Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's kind of bizarre since marvel coming up with mutants entirely predates it, but the whole mutants thing only needs a few minor tweaks to work really well as a war on terror metaphor from a muslim perspective.

Lurdiak posted:

Being a good metaphor for things is the main reason the franchise has done so well over the years.

All the stuff they actually INTEND to use it as a metaphor for it works terribly for though.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Being a good metaphor for things is the main reason the franchise has done so well over the years.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

They do a great job of representing:

A. Minorities
B. Teenagers

The second is probably the bigger part of their popularity, but you can substitute mutants for any oppressed group you want.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Has there ever been an X Men / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Daredevil/TMNT would be better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TMNT/Daredevil/Teen Titans/X-men/Spider-man.

The Spider-man part is to boost sales.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

notthegoatseguy posted:

Daredevil/TMNT would be better.

TMNT origin already includes such a crossover.

(But I'm guessing you already knew that.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Has there ever been an X Men / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover?
Technically yes, in that this piece of fanart exists:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

It's kind of bizarre since marvel coming up with mutants entirely predates it, but the whole mutants thing only needs a few minor tweaks to work really well as a war on terror metaphor from a muslim perspective.

All the stuff they actually INTEND to use it as a metaphor for it works terribly for though.

Yeah. A terrorist leader of a denounced minority attacking civilians in the name of a superior way of life, and that minority then being hounded as a resu.t

Not seeing the resemblence.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

People are saying "this bigotry doesn't make sense" as though any bigotry ever makes sense.

Think of it this way. The average blue collar Joe who just lost his job will hate the guy born into wealth, not the guy who won the lottery. Also, there IS a massive hate campaign centered around Spider-man, or else Jameson's Fox-like media empire would be insolvent.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SlimGoodbody posted:

Think of it this way. The average blue collar Joe who just lost his job will hate the guy born into wealth, not the guy who won the lottery.
hahahaha what, yes they will. And in terms of random luck, I'd be hard pressed to find a way they aren't really close to equivalent.

In fact, just this week there was a big "controversy" because a registered sex offender won the lottery, and people were pissed because they think the system shouldn't reward bad people.

edit: And yeah, bigotry is usually really, really easy to understand, what are you on about

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mutant hate in X-Men is about capturing the emotional reality of being prejudiced against, not representing the societal forces that cause people to be bigoted. It makes for entertaining mutant-focused character-driven stories. It falls apart when you try to examine it as a "world building" exercise. So, enjoy the former and try not to get too invested in the latter.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

hahahaha what, yes they will. And in terms of random luck, I'd be hard pressed to find a way they aren't really close to equivalent.

In fact, just this week there was a big "controversy" because a registered sex offender won the lottery, and people were pissed because they think the system shouldn't reward bad people.

edit: And yeah, bigotry is usually really, really easy to understand, what are you on about

First point, people might be envious of those who luck into wealth, but they have seething class hatred for people who have always had wealth and whose families have always had wealth and for whom wealth is taken for granted.

Second point: please do go on about the easy, rational, and logical seeds of bigotry. I'm legitimately curious as to why you think this.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SlimGoodbody posted:

First point, people might be envious of those who luck into wealth, but they have seething class hatred for people who have always had wealth and whose families have always had wealth and for whom wealth is taken for granted.
I disagree, people hate anyone they don't think is worthy. Read stories about what actually happens to lottery winners, they generally lose all their friends.

quote:

Second point: please do go on about the easy, rational, and logical seeds of bigotry. I'm legitimately curious as to why you think this.
I did not say rational, I said understandable. It's pretty easy to predict how a bigot is going to think on most things, barring the farthest fringe, which are really just people who are mentally ill AND bigoted.

And again, we're not really talking about "why do they hate mutants" but rather "why DON'T they hate the other heroes." And, as a counterpoint to your own example, why don't they hate the Fantastic Four, specifically? The only reason they have powers is they were born into families with enough connections to get them into goddamn space, no?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Mutant hate in X-Men is about capturing the emotional reality of being prejudiced against, not representing the societal forces that cause people to be bigoted. It makes for entertaining mutant-focused character-driven stories. It falls apart when you try to examine it as a "world building" exercise. So, enjoy the former and try not to get too invested in the latter.
I agree with you - I'm a huge advocate of shedding internal universe "if you think about it, it doesn't make sense that..." type thinking if it limits the storyteller's ability to tell a story. That doesn't mean that it isn't a bit fun to point out the inconsistencies. :)

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 16, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Fantastic Four are all publicly known, have kids, and have visibly saved the world from Galactus. They're like celebrities and people are more accepting of them because of their family aspect, and the fact they're always in the news and super visible.

Meanwhile the X-Men are usually saving the world from another mutant who has caused a lot of harm, and are insular and not celebrated or really publicly known.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

All of the X-Men's heroics are done Black Ops style. Most of it happens in secret underground labs or in the Savage Land. And even when it does happen in cities, it's never clear if they are saving people, or just cleaning up another mutant's mess.

That's why one of the first thing Cyclops did with his Extinction Team was get a PR person and try and display them as heroes. (Pro-Tip, do not name a Heroic group EXTINCTION TEAM.)

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

The Question IRL posted:

Pro-Tip, do not name a Heroic group EXTINCTION TEAM.

To be fair, all the good X- names have been taken. X-Patriot and X-Terminate were vetoed, and X-py is to TV Tropes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

See, this is where branding helps. If the X-men were instead known as "The Brotherhood of Good Mutants", then people would know right away where they stand. But "X-men"? Well that could mean anything.

I finally realized how stupid Xavier is. He names a team X-Men, his first initial. But then hides the fact that everything he's doing is mutant related. YOU PUT YOUR NAME ON THE TEAM.

I may be as dumb as Xavier for only just now figuring this out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

IUG posted:

I finally realized how stupid Xavier is. He names a team X-Men, his first initial. But then hides the fact that everything he's doing is mutant related. YOU PUT YOUR NAME ON THE TEAM.

No no, he didn't name them after himself!

Professor X posted:

they "possess an extra power... one which ordinary humans do not!! That is why I call my students... X-Men, for EX-tra power!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Professor Xavier... is a JERK!

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

redbackground posted:

Technically yes, in that this piece of fanart exists:

...who is the Colossus turtle?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Magneto Rex posted:

...who is the Colossus turtle?

I think that's supposed to be Metalhead

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Waterhaul posted:

Either way the idea of minorities pretending to be "normal" is never going to fly and rightly so.

I think in something like the comics this could be a really interesting story. In the real world you get stories of people who have hidden their racial, ethnic, sexual and/or religious backgrounds in various times and places in order to avoid various persecutions.

It's something that wouldn't likely fly so well in 'modern' Marvel Universe where I think the mutant fear has become somewhat lessened, but some 20-25 years ago I think it could have been a fairly good basis of a character: A mutant intentionally hiding the fact they're a mutant to be a respected superhero, the sort of personal and social ramifications of it with perhaps a few members of the mutant/human community that would know it, etc.

I know it was sort of done the opposite way for House of M Spider-Man, though, and a bit less emphasized as the central focus of Jan in the Ultimates.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

IUG posted:

I like to call them the former men

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The biggest thing I find implausible about mutants and super powered people in general is how Tony Stark is pretty much the only dude who has figured out to become crazy rich in the marvel universe and he doesn't even have any powers! It's always normal guys like Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne and T'Challa that are controlling the economy and not people like say holy poo poo Magneto or Storm or the Shadow King or any number of people making billions of dollars off their super powers and doing crazy things to the global economy.

Basically, Kid Marvelman would be the real threat and it would be a huge issue

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The biggest thing I find implausible about mutants and super powered people in general is how Tony Stark is pretty much the only dude who has figured out to become crazy rich in the marvel universe and he doesn't even have any powers! It's always normal guys like Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne and T'Challa that are controlling the economy and not people like say holy poo poo Magneto or Storm or the Shadow King or any number of people making billions of dollars off their super powers and doing crazy things to the global economy.

What do you call the Hellfire Club?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also I don't think Dr Doom was always a ruler of his own country, was he?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you call the Hellfire Club?

Ehhh, I guess. They were more about Claremont basically watching an episode of Avengers and deciding to write it into his comics. The fact that the Hellfire club had super powers was more of an afterthought if anything and given the powers available to them they have had a pretty pathetic impact on society. I've always thought the premise is kind of half assed and again I think it stems out of that fact that it was more strongly inspired by emulating stories about non-powered secret societies than really letting one's imagination go wild when it comes to the economic power that these people would have

Think of the social upheaval someone like the White Queen or Magneto or Storm could cause if they used their power purely for economic domination as opposed to the usual "I'm going to flip some cars over in Times Square and immediately get apprehended" villain shtick

Edit post: I'm referring to the comic hellfire club, forgot which thread I'm in. But.. I legitimately don't even remember what the First Class Hellfire Club accomplished or what they were trying to do which I think says something

Edit: Doom is a lot closer to what I would expect a competent powerhouse to be capable of, yep. Pro as hell, makes other villains look like chumps for the most part. Probably the coolest villain in comics. I'm sure he will be a terrific redditor or whatever the hell they are making him in the movie :doom:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 17, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It seems Viola Davis is Amanda Waller

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I'm not familiar with her work, and she might be the most amazing actress alive, but she is not Oprah, and after that rumor I will settle for nothing less than The Wall's Book Club.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Oprah would be awesome as it's the crazy star attached to the role casting, Davis is the far better choice as she's a way better actor and has more of a chance of committing to the role for a while .

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

enigma105 posted:

To be fair, all the good X- names have been taken. X-Patriot and X-Terminate were vetoed, and X-py is to TV Tropes.

Team X-Mas.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ehhh, I guess. They were more about Claremont basically watching an episode of Avengers and deciding to write it into his comics. The fact that the Hellfire club had super powers was more of an afterthought if anything and given the powers available to them they have had a pretty pathetic impact on society. I've always thought the premise is kind of half assed and again I think it stems out of that fact that it was more strongly inspired by emulating stories about non-powered secret societies than really letting one's imagination go wild when it comes to the economic power that these people would have

Think of the social upheaval someone like the White Queen or Magneto or Storm could cause if they used their power purely for economic domination as opposed to the usual "I'm going to flip some cars over in Times Square and immediately get apprehended" villain shtick

Edit post: I'm referring to the comic hellfire club, forgot which thread I'm in. But.. I legitimately don't even remember what the First Class Hellfire Club accomplished or what they were trying to do which I think says something

Edit: Doom is a lot closer to what I would expect a competent powerhouse to be capable of, yep. Pro as hell, makes other villains look like chumps for the most part. Probably the coolest villain in comics. I'm sure he will be a terrific redditor or whatever the hell they are making him in the movie :doom:

I know the White Queen (I think in Generation X) was a teenage runaway that used her mental powers to gain stock tips and insider trading, eventually rolling in the green.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I am fine with this. She's been pretty great on HTGAWM.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shageletic posted:

I know the White Queen (I think in Generation X) was a teenage runaway that used her mental powers to gain stock tips and insider trading, eventually rolling in the green.

The magician Kaluu used his black magic to make piles of money through stock trades. I think his goal was primarily "make it so money isn't something I have to care about".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theflyingorc posted:

I think there are some issues of Ultimate Spider-man where some anti-mutant stuff gets pointed at him.

It doesn't make sense, though. Even for people filled with hate, there's no reason to hate people born with a condition versus people who developed it - in fact much of homophobia is centered around NOT thinking that it's innate.

This isn't quite right. People hate and fear homosexuals. That the nature vs. nurture argument comes up is a product of that hate and fear, not the cause of it. If you really hated the idea of someone being gay then it would terrify you to think your kid could just happen to turn out that way no matter what you do. The fiction of choosing to be gay is much easier to accept because then all those hated gays are immoral or the children of bad parents.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

This isn't quite right. People hate and fear homosexuals. That the nature vs. nurture argument comes up is a product of that hate and fear, not the cause of it. If you really hated the idea of someone being gay then it would terrify you to think your kid could just happen to turn out that way no matter what you do. The fiction of choosing to be gay is much easier to accept because then all those hated gays are immoral or the children of bad parents.

Homophobes can work around that; in my own church (context: I live in Northern Ireland), we had a guest speaker one Sunday who acknowledged that homosexuality is not a choice, then went on to describe people who "suffer from same-sex attraction". In other words, "It isn't a choice; it's a disease."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lobok posted:

The distinction isn't really critical to my point, though. Mutants being treated different from every other power source is a plot device. I'm fine with it, but people who protest mutants would also protest Spider-man.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Spiderman is black though, and Jewish as well, so anyone who protests him is an antisemitic racist just like J Jonah Jameson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

theflyingorc posted:

The distinction isn't really critical to my point, though. Mutants being treated different from every other power source is a plot device. I'm fine with it, but people who protest mutants would also protest Spider-man.

Yeah. Like in real life, how people who protest gay marriage also protest divorce and the Soviet Union never signed a non-aggression pact with Nazi Germany and everyone has a completely logical set of beliefs with no contradictions.

• Locked thread