Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Woffle posted:

As someone who has largely fallen out of love with the Zelda series due to it being so averse to change, I also wish Zelda kept an experimental spirit.

Also, man, all this love for DKC...

Donkey Kong Country, every single one of them, are all terrible and floaty games with possibly the worst art style this side of Clayfighter/Ballz 3D. The only good Donkey Kongs are the first one and DK Jr.

I am amazed people have any fondness for those games. Hell, even Miamoto hates them shits and he was kind of complicit in their making. I will DK shame forever because I think people liking it is a joke I am not in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Captain Internet posted:

Donkey Kong Country, every single one of them, are all terrible and floaty games with possibly the worst art style this side of Clayfighter/Ballz 3D. The only good Donkey Kongs are the first one and DK Jr.

Donkey Kong '94 for the Game Boy is pretty legit, although it's technically a Mario game. Maybe you've never heard of it but it's the first time we saw Mario with crazy acrobatics skills, I don't think the 3D Mario games exist in their current form if that game doesn't exist.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't talk poo poo about Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, yo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked Diddy Kong racing. All I saw of DKC was screenshots and videos and it just looked like a plasticky collect-stuff video game with jumping and platforms. It looked boring and it still does. I'm ok with other people liking it, though.

My favorite Zelda will probably always be Link's Awakening, and that's probably because I only had a Game Boy at the time and was thrilled to see the franchise come to the handheld and not be a scaled-back low-budget thing adapted from the NES. It's easily one of the best green-screen Game Boy games ever made.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DKC are the complete opposite of collect-stuff video games. They are very spartan, direct, linear platformers. You start on one end of the map, get to the other end, avoid monsters along the way. Two Kongs, each takes one hit, each has their own unique handling or means of attack. Grab some arbitrary items to get 1-ups, later games have a secret world if you care about 100% completion.

When Rare went 3D they went absolutely crazy. DKC64 is like a loving joke where you have multiple characters where each character has their own unique collectibles. Jet Force Gemini is my favorite of their 64 games and it pulls a Rayman by having you collect all the hidden objects in each level before you can even reach the last boss and if the main character doesn't have X amount of missiles you just can't beat the last boss.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Internet posted:

I am amazed people have any fondness for those games. Hell, even Miamoto hates them shits and he was kind of complicit in their making. I will DK shame forever because I think people liking it is a joke I am not in on.
If everyone around you appears to be an rear end in a top hat, perhaps the problem is not with them, but with you.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Donkey Kong 3 is pretty fun. It's definitely the best video game about hitting an ape in the butt with bug spray.

I think DKC looks okay but I did not have fun playing it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I thought people in this thread may be interested in this

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/14/dark-futures-clint-hocking/

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

2014's Retronauts Holiday Special is now live!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

I thought people in this thread may be interested in this

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/14/dark-futures-clint-hocking/

This is a good read, minus the weird "playing games with chicks" bits.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Captain Internet posted:

Hell, even Miamoto hates them shits

no

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The discussion of Bubsy's sexuality in this week's Abject Suffering had me in tears. Good stuff.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
You can call the DKC games "floaty" but I've never considered their physics to be bad. In fact, I considered the physics of DKC to be an example of really great platforming.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I think a lot of people don't actually know why they dislike Donkey Kong Country. I've never seen anyone call it floaty before, except for the water segments! :smugmrgw:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weird bleep posted:

I think a lot of people don't actually know why they dislike Donkey Kong Country. I've never seen anyone call it floaty before, except for the water segments! :smugmrgw:

For me it's largely just aesthetics. I think it's ugly, I think the levels are ugly, I think the characters are ugly. None of the mechanics are unique or solid enough to overcome it for me. I don't want to take anyone's enjoyment of it away from them, however.

EDIT: Oh, and DK94 totally owns. That game is great.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 16, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I hate to only pop in this thread when people don't like a game I enjoyed since that always ends up being discussed when I read this thread, but as far as DKC 1 and 2 go I played them for the first time about two months ago when I got my first SNES ever(I was a genesis kid) and I really enjoyed the gameplay for both. Very solid games, though I will agree the art is kind of dated since the rendered sprites can't stay as mind blowing as something with more of a "style" to it like Yoshi's Island. The music was amazing though, and while DKC1 has more linear level design, they're still pretty much a masterclass in "basic" platforming levels. The 2nd one was better all around, but I really, really hated how saving and moving from world to world cost coins. After awhile it wasn't that big of a deal, but the whole mechanic was really annoying.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So did that Rock Paper Shotgun podcast reboot only last one episode or is my podcast app not picking them up or is the time between episodes just really long?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you're using the Apple Podcast app, that's entirely possible, but mine's been fairly solid for the last few updates.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You think DKC is unappealing?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HEEEEEEYO

LOOK OUT DOWN BELOW

HERE HE COMES, BANANA SLAMMA

KONGO BONGO'S HEEEEERO

DONKEY KONG LET'S GO LET'S GO

HERE HE COMES, BANANA SLAMMA

OOOOOOOOOOWAH

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Probably the ugliest thing ever televised

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

So did that Rock Paper Shotgun podcast reboot only last one episode or is my podcast app not picking them up or is the time between episodes just really long?

Their official RSS feed (which is what iTunes uses) is here: http://rps.libsyn.com/webpage and the most recent episode is from September 25.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ah, ok it's not just me. It felt redundant after listening to Crat & Crowbar already, but it's still weird that they only did it for one episode this year.

In related news, a new Dota Today was released today, just two days after I reinstall Dota. COINCIDECE?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

You think DKC is unappealing?

I think this TV show is the biggest reason why I hate DK. It's just so bad...

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Please guys, don't bring up the TV show, I want to like Donkey Kong Country

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Eggie posted:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just remember the songs guys. Just remember the songs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Eggie posted:

Here

When you start to lose faith, the first game's soundtrack will make things all better. 2's is pretty great too, but I remember the first's more fondly so it's my go-to.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Invictus posted:

Probably the ugliest thing ever televised

You should send a lengthy email to idle thumbs about your adventures in poop barony.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dr. Stab posted:

You should send a lengthy email to idle thumbs about your adventures in poop barony.
There's not a whole lot to tell really

I bought 5 CAH Black Friday Bullshit boxes for future gag gifts, they are actual bull poo poo despite people thinking that was a not serious line in the description, but people are still paying 4-5 times what they originally cost for them anyways on ebay so I'm making 100 dollars off of 24 dollars investment. In bull poop.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
:lol:

That is a perfect real world distillation of the internet/memes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sounds full of poo poo to me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Captain Invictus posted:

I bought 5 CAH Black Friday Bullshit boxes for future gag gifts, they are actual bull poo poo despite people thinking that was a not serious line in the description, but people are still paying 4-5 times what they originally cost for them anyways on ebay so I'm making 100 dollars off of 24 dollars investment. In bull poop.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Capitalism!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
And I've been sending people poop in the mail for free :(

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just want to say that I was drunk last night and bought The Talos Principle mostly because Crate and Crowbar recommended it (and I was drunk) and it's pretty drat excellent so far. Every bit as well written as Portal, just in a completely different direction so far into the methodical melancholic that it's probably a useless comparison. I'm maybe one and a half worlds in (having collected a total of 4 gold stars, those things are a huge pain -- I feel like the endgame here will be pretty stretched out) and loving it. If they have a good sale for Christmas I'll be a) a little irked and b) overjoyed because I can buy it for people.

Pip does have a valid complaint, though -- it's hard to break down a question like 'how do you know that you're conscious' into multiple choice.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Captain Invictus posted:

I've met Max Temkin irl and absolutely believed it when it said it Literally poo poo

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there some kind of certificate? Couldn't you just collect some cowpies on a field and make way more money?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Also, http://poopsenders.com/ has been doing this for years and noone cared. CAH just has caché, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dr Suntory posted:

Is there some kind of certificate? Couldn't you just collect some cowpies on a field and make way more money?

Well, it is in a fancy box. Getting the boxes printed would presumably cost some money.

• Locked thread