Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Radish posted:

It still feels off to me. From our perspective we've seen Regina change over the course of so many seasons, but from her's, Regina was slaughtering entire villages including children and leaving them in mass graves purely out of spite a week ago. To just be told, "oh yeah that person is good now" while your former husband has fallen in love with that person and then be totally cool with it comes off less emotionally mature and more emotionless to me. I'm fine with her not being man dependent (coming to terms with Robin having moved on after her death and moving on herself) but I still think the scene with Regina was weird. It's an insane show with fantastical elements so how people would react is pretty hard to guage though so it's open to personal interpretation.

I wonder if the main reason it feels so off to you was her tremendous lack of screen time? I agree with the dude who says the conclusion she came to was good and mature, but I also agree it felt weird (for me) coming from a character with little to no development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Marion is obviously an underdeveloped character but it seems reasonable to believe that she's got basic observational and social skills and has spent the last few weeks hearing stories about Regina and seeing her place in Storybrooke. I think it was ok, really. She didn't just accept that Regina had changed. She fought it quite a bit and then Regina saved her life. Even then it took more heroics by Regina and time in Storybrooke for her to get to the point of that conversation. Assuming Marion is the strong and rational person she seems to be there had to be a point where she realized any entire town of people who were terrorized by the Evil Queen can't just be covering for her when they tell stories of how she's become a hero. It just so happens that that time is dictated by the winter finale, but outside of them making Marion a much bigger character I think it was going to feel the same anyway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

Marion is obviously an underdeveloped character but it seems reasonable to believe that she's got basic observational and social skills and has spent the last few weeks hearing stories about Regina and seeing her place in Storybrooke. I think it was ok, really. She didn't just accept that Regina had changed. She fought it quite a bit and then Regina saved her life. Even then it took more heroics by Regina and time in Storybrooke for her to get to the point of that conversation. Assuming Marion is the strong and rational person she seems to be there had to be a point where she realized any entire town of people who were terrorized by the Evil Queen can't just be covering for her when they tell stories of how she's become a hero. It just so happens that that time is dictated by the winter finale, but outside of them making Marion a much bigger character I think it was going to feel the same anyway.

I think my weird feeling comes from just how long it felt like she was frozen. Maybe she spent all that time thinking.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

STAC Goat posted:

I pretty much just let all that stuff go. We root for Regina after a lifetime of murders both mass and personal just because she's pretty and charismatic, so we're just gonna have to accept that the morality of a fairy tale universe is necessarily drawn with an eye to a good story rather than anything resembling realism. Because if she were real, she'd pretty much be Pol Pot.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

esperterra posted:

I think my weird feeling comes from just how long it felt like she was frozen. Maybe she spent all that time thinking.

I think it's also the fact that she went from living in the woods with horse drawn carriages and candle light to suddenly being the modern world. It's not just Regina she has to come to terms with and change her thinking on, it's literally every bit of life as she knows it. Not just her way of life but she is way behind the curve since everyone she knows has had 28 years to experience it and suddenly there she is new to the whole thing. It's almost too big for the brain to really parse and comprehend so you either just accept it and go with it or your brain breaks and you go insane.

I'm sure almost dying twice put some things into perspective for her too.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 17, 2014

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
This is about two weeks ago, but holy hell did Elizabeth Mitchell kill it during the climax of the Snow Queen arc. On paper, that was Once Upon a Time at its most annoying, but she made it work like crazy. Just goes to show what fantastic acting can do to a mediocre script.

EDIT: Speaking of, we root for Regina because of Lana Parrilla. There is no other good reason.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 17, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The other fairy tale characters are willing to forgive Regina's heinous crimes because they start to feel awkward without a snarky, eye-rolling realist who seems more like she's from the real world than the Enchanted Forest. It would just feel voyeuristic and boring without her around to mock the Charmings each and every time something terrible happens to them and they just say "Boy, I wish that didn't happen!" and through the power of love, their wish is granted.

We as an audience are willing to forgive her for the same reason we are willing to forgive Mr. Gold: because secretly we all want to be the villains in these stories; they look like they're having more fun.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I remember Maleficent from the beginning of the series - she told Regina how to make the curse work, right? But I don't remember her death. I was trying to read about it on a OUAT wiki and that just confused me more (I think I've blanked out the entire Greg/Tamara storyline).

Did they update her outfit to match the Angelina Jolie film or did she always look like that?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Maleficent was the dragon under the library that Emma killed at the end of S1.

Also she looked ugly as hell. She might've had a perm at that point too. But yeah they updated her look to match the Disney version with the horns and all that.

Also she is played by the best bitchiest character actor ever.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andrew_1985 posted:

I really enjoyed the Frozen Arc, I just wish we had more Anna. Plus Elsa really could've changed clothes once.

That might have been the worst costuming job I've seen on TV. Seriously, it looked like someone bought a Halloween costume on the discount rack and it looked painfully out of place.

What's more, they had a perfectly good costume they put her in like twice?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

Also she is played by the best bitchiest character actor ever.

Thisthisthis. I don't care how they retcon the dragon slaying and that weird ghost/zombie that remained when Emma went down there in season two, I am just happy Pam is back. Also delighted with Cruella's casting, that lady was camp as gently caress on Dracula.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Do we know Pam is back, though? Rumple only talked to Ursula in the present.

Also, lol at Cruella inexplicably hanging out in the Enchanted Forest despite being a 20s flapper (with a British accent).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Irish Joe posted:

Also, lol at Cruella inexplicably hanging out in the Enchanted Forest despite being a 20s flapper (with a British accent).

To be fair, several of them have British/Australian accents.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, their Cruella reminds me of a thing Ebert said about Casablanca (I am not saying that anything in Once Upon a Time is the same quality as Casablanca) where he mentions that you somehow can't fault its cliches, because it feels like all the cliches got together and had a reunion.

20s flapper with weird British accent from fairy tale princess world is like all the cliches are having a party, and they're serving booze, and they're already drunk, but you're invited and they're handing you a badly mixed manhattan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Irish Joe posted:

Gold told Ursula that they had two more stops to make, or something like that.

Obviously we're meant to assume its Malificent and Cruella. But obviously its possible they kept it ambiguous to allow for a possible fakeout where Malificent is actually dead and Gold has someone else in mind. Then I assume we'd see Malificent in Enchanted Forest flashbacks until she's inevitably resurrected.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Pinocchio/August is coming back!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/once-a-time-sets-pinocchios-759340?facebook_20141218

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

STAC Goat posted:

Gold told Ursula that they had two more stops to make, or something like that.

Obviously we're meant to assume its Malificent and Cruella. But obviously its possible they kept it ambiguous to allow for a possible fakeout where Malificent is actually dead and Gold has someone else in mind. Then I assume we'd see Malificent in Enchanted Forest flashbacks until she's inevitably resurrected.

The time traveling poo poo made it possible that she returned.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I can't get over how good Anna became, I hope whatsername gets a lot of roles.

Cruella is pretty funny.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain von Trapp posted:

I pretty much just let all that stuff go. We root for Regina after a lifetime of murders both mass and personal just because she's pretty and charismatic, so we're just gonna have to accept that the morality of a fairy tale universe is necessarily drawn with an eye to a good story rather than anything resembling realism. Because if she were real, she'd pretty much be Pol Pot.

From the very first, the entire series has set up the audience to be sympathetic to Regina. Unlike the citizens of The Enchanted Forest, the audience has always been aware of her back story and why she became so drat evil. So from the very first, her character arc has always been on a path to redemption, unlike Gold's. Gold's relapse was a bit of a shock to me but, all of the signs have been there; hiding the real dagger from Belle should have slapped me in the face as a dead give away that he would never truly be redeemed. I was really sad for Belle's character but, it certainly does bring the show back around to having an arch villain, with partners this time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The difference between Regina and Gold comes down to the established most powerful magic in the OUAT universe, love. Regina sought power to compensate for the loss and absence of love and in grief. Rumple pushed away love to seek power. Time and time again Regina's chances at happiness were destroyed by lovely circumstance or evil people like Cora and that just pushed her farther over the edge. Time and time again Rumple had a chance to give up power to be happy with Baelfire and he always chose power and pushed love away.

Gold could have been redeemed with the Peter Pan arc if Neil had let him stay dead after sacrificing himself for Henry and Neal. But I like that the show chose to bring him back as a villain because he's such a natural one and he's really never stopped being driven by that power and fear that always motivated him as a villain.

Yeah, Regina did a lot of heinous poo poo but she seems to genuinely feel bad about it, she's always been way more of a victim than Rumple, and her motivations have always been about love and when she found it she was willing to forgo power, even if it meant sharing Henry with Emma.

Also its a fairy tale so no one's getting tried for war crimes or poo poo. Just roll with the power of love.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I sort of hope they reveal that Gold's long game has been infinitely more complicated than getting Baelfire back, firstly because, like, why didn't he just get the rabbit from Wonderland to send him to the real world? He has to have known the rabbit could do that. And secondly because one of the things I miss about the first and second seasons was piecing together the purpose behind all the contracts he had everyone sign.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bicyclops posted:

I sort of hope they reveal that Gold's long game has been infinitely more complicated than getting Baelfire back, firstly because, like, why didn't he just get the rabbit from Wonderland to send him to the real world? He has to have known the rabbit could do that. And secondly because one of the things I miss about the first and second seasons was piecing together the purpose behind all the contracts he had everyone sign.

All the portals between Storybrooke and other realms, including the Rabbit's, only became possible once Storybrooke had magic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Flatscan posted:

All the portals between Storybrooke and other realms, including the Rabbit's, only became possible once Storybrooke had magic.

Ahhhh, okay. That sort of explains why after he spends 200 years getting there, it's suddenly a revolving door in and out of the town from pretty much everywhere.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I stopped watching half way through season one but I loved Frozen so I watched this fall's half season. I just spent the whole weekend binging on Netflix and I'm not quite done with season 2. I knew who Neil was so that wasn't a huge surprise, and I know they're going to Neverland and the Wicked Witch is involved but even still there are still some twists I didn't see (I didn't think they'd kill Cora quite so quickly). So far the only really confusing thing (besides everyone being related) was that the first time I saw Robin Hood it wasn't the actor I've watched for the first half of season 4, do they explain that or just 'whatever deal with it, we recast the actor'?

Also should I watch the Wonderland series and if so when? I can see them setting things up for it already.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I don't remember them changing Robin Hood's actor, but that might've been a while ago and I might be wrong and forgot.

OUAT Wonderland is kinda one-off season that isn't really connected to OUAT except at the peripheries. It has the same DNA but the format is a little different.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Sober posted:

I don't remember them changing Robin Hood's actor, but that might've been a while ago and I might be wrong and forgot.

OUAT Wonderland is kinda one-off season that isn't really connected to OUAT except at the peripheries. It has the same DNA but the format is a little different.

I checked IMDB and it looks like a one off and the new guy plays him the rest of the time. Unless someone else saved Maid Marion, she seems to have trouble breathing a lot.

And there is Wendy. Not sure how I feel about Neverland but I have a huge celebrity crush on Hook.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bunnita posted:

Also should I watch the Wonderland series and if so when? I can see them setting things up for it already.

It's not very good, in my opinion. It's loaded with green screen in a way that's way more obvious even than the real show, and it takes a long time to find its feet, which is rough, because it's only half a season long. It does start to get good at the very end and Naveen Andrews and John Lithgow, as well as much of the guest cast, is great, so feel free to burn through it if you want, just be warned it's pretty low quality. My absolute biggest complaint with it is that the person they hired to play the Jabberwocky just doesn't work for what they were going for. She's a great actor, the part just should have been quiet instead of scenery chewing to really carry the menace it needed.

I don't know what they're going to do with the Wonderland story. The thing is, by all rights, the Knave of Hearts should not be in Storybrooke, or depressed (it definitely does not take place before the Wonderland story as others have speculated). You can watch the full Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and Will's presence will still be confusing until they explain it within the flagship show.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

I got three episodes or so into season three before leaving for the holidays and already things make more sense.

I did skip a few season one episodes, is Maleficent in one of those or does she show up later? I saw the dragon and then the whatever Hook fought that was creepy, but people in this thread kept mentioning the actress as being awesome, and she was in the season I've final.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bunnita posted:

I got three episodes or so into season three before leaving for the holidays and already things make more sense.

I did skip a few season one episodes, is Maleficent in one of those or does she show up later? I saw the dragon and then the whatever Hook fought that was creepy, but people in this thread kept mentioning the actress as being awesome, and she was in the season I've final.

The actress played Pam on True Blood for the entire run of the show and she rules. That's basically why people are stoked for her.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 24, 2014

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Bunnita posted:

She shows up briefly, just long enough to say to yourself, "Holy poo poo, it's Pam! What the gently caress did they do to her hair?" Unless you're referring to Wonderland, in which case I think she is only a disembodied voice. In both cases Maleficent is really just there as a quick reference and McGuffin dispenser.

The actress is awesome, though. She wears the hell out of leather, has half an acre of cleavage, and gives fantastic bitch face. Pam is sort of a blonde Regina with the ability to say "oval office" and "gently caress" a lot, so I hope Kristin Bauer sticks around for a while to fill in the Evil Queen vacuum.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Bicyclops posted:

It's not very good, in my opinion. It's loaded with green screen in a way that's way more obvious even than the real show, and it takes a long time to find its feet, which is rough, because it's only half a season long. It does start to get good at the very end and Naveen Andrews and John Lithgow, as well as much of the guest cast, is great, so feel free to burn through it if you want, just be warned it's pretty low quality. My absolute biggest complaint with it is that the person they hired to play the Jabberwocky just doesn't work for what they were going for. She's a great actor, the part just should have been quiet instead of scenery chewing to really carry the menace it needed.

I don't know what they're going to do with the Wonderland story. The thing is, by all rights, the Knave of Hearts should not be in Storybrooke, or depressed (it definitely does not take place before the Wonderland story as others have speculated). You can watch the full Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and Will's presence will still be confusing until they explain it within the flagship show.

To my memory, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland started off a lot weaker than OUaT proper, but once it reached the halfway point and it got truly focused, it was magnitudes better than the main show could ever hope to be. Once the characters are established, they get down to the business of telling one good story with them and it works like gangbusters.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Belle was totally wearing her push-up cape in that flashback scene.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BarbarousBertha posted:

The actress is awesome, though. She wears the hell out of leather, has half an acre of cleavage, and gives fantastic bitch face. Pam is sort of a blonde Regina with the ability to say "oval office" and "gently caress" a lot, so I hope Kristin Bauer sticks around for a while to fill in the Evil Queen vacuum.

She's also man hands on Seinfeld!

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Finished season three, I think I'm caught up in the convoluted mess that is that family. Hook turned into quite the love struck pansy there, I think they may have taken that a bit too far into the 'longing sighs' and 'hurt looks when she talks about a guy' thing. I did like him punching himself out for kissing her but the rest got a bit old.

When does this come back?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

March or so. You still have an extra half season to go!

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Sober posted:

March or so. You still have an extra half season to go!

I watched that one live :(. Is there something that is taking its place like Agent Carter is for SHIELD?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Bunnita posted:

I watched that one live :(. Is there something that is taking its place like Agent Carter is for SHIELD?

There's Galavant for January, no idea after that.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Galavant, I think.

Edit: With that reply way late. That's what I get for not refreshing before replying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Galavant has the intention to only run for January and then be done, right? The concept looks like it could be amusing for a couple of hours but would wear out its welcome really quickly. Timothy Omundson is usually worth a watch, but I definitely don't want to start it if they're going to try running it longer than it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Nominally 8 episodes, all of which air in January yes. Once Upon a Time allegedly returns March 1.

• Locked thread