Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

true innovation. icq certainly couldn't have come up with this concept in like 1995

like we weren't doing this kind of thing with zephyr before icq was even "invented"

if your .zwgc.desc didn't incur noticeable delay on a DECstation 3100 you were doing something wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Stash Pads: Why New York Real Estate Is the New Swiss Bank Account

quote:

And so New Yorkers with garden-variety affluence—the kind of buyers who require mortgages—are facing disheartening price wars as they compete for scarce inventory with investors who may seldom even turn on a light switch. The Census Bureau estimates that 30 percent of all apartments in the quadrant from 49th to 70th Streets between Fifth and Park are vacant at least ten months a year.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well maybe they're a place for their executives to entertain while in NYC

who am I kidding...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ugh i wrote a post but deleted it post because even talking about it makes me ill

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I imagine most of those are sold unfinished, the $30 million penthouse in the millenium tower in SF did since they assumed [probably correctly] that whoever bought it would want the whole inside to exactly their specifications

or they don't really give a poo poo because it's their fifteenth pied-a-terre and they plan to use it two weeks a year and only bought it because it's the top floor of the tallest residential building in the world

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
wouldn't sea rises to san francisco bay be mitigated by a large dam? perhaps the bay itself could then be drained and turned into an enormous ball pit

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

keyboard vomit posted:

my city has an ordinance on the books that nothing can be taller than the capitol building

it actually owns and makes being downtown nice and open

i had a bedroom on spring street a joke from camp randall and the price tripled between 2005 and 2012.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

or they don't really give a poo poo because it's their fifteenth pied-a-terre and they plan to use it two weeks a year and only bought it because it's the top floor of the tallest residential building in the world

these people

eat them

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

they built two 15-story condo buildings here on the waterfront and one of them was so lovely they thought they had to knock it over and the other one has sold six units since opening in 2008 (lol)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

FamDav posted:

says the man who lives in a winnebago

lol

Jonny 290 posted:

winnebagos are like the Cadillac 300 of RVs - olds buy them on name recognition, youngs buy them for status because you're paying 2 to 2.5x the actual value of the thing, all for the name. they're nice, but not $42k for a 19 footer nice.

double lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also unoccupied "investment" units are probably a sign of the upcoming apocalypse and another reminder to never buy a condo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bobbilljim posted:

then taking a 2 hour dump

that's a p long workspank sesh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cold on a Cob posted:

also unoccupied "investment" units are probably a sign of the upcoming apocalypse and another reminder to never buy a condo

i have my dog poo poo around the ones that i see near our place in MV

they're really obvious since the tech nerds who rent here

a) don't buy/live in houses
b) have at least one or two pieces of furniture instead of exactly zero
c) generate garbage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the great thing about condo buildings, as opposed to all the other insane bubble investments: a building remains a capital asset as long as it's habitable.

when uber and klout and yo all go the great pets.com in the sky, nothing of consequence remains. nothing was built. society accrues no value from their past existence.

when a developer throws up a building and it stays 80% vacant for a few years, eventually poo poo gets sold for pennies on the dollar and yuppie condos become middle class apartments. bubbles come and go, buildings have a tendency to stick around

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i have my dog poo poo around the ones that i see near our place in MV

they're really obvious since the tech nerds who rent here

a) don't buy/live in houses
b) have at least one or two pieces of furniture instead of exactly zero
c) generate garbage

I duck out of the tech bubble thread for a 1000 posts due to forgetting to update my bookmarks to the new thread, and we're still talking about houses?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maluco Marinero posted:

I duck out of the tech bubble thread due to forgetting to update my bookmarks to the new thread, and we're still talking about houses?

the tech bubble and the bizarre things happening in property are tightly linked

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

agagagahghahaga why are holding companies for personal wealth legal I'm so mad about this always

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Maluco Marinero posted:

I duck out of the tech bubble thread for a 1000 posts due to forgetting to update my bookmarks to the new thread, and we're still talking about houses?

yes the most expensive property in the entire country will probably get brought up a few times in the tech bubble thread

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

agagagahghahaga why are holding companies for personal wealth legal I'm so mad about this always

why do you hate job creators

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the great thing about condo buildings, as opposed to all the other insane bubble investments: a building remains a capital asset as long as it's habitable.

when uber and klout and yo all go the great pets.com in the sky, nothing of consequence remains. nothing was built. society accrues no value from their past existence.

when a developer throws up a building and it stays 80% vacant for a few years, eventually poo poo gets sold for pennies on the dollar and yuppie condos become middle class apartments. bubbles come and go, buildings have a tendency to stick around

well except for the part where the condos are 450 to maaaaybe 900 sq. ft. the only middle class gonna buy/rent those is DINKs.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

well except for the part where the condos are 450 to maaaaybe 900 sq. ft. the only middle class gonna buy/rent those is DINKs.

don't forget permanently single tech nerds

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
our landlord, a reasonable man by all other standards, said we could buy the 505 sqft apartment we're renting for a cool $400,000 if we wanted.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

when they were expensive, they were inhabited by DINKs

when they fall into the middle class, all of a sudden you have regular families living in them. yes, families with children. and often only one parent. you know, regular americans.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
kill the rich

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when they were expensive, they were inhabited by DINKs

when they fall into the middle class, all of a sudden you have regular families living in them. yes, families with children. and often only one parent. you know, regular americans.

i can only imagine two kid+ families living in the 1 bedroom + "den"* condos we've been building here for the last five years

* den is actually a not especially large walk in closet.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i can only imagine two kid+ families living in the 1 bedroom + "den"* condos we've been building here for the last five years

* den is actually a not especially large walk in closet.

you do not want to imagine it, but that's life for regular people

(or did you think property values could double and double again while wages stagnated for forty years and no one would notice?)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

let me tell you about condos in toronto hint: they don't build them very well and some are barely habitable

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i sure hope that nobody ever lives in this place 2 adults + 2 kids + pets

literally my apartment

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Beast of Bourbon posted:

literally my apartment

i'm the countertop waifu unit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you do not want to imagine it, but that's life for regular people

(or did you think property values could double and double again while wages stagnated for forty years and no one would notice?)

i know plenty of regular people around here. the fun is, they manage to live less cramped than that now because the neigbourhood is old purpose built rental buildings. back in the heady days of the 50s, 60s, and 70s when they used to build crazy things like two and three bedroom apartments.

so far the only idiots cramming themselves into the sub 600sq. ft. condos are DINKs

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Gawker musta got spooked. Expect A Gentler Valleywag In 2015

quote:

“If I had my druthers, I’d write about AI, and supercomputers, and fusion energy. I don’t really care about who’s loving whom,” new Valleywag editor Dan Lyons tells me, signaling a tone shift for the tech tabloid. “Even when I did the fake Steve stuff, I had a rule that I never wanted to write about Steve’s family or his wife. It was just about the workplace.”

That could be a shock to people who liked the unapologetic snark of the old ‘wag. Lyons seems interested in a gentler voice. “I’ve had a couple [stories] at Daily Beast and Newsweek where I thought, ‘Should I write this story or should I not? It’s going to piss people off, and people I don’t want to piss off.’”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

let me tell you about condos in toronto hint: they don't build them very well and some are barely habitable

it's be great when the glasswall is giving out all at once in 10 years tops on pretty much every building built in the last five years

cityplace is going to look post-apocalyptic

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

cityplace is going to look post-apocalyptic

apparently some of the units already do on the inside lol

toronto learned exactly nothing from the vancouver condo crisis and subsequent rules they put into place, it's sad and hosed up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i was a kid we had some family friends in nyc who lived in a 1br. they had a living room, a kitchen, the bedroom, and a bathroom. the dad and the son slept on separate beds in the bedroom, which was basically just the kid's room except at night, and the mom slept on a pull out couch in the living room.

to answer the immediate question, i have no idea

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
you shoulda asked why his dad wasn't a doctor so he didn't have to have his family live in a shithole lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

literally my apartment

pets are a luxury out of the reach of the proletariat

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

when i was a kid we had some family friends in nyc who lived in a 1br. they had a living room, a kitchen, the bedroom, and a bathroom. the dad and the son slept on separate beds in the bedroom, which was basically just the kid's room except at night, and the mom slept on a pull out couch in the living room.

to answer the immediate question, i have no idea

that's quite luxurious.

new york legal code about housing poo poo posted:

(1) Every person occupying an apartment in a Class A or Class B multiple dwelling or in a tenant-occupied apartment in a one- or two-family dwelling shall have a liveable area of not less than 80 square feet. The maximum number of persons who may occupy any such apartment shall be determined by dividing the total liveable floor area of the apartment by 80 square feet. For every two persons who may lawfully occupy an apartment, one child under four may also reside therein, except that a child under four is permitted in an apartment lawfully occupied by one person. No residual floor area of less than 80 square feet shall be counted in determining the maximum permitted occupancy for such apartment. The floor area of a kitchen or kitchenette shall be included in measuring the total liveable floor area of an apartment but the floor area for private halls foyers, bathrooms or[ water closets shall be excluded.

emphasis mine

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

pets are a luxury out of the reach of the proletariat

our cats are the most adorable 1%

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

literally my apartment

i think you put the bed in the wrong room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob