Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

no i need a pan and a special phone app and a trip to the asian grocer to make my meal every night

somewhere on the 'top 100 worst things about living in maine' is 'all the asian groceries are lovely', supreme lmao if you live near a good one and don't go there regularly for fresh noodles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

fritz posted:

somewhere on the 'top 100 worst things about living in maine' is 'all the asian groceries are lovely', supreme lmao if you live near a good one and don't go there regularly for fresh noodles

there's one near where i live that has this little deli that makes some of the best chinese food in town

just this little kitchen in the back called joe's kitchen and it owns, once i forgot my wallet and the lady that ran the register covered the meal, i paid them back the next day

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

graph posted:

the garbage plate

which one

jk ask fyad

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bloody posted:

someone post the yosmeal that looked like dogshit on vomit photographed with a cellphone

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

neither of those are the ones i had in mind lmao

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

james has really stepped up his games

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

good thing he's stocked up on p-bismo

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its pretty funny that he couldn't find anywhere to take a picture of his meal that wasn't squalid

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
you can only cook "by ear" or get every quarter-teaspoon's worth of ingredients exactly accurate, there is no middle ground and there is no range of cases where one approach or the other makes more sense.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sham bam bamina! posted:

you can only cook "by ear" or get every quarter-teaspoon's worth of ingredients exactly accurate, there is no middle ground and there is no range of cases where one approach or the other makes more sense.

perhaps the truth.... is somewhere in the middle???????

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hubris.height posted:

its pretty funny that he couldn't find anywhere to take a picture of his meal that wasn't squalid

straight lollin forever if yr kitchen isn't clean

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

carry on then posted:

perhaps the truth.... is somewhere in the middle???????

Yes.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

theflyingexecutive posted:

straight lollin forever if yr kitchen isn't clean

i actually enjoy cleaning the kitchen :ohdear:

especially the cast iron because i use fire

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

whats that even supposed to be, i see lettuce on top (must be a garnish) and refried beans and cheese sauce on bottom

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Elder Postsman posted:

i actually enjoy cleaning the kitchen :ohdear:

especially the cast iron because i use fire

i need a fun way to clean the cast iron, describe this fire method

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

Same plus my cast iron is revolting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

keyboard vomit posted:

if i'm cooking a pork shoulder i just throw stuff into the pot and cook that poo poo without once using a measuring device

and i'm sure sometimes it turns out fantastic. and other times it's just 'meh,' but because of your lack of rigor, you have no idea why

take notes
develop a procedure
talk to people about what worked and didn't work

knowing how to braise a pork shoulder (technique) does not mean you have a magic ability to guesstimate the appropriate seasoning. a bouquet garni of "all the poo poo from the crisper" doesn't make the magic

fritz posted:

whats the fun in that

i mean ok obviously don't do stuff like tfe's no-egg brownies or substitute whole wheat flour for rice flour or stuff like that, but if you cant look at your pantry and come up with a recipe from scratch based on what you have on hand and have it turn out at least 'pretty good' then you're just some kind of lab tech

yeah this is the fantasy. it's bullshit. when you come up with a recipe from scratch based on what you have on hand, it's either extremely simple (meat and potatoes) or it's dumb loving luck

would you try to fix a car with leftover parts in your toolbox? would you a frame a house with the random scraps of lumber remaining from your last project?

for some reason cooking is supposed to be wizardry, creating something from nothing while flying by the seat of your pants. in all other crafts, people expect you to plan ahead, choose inputs appropriately, and measure twice / cut once.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ah, the famous 7/11 condiment salad with a side of right guard

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
since this thread is about food and kickstarters, I had an idea

what if yospos found a deserving kickstarter to fund, perhaps someone who wanted to open a restaurant in a rural area but has no chance without the support of an internet forum like yospos? don't you think that would be a worthwhile endeavor?

i'm even willing to give up buying my daughter christmas presents to donate to this. she's ok with it, she's 8 months old and will understand

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah this is the fantasy. it's bullshit. when you come up with a recipe from scratch based on what you have on hand, it's either extremely simple (meat and potatoes) or it's dumb loving luck

would you try to fix a car with leftover parts in your toolbox? would you a frame a house with the random scraps of lumber remaining from your last project?

for some reason cooking is supposed to be wizardry, creating something from nothing while flying by the seat of your pants. in all other crafts, people expect you to plan ahead, choose inputs appropriately, and measure twice / cut once.

last night i decided i wanted to make spinach calzones, so i defrosted a pack of dough and a box of spinach, then this evening i took the spinach out, squeezed out the water, fried it in olive oil with some onions and mushrooms, meanwhile i halved the dough and rolled the pieces out into triangles

when the vegetables were done cooking i added a little basil and oregano, spooned in a couple spoonfuls of ricotta and mixed in some grated jarlsberg (because we had it handy), then scooped it in the triangles, sealed them up, put them on a baking sheet, and cooked @ 450 for 15 minutes (these ##s were from the dough bag, my original plan was 400 degrees for 20 minutes, which would probably have worked just about as well)

at no point in this process was there a recipe involved beyond 'hey i have a rough idea how calzones are made' , the only measured ingredients were the spinach, b/c it came in a 10oz box, and the dough b/c it came frozen in a bag

here's another meal i made a couple weeks ago without aid of recipe. fry up a bunch of onions and a lot of garlic, like an entire chopped head, in butter until soft, add a can of chickpeas and some chopped tomatoes, along with some cumin and cook for a while until the texture's good, put in bowls and add mozzarella on top.

if you have a rough idea of what goes together with what, and a general knowledge of how to cook ingredients, you can make all sorts of foods and not need recipes beyond basic guidelines.

this obviously does not apply to baking.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

put a big lump of grated parm on top and brush it around

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I would expect a seasoned home cook like yourself to recognize old spice when he sees it smdh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

putting lettuce underneath warm/heavy things is so fail

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i'm pretty sure tori could defend this, were he raised on it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

[.... :words: ...]
if you have a rough idea of what goes together with what, and a general knowledge of how to cook ingredients, you can make all sorts of foods and not need recipes beyond basic guidelines.

great, you can produce some very basic meals without a recipe. that's a useful skill. but it's not how other people will judge your cooking. those ad-hoc meals are gonna be scattershot at best. sometimes it will be wonderful. sometimes it's merely edible. sometimes it doesn't even reach that level.

mastering technique without systematizing your work will not get you anywhere.

nobody, not even professionals, turns out truly great meals while futzing around with the ingredients on hand. they work hard to build repeatable processes.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Proteus4994 posted:

since this thread is about food and kickstarters, I had an idea

what if yospos found a deserving kickstarter to fund, perhaps someone who wanted to open a restaurant in a rural area but has no chance without the support of an internet forum like yospos? don't you think that would be a worthwhile endeavor?

i'm even willing to give up buying my daughter christmas presents to donate to this. she's ok with it, she's 8 months old and will understand

only if they serve the food piled high

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to where am i trying to get

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
jesus christ who cares

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

putting lettuce underneath warm/heavy things is so fail

what about a larb

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

great, you can produce some very basic meals without a recipe. that's a useful skill. but it's not how other people will judge your cooking. those ad-hoc meals are gonna be scattershot at best. sometimes it will be wonderful. sometimes it's merely edible. sometimes it doesn't even reach that level.

nobody, not even professionals, turns out truly great meals while futzing around with the ingredients on hand. they work hard to build repeatable processes.

no you're just an idiot that's bad at cooking

if you look at pretty much any good recipe it usually includes "to taste" somewhere, because they know that even the best recipe will be subjective at best, and variable due to ingredients available; maybe the stock you have on hand is a little weak, so you need to add more salt. what if you like more heat in a curry or something? add some more peppers.

the adage that cooking is art and baking is science tends to hold true in a lot of cases

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fritz posted:

what about a larb

food from cultures doesn't count

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i eat every meal from restaurants

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

If you actually know what you're doing you won't just find one recipe you like and cook it by the book, you'll consult a number of cookbooks look at the variations and subtleties that each chef choices, then apply your own knowledge of the ingredients you have at hand, the styles of the chefs your drawing inspiration from, and then add any personal preferences of your own. Ofc if you like where this goes than you keep returning to the recipe and tweaking it slightly until you get *perfection*.

That's how menu's are crafted. Ofc professional chef's don't do that everyday because they have restaurants to run and profits to make, but that how they will approach cooking a new dish. If your a decently competent home cook you should be doing the same with any meal you care about.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

lmao notorious bsd sperging in this thread is amazing

b-b-b-but you'll never be a 3 star michelin chegf IF U DONT FOLLOW A RECVIPE IN THE KICKSTARTER YOSPOS THREAD!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

You're all loving terrible posters who belong in kitten jail

Post some more kickstarters commensurate to you're posting

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

vodkat I keep thinking you're knuc and it's confusing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
ugh gently caress you gently caress you fuckyougghgsdf

$2811

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

uncurable mlady posted:

well to be honest it was kind of an exaggeration, i just use a scrubby brush and water and then wipe some oil on it and then put it on the biggest burner on my stove on high until it's smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

would you try to fix a car with leftover parts in your toolbox?

yes

• Locked thread