died more to loving Pin than fistula.

That said, I have a much harder time with Peep than I should.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just figured out that the bloat doesnt fire his lasers if youre behind (above) him!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Timett posted:

Does 'Random' count for completions sake? It has a post-it but I've never selected random so it's currently blank. I just finished Normal mode with all the characters (at least 'finished' in the sense that I've got a Heart, Isaac, Satan, Blue Baby, Lamb, and Boss Rush stamp for each character.)

not counting the secret character that I haven't even thought about unlocking yet.

No, random just selects a character

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I do find it amusing that we had 1.031 then the next day, 1.032 to address any possibility of using seeds to unlock/complete anything. Yet this is still broken. I know it's been noted as a bug to be fixed, I just wish there were a bit more urgency for quality of life stuff versus people possibly cheesing things.

So one question in that regard - for the 1.031 bug of being able to use seeds on normal runs to unlock things: was this around before and he didn't get it the first time? Or was that a new bug he created in 1.031?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I did The Planet a little while ago, which was fun, because I broke the gently caress out of it. I bought Brimstone, not realizing it wouldn't give me tears, but then later got Tammy's Head from a chest... :unsmigghh:

Kinda ruins the challenge when every room is "press space bar" "win" "next room"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ugato posted:

I do find it amusing that we had 1.031 then the next day, 1.032 to address any possibility of using seeds to unlock/complete anything. Yet this is still broken. I know it's been noted as a bug to be fixed, I just wish there were a bit more urgency for quality of life stuff versus people possibly cheesing things.

So one question in that regard - for the 1.031 bug of being able to use seeds on normal runs to unlock things: was this around before and he didn't get it the first time? Or was that a new bug he created in 1.031?

It existed since release. He didn't catch it until it was discovered that people were cheesing challenges with the seed exploit. Then he found out that it applied to the regular game as well.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

death .cab for qt posted:

I did The Planet a little while ago, which was fun, because I broke the gently caress out of it. I bought Brimstone, not realizing it wouldn't give me tears, but then later got Tammy's Head from a chest... :unsmigghh:

Kinda ruins the challenge when every room is "press space bar" "win" "next room"

On one hand it's pretty cool when you completely break challenges, but even then it's all good, the Solar System challenge was great fun trying to win it regardless of whether I succeeded or not. All about the journey, not the destination and so on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Speaking of broken, being Guppy on Basement II is loving great :shepface:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I just ruined a really great d4 run because of hubris.

That said, if you ever want to see what monstros lung looks like with soy milk, use the d4 while you have epic fetus.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Quick question: If I go to the dark room, beat the lamb, but then go to kill Mega Satan after, will the game register my dark room victory? I have the full key and I'd like to do it but not if it costs me filling out my post-it note.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

something posted:

Quick question: If I go to the dark room, beat the lamb, but then go to kill Mega Satan after, will the game register my dark room victory? I have the full key and I'd like to do it but not if it costs me filling out my post-it note.

Yup, the victory is counted as soon as the boss is defeated. This applies to any situation where you defeat a boss which unlocks something and then die before opening the chest/entering the trapdoor/light.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Thanks! Time to steamroll this fool.

edit: EZ PZ

something fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 17, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yes, if the ending Chest drops, you can do whatever you want.

Also, you can also stand to the side of the Bloat and just stand below his eye beams that he will constantly fire out. Makes him kinda easy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The one time I beat a boss that unlocked something and then died, the secret didn't pop until halfway through my next run. So, don't worry if it doesn't unlock immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I checked the post-it note right after and it's all good.

The run overall was surprisingly powerful even it wasn't visually impressive. I got the left hand early and the contract from below, constantly got red chess so I became guppy by caves I, and then ran out of items for it give me so i started getting drops from the regular item pool in the end! (Thick mushroom and mom's contact were the two good ones)