Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Warmachine posted:

This begs the question of how you can crowbar a Garma's Funeral reference into Build Fighters.
Easy. Have either Nils or Caroline do a big speech with a picture of a Gundam's head behind them during the opening ceremony for the nationals. End with a "Sieg Gunpla" gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

Sadly, they aren't. If they were going to upgrade, we would have seen the toys already.

Red kid def is gonna get an upgrade, he hasn't even created a gunpla yet which is like the spirit of the show.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tenzarin posted:

Red kid def is gonna get an upgrade, he hasn't even created a gunpla yet which is like the spirit of the show.

ER-HEM

:colbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
New Episode is live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0urQfwUFz_Q

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Haha, I actually ended up staying up all night working on a kit. Guess it means I can watch this before the flood of posts then.

Hahahahahhaa Caroline forced Nils to take her last name. :allears:

EDIT: oh my god the first scene after the op :allears: :allears: :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 17, 2014

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I'm still up, but if I watch the episode now, then I won't have anything to look forward to after I wake up. This is, like, the most ridiculous problem ever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

oh my loving god tatsuya's entrance :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That was an amazing episode right up until Sekai came in. It is kind of amazing how fast the fight went downhill after that, even with the amazing "PAPER BEATS ROCK SUCKER" bit. A shining finger with a gunpla's head already on it is pretty amazing though.

Also the ending was rushed as hell but it was so amazingly silly I can't hate it.

quote:

MAN-003 Patulia (X)
GW-9800 Gundam Airmaster (X)

I spent a while looking around the wiki to try and identify those Zeon suits, but I'm pretty sure they're all customs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I didn't like this episode.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I spent a while looking around the wiki to try and identify those Zeon suits, but I'm pretty sure they're all customs.

It's two Zaku's and a dressed up Psycommu Zaku.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

One is a Zaku II High Mobility type with symmetrical shoulders, shields converted into knuckles, and a backpack out of Thunderbolt. The other is a Psycommu Zaku with a Dom inspired head, the Jagd Doga's funnels, and High Mobility type legs. The last is a snazzed up Zaku II with Zabi style gold trim and what looked to be a different backpack.

If you're going to be a casual smartass you'd better be more accurate. :colbert:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 17, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They're mobile suits.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh I don't know, I think Sekai had to interfere so he'd finally get chumped by SOMEONE.

Still wish Fumina got to do more than become Sekai's fist, but maybe meeting with Lady in the next episode will change her style a bit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yuuma will be my favorite character forever if someone ever bothers to call him on being a gigantic whiny ham and he gets defensive about it. I lost a gunpla battle once and he called me mean names two years ago! :qq:

Monaghan posted:

oh my loving god tatsuya's entrance :allears:

I was literally in tears. Meijin of my heart.

Sharkopath posted:

I didn't like this episode.

It wasn't as good as the last two episodes but it wasn't terrible. I expected this and maybe the next ep or two to be a little rocky because we're going to be cranking out introductions to the Nationals rivals since they decided to Worf all the previously introduced ones.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the silver and gold Zaku was based on the Dozle Zabi Custom. And now that we've had a better look at it, my suspicions have been confirmed - that machine from Yuuma's flashback seems like an obvious visual reference to Borcuse's Hykelion from Break Blade. Which is cool, because it's a badass design. Any idea what the boss suit from this episode was based on as a Gunpla/served as a shout-out to?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The knuckle is being chumped every episode now and we know that next episode Lady is going to show + the episode after that its called "Beyond the Knuckle" so it could very well be a Fumina episode where she modifies the winning.

e-Episode was fine, interesting fight between Yuuma and Saga but I'm not looking forward to traumatized Yuuma again. Disappointing lack of Caroline though. The Flamenco made up for it.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 17, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Actually it's probably safe to assume the lab plays at Model Damage A, so Sekai has finally wrecked the Build Burning. Lightning's down too, and Winning seems due for a rehaul. Maybe they really are going to upgrade without announcing the toys first. Seems kind of odd, considering the nature of the series, but eh.

Sharkopath posted:

They're mobile suits.

uh excuse me they're toys
:goonsay:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

It wasn't as good as the last two episodes but it wasn't terrible. I expected this and maybe the next ep or two to be a little rocky because we're going to be cranking out introductions to the Nationals rivals since they decided to Worf all the previously introduced ones.

I like the show less when it frames itself as a standard dramatic shonen show, and like it more when its lighthearted and fun.

The intro was cool, I liked the zaku team dudes as a pair of cocky jerkwads and was hopeful to see them, but once the Yuuma fight started happening I didn't enjoy the episode as much, until Meijin descended from heaven.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The knuckle is being chumped every episode now and we know that next episode Lady is going to show + the episode after that its called "Beyond the Knuckle" so it could very well be a Fumina episode where she modifies the winning.

e-Episode was fine, interesting fight between Yuuma and Saga but I'm not looking forward to traumatized Yuuma again. Disappointing lack of Caroline though.

The parallels between the Knuckle and the Absorb Shield are pretty obvious but the Knuckle hasn't been done as well. The Absorb Shield started to get chumped constantly because the Star Build's opponents recognized its limitations and worked around it in various ways(ballistic weapons, melee combat, etc) while the Knuckle is starting to get chumped constantly in similar fashion but it's mostly happening because apparently the wrist connector on the Build Burning was built during one of Sei's off days.

Sharkopath posted:

I like the show less when it frames itself as a standard dramatic shonen show, and like it more when its lighthearted and fun.

The intro was cool, I liked the zaku team dudes as a pair of cocky jerkwads and was hopeful to see them, but once the Yuuma fight started happening I didn't enjoy the episode as much, until Meijin descended from heaven.

I actually agree with you completely, which is why I'm still holding out hope that someone's going to bust out laughing at Yuuma's trauma dramatics and go "Dude, it's a game. Suck it up and try again" because having that get played for laughs and him getting really touchy about it would instantly redeem his bland arc. Similarly, Sekai is a much more interesting and fun character when he's bouncing off people who simply cannot comprehend his weird rear end world view like when he was trading snark with the zaku team dudes but super duper boring when he's being Generic Shounen Protagonist or Wise Wisdom Dispenser.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 17, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So yeah, since Yuuma seems to have the wrong guy, I'm hoping we see more of the Hydra Hykelion in action.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So yeah, since Yuuma seems to have the wrong guy, I'm hoping we see more of the Hydra Hykelion in action.

Doubtful, the dude was already credited in the first episode he showed up. And the site already confirms he's the guy that hosed up middle school Yuuma.

e- Actually now I dont know. Maybe Saga's suit is called "The End" or "G-End" could go either way.

vvv
Yeah just read it in the site.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 17, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I thought it was called 'The End.'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Doubtful, the dude was already credited in the first episode he showed up. And the site already confirms he's the guy that hosed up middle school Yuuma.

Really? We see Yuuma's nemesis in the flashback at 16:34, and then we see a guy with an identical haircut commenting on the battle at 21:16.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's another guy entirely. Kei Karima, he's apparently voiced by Sugita. He has finally made it into a Gundam show.

With a character that pilots a MA. :allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? We see Yuuma's nemesis in the flashback at 16:34, and then we see a guy with an identical haircut commenting on the battle at 21:16.

If you are talking about the long haired guy it seems he fights with mobile armors so expect him to get chumped effortlessly.

Auto translate does a fantastic job of butchering TAKUs description though

:gay: posted:

Popular tremendous Idol rock band, the leader of the "third generation Sugokku", in charge of vocals and lead guitar. It is thought that it is also allowed doing it if celebrities were, unfortunately Twink. Motto is, Iroquois manure of gay.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 17, 2014

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
I only have one thing to say about that episode.
[FLAMENCO INTENSIFIES]

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm kind of torn on this episode.

It had some truly amazing things. Nils Yajima, the hilarious Anime Ja Nai singing, Tatsuya descending from the heavens like Gundam 0 on steroids.

Unfortunately the actual fighting and rivalry was mostly pretty uninteresting. Yuuma vs the hilarious fusion of Master Gundam and a Gundam 00 mecha was actually pretty good. At worst it just reinforced the hilarious refusal they have to even try to show a 3v3 fight.

Unfortunately from there it just descended into the usual. Yuuma was taken out and Fumina literally did nothing besides barely-animatedly shoot at an enemy who barely seemed to acknowledge she existed, followed by splitting apart so Sekai could get his Build Knuckle on. The Jigen Haoh might not have won but it didn't make it any more interesting to watch up until that point. It's also really goddamn frustrating that the show keeps forgetting Fumina's Core Fighter exists as an actual unit that can injure things. Why isn't she shooting the DEAD-END SHOOTO Gundam in the back? Where is her Core Fighter even during the fight?

Edit:
I really think the most damning thing I can say is that every bit of the episode I was really invested in involved characters from the previous show, aside from anime ja nai~

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 17, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If they're going to have Sekai pop back-to-back moves, the JIIIGEN HAAOH starts to get redundant and a little annoying. The fight was pretty good when it was just the 1v1, but it really fell back on the boring fluff of the other fights when Fumina and Sekai jumped in :sigh:. I really miss the Powered GM Cardigan. It was a great MS with a pretty varied toolset for different roles in combat. Though my major complaint with this episode is that they've resorted to lazy character introduction again, because there's the next round of teams watching from above and being mysterious :rolleyes::fh:.

That said though; my god that entrance at the end :munch:. I started laughing when Flamenco at Six Times the Passion played and the flower came to life. Though if he has a machine that's three times as fast, does this mean he's at eighteen times normal Passion now?

BlitzBlast posted:

Actually it's probably safe to assume the lab plays at Model Damage A, so Sekai has finally wrecked the Build Burning. Lightning's down too, and Winning seems due for a rehaul. Maybe they really are going to upgrade without announcing the toys first. Seems kind of odd, considering the nature of the series, but eh.

Much as I hate to disagree, the Winning's alive and well in the preview for the next episode. I do think they're coming out of this little pre-tournament arc with new Gunpla though, as they did mention the place has engineering labs. Doesn't seem unreasonable that the arc finishes with them asking to borrow a lab for a day or two to use whatever they've learned. I just hope it's not just a new hat backpack and decorations for all three :pray:.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

I actually agree with you completely, which is why I'm still holding out hope that someone's going to bust out laughing at Yuuma's trauma dramatics and go "Dude, it's a game. Suck it up and try again" because having that get played for laughs and him getting really touchy about it would instantly redeem his bland arc. Similarly, Sekai is a much more interesting and fun character when he's bouncing off people who simply cannot comprehend his weird rear end world view like when he was trading snark with the zaku team dudes but super duper boring when he's being Generic Shounen Protagonist or Wise Wisdom Dispenser.

I really want this to happen to Yuuma but I think we are too far into the show for them to suddenly solve it with a joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the show really is just better when it doesn't take itself seriously. SERIOUS GUNPLA BATTLES between SERIOUS PEOPLE just isn't very interesting. Meijin Kawaguchi The 3rd works because he is incredibly super-serious about not taking this poo poo seriously and that's hilarious. He just wants people to play plastic toys and have fun. (At least in BF.)

A character who is literally traumatized by Gunpla Battle just feels... like, if they played it s a joke it'd be hilarious but they don't.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

Edit:
I really think the most damning thing I can say is that every bit of the episode I was really invested in involved characters from the previous show, aside from anime ja nai~

Yeah I groaned a bit when Sekai showed up but everyone getting chumped made it better. That revolver is sick.

Anime ja nai~ was so cute its almost painful

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think the show really is just better when it doesn't take itself seriously. SERIOUS GUNPLA BATTLES between SERIOUS PEOPLE just isn't very interesting. Meijin Kawaguchi The 3rd works because he is incredibly super-serious about not taking this poo poo seriously and that's hilarious. He just wants people to play plastic toys and have fun. (At least in BF.)

A character who is literally traumatized by Gunpla Battle just feels... like, if they played it s a joke it'd be hilarious but they don't.

I thought the same. Even with most of the incidental characters of Build Fighters, you could at least tell they were having fun with a hobby, instead of treating it like the be-all end-all most important thing in the world. Hell even just having them sitting down in the background working on their Gunpla adds some character. All we've gotten from about 2/3'rds of the characters seen thus far is wanting to win at any cost :effort:.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Christ Sekai, we get it. You trained at Jigen Haou Ryu. You don't have to shout it every loving time. It was cool when Kenshin did it because he didn't scream it out on every single thing he did, and he tended to actually end fights with it. It really is frustrating how all of the tension goes out of fights when Sekai shows up and Jigen's it up. Just show him fighting and leave the yelling for the finisher (or not at all) for fuckssake.

That said, good episode overall. Anime Ja nai is everything that is so awesome about this show, and was indeed so cute that it hurts.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but I suspect the white mobile suit was supposed to be a Dozel Zabi style custom in Shin Matsunaga colors. This fits in pretty well with the fact that they are Team White Wolf.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yuuma's' 'trauma' is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing in a show filled to the brim with ridiculous things. The difference is that the show acknowledges most of the other things are ridiculous whereas we're apparently supposed to take Yuuma's moaning seriously.

"A random dude beat me in Gunpla battle 2 years ago, and he mocked me after it! WOE, WOE, WOE!"

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 17, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Saga's gundam is duuuuuuuuuumb

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Let's talk about what's good in this episode!

'Anime ja nai' was cute and silly fun.

Meijin Kawaguchi descending from heaven as the righteous herald of Gunpla was both awesome and hilarious.

Also,

Swagger Dagger posted:

Saga's gundam is duuuuuuuuuumb

No, screw that. Gundam-headmouths stuck into hands are just the sort of weird crazyness I like.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Pureauthor posted:

No, screw that. Gundam-headmouths stuck into hands are just the sort of weird crazyness I like.
It has a cloak and gets a free pass solely based on that. Everything else is sweet, sweet cherry on top. I'm also enjoying the "I'm going to bash everything together no matter how little sense it makes" aspect of it. Looking forward to what else he has under that cloak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saga' Gundam is hilarious because it is so far the most plausible custom Gunpla kitbash in the world.

"What if Master Gundam was also a 00 Gundam and also a Cowboy?" That is the kind of amazing that is missing from the Gunpla we've seen so far. That is Sengoku Astray amazing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Daler Mehndi posted:

It has a cloak and gets a free pass solely based on that. Everything else is sweet, sweet cherry on top. I'm also enjoying the "I'm going to bash everything together no matter how little sense it makes" aspect of it. Looking forward to what else he has under that cloak.

It will be a massive gun barrel revolver with double drum magazines. Saga is compensating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Yuuma's' 'trauma' is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing in a show filled to with ridiculous things. The difference is that the show acknowledges most of the other things are ridiculous whereas we're apparently supposed to take Yuuma's moaning seriously.

"A random dude beat me in Gunpla battle 2 years ago, and he mocked me after it! WOE, WOE, WOE!"

That's what's so frustrating about it! There's absolutely no reason why somebody being traumatized by losing in a gunpla battle and being made fun of it after the fact should not be a ridiculous running joke, but they've played it 100% super seriously and it's dumb as hell!

poo poo, Sazaki's entire schtick in the first series was getting blown up and mocked about it after the fact, and he was total comic relief and was one of the most popular side characters in the show.

• Locked thread