Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Can someone with plat send a PM to Gimbal Lock and/or Sofia? I'm going out of town on Thursday, I'll bring my wii u along if I'm still in it but I'd prefer to get that match out of the way beforehand so I know whether I'll need to pack it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hey Endgame, you didn't declare Sonic as one of your characters beforehand! I demand a full rematch. You blindsided me. I expected to fight Rosalina, Little Mac, or Mario in Round 2, which is why I picked Ness. No fair.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 16, 2014

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

DoctorWhat posted:

Hey Endgame, you didn't declare Sonic as one of your characters beforehand! I demand a rematch, you blindsided me.

If you read back many pages that stopped mattering some time ago. Also blindsided? If I used Rosa against Ness it would be much worse. I simply wanted to show I can use other people /shrug.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

_Endgame_ posted:

If you read back many pages that stopped mattering some time ago.

If I were aware of that, I would have picked someone other than Ness, Sonic, or Mario to deal with your Rosalina. I've used Sonic and Ness exclusively all tornament, but if I could have swapped out Mario for, say, Shulk, I would have done.

We've reached an understanding.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 16, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Endgame still beat me 2-0 after replaying round 2. I'm out. This was fun!

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

DoctorWhat posted:

If I were aware of that, I would have picked someone other than Ness, Sonic, or Mario to deal with your Rosalina. I've used Sonic and Ness exclusively all tornament, but if I could have swapped out Mario for, say, Shulk, I would have done.

We've reached an understanding.

I wish I had someone I could play well enough to want to switch to them

Edit:Why were some matches(or was it just one) going to "3-2"

Were there more ~understandings~ happening?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I insist that sitting bull be forced to smash me

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Zeuhl posted:

I wish I had someone I could play well enough to want to switch to them

Edit:Why were some matches(or was it just one) going to "3-2"

Were there more ~understandings~ happening?

That was Winner's Finals. All Finals are going best of 5 it seems.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Winners finals, Losers finals, and Grand finals are going to be best of 5 yes.

As far as characters go, The original "pick 3 characters" rule was being played fast and loose from the beginning. If there are no complaints I'd be fine with abolishing it completely, but I understand if people want to finish out the tournament with it.

"Character restriction" rules in tournaments are generally not necessary, I doubt there are very many of us who are proficient enough in more than 3 characters to be competitive anyway. When it comes to counter-picking characters it's not really going to matter in a game this new. Even Melee, a game that has literally been played to death, doesn't have much counter-picking in terms of characters, stages are much more important.

If I were to restart this tournament from the beginning, I think a "only the loser of the previous round can change characters" rule would have been ok, but declaring 3 characters never seemed like a rule we needed. Reksi is currently undefeated and I don't think he switched from Dorf once.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm fine with abolishing it, I've been debating selling my soul for power and switching from Lucina to Marth for the remainder of the tournament anyways

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

LanceKing2200 posted:

If I were to restart this tournament from the beginning, I think a "only the loser of the previous round can change characters" rule would have been ok, but declaring 3 characters never seemed like a rule we needed.

In tournaments, the winner must choose his character before the loser can choose his. This allows the winner to work with the picked stage, but it allows the loser to pick a character that beats the winner's.

I mean, just fyi. I doubt any of us are that interested in EVO-style tournament management. The relaxed "just do whatever" attitude we have here is pretty cool too.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Maple Leaf posted:

In tournaments, the winner must choose his character before the loser can choose his. This allows the winner to work with the picked stage, but it allows the loser to pick a character that beats the winner's.

I mean, just fyi. I doubt any of us are that interested in EVO-style tournament management. The relaxed "just do whatever" attitude we have here is pretty cool too.

This would be great if you could see who other people were picking when playing online :v:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm ready to face the winners in my bracket at any time. let's get it done.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm ready to face the winners in my bracket at any time. let's get it done.

When The Duck is ready it will be done.

Nnid is ZehulWa

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will be on For Glory until people are ready.

NNID: MrBaalSir

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

any progress on those matches?

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Evil Eagle posted:

No, got no word from dapperduck

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this is unlike you, DapperDuck. consider me disappointed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Evil Eagle posted:

I pmed him again and he said he wouldn't be home for another two hours.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
yeah gently caress that duck

im here now

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Zeuhl wins 2-0 , ggs

now i can stop checking this thread i am the true winner

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

DapperDuck posted:

Zeuhl wins 2-0 , ggs

now i can stop checking this thread i am the true winner

GGs.

Evil Eagle I am ready for our match

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Zeuhl posted:

GGs.

Evil Eagle I am ready for our match

let's DO THIS

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I added you

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Room's up. Mii name is Lufus

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I pmed him again and he said he wouldn't be home for another two hours.

Yeah, in that case I probably won't be able to face the winner tonight.

I've got plenty of free time tomorrow and thursday evening, so hopefully that works out for the winner!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Really close matches. That first stage is really bad for Duck Hunt (the statue room anyway) but I managed a lucky off stage can while you were in smash mode. I was at like 161%, couldn't believe that.

2-0 in my favor over Zeuhl, I'll upload them in a bit. Until then, I'm ready to fight the next guy. _Endgame_, I think.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
I will be out of the country and unable to play from the 20th to 24th.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I will be out of the country and unable to play from the 20th to 24th.

If I fight _Endgame_ now, you're next on the bracket for who ever wins. We're catching up finally.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Evil Eagle posted:

If I fight _Endgame_ now, you're next on the bracket for who ever wins. We're catching up finally.

Yeah hopefully we get that match done before I head off, seems doubtful the upper half will catch up any time soon though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Huh, uh, yeah! Sorry. I'm here.
What time is Sofia usually around?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

Huh, uh, yeah! Sorry. I'm here.
What time is Sofia usually around?

Sofia's on now dude, use the IRC :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If you use IRC you are disqualified.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

that would disqualify roughly 50% of the players

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

that would disqualify roughly 50% of the players

:twisted:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

mabels big day posted:

youre a disqualified

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess he and I will reconvene tomorrow then.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I will take his place.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going back home starting today until the 27th and I don't think they have a stable internet connection there so I'm probably out unless I can figure something out.

Here are my matches with Zeuhl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6cOrlNES0U Duck Hunt v. Shulk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mezwmsBjgM4 Duck Hunt v. Toon Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Well I'm not gonna drop you yet. See if you can figure something out, but it's very possible that the upper half of the bracket won't have even caught up to you guys by then.

I understand that holidays are happening, and people are going to travel/have company/generally be unable to play. I was hoping to get the bracket done by Chistmas, but since that isn't looking likely I'm not going to worry too much about matches taking a week or more. We'll see where we are in the few days after Christmas, and if we have to make drops I'll do it then.

• Locked thread