Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.

KillHour posted:

Those speakers have an efficiency of 88dB @ 1W (and are rated for 100w power handling). That Denon is rated at 125 w/ch with 6 ohm speakers. You'll destroy those speakers before you max out the volume on the receiver.

I just read the specs on that receiver again I am seeing it rated for 95w/chan so I think I am pretty safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Are you saying that in the 1980s, home video game systems paired with hi-fis were a leading cause of house fires?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Coil heating can cause a fire. I think a DC bias is a more likely cause than square waves, but the concept is the same. Too much current = heat. Pretty sure it is more common for the wire to burn up than a fire starting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Any of you guys own a sonos system? Thinking of grabbing one: I never listen to speakers but my SO does (currently on a lovely minijack speakerbar she's in love with) and it turns out our kid loves having music on, so something decently precise.

Our (distinct) libraries are on a wifi'ed macbook air, and a wired windows desktop. We both use itunes, but I'd like something that can handle other sources. Kinda tempted to just get airtunes speakers but those are probably horribe :/

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 16, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

magnetic posted:

I just read the specs on that receiver again I am seeing it rated for 95w/chan so I think I am pretty safe.

Higher is better. You don't want an under-powered amp, because it will (ironically) destroy your speakers. Basically, when you push an amp to far, it clips. When it clips, it puts out square waves instead of sine waves. Square waves push more power through the speakers without increasing cone extension. Then your voice coil burns out. If you just put an over-powered amp on a pair of speakers and crank it, you'll hear the speaker bottom out (which should tell you to turn the volume down before you break them). An under-powered amp will just sound distorted. For some reason, people are generally okay listening to distorted as hell music and don't realize their speakers are cooking themselves.

You should still be fine because 95w/chan on 88dB/W speakers is still really loud. Just make sure you show some restraint.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 16, 2014

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Any of you guys own a sonos system?
At work, we have three Play:3s. The Sonos system is easy to use, sounds good, and is reliable. They just fixed my main complaint, now you can have multiple logins to music services (before you could, for example, only have one person's Pandora login available). It is really easy to rearrange the Play:3s because they are wireless and portable - sometimes I will grab a second one, move it to my desk, and use two as a stereo pair. Really, the only downside is that it is expensive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Good thanks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have 2 Play 1s, I like them a lot but I'd want more range if it was something other than my bedroom system like Play 3s or a connect and powered speakers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm getting her the bigger play unit I think yeah. We have a completely open plan apartment so you need a modicum of power.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does anyone have recommendations for bluetooth speakers for under $100. They must be bluetooth (and somewhat portable), so please don't recommend some huge stereo system.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

KillHour posted:

Higher is better. ...
You should still be fine because 95w/chan on 88dB/W speakers is still really loud. Just make sure you show some restraint.

I'll be sure to tell the kids not to rock out too hard when I am away. I pulled the trigger last night when my wife put Christmas music on her laptop, the sound made my ears bleed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Super Dude posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for bluetooth speakers for under $100. They must be bluetooth (and somewhat portable), so please don't recommend some huge stereo system.

Logitech X300 is pretty decent and comes in way under $100.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Few months ago I picked up this Pioneer all in one receiver-based 5.1 system. Was 499 at best buy at the time and 299 at future shop across the road, so I got BB to price match and paid $279.

I'm happy. I live in an apartment so its not like I can knock the walls down just yet, Klipsch's can wait. Its just nice to finally have the surround. I will say that I have a little bit of trouble with the TV though, I have...my god whats the name of the thing that sends the audio back to the receiver through HDMI...anyway that's enabled and sometimes I get no sound from the smart TV streaming on my Samsung. It happens more often than I'd like but not that often.

For the price, to get you started I'd recommend it. Even has 4K passthrough and 3D.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ARC (Audio Return Channel)

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I bought a pair of Micca MB42 speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B009IUIV4A) and an SMSL SA-36A Pro amp (http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-36A-TPA3118D2-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00L7DC7IM/) to replace my audio system for my desk.

Is this a good plan or should I have bought a set of monitors instead?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The MB42X is the same speaker, but with a crossover. If you can, you should get those instead. Looks like Amazon doesn't have them right now, though.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

taqueso posted:

The MB42X is the same speaker, but with a crossover. If you can, you should get those instead. Looks like Amazon doesn't have them right now, though.

I'd thought about that and read some of the MB42x reviews that compare it to the MB42, but decided to just go ahead and buy the 42s because it wasn't clear how long the 42x was going to stay out of stock. I realize the crossover helps a lot, but hopefully the MB42s will be good enough for me.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Naffer posted:

I'd thought about that and read some of the MB42x reviews that compare it to the MB42, but decided to just go ahead and buy the 42s because it wasn't clear how long the 42x was going to stay out of stock. I realize the crossover helps a lot, but hopefully the MB42s will be good enough for me.

After my Monoprice in-wall setup didn't work, I am thinking of going with towers and a center channel.

Any suggestions for a quality mid to low range budget set? Can I get something decent in all three speakers for $500-$600?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of clipping amps. I had the chance to really hear what a recklessly loud and distorted receiver sounds like.

It all started Saturday morning when this hot girl I went on a date with a few months ago showed up drunk in my driveway at 9am. We went to the liquor store and got more vodka and then went to her house where we proceeded to drink straight vodka from the bottle and listen to really bad dance tracks on her sound system. (Take me to Church?)

Fun morning.

Anyways the speakers weren't Energy or Paradigm. They were the other brand you find in Canada often. A quality brand but I forget the name. She had it playing loud. Bass and MIDs seemed pretty clear but the high frequency was making GBS threads the bed. The receiver was a Harmon Kardon.

I've often read that really loud volumes with no distortion can sound quieter than lower volumes with distortion. I'm pretty sure this is the case.

I still think the louder volume with no distortion is still more dangerous to your hearing, regardless of distortion or perceived loudness.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like that's the problem I'm having, that my high frequency stuff is distorted, is that solvable through software?

I have energy take classics and a denon x1100w, I would think that's decent hardware. Same problem I had Sunday night where there was a lot of applause and that just sounded flat and compressed.

Coincidentally this was NBC again maybe they really broadcast poo poo audio.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dave posted:

I feel like that's the problem I'm having, that my high frequency stuff is distorted, is that solvable through software?

I have energy take classics and a denon x1100w, I would think that's decent hardware. Same problem I had Sunday night where there was a lot of applause and that just sounded flat and compressed.

Coincidentally this was NBC again maybe they really broadcast poo poo audio.

Play something that is a good clean recording, at a loud volume (at least as loud as the fooseball games) and see if it distorts.

I use Prison Sex - Tool - Undertow: http://youtu.be/-eYb5f1LqZ0 as my reference song for listening to high frequency distortion. There is a lot going on with the cymbal crashes in this song. Be sure to use an album quality copy. Not the compressed YouTube track.

If you can play this loud and clearly hear the cymbal and highhat percussion work, its not your sound system.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

jonathan posted:

Play something that is a good clean recording, at a loud volume (at least as loud as the fooseball games) and see if it distorts.

I use Prison Sex - Tool - Undertow: http://youtu.be/-eYb5f1LqZ0 as my reference song for listening to high frequency distortion. There is a lot going on with the cymbal crashes in this song. Be sure to use an album quality copy. Not the compressed YouTube track.

If you can play this loud and clearly hear the cymbal and highhat percussion work, its not your sound system.

In this vein, if you hear distortion you should try to listen to each of the tweeters and woofers on your speakers by placing your head near them to see whether it's a speaker problem or further upstream.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah i think it's further upstream I'm pretty sure the same distortion was coming out of all speakers.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

KillHour posted:

The more expensive one also has MultiEQ XT, while the less expensive one only has MultiEQ. And 4K scaling / analog conversion to HDMI. And a web interface and nicer GUI.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avr2100w
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs700w

I just got the AVRX2100 set up, the setup and interface was easy and clear. The sound it excellent. It's night and day better than $99.00 junk we were getting along with before.

It's nice to have the streaming sources all available through the receiver. Now I need to get a couple of outdoor speakers for the deck before spring.

Thanks for the info.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
My ~5 year old Pioneer VSX-1020-K has started restarting or shutting down on me while I'm playing games.

It seems like it thinks it is overheating but sometimes it does it even if I've been running the speakers really low or not had it on for too long.

How much can I anticipate I'm in for if I take it to a repair shop and what should I be looking to replace it with in the way of decent quality 5.1 receivers if I'm better off buying a new one?

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

MMD3 posted:

My ~5 year old Pioneer VSX-1020-K has started restarting or shutting down on me while I'm playing games.

It seems like it thinks it is overheating but sometimes it does it even if I've been running the speakers really low or not had it on for too long.

How much can I anticipate I'm in for if I take it to a repair shop and what should I be looking to replace it with in the way of decent quality 5.1 receivers if I'm better off buying a new one?

If it's overheating regularly I bet the circuit board is thick with lint and dirt. GIve it a good vacuum/clean/blowout and see if it solves your problem before the shop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My bedroom TV has nothing but the built-in speakers and when we watch a movie in there I'm constantly turning the volume from 25% to 100% and everywhere in between. It's terrible.

I've got a 10 year old Onkyo HTIB in the other room and I have to do the same thing in there.

I guess the answer to this is dynamic range compression, but I've tried that in various forms (enabling in my HTPC sound card settings, enabling it on the TV, enabling it on the receiver) over the years and I can't really say it's done much to solve the problem.

Are some DRC implementations better than others? What can I do to solve this stupid problem?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
What's the basic reasoning on book shelf vs. floor standing speakers.

Is it true you can get a better speaker/SQ from a bookshelf for a better value?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
One benefit of floor stands is that it makes space around the speaker (which people say makes it sound better), bookshelf speakers take effort to make that space.

Get what sounds good to you. There are always local/limited deals that change the price/performance/preference ratios, so there is no wrong product and there will always be people with different opinions as to what is gooder and dealier and think you made a poor choice.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Larger speakers have an easier time going low. You can sometimes find bookshelves that approach the frequency range of a floorstander, but they're more complicated and expensive. There are a lot of reasonably priced bookshelves that sound really drat good, but in terms of sound quality you'll usually be better off with a bigger speaker.

Skeleton Ape fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 26, 2014

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I have this subwoofer in the attic from an old home theater system that was retired due to not having bluray or optical audio out. It just has speaker wire where it was powered by the receiver. I have a soundbar now. What would I buy to power it, and are these specs good enough to even bother instead of getting a new self powered subwoofer? I want to spend as little as possible. ($75 or less)

posted:

Panasonic Subwoofer SB-W95
Type 1 way 1 speaker system Bass-ref.
Woofer 17 cm (6 3⁄4") cone type
Impedance 6
Input power
MUSIC 200 W
Output sound pressure level 80 dB/W (1 m)
Frequency range 42 Hz–1.5 kHz (-16 dB)
46 Hz–900 Hz (-10 dB)
Mass Approx. 4 kg (8.8 Ib.)

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

lwoodio posted:

What would I buy to power it, and are these specs good enough to even bother instead of getting a new self powered subwoofer?

It's a passive subwoofer, meaning you need an amp to power it. The specs are also crap. Just get a new one.

Slightly over your budget, but something you don't need to upgrade:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...words=subwoofer

Roughly your budget:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW...words=subwoofer

Thermopyle posted:

My bedroom TV has nothing but the built-in speakers and when we watch a movie in there I'm constantly turning the volume from 25% to 100% and everywhere in between. It's terrible.

I've got a 10 year old Onkyo HTIB in the other room and I have to do the same thing in there.

Can you set the per-channel levels in Onkyo setup? Try making center channel about +4dB louder than the rest and see if it becomes better for you. If not, what causes you to change the volume in the first place? What sounds can't you hear?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

Can you set the per-channel levels in Onkyo setup? Try making center channel about +4dB louder than the rest and see if it becomes better for you. If not, what causes you to change the volume in the first place? What sounds can't you hear?

Dialog when there's nothing much else going on I usually have to crank it way up, then when there's guns or planes or explosions or whatever, I've got to crank it way down.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Dialog when there's nothing much else going on I usually have to crank it way up, then when there's guns or planes or explosions or whatever, I've got to crank it way down.

Try that center channel thing first. Speech comes out of center.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
edit; found a better thread for this

dc3k fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 27, 2014

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

What your speaker setup? You haven't mentioned in this thread yet. Like he said center is where speech level audio comes from, that was a lot of help for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'll try bumping up the center channel later today.

What about my bedroom TV where I've got the same problem but no sound system? I don't have any room for a regular sound system, but I can try a sound bar. Will any of those have some sort of option for boosting the center channel?

edit: Oh, I use a 3.1 setup with the onkyo system.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

What about my bedroom TV where I've got the same problem but no sound system?

Try setting your sound source to stereo. If it's set as 5.1 typically you can't hear speech.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I'm looking for a receiver for my living room, using a 60" Samsung Plasma, Roku, PS4, and cable box (that runs component because gently caress Charter). I'm going to be getting a 5.1 set-up soon after, but right now I want to consolidate all the inputs through the receiver.

I do have a solarium with speakers in it so I need multi-zone, and I will probably be getting a Klipsch Reference series for the speakers. I will be running everything through the receiver, and something that is AirPlay enabled would be great. Does anyone have any input on the Pioneer VSX-1124-K or the VSX-80?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Petite Dinklage posted:

I'm looking for a receiver for my living room, using a 60" Samsung Plasma, Roku, PS4, and cable box (that runs component because gently caress Charter). I'm going to be getting a 5.1 set-up soon after, but right now I want to consolidate all the inputs through the receiver.

I do have a solarium with speakers in it so I need multi-zone, and I will probably be getting a Klipsch Reference series for the speakers. I will be running everything through the receiver, and something that is AirPlay enabled would be great. Does anyone have any input on the Pioneer VSX-1124-K or the VSX-80?

The VSX-80 is probably overkill compared to the VSX-1124-K, but it depends on what the extra features are worth to you. Both of them will put component over the HDMI, which is good.