Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I'd buy Terraria 2 if you can get hive to spread like corruption or crimson. Honey Hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Since we have an alternate biome to Corruption, we should have an alternate to the Hallow, too. One idea I saw tossed around a lot was a mechanical biome, where everything is made of gears and springs and plate metal.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Do y'all like toys? 'Cause Terraria's getting toys.

http://terraria.org/news/terraria-toys-now-available

Personal opinion: eeeeehhhhh?. Nothing I'm seeing is making me jump up and down. The only one I would consider getting is the Wandering Eye plush. I kinda like that one. Maybe. Depends on the price.

The plastic toys look like they're made by the same manufacturer as some Minecraft toy I saw at CVS the other day. I didn't buy it though so unfortunately I can't attest to the quality of the company's work. :shrug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Eye of Cthulhu makes sounds and the Skeletron's eyes light up, so that's kind of cool.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

dijon du jour posted:

Do y'all like toys? 'Cause Terraria's getting toys.

http://terraria.org/news/terraria-toys-now-available

Personal opinion: eeeeehhhhh?. Nothing I'm seeing is making me jump up and down. The only one I would consider getting is the Wandering Eye plush. I kinda like that one. Maybe. Depends on the price.

The plastic toys look like they're made by the same manufacturer as some Minecraft toy I saw at CVS the other day. I didn't buy it though so unfortunately I can't attest to the quality of the company's work. :shrug:

"We half-assed some toys to cash in on you suckers and didn't even bother having the company do more than repaint toys they made using their Minecraft molds. Order now!"

:thumbsup:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Yeah I looked it up and it seems Jazwares also did actually make the Minecraft toy I saw. In my research I also learned that you should probably hold off on buying the plushes for a bit. You can get entire sets of the Minecraft ones on ebay for about the price of a single one of the plushes on Amazon.

Beanie Babies never went away, they just changed form.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

so was there a new patch recently or is there just 4+ pages of talking/arguing about balancing bosses and stuff?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Machai posted:

so was there a new patch recently or is there just 4+ pages of talking/arguing about balancing bosses and stuff?

There was a smidgen of mod talk there in the middle, and now we're talking about merchandice, but otherwise, no, nothing worth reading. Honestly unless you want updates on teasers or random chatting you won't miss much if you just wait until the thread title says "Terraria 1.3! One of these days Guide, POW! Straight to the moon!" or some such.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Does Terraria have the playerbase to support merch? Especially 3-D merch that doesn't really resemble the 2-D sprites.

dijon du jour posted:

You can get entire sets of the Minecraft ones on ebay for about the price of a single one of the plushes on Amazon.

I'll check the Toys R Us bargain bin next year.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it seems really weird to release toys for a game that's thoroughly reached the point of 'that's still being updated?' a long time ago, but maybe that's just me???

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

dijon du jour posted:

"Terraria 1.3! One of these days Guide, POW! Straight to the moon!"

I'm totally stealing that for the eventual 1.3 thread title.

The plushes are pretty cute, all things considered. I wouldn't mind getting one of the Eye of Cthulhu plushies if the price were low enough.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
toys that emulate pixels are pretty gross, jesus that sword is awful

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
They don't even look like the things they're supposed to be. The in-game characters are not blocky and proportioned like Minecraft models.
The night's edge is weird because it's almost pixel-perfect for the overall model, but then they decided to give it some kind of weird excessive noise-shading like you get in Minecraft, instead of the kind of lazy pillow shading you often get in Terraria.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

They don't even look like the things they're supposed to be. The in-game characters are not blocky and proportioned like Minecraft models.
The night's edge is weird because it's almost pixel-perfect for the overall model, but then they decided to give it some kind of weird excessive noise-shading like you get in Minecraft, instead of the kind of lazy pillow shading you often get in Terraria.

Has this company previously made a Minecraft sword toy by any chance?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The toys are garbage but that packaging's pretty ace

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

The toys are garbage but that packaging's pretty ace

Cat spotted

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zereth posted:

Has this company previously made a Minecraft sword toy by any chance?

Yes it has and my 15 year old cousin has one of the diamond swords and a pick, probably other stuff as well. The Terraria merchandise is so loving lazy that it's hilarious. It's just re-purposed Minecraft leftovers. People are still probably going to buy it too.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Welp, I'm going melee when the update comes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft56esseBEA

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Re-Logic also just released this teaser, by which I mean some company logos and three flashes of concept art pieces with no context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzaRakpt8t4

So I don't know what this new project is.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Anyone playing on Xbone? I'm breaking for dinner right now but in like an hour I'd like some help with WoF. GT is Shiny Pidgey

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Re-Logic also just released this teaser, by which I mean some company logos and three flashes of concept art pieces with no context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzaRakpt8t4

So I don't know what this new project is.

Terraria in space

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Blackheart posted:

Terraria in space
Hey if Re-Logic wants to make Starbound except good and timely then I'm on board.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Weren't they talking about Terraria 2 a while back? Could be that.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Does anyone know why there are two versions of Terraria on google play? One costs money and one doesnt, I downloaded the free one but it crashes when I try to open up. What gives?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

Weren't they talking about Terraria 2 a while back? Could be that.

iirc Red was also part of the Pixel Piracy crew, so it could always just be that.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I'm streaming Terraria for a bit with a friend, and we're going to enter hardmode and probably get our asses kicked. Watch and mock laugh with us!

https://www.twitch.tv/EdwardTank

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

The White Dragon posted:

iirc Red was also part of the Pixel Piracy crew, so it could always just be that.

Is that game any good? I remember trying it but got dismembered every time I played. So I put it on the back burner for now like, Starbound, Dead State, Project Zomboid and Sunless Sea.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Do Light Mummies actually ever drop a Trifold Map? I ask because I've just spent the better part of an hour sat in a Hallowed Desert, obliterating everything that a Water Candle and Battle Potion can throw at me. In that time, I've obtained one or two complete Mummy vanity sets (with no less than seven shirts), a Mummy and Pixie banner, three complete stacks of Pixie Dust, and exactly zero Maps.

Maybe the Giant Bats will drop them for me. It's the last piece I need for my Ankh Shield dammit.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

The_Final_Stand posted:

Do Light Mummies actually ever drop a Trifold Map? I ask because I've just spent the better part of an hour sat in a Hallowed Desert, obliterating everything that a Water Candle and Battle Potion can throw at me. In that time, I've obtained one or two complete Mummy vanity sets (with no less than seven shirts), a Mummy and Pixie banner, three complete stacks of Pixie Dust, and exactly zero Maps.

Maybe the Giant Bats will drop them for me. It's the last piece I need for my Ankh Shield dammit.

Drop rates can be frustrating as hell sometimes. I got all the biome molds before finishing my Ankh Shield due to all the grinding I was doing to finish it up.

Is there suppose to be a Terraria update today or does the game automatically begin the winter event?

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

Desperate Character posted:

Drop rates can be frustrating as hell sometimes. I got all the biome molds before finishing my Ankh Shield due to all the grinding I was doing to finish it up.

Is there suppose to be a Terraria update today or does the game automatically begin the winter event?

The seasonal events don't require an update, they activate based on the system date.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hey Terraria thread, if you're getting the itch to play but don't feel like waiting for the nebulous "whenever" 1.3 update, why not try a mod? No, not that one that adds the Rainbow Dash wallpaper. Don't touch that one.
You can grab the game launcher and the Terraria mod API, and then pick out some mods from the forums.

There's a lot of nothing out there, but I highly recommend Shockah's Mods, a modular package which allow things like simple inventory tweaks (shift+click transfers items instead of trashing them), an in-game cheat menu for when you get tired of grinding out for a trifold map/armor polish/nazar or just want to noclip/godmode/creative mode around, and some new additions like a mod that lets you start with fewer accessory slots and unlock more as you play from various NPCs, or a dynamic system that adds suffixes to items as well as prefixes, so you can get a Murderous Megashark of the Falcon.

Even moreso, you might want to try Grox's GRealm mod. It adds a new invasion, a new boss, a bunch of new enemies to every single biome, 3 new NPCs, and a bunch of new items and equipment throughout both the early game and hardmode.
Mostly, I find that GRealm does a great job of filling the gaps of equipment progression you get in the game. It adds things like more varied early-game magic, summoner variant armor for the Necro set, new accessories for beetle/wasp users, rapid-fire guns that can spit copper coins as ammo, new defensive potions, and other things to make a smoother, more interesting progression. You can make a launcher that uses everything from spiky balls and mushrooms to bones and grenades as ammo, there's a ghostly sword that can hit enemies through walls (specially for anti-magic enemies like in the Dungeon), and a bunch of new jungle equipment, probably the biome that's been most fleshed-out. There's even a pre-Hardmode sort of clentaminator equivalent, a Log-zooka that can shoot explosive, piercing, or transforming shots to swap biome tiles. One of the lategame additions is a new crafting station that allows you to do new accessory combinations, including a boot that combines the run speed, rocket flight, ice skates, water walking, wall sliding, and lava resistance of all the others.

As a neat touch to break up mining, you can run into these slow but powerful lumbering golems, made from all kinds of ores and materials. They yield a few bar's worth of ore when killed, have really high defense, but take boosted damage from pickaxes. Gemstone golems are the best, as they can drop any kind of gemstone, so if you're lucky you might get up to a dozen diamonds from one.

One of the new NPCs sells ores and gems, plus silt and slush for the extractinator. More and more types of ore are sold as you progress through the game, so you can't just skip to endgame tiers right off the bat, but if you're tired of mining or just need a few bars to shore things up, this is a really nice option. He sells the alternate sets (Tin instead of Copper, Lead instead of Iron, etc) at night.
There's also a new NPC that sells rare but not particularly special enemy drops, like the whoopee cushion and chain knife.

The third NPC sells special lanterns which will attract swarms of butterflies and fireflies during the day and night, respectively. Good if you plan to do a lot of fishing, or just want a particularly pretty base.

There's lots of new utility items, including the somewhat strange "liquid radar", which permanently lights up liquids on your map in a huge radius. You can see here the lava below a certain depth is illuminated even though the blocks are not. Could be useful if you're looking for pools of water in the underground, for instance, but I'm just kind of impressed this works.

And speaking of new utilities...

The mods is almost worth it for this alone. These rods are a godsend, especially when you just need to find a god-damned extractinator, magic mirror, or ice skates. They're super simple to use and at this point would probably do well to be included in the actual game.

Anyway, I'm not even in hardmode yet, but so far this has been a lot of fun. I recommend anyone who's got the itch to play tries this out, too.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Grox's mod looks amazing and might get me to pick up Terraria again. Seriously, buying ores alone is amazing, no more spending hours looking for some extra gold for my extravagant sky castle!

VVVVVAh, that stinks. But yeah, buyable silt is better than nothing.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 16, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Grox's mod looks amazing and might get me to pick up Terraria again. Seriously, buying ores alone is amazing, no more spending hours looking for some extra gold for my extravagant sky castle!
The big problem with the Miner is you can only buy the bars, and since you can't craft bars back into raw ore that means you can't make bricks out of it.
Crafting bars back into ore would be so good in the vanilla game though.

But you can buy slush/silt at pretty cheap and turn that into raw ore.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Is it possible to use those mods in a multiplayer setting?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I believe so, but I haven't tested it personally. If they have TAPI set up with the same mods it should work, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

And speaking of new utilities...

The mods is almost worth it for this alone. These rods are a godsend, especially when you just need to find a god-damned extractinator, magic mirror, or ice skates. They're super simple to use and at this point would probably do well to be included in the actual game.
... Daaamn. That would be really useful, especially with my habit of taking everything in the chest, and then the chest itself.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there any sort of mod that cures the case of MMO super-rare drop-itis the main game has? I've never experienced like 30% of the items in this game just because I don't want to grind dire moles or whatever for hours.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any sort of mod that cures the case of MMO super-rare drop-itis the main game has? I've never experienced like 30% of the items in this game just because I don't want to grind dire moles or whatever for hours.

Just get an editor and give yourself whatever you want. Yeah the drop rates suck but there is no penalty for cheating.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mzbundifund posted:

The GRealm mod has something called Affluent Ingots, which are super difficult/expensive to get, but you can use them make a pretty solid armor set.
At full, the affluent armor set has an 8% drop-doubling effect, which isn't exactly what you're looking for, but increased drops on an armor set is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Been trying to play with the mods listed but something keeps crashing it, even after turning off the thing that supposedly makes the crashing happen.

Maybe I'll get back to it, those golems are fun.

• Locked thread