Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in summary, here is my three point plan for fixing san francisco:
  1. forcibly demolish all the beautiful detached homes. (ugly ones can stay, market forces will take care of them)
  2. build more apartment buildings
  3. eat the rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pacific ocean take it iiiin

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what i'm getting is that to fix the bay we must flatten and reinstall

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

LA: a worthy goal for urban planning

compared to san francisco, it's half the cost of living with about the same wages

i don't know that it would be a model for anywhere else, but a lot of things look good compared to the clusterfuck that is the bay area

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

22 story office building going up on our block this week. yall are some redneck motherfuckers

there's talk of an 80 story building going up here in minneapolis. it'l be 100 ft/23 floors taller than the current tallest. p cool imo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's on my mind today because they hit a gas main while doing the foundation piles for it and the block smells like farts

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

heh the bay area is the best place to live on the loving planet

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

well yeah, i don't know how useful an early warning would be against a rocket with a flight time of a few seconds.

seriously, most of them are like poorly scaled estes rockets, and roughly as effective

code:
aaf
                                            ,:                             
                                          ,' |                             
                                         /   :                             
                                      --'   /                              
                                      \/ />/                               
                                      / <//_\                              
                                   __/   /                                 
                                   )'-. /                                  
                                   ./  :\                                  
                                    /.' '                                  
                                  '/'                                      
                                  +                                        
                                 '                                         
                               `.                                          
                           .-"-                                            
                          (    |                                           
                       . .-'  '.     I DON'T SEE WHAT                      
                      ( (.   )8:     THE ISRAELIS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT    
                  .'    / (_  )                                            
                   _. :(.   )8P  `                                         
               .  (  `-' (  `.   .   AFTER ALL WHOO HOO FREE QASSAM ROCKETS
                .  :  (   .a8a)                                            
               /_`( "a `a. )"'                                             
           (  (/  .  ' )=='                                                
          (   (    )  .8"   +                                              
            (`'8a.( _(   (                                                 
         ..-. `8P    ) `  )  +                                             
       -'   (      -ab:  )                                                 
     '    _  `    (8P"Ya                                                   
   _(    (    )b  -`.  ) +                                                 
  ( 8)  ( _.aP" _a   \( \   *        (SLIGHTLY USED)                       
+  )/    (8P   (88    )  )                                                 
   (a:f   "     `"       `                                                 

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Elder Postsman posted:

there's talk of an 80 story building going up here in minneapolis. it'l be 100 ft/23 floors taller than the current tallest. p cool imo.

right now there are four separate residential towers all over 1,000 ft under construction in manhattan

i can't wait for the tech bubble to pop and interest rates to go up so this madness can stop. there is no reason to build 100 story residential towers anywhere on earth, that is not a thing the world needs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BONGHITZ posted:

heh the bay area is the best place to live on the loving planet

if you bought your house for $50,000 forty years ago and you pay ten dollars a year in property tax, sure

let all the young people pay for govt services, i'll just sit here and drink my imported whiskey and stare at the german luxury cars i bought with a HELOC

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Elder Postsman posted:

rip ids tower['s status]

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

right now there are four separate residential towers all over 1,000 ft under construction in manhattan

i can't wait for the tech bubble to pop and interest rates to go up so this madness can stop. there is no reason to build 100 story residential towers anywhere on earth, that is not a thing the world needs

yues. build 600 mcmansions instead. pack em tight on those windy streets where every one is a cul de sac so mexicans cant use the thoroughfares to get to the job we pay them $2 an hour for

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gently caress you i want arcologies and i want them now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wish u would launch out of this thread

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this one isn't gonna be all residential. city's reqs are

an iconic, high-quality, designed new construction structure(s) of at least 20 active floors
a mix of commercial, retail, residential, office and hotel uses
active street-level retail
integrated green space for the public

i'm excited, i like tall buildings. also,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain Foo posted:

wish u would launch out of this thread

nah the darco was way cooler

look at those little plane things

also the big screen on this guy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah the thing is the units in these buildings cost $20 million or more. they're super tall and super skinny, so you have maximum window frontage and minimum usable sq footage

it's not like these are megatowers for ordinary human beings to live in. nobody needs more glass-walled monuments to the phallic might of the capitalist class

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Do you have too many friends? Do you absolutely hate when someone wants to hang out with you? Are you the kind of person who is far too important to field a text from each individual friend and would simply like to put a big "Do Not Disturb" sign on your life? Well get excited, because your new favorite app just hit the iPhone and it's ready to tell all your annoying acquaintances to bark up someone else's social tree. It's called Red/Green, and it's the quickest way to feel super important.

The idea here is that you'll adopt a very binary way of approaching your social availability. No more "Anyone want to hang out later?" or "Let's go to the movies tomorrow" for you. It's all about the here and now. When you're busy -- which is all the time because you're awesome and super important -- you switch your status to red, which means "Go away I'm too busy for your weird friendship stuff." However, on the off chance that you're not jet-setting or taking your significant other (who is a model and also a movie star) out for dinner, you can set your status to green, to signal all your inadequate friends to come running like sheep to slaughter.

Oh, you're on the outs with certain people in your social circle? No worries, because Red/Green lets you keep those grudges going by allowing only certain people to see that you're available for friendly interactions, while the rest of the plebeians will be given a big middle finger. Isn't the future wonderful?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh cool another app to solve a problem i don't have :smith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

As a Millennial I posted:

oh cool another app to solve a problem i don't have :smith:

get a model/actress girlfriend, duh

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

22 story office building going up on our block this week. yall are some redneck motherfuckers

says the man who lives in a winnebago

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
*friends u on the new social*

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FamDav posted:

says the man who lives in a winnebago

winnebagos are like the Cadillac 300 of RVs - olds buy them on name recognition, youngs buy them for status because you're paying 2 to 2.5x the actual value of the thing, all for the name. they're nice, but not $42k for a 19 footer nice.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

do they make like an airstream rv. i really like airstreams, the bare metal looks hell of cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

Do you have too many friends? Do you absolutely hate when someone wants to hang out with you? Are you the kind of person who is far too important to field a text from each individual friend and would simply like to put a big "Do Not Disturb" sign on your life? Well get excited, because your new favorite app just hit the iPhone and it's ready to tell all your annoying acquaintances to bark up someone else's social tree. It's called Red/Green, and it's the quickest way to feel super important.

The idea here is that you'll adopt a very binary way of approaching your social availability. No more "Anyone want to hang out later?" or "Let's go to the movies tomorrow" for you. It's all about the here and now. When you're busy -- which is all the time because you're awesome and super important -- you switch your status to red, which means "Go away I'm too busy for your weird friendship stuff." However, on the off chance that you're not jet-setting or taking your significant other (who is a model and also a movie star) out for dinner, you can set your status to green, to signal all your inadequate friends to come running like sheep to slaughter.

Oh, you're on the outs with certain people in your social circle? No worries, because Red/Green lets you keep those grudges going by allowing only certain people to see that you're available for friendly interactions, while the rest of the plebeians will be given a big middle finger. Isn't the future wonderful?

true innovation. icq certainly couldn't have come up with this concept in like 1995

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you bought your house for $50,000 forty years ago and you pay ten dollars a year in property tax, sure

let all the young people pay for govt services, i'll just sit here and drink my imported whiskey and stare at the german luxury cars i bought with a HELOC

taking out a secured loan in a property should automatically trigger the assessment being reset to that appraisal for tax purposes.

really loving tired of homeowners whining about their property tax assessments when they are lower than the appraisal value they used to refinance.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is no reason to build 100 story residential towers anywhere on earth, that is not a thing the world needs

i saw this ugly piece of poo poo for the first time yesterday

jfc, just ughhhhhh

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
tempe had height restrictions until recently and now oyu can't see the mountains from 75% of the city. drat urban developers ruining my eye lines

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol these are exclusively investment properties for people well above bubbles and interest rates

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

why dont you guys just convince your bosses to let you wfh and then you can mob up in india or somewhere cheap

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the best part about talking about india and the tech scene is that you can't really say much about 2014 india without sounding a little racist. they unified as far as work ethic goes and now you're a terrible racist if you point out that they have institutionalized academic fraud and a 'do just enough to get paid' culture

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

the best part about talking about india and the tech scene is that you can't really say much about 2014 india without sounding a little racist. they unified as far as work ethic goes and now you're a terrible racist if you point out that they have institutionalized academic fraud and a 'do just enough to get paid' culture

they are learning a lot from America

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

yeah i'm not seeing anything wrong with "do just enough to get paid"

you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ultramiraculous posted:

i saw this ugly piece of poo poo for the first time yesterday

jfc, just ughhhhhh

the 95 million dollar penthouse is already sold :eyepop:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

I can't wait for it to become a dorm room for some oligarch's daughter!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Elder Postsman posted:

sold sight unseen

that particular property, they demand that you put down the full purchase price without seeing a drat thing. not even a tour of the construction sight. nothing

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Jonny 290 posted:

a former coworker of mine used to go back to india for holidays and every time he came back he had a new degree. he was almost the most highly "qualified" person on the job despite doing nothing all day then taking a 2 hour dump

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sold sight unseen

that particular property, they demand that you put down the full purchase price without seeing a drat thing. not even a tour of the construction sight. nothing

I imagine most of those are sold unfinished, the $30 million penthouse in the millenium tower in SF did since they assumed [probably correctly] that whoever bought it would want the whole inside to exactly their specifications

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sold sight unseen

mostly because

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol these are exclusively investment properties for people well above bubbles and interest rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
there's a diagram somewhere showing how many floors of some apartment building were actually lived in by people and how many are uninhabited and owned by holding companies (it's most of them)

• Locked thread