Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

ICHIBAHN posted:

Also, you can't use password protected podcasts because there's no mechanism for logging in.

I think someone on my twitter stream said that you can often just pass the user and pass as part of the url a la http://blumpkin:rtrombone@holysee.va/podcast.rss and it'll work. I've never used a pw-ed feed but it sound like it's better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ICHIBAHN posted:

Also, you can't use password protected podcasts because there's no mechanism for logging in.

Most certainly can, just depends on how the password protection is implemented. Giant Bomb's premium feed works 100% fine with Overcast.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I switched from Overcast to Instacast just because I prefer a desktop client that syncs with the mobile app well, and the browser version of Overcast wasn't getting it done for me. I never used Smart Speed though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Are these apps orange?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I switched from Overcast to Instacast just because I prefer a desktop client that syncs with the mobile app well, and the browser version of Overcast wasn't getting it done for me. I never used Smart Speed though.

Use pocket casts for that functionality, though you'll have to shell out more cash for the web app syncing, it works perfectly from what I've used of it. Marco admits that the web app is lovely. I ended up just using AirPlay to playback overcast onto my computer (thus keeping the play speed functionality intact) but that's far from optimal. Here's to hoping that Marco gets to work on a new web app in 2915.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Apparently Marco has been working on the Overcast web player recently. It has speed controls now (though not Smart Speed yet) and time skip options that match your app settings. Search and adding podcasts are coming.

My main issue is not having playlists carry over. I spend silly amounts of time curating my main playlist, abandoning that would make me confront how I'm wasting that time.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ChetReckless posted:

My main issue is not having playlists carry over. I spend silly amounts of time curating my main playlist, abandoning that would make me confront how I'm wasting that time.

Yeah, all reasons why I've settled with using AirPlay for the time being. Once smart speed, accurate syncing, and playlists are in, it'll be perfect.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After listening to 10 episodes of Serial at Smart Speed settings, episode 11 at normal speed through the web player was weird.

Overcast has saved me 59 minutes in the last 2 weeks. My time is worth way more than justifying the $5.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The best one for the smart speed is Hardcore History. I saved almost 2 hours.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
You guys are weird. I basically listen to podcasts so I can kill time.

:shrug:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Dan does it especially for the drama. Seems uncool to edit out his beats.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

EC posted:

You guys are weird. I basically listen to podcasts so I can kill time.

:shrug:

My commute and gym time total 12 hours a week → My weekly podcasts are about 14 hours.
I used to have to delete numerous episodes I'd never have time to listen to pretty frequently; now it happens as little as a once a month.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 17, 2014

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

savesthedayrocks posted:

After listening to 10 episodes of Serial at Smart Speed settings, episode 11 at normal speed through the web player was weird.

Overcast has saved me 59 minutes in the last 2 weeks. My time is worth way more than justifying the $5.

It's funny because Serial is the only podcast I turn off all enhancements for, I want to experience it at 1X Speed without improvements.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
The new Google Drive update says I can upload from other apps. Problem is, I can't figure out how. I've given it all the permissions it needs.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The new Google Drive update says I can upload from other apps. Problem is, I can't figure out how. I've given it all the permissions it needs.

So there's two things - they've added an iOS8 share extension thing to upload files from the system share sheet
(this might've been a while ago), and they've also added the ability to upload files using the iOS storage extension api, but for that second one the source app has to support it by providing their own storage provider thing. If you're not seeing things in the upload files dialog that might be it (or if it's just that you just literally can't find it, it's the plus sign in the top right corner, then 'upload files')

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

dazjw posted:

So there's two things - they've added an iOS8 share extension thing to upload files from the system share sheet
(this might've been a while ago), and they've also added the ability to upload files using the iOS storage extension api, but for that second one the source app has to support it by providing their own storage provider thing. If you're not seeing things in the upload files dialog that might be it (or if it's just that you just literally can't find it, it's the plus sign in the top right corner, then 'upload files')

I can upload files just fine in the app, but I was expecting to use the share sheet in, say, the photos app to upload without opening the Drive app. unfortunately I don't see Drive anywhere on any share sheet.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Anyone have a suggestion for iOS Powerpoint remote software for people using PP on a Mac? I've tried iClickr and MyPoint, and they're both terrible and slow.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I can upload files just fine in the app, but I was expecting to use the share sheet in, say, the photos app to upload without opening the Drive app. unfortunately I don't see Drive anywhere on any share sheet.

Sorry, I got that wrong, there's no share sheet extension, just the file upload thing. Was confused because Snapseed offers a save to google drive thing in its sharesheet but this seems to be done using a different mechanism to the share extension.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Snowy posted:

I used mxtube occasionally but only for the downloading. Does Tubex do anything better than the YouTube app?
Well you can pick a default quality instead of the official app's auto quality (which tends to be overly conservative and drop to poo poo a lot here) and the playback controls are pretty much standard instead of whatever YouTube's UI is. And without the YouTube app installed you don't get automatically kicked out of Safari (a plus or minus depending on how you feel about that). Otherwise you can play and AirPlay in the background or locked, I've read others complaining about the official app not doing that, hell I think Safari can even do it now.

Khelmar posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for iOS Powerpoint remote software for people using PP on a Mac? I've tried iClickr and MyPoint, and they're both terrible and slow.
Import into Keynote :v:...unless they gutted the remote functionality in the newer versions.

How much control do they need, like could they get away with just a generic mouse/keyboard thing or does it have to be PP specific w/slide previews and stuff?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

japtor posted:

How much control do they need, like could they get away with just a generic mouse/keyboard thing or does it have to be PP specific w/slide previews and stuff?

I'm hoping to get the slide notes on there as well as slide controls. I'll try a few more and see - I'm looking for ways to improve my lecture by moving away from the laptop while I'm giving it.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
If anyone uses them anymore what is everybody's messenger of choice? I used to use trillion all the time but lately it seems to be messing with my iPad keyboard making it disappear in between messages. I was just wondering if there are better options out there? Mostly run AIM and gchat

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Tensokuu posted:

If anyone uses them anymore what is everybody's messenger of choice? I used to use trillion all the time but lately it seems to be messing with my iPad keyboard making it disappear in between messages. I was just wondering if there are better options out there? Mostly run AIM and gchat

Unironically Bitlbee with ZNC. Even Trillian ended up being poo poo about keeping track of message history across clients, so I finally just gave up and went with old school.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Khelmar posted:

I'm hoping to get the slide notes on there as well as slide controls. I'll try a few more and see - I'm looking for ways to improve my lecture by moving away from the laptop while I'm giving it.

I just use a presentation remote and wander around. Staring at your phone isn't much better than staring at a laptop. Just practice using your slides as speaking cues.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tensokuu posted:

This could be the way ios has been handling keyboards and not the specific app, for what its worth.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Overcast is nice, but like other Marco things he's limiting it by insisting on making it iOS only.

Pocketcasts syncs between iPad and Android Phone nicely.

Also, I have basically no desire to use any app without a night mode.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Kaizoku posted:

This could be the way ios has been handling keyboards and not the specific app, for what its worth.

It almost certainly is, however Trillian iOS hasn't seen an update since mid-2013. All of their other platforms have been updated within the last month.

I'm really hoping it's not some sort of Anti-iPhone snobbery on the part of the developers because that poo poo is incredibly tedious and has no place in an organization purporting to be marketing a "cross platform" app of any kind.

Call me frustrated by more than one heavily used app ceasing to update.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

CaptainCrunch posted:

It almost certainly is, however Trillian iOS hasn't seen an update since mid-2013. All of their other platforms have been updated within the last month.

I'm really hoping it's not some sort of Anti-iPhone snobbery on the part of the developers because that poo poo is incredibly tedious and has no place in an organization purporting to be marketing a "cross platform" app of any kind.

Call me frustrated by more than one heavily used app ceasing to update.

Call back when you spent 60 on the "lifetime subscription" for it. I guess it's a good thing I bailed on it already so it's not quite as infuriating.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Call back when you spent 60 on the "lifetime subscription" for it. I guess it's a good thing I bailed on it already so it's not quite as infuriating.

Yeah, I had my finger hovering over "buy" on that for a while. This has really dissuaded me from that. Trillion used to be the best option. I've got friends who refuse to abandon their old chat habits and aren't local. So this was the best way for me to keep in contact. Dang it.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Unironically Bitlbee with ZNC. Even Trillian ended up being poo poo about keeping track of message history across clients, so I finally just gave up and went with old school.

It seriously seems like there isn't a single good AIM client for iOS. I have also been using Bitlbee.

Trillian would be at least acceptable if it was usable in landscape mode, but it's broken in iOS 8 (message window flies upwards, offscreen).

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

An Enormous Boner posted:

It seriously seems like there isn't a single good AIM client for iOS. I have also been using Bitlbee.

Trillian would be at least acceptable if it was usable in landscape mode, but it's broken in iOS 8 (message window flies upwards, offscreen).

I have at least 4 or 5 "best chat client for iOS" apps sitting in my purchase history spanning over the last four or five years. Any one that was even remotely usable ended up getting spontaneously discontinued, it's a horrible losing game. Right now the best iOS chat client I have is the native Slack app for work, and even that doesn't support landscape mode.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
A week ago on their forums one of the devs said "we're working on fixing iOS 8 functionality" but apparently they've been saying they're working on fixing iOS functionality for over a year now and they haven't shown anything at all to actually back up those claims. :sigh:

I backed Trillian so long ago that my original account has lifetime membership without having to have paid the $60. It's still super frustrating because I pretty much use it everywhere else.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Well, I hope they add IRC support to the client when that update for sure definitely drops ASAP.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone else finding Transit to be using a LOT of battery? My usage statistics says it's 48% of my battery usage in the past 24 hours, even though I haven't actually opened it in that time. I have now force quit it and removed the widget, so hopefully that will help.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Anyone else finding Transit to be using a LOT of battery? My usage statistics says it's 48% of my battery usage in the past 24 hours, even though I haven't actually opened it in that time. I have now force quit it and removed the widget, so hopefully that will help.

Must be just you. I use both it and the widget a couple times every day, and I've only got 5% in the last 24 hours, even less over the last 7 days.

Tried out Nintype a couple days ago. Couldn't complete the tutorial but stuck with it for another day or two. I just couldn't get the hang of it and asked for a refund from Apple and got it within a day. They didn't delete the app from my purchases though, so maybe I'll give it another shot when I upgrade to the 6 this weekend. SwiftKey recognizes iOS keyboard shortcuts now though (of which I had many before iOS 8), and for me that's another nail in Nintype's coffin. Also the SwiftKey Christmas theme is neat.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

tuyop posted:

I just use a presentation remote and wander around. Staring at your phone isn't much better than staring at a laptop. Just practice using your slides as speaking cues.

I do-I'm switching to a new lecture format where my slides are all just pictures. I was hoping to have the lecture notes of the memory aid. A handheld presenter may be the way to go.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Do any of y'all use sleepy time music/ambience apps? What are your favorites? I've been using Pzizz on a speaker dock for a few months now but I tend to fixate on the repeating music modules and it gets a little counter productive.

I don't like straight up white noise / tv static, either.

gently caress sleep. I hate sleeping.

Edit: oh, and bonus points for working on an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1. I'll get an adapter or new lightning dock some day...

Bummey fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 20, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I highly recommend Noisli.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Bummey posted:

Do any of y'all use sleepy time music/ambience apps? What are your favorites? I've been using Pzizz on a speaker dock for a few months now but I tend to fixate on the repeating music modules and it gets a little counter productive.

I don't like straight up white noise / tv static, either.

gently caress sleep. I hate sleeping.

Edit: oh, and bonus points for working on an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1. I'll get an adapter or new lightning dock some day...

Sleep Cycle has been working well for me. It's one of those sleep trackers you put under your sheets, which also lets the ambient noise turns off after it thinks you are asleep(optional, has a setting). Most of the sounds are naturish in theme. Rain, wind, creek, etc. The alarm clock is really nice also if you use it under your sheets, the snooze is the best I've ever used if that's your thing.

I believe it's a really old app, so there should be an iOS 6 version available.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why do I have an "edited" folder in my photos app that I can't delete? I know I used iPhoto once to edit some photos and I guess these are the ones. How the hell do I get rid of it?

E: wth there's also a camera uploads folder in there. How do I get rid of it? It's only there on the iPad, not on the iPhone.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Bummey posted:

Do any of y'all use sleepy time music/ambience apps? What are your favorites?

I use Rain, Rain. As the name suggests it specializes in rain sounds. City rain. Distant thunder. Rain on a tent. (My fave).